Horizon North Employee Reviews

Decent
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
Decent job, had to balance home life with work life. Staff are nice, most guest are quite enjoyable to be around. Good job for working up the ladder.Overall a good experience.
nice camps
Chef/Baker/breakfast cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2018
overall nice camps found management to be a bit fractured and at times placement to be very unorganized and not keeping on top of program. Otherwise working conditions were very agreeable.
Pros
nice facilities
Cons
placement
Great Company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2018
This was a position held at a hard time during the downturn, Horizon North stays on its toes, innovated, and goes against the norm of the industry. Lota to learn here.
camp attendant
House Keeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 August 2018
Safety is the most important apart for the customers and myself having my tickets with my experience of 10 years with my experience to provide great customer services and being a good team member I believe that my skills and experience would be suitable for this job.
Keep Looking.
"Production Worker" (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 August 2018
All you will find here are sub-par wages and miserable people everywhere.
Management treats people terribly, and there is currently a freeze on time off requests. During summer.

Ideal place to learn how to use tools if you've never worked a day in your life though.
Pros
Great environment for the useless.
Cons
Supressed wages, everyone hates their lives, management is poor.
busy
Housekeeper/Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 July 2018
enjoyed working with the new people I have met on the way I loved meeting new co workers made the job more fun but they need to improve on the managers they think they own the worker they didn't make it fun the work loads were very hard and you had to keep up and not fal behind
Pros
free room and board
Cons
doing over time and not being paid for them
A great place to work once you get to the job. Hard to get to Edmonton, so you can be sent out.
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  40 kms east of Fort St. John BC10 July 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity to learn many of the different jobs available in a camp atmosphere. I also enjoyed working in the office and learning the different programs.
Pros
Room and board, great food
Cons
No job security, with poor economy
good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
not much to say really you got on the truck /bus they made sure you got to your camp and you go to work cleaning rooms your hitch ends you go home and come back its easy peezy and good work
Pros
money
Cons
mind your business in camp and life is good
Very productive and fast paced environment.
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2018
Working with Horizon North was a great experience. I had met a lot of friends and seen some family members when I got transferred to Kitikmeot Caterers upnorth. That’s where I’m originally from Nunavut and it was just an hour from my hometown Gjoa Haven.
Pros
Free food free gym
Cons
Long hours of work and a long rotation
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2018
This company is a camp and catering company that provides all the needs required and more for workers set in remote location. Excellent food, accommodations and facilities. They have TV rooms, dinning rooms, fitness room in the larger camps. Highest standards in safety.
Pros
Good place to work, gain experience and save money
Cons
Isolated for usually 3 weeks on and 1 week off
Good coworkers, poor management.
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Jansen Discovery Lodge4 March 2018
- Working from either 10am to 10pm or vice versa, but have fifteen minute breaks, one half hour break and a two hour fatigue break.

- Work for fourteen days with seven days off.

- Hardest part of the job is getting use to either night or day shift if not use to it.

- Most enjoyable part of the job were the coworkers with many of them being difficult to replace.

- Kitchen can have positive environment with the right coworkers around and they make time go by faster and less stressful
Pros
Free meals, own bedroom with bathroom, sink and shower, along with wi-fi, good coworkers.
Cons
Poor management, obvious favoritism in company and treating employees as if they're expendable.
work
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 February 2018
Learned how to work under stress, pressure and in a fast paced work environment. Built on my ability to pay close attention to small details. Learned good time management.
small camps
Lead Baker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
long shifts
hard work with hardly any help
not much ability to approve on skills as the work day is crammed full due to lack if help
fun meeting ppl out in the camps
Pros
free food
Cons
good gym some honest people
chef (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB29 January 2018
fast paced job dealt with a lot of under-qualified workers which were not properly orientated at head office. Promised a certain rate of pay/contract never seemed to coincide with camp managers. Placement would send workers to site with no common experience in the field they were sent for eg. Chef would ask, have you ever baked before in a 250 man camp or any where else and most times reply no I was supposed to be a general helper or camp attendant. I did work with some good workers, good gym.
Pros
paid 12 hrs
Cons
no support from head office
Great
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2018
Everything was great working for horizon north. I met lots of people and work at awesome lodges. I really recommend. I myself would like to go back to horizon north.
Good
Good
good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 January 2018
Good place to work. Pay is good and never had less than a full work week. Shop is unorganized and shop tools lacking, wore out, broken or missing. Home almost all nights.
Pros
never sent home for lack of work
Cons
management
Its Good Money
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2017
Safety meeting
Safety culture
Meet lots of interesting people
the hardest part about the job is being far away from family, being in a rig camp no cell service.

saved money for school and things that i came to camp to save up for.

Thank you Horizon.
Pros
good people and good money
Cons
far from family
Former trucker pretending to be a chef
rig cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2017
One miserable week was all it took me to see enough. If you are not very serious about cooking, like maybe too weak to work in the city, and you enjoy drama from emotionally unstable women, as their field staff is 75% female, then maybe give it a try. The rig cook manager shoulda stuck with truck driving. Not good for males, with talent.. A safety officer who can cook is what they expect.
Pros
industry average pay
Cons
Only girls word is taken
If your looking to be treated like a slave look no further apply now.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 April 2017
Worked at horizon for 4 years guys in the field are good but management is the biggest joke you will ever see. Right from the top to the bottom.
Wouldn't recommend working here for unless you want to be slave labour and get peanuts.
Do not recommend working here at all.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Good company to work for
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2017
they are a good company to work for when it comes to recognizing your job and performance, but some of the management are not very good and not really understanding.
Pros
Safety points