Horseshoe Resort

Insights into Horseshoe Resort

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Fun place to work.

Great place to work , great people. Very low pay for what you do. Sometimes hard to get time to take your break depending on staffing levels and your manager and depending on what role you have.Nice perks though you get an employee discount and if availability allows for it you can use the facilities free of charge which is an amazing perk.For people on the front line though there seems to be no recognition from the company that Barrie is one of the most expensive cities to live in in Canada as the pay is very close to minimum wage.

Pros

Nice people to work with. Access to on site recreational opportunities.

Cons

Standard hours, short breaks, low pay.

An organisation is built from the top.

Poor upper management has led horseshoe to go downhill over the past 5 years, toxic work culture but good peers. Dumb decisions are made, most of the directors/management (not all, there are some nice ones) come in for a few hours usually seen drinking at the crazy horse while they watch everything, and complain that frontline staff are not "busy" enough which causes people from different departments to be doing the work of other departments when it is not busy, leading to poor customer service, and lower morale. Because of this disconnect between the people actually doing work, and the decision making from management the customer and working experience has gone downhill. Raises are not given(some supervisors got a 50 cent raise), Breaks are very strict, and the working environment is bad, so there is a high turnover. I have never seen a thank you or "you did a good job" from anyone to anyone. It surprises me that horseshoe has not run into any constructive dismissal lawsuits over the past few years, or that skyline has not purged upper management.

Pros

In nature

Cons

No real benefits beside a slight discount at their stores and places to eat. no raises.

Stressful and demanding

The hospitality industry is stressful and demanding. Work demands can be unpredictable and unreasonable. Very difficult for work life balance. Best suited to young people without family demands and commitments.

Productive and fun place to work.

Great environment with great employees and coworkers. I really enjoy my time there and I think it is a great place to work for any age and experience.

Great Place to work if you enjoy the outdoors.

It is a great place to work and can be a lot of fun especially if you like the outdoors. You have the opportunity to use the facility before and after work hours. Company supplies outdoor winter jackets/uniform.

Do as I Say, Not as I Do

Cafeteria manager sets poor example - says one thing and does another. Plays favourites. Doesn't work well under stress/pressure. Needs mature supervision on weekends during peak ski season not operations managed by teenagers. Lack of customer service training and poor quality control. Portion sizes are inconsistent; management does not carry.

Horrible Upper Management, great staff

I only worked there about 7 months, the Night Manager was good but the Front desk and GM were horrible to their staff. The staff is amazing, underpaid and under appreciated by Management.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Upper Management is atrocious!

Horrible experience

I have never worked for a company that has no structure at all. The management couldnt care less and after a year working for them they dont even know your name.

Loved my job worked long hours

Started working 8-4 that lasted for a few weeks then it was 7-4 The expect a lot fir little pay Don’t pay overtime or banked time Some days were 7-11pm so very long days when you had to do your regular job 7-4 then be Duty Manager until 11 pm

Pros

Free golf and skiing

Cons

Always worked over 40 hours per week

High Pace work environment with great management

Was a very fast moving environment, management was fun but knew when to be serious. They really value their employees. They allowed our skills to be used where it would benefit the employee and the customer.

Pros

Free Soft Drinks

Cons

No Breaks

I would never go back

The front desk manager was very rude from day one, assuming people are "unfit" for the job ( even when I proved her wrong) Very disorganized with shift and always blamed me for leaving early when I finished my work early and she had nothing else to give me. I voiced my concerns but that didn't seem to be enough. Other staff were great but management was defiantly lacking.

Pros

Great perks

Cons

Have to pay for uniform.

its a typical day at work

seated people on and off lifts reported injuries got to snowboard and ski after work anytime management was always helpful when needed got to go tubing

Pros

ski and snowboard anytime

Cons

working every weekend

fun atmosphere poor management

love working with the other staff member I made a lot of friends. the management is very poor. the place is very unorganized and you never get rewarded for your work. i have worked there for 6 years and have never gotten a pay raise. the place is very unprofessional and does not care about its staff

good staff

Polite, kind, and hard working staff. Always servicing customers with a smile. Always lots of work to do. Free staff pass to the slope if you work there which was a bonus.

great seasonal work

Great place to work in a fast paced environment, great staff and great customers. Horseshoe Resort has many things going for it and an exciting future.

Clean, Friendly Staff

Friendly Staff Fun Training Productive days, on feet for hours very easy schedules great benefits fun and organized environment learned basic cleaning and customer service skills

Great first job

It was a great first job, however the management was questionable and so were the working conditions at several points throughout my years there. Break were far and few inbetween as well as shifts were not great! Great people to work with tho!

great employees, bad management

working in the spa, the management doesn't treat the employees well. Horseshoe itself, will only employ part-time to avoid paying benefits. lots of hour cuts. not reliable. the drive is very dangerous in the winter and its just not worth the work.

Pros

free skiing etc.

Cons

no hours

fun place to work at

A typical day at work is pretty busy we normally get a 30 minute break between classes sometimes more all depends on booking. i like working there all the staff are nice.

Pros

discounts on everything, free ski pass

Cons

schedule is never really set, things can change at anytime.

Night Auditor

A typical day at work is processing all the receipts from the different outlets of the resort and closing out the day. I have learned a lot about time management. The hardest part of the job is that it is an 8 hour shift from 11pm-7am which is hard on the body and internal clock.

great for people who love outside

lots of time outside cleaning and maintaing the resort, cutting grass, wattering flowers, and fixing irregation. great to work for.

Pros

outside

Cons

early start

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horseshoe Resort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8