Hornblower Niagara Cruises Employee Reviews

Complete Sh#$show
Guest Experience Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON13 June 2019
Minimum wage, not a living wage of $17.99 per hour (2017) as per Ontario Living Wage Network.
Exposure to excessive heat, limited to wearing ball cap.
No parking lot for staff.
Very high volume of visitors upwards of 25000 daily in July August.
Very small and hot break room. Only one microwave for entire staff.
1/2 hour break is more like 15 minutes as break room is far away from relief station.
Heavy gossiping like a bunch of parrots at the zoo.
Have to deal with entitled, ignorant, rude East Indian visitors perpetually.
Poor air quality when working in lower elevator tunnel that traps global disease.
Standing on concrete all day.
Weak support from management.
Irregular work schedule.
No vacation time permitted.

*Check out Maid of the Mist fully electric boats coming 2019 season.
Pros
Global Eye Candy
Cons
Like working at Auschwitz. Management too busy counting the safe.
Wish I could have come back this season!
Guest Experience Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON13 June 2018
I have worked for Hornblower Niagara Cruises for the past 2 seasons. I recently got a job in my field of study and I am disappointed that I am not working there this summer. I highly recommend this company as it is very team oriented, fair, and thoroughly takes care of its employees. They have benefits for long service contract employees. A lot of employee events. Not going to kid you the business is very busy, especially during the summer months. Time flies on your shift. Great working outside. My management team was very friendly and appreciative of my work.
Pros
food discount, free uniforms, work outside, great view of Niagara Falls, complimentary tickets, employee events
Cons
busy, standing, working in all weather, little vacation
contract work
midnight cleaner (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 June 2018
if it says contract and tells you will work for 8 month dont believe it you will be terminated in 2 months you boss pretend's he listens but will turn on you so quick to protect his job they went throught a total of 20guys since the lead on midnight was hired and only 1 guy has stayed in hes only been working 1 year, this older guy will start rumours to get you fired and hr will believe him , please do not work for this company unless your only looking for a couple pay checks no expectations should be put in this midnight position, the lead on midnight will walk around all night and watch you because he does not trust any one but also dont expect him to work , in the end he will tell hr u do nothing and he does all the work
Pros
you get 2 15minute paid breaks
Cons
your lead will try to get all the credit for your hard work and you will get none
not enough time for breaks & washrooms too far away.
Ticket and Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON4 May 2018
Most managers arrogant. Think they're above the workers who work their butts off for minimum wage, while bringing in thousands of $ per day for the company. The prices have increased. A boat ride to the falls isn't that long and is packed.. Being up close to the Falls is amazing if yr able to get thru everyone to the front of the boat. Long hrs. No benefits. Seasonal. Workers in booths, on boats underappreciated.
Pros
work near the Falls in interesting atmosphere
Cons
long hrs, Too hot out & sweat a lot some days, if a/c breaks down in yr ticket booth you can't work in it bc its like an oven.
Good People under too much corporate control
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON11 April 2018
Operations is filled with wonderful individuals who go out of their way to work together. However, the same cannot be said for the management. They lead employees with false information and do not value their efforts or time. Sales and Marketing Dept lacks professionalism and is not integrate.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
lack of professionalism by management
Lots of tourists either crazy busy or really slow.
Food and Beverage Retail Counter Server (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON17 March 2018
Learned how to work a cash register. Became Marine Emergency Duties (MED) certified. Management was there whenever you called for their help. Workplace had some drama between coworkers but overall a great company to work with. The hardest part was dealing with tourists that would not listen to you regarding safety and other laws/ regulations. The most enjoyable part was seeing so many new people from all over the world.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
No vacations
Productive workplace at the Hornblower
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON3 February 2018
Working at the Hornblower can be difficult, especially dealing with people but the benefits there are working with great people and a great environment.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
Fun place to work in the summer
Guest Experience Ambassador (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 October 2017
Fun to work here if you enjoy working with lots of people and interactions with people from all over the world. Could work on current management and policys that are in place but do not benefit current employees.
Simply Amazing...
Food, Beverage & Retail Counter Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON26 July 2017
I have worked here for for 2 seasons now and I can't begin to explain how much I LOVE it here. People from all departments are super nice, friendly and outgoing. We receive free uniforms, wage progression, benefits, complimentary tickets, employees events, tuition reimbursement and so much more.

One of my favourite things about Hornblower Niagara is the recruiting and promoting from within. They are huge about allowing their current employees to go from role to role and being able to climb the ladder to better positions.

Management here is great, they are easy to talk to, approachable and looking out for the employees best interest. It is like a family environment coming into work everyday and we aren't stuck in the same area for the full 8 hours. We are able to move around and talk to customers.

Hornblower also pays overtime at 40 hours!! As a student, I work as much as I can, and with the competitive wages and getting paid overtime at 40 hours is a greater benefit for me.

Overall, it is a great company with so many perks. I love it here!
Pros
Salary, uniforms, benefits, employee events, people I work with and so much more!
Kind and friendly staff, helpful management
Guest Experience (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON7 June 2017
This is my first season with Hornblower Niagara Cruises. The 'new hire' training and on-boarding process made me feel very welcomed and well prepared to do my job. Management was more than willing to answer any and all questions I had, no matter how small. Very friendly, team oriented atmosphere. Great place to work and meet new people vacationing from all over the world.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, uniforms, pay & benefits
fun place great people to work with
Ticket and Retail Agent (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 April 2017
this place has a great atmoshphere the people are awesome le lsometimes the gusest can be hard to handle at sometimes managemnt is ok there is alot of things they do for the employees
Wonderful place to work seasonally
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON7 April 2017
I worked for 3 seasons. SOME supervisors were not good due to lack of training, but the majority were. I worked in two different depts and if not for a personal injury suffered off the job, I would still be working there. I loved it. Where else can you get a Million dollar view to enjoy free every day and get paid while you're at it. If you have the right attitude that no matter whether you are taking tickets, handing out ponchos, recycling, emptying the garbage, serving drinks, or working in some capacity on the boats, it is a great place to work. You get to meet people from all over the world, and provide them with lasting memories of a once in a lifetime experience.
Pros
Great team mates and a million dollar view off all winter
Cons
Outside in all types of weather, snow, rain, sleet, hot sun. Seasonal work and favoritism DOES exist
Working here is a mess
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls22 March 2017
I don't recommend to anybody to work there. A lot of rumours, drama, and jealousy. Bad management, they don't know the meaning of "Team works" . It is the worse place to work in all Niagara Falls.
Pros
Nice natural environment
Cons
They are cheap.
Lack of Respect
Food & Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON24 January 2017
Good job for a high school student or someone looking for a beautiful environment to work in but overall terrible company. There is fighting among staff, managers and captains. Due to the pettiness, many times hard-working employees are swept into some drama that didn't involve them to begin with. Manager's are regularly disrespectful to staff, specifically the food and beverage servers as well as deck hands. After awhile seeing the Falls up close and personal becomes the only positive moment of the day working here. It really is too bad, the potential for Hornblower being a positive force for not just the community but it's employees is there, just regularly left untapped. Recommend for young kids who need or haven't had the experience of working amongst daily gossip and managerial incompetence.
Pros
Free lunches every so often
Cons
Manager's and Captains openly argue among themselves
Don't work here
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Niagara23 January 2017
I understand taking a job because you must but don't have high expectations for this organization. I worked there for about a year in the engineering operations side and it was terrible and I was treated better than most employees there who are disposable in the eyes of management.
Good summer job for a student at best!
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Management, compensation, general morale
Fun place to work - great atmosphere
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON20 January 2017
I had the pleasure of joining the Hornblower team last season. I haven't worked in a few years and was nervous about going back to work. Everyone who I worked with were so nice and welcoming. The management team gave me enough training to make sure I would be successful in my job. It was really great meeting people from all over the world and enjoy the outdoors while working. I look forward to going back again this season
Pros
comfortable uniforms, nice staff
Only good thing about working there is the view
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 August 2016
Management does not communicate with each other and in turn their staff. They reward those who lie about others and break the rules with promotions and benefits.
Many of the staff are honest hard working people, several how ever do nothing all day except spread rumours about others, they have created an environment of suspicion and mistrust. There is a lot of infighting between departments and contradictions in orders causing confusion among staff which reflects poorly on the company when it impacts on the customers experience.

The tour guides who are not Canadian are very rude and abusive to staff and management would rather fire good staff then find a way to deal with the mysogonist tour guides.

Management breaks the law on many occasions ignoring local liquor laws, and health and safety laws. They also ignore the criminal code when it comes to guests verbally and physically abusing staff.
Pros
Surrounded by beautiful scenery
Cons
No support from management, some departments get year end bonus while others do not.
Great people to work with
Guest Experience Group Arrivals Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON30 June 2016
This is a great place to work, people are what make it worth going back to everyday!

would recomend to others however I ahve no further advancment in my career with this company.
Pros
free boat rides
Cons
nothing is done on time
fun and family feeling workplace
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON10 September 2014
place where you meet every nationality. great place to work. meet alot of nice people to work with. great view as you work. hard to stand all day but I managed, lol.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
long hours standing
Terrible Workplace
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON15 July 2014
Terrible workplace to work
To start off with, the management is absolutely terrible. Whenever asking a manager a questing via email or in person, would never get a direct response and often waited weeks before finally getting a response. The pay was terrible (minimum wage), when asking if we (deckhands) would ever get paid more, a laugh in the face would result and only if you went to school to become a mate / captain. The Human Resource team is never around to help the employees, would often say that the employees use too many supplies meanwhile they have top of the line coffee machines in their offices. The Senior Captain only got his job by betraying his old one, and was the worst person to gain the title, as he didn't care about the people just himself. Often when you asked him a question he would just walk away and do something else. Schedules were usually sent the night before the shift even when promised a two week notice. Would not go back to work for this company
Pros
Nice view
Cons
Terrible management