Horizon North Employee Reviews

Pay is decent
Construction (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 January 2019
All the work takes you to many different places in Northern Canada, BC, Alberta, NWT , Nunavut depending on the department that you work in. most all the crews are good to work with.
Pros
nice people
Cons
dont always have steady work
Run
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 December 2018
You guys love the long hours without being paid ot??? What's wrong with you.equal pay for equal work.come on already.stupid.these camp companies hire immigrants who cant read,write or speak English.how can they do their job?cant read walk downs,labels on chemical bottles,cant fill out flha.so how are sv supposed to work with this?makes no sense.also they do half the work.literally.the rooms are filthy and there is no getting them to do better.HN will at some point start losing contracts due to the lack of cleanliness.seen it happen to other camp companies.this one is no different .this is a catering company..only do 2 things. Cook and clean.the camp I'm at isn't doing either very well.
Pros
Cons
Immigrants doing nothing for same pay as me
Good Employer
CAMP ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 December 2018
Good benefits, job security, great camp atmosphere. Hard work, but decent pay; good way to save money; it'll be good to be up North again. Excited to start working for them again!
Decent
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
Decent job, had to balance home life with work life. Staff are nice, most guest are quite enjoyable to be around. Good job for working up the ladder.Overall a good experience.
Lots of great people
Lodge Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 September 2018
North Sands lodge had a lot of great people working there which made it fun. It was hard work but everyone enjoyed it and made the 21 days bearable. I would work there again.
Pros
food
Cons
long shifts
nice camps
Chef/Baker/breakfast cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2018
overall nice camps found management to be a bit fractured and at times placement to be very unorganized and not keeping on top of program. Otherwise working conditions were very agreeable.
Pros
nice facilities
Cons
placement
It was very different and an enjoyable work enviroment
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Jansen, SK13 September 2018
I've learned a lot about safety working with Horizon North Logistics. I really enjoyed the management and my fellow co workers .. i believe in safe and comfortable work enviroment
Pros
I enjoyed the free lunches
Cons
long hours yes
Great Company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2018
This was a position held at a hard time during the downturn, Horizon North stays on its toes, innovated, and goes against the norm of the industry. Lota to learn here.
camp attendant
House Keeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 August 2018
Safety is the most important apart for the customers and myself having my tickets with my experience of 10 years with my experience to provide great customer services and being a good team member I believe that my skills and experience would be suitable for this job.
Keep Looking.
"Production Worker" (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 August 2018
All you will find here are sub-par wages and miserable people everywhere.
Management treats people terribly, and there is currently a freeze on time off requests. During summer.

Ideal place to learn how to use tools if you've never worked a day in your life though.
Pros
Great environment for the useless.
Cons
Supressed wages, everyone hates their lives, management is poor.
busy
Housekeeper/Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 July 2018
enjoyed working with the new people I have met on the way I loved meeting new co workers made the job more fun but they need to improve on the managers they think they own the worker they didn't make it fun the work loads were very hard and you had to keep up and not fal behind
Pros
free room and board
Cons
doing over time and not being paid for them
A great place to work once you get to the job. Hard to get to Edmonton, so you can be sent out.
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  40 kms east of Fort St. John BC10 July 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity to learn many of the different jobs available in a camp atmosphere. I also enjoyed working in the office and learning the different programs.
Pros
Room and board, great food
Cons
No job security, with poor economy
It was interesting
Field Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops BC9 July 2018
Workday 7 am to 5 pm
I learned a bit about Safety and about construction
Management was fair
Most people were good to work with
Hardest part was not enough work sometimes.
good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
not much to say really you got on the truck /bus they made sure you got to your camp and you go to work cleaning rooms your hitch ends you go home and come back its easy peezy and good work
Pros
money
Cons
mind your business in camp and life is good
Very productive and fast paced environment.
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2018
Working with Horizon North was a great experience. I had met a lot of friends and seen some family members when I got transferred to Kitikmeot Caterers upnorth. That’s where I’m originally from Nunavut and it was just an hour from my hometown Gjoa Haven.
Pros
Free food free gym
Cons
Long hours of work and a long rotation
I absolutely love it here!
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, (camp job)25 May 2018
I've worked here for about a year and i would be sad to leave, but unfortunately i need to take my next step. This has been the best place so far that i have worked at
Pros
Great environment
Cons
away from home 3 weeks at a time
Great People, management is hard to deal with
Project Manager/Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
People were always great to deal with on a daily. The upper management could be difficult to deal with at times, when it would come to changing process and systems.
Operations
Operations Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 April 2018
The company can be unorganized, but overall not bad management is good pay isn't bad work/life balanced isn't considered by the company in any respect
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2018
This company is a camp and catering company that provides all the needs required and more for workers set in remote location. Excellent food, accommodations and facilities. They have TV rooms, dinning rooms, fitness room in the larger camps. Highest standards in safety.
Pros
Good place to work, gain experience and save money
Cons
Isolated for usually 3 weeks on and 1 week off
Good coworkers, poor management.
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Jansen Discovery Lodge4 March 2018
- Working from either 10am to 10pm or vice versa, but have fifteen minute breaks, one half hour break and a two hour fatigue break.

- Work for fourteen days with seven days off.

- Hardest part of the job is getting use to either night or day shift if not use to it.

- Most enjoyable part of the job were the coworkers with many of them being difficult to replace.

- Kitchen can have positive environment with the right coworkers around and they make time go by faster and less stressful
Pros
Free meals, own bedroom with bathroom, sink and shower, along with wi-fi, good coworkers.
Cons
Poor management, obvious favoritism in company and treating employees as if they're expendable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon North. Our community is ready to answer.