Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
Great environment with great employees and coworkers. I really enjoy my time there and I think it is a great place to work for any age and experience.
Poor upper management has led horseshoe to go downhill over the past 5 years, toxic work culture but good peers.
Dumb decisions are made, most of the directors/management (not all, there are some nice ones) come in for a few hours usually seen drinking at the crazy horse while they watch everything, and complain that frontline staff are not "busy" enough which causes people from different departments to be doing the work of other departments when it is not busy, leading to poor customer service, and lower morale.

Because of this disconnect between the people actually doing work, and the decision making from management the customer and working experience has gone downhill.

Raises are not given(some supervisors got a 50 cent raise), Breaks are very strict, and the working environment is bad, so there is a high turnover. I have never seen a thank you or "you did a good job" from anyone to anyone.

It surprises me that horseshoe has not run into any constructive dismissal lawsuits over the past few years, or that skyline has not purged upper management.
Pros
In nature
Cons
No real benefits beside a slight discount at their stores and places to eat. no raises.
The hospitality industry is stressful and demanding. Work demands can be unpredictable and unreasonable. Very difficult for work life balance. Best suited to young people without family demands and commitments.
It is a great place to work and can be a lot of fun especially if you like the outdoors. You have the opportunity to use the facility before and after work hours. Company supplies outdoor winter jackets/uniform.
Cafeteria manager sets poor example - says one thing and does another. Plays favourites. Doesn't work well under stress/pressure.
Needs mature supervision on weekends during peak ski season not operations managed by teenagers.

Lack of customer service training and poor quality control. Portion sizes are inconsistent; management does not carry.
I only worked there about 7 months, the Night Manager was good but the Front desk and GM were horrible to their staff.
The staff is amazing, underpaid and under appreciated by Management.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Upper Management is atrocious!
I have never worked for a company that has no structure at all. The management couldnt care less and after a year working for them they dont even know your name.
Started working 8-4 that lasted for a few weeks then it was 7-4
The expect a lot fir little pay

Don’t pay overtime or banked time

Some days were 7-11pm so very long days when you had to do your regular job 7-4 then be Duty Manager until 11 pm
Pros
Free golf and skiing
Cons
Always worked over 40 hours per week
Was a very fast moving environment, management was fun but knew when to be serious. They really value their employees. They allowed our skills to be used where it would benefit the employee and the customer.
Pros
Free Soft Drinks
Cons
No Breaks
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Horseshoe Resort?
The front desk manager was very rude from day one, assuming people are "unfit" for the job ( even when I proved her wrong) Very disorganized with shift and always blamed me for leaving early when I finished my work early and she had nothing else to give me. I voiced my concerns but that didn't seem to be enough. Other staff were great but management was defiantly lacking.
Pros
Great perks
Cons
Have to pay for uniform.
seated people on and off lifts
reported injuries

got to snowboard and ski after work anytime

management was always helpful when needed

got to go tubing
Pros
ski and snowboard anytime
Cons
working every weekend
love working with the other staff member I made a lot of friends. the management is very poor. the place is very unorganized and you never get rewarded for your work. i have worked there for 6 years and have never gotten a pay raise. the place is very unprofessional and does not care about its staff
Polite, kind, and hard working staff. Always servicing customers with a smile. Always lots of work to do. Free staff pass to the slope if you work there which was a bonus.
Great place to work in a fast paced environment, great staff and great customers. Horseshoe Resort has many things going for it and an exciting future.
Friendly Staff
Fun Training

Productive days, on feet for hours

very easy schedules

great benefits

fun and organized environment

learned basic cleaning and customer service skills
It was a great first job, however the management was questionable and so were the working conditions at several points throughout my years there. Break were far and few inbetween as well as shifts were not great! Great people to work with tho!
working in the spa, the management doesn't treat the employees well. Horseshoe itself, will only employ part-time to avoid paying benefits. lots of hour cuts. not reliable. the drive is very dangerous in the winter and its just not worth the work.
Pros
free skiing etc.
Cons
no hours
A typical day at work is pretty busy we normally get a 30 minute break between classes sometimes more all depends on booking. i like working there all the staff are nice.
Pros
discounts on everything, free ski pass
Cons
schedule is never really set, things can change at anytime.
A typical day at work is processing all the receipts from the different outlets of the resort and closing out the day. I have learned a lot about time management. The hardest part of the job is that it is an 8 hour shift from 11pm-7am which is hard on the body and internal clock.
lots of time outside cleaning and maintaing the resort, cutting grass, wattering flowers, and fixing irregation. great to work for.
Pros
outside
Cons
early start
Busy days, fast paced, great co-workers. guests are enjoyable to interact with and ensure their vacation is memorable . up grades around resort are great for guests