Horizon North Employee Reviews

busy
Housekeeper/Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 July 2018
enjoyed working with the new people I have met on the way I loved meeting new co workers made the job more fun but they need to improve on the managers they think they own the worker they didn't make it fun the work loads were very hard and you had to keep up and not fal behind
Pros
free room and board
Cons
doing over time and not being paid for them
good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
not much to say really you got on the truck /bus they made sure you got to your camp and you go to work cleaning rooms your hitch ends you go home and come back its easy peezy and good work
Pros
money
Cons
mind your business in camp and life is good
Very productive and fast paced environment.
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 June 2018
Working with Horizon North was a great experience. I had met a lot of friends and seen some family members when I got transferred to Kitikmeot Caterers upnorth. That’s where I’m originally from Nunavut and it was just an hour from my hometown Gjoa Haven.
Pros
Free food free gym
Cons
Long hours of work and a long rotation
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2018
This company is a camp and catering company that provides all the needs required and more for workers set in remote location. Excellent food, accommodations and facilities. They have TV rooms, dinning rooms, fitness room in the larger camps. Highest standards in safety.
Pros
Good place to work, gain experience and save money
Cons
Isolated for usually 3 weeks on and 1 week off
Good coworkers, poor management.
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Jansen Discovery Lodge4 March 2018
- Working from either 10am to 10pm or vice versa, but have fifteen minute breaks, one half hour break and a two hour fatigue break.

- Work for fourteen days with seven days off.

- Hardest part of the job is getting use to either night or day shift if not use to it.

- Most enjoyable part of the job were the coworkers with many of them being difficult to replace.

- Kitchen can have positive environment with the right coworkers around and they make time go by faster and less stressful
Pros
Free meals, own bedroom with bathroom, sink and shower, along with wi-fi, good coworkers.
Cons
Poor management, obvious favoritism in company and treating employees as if they're expendable.
work
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 February 2018
Learned how to work under stress, pressure and in a fast paced work environment. Built on my ability to pay close attention to small details. Learned good time management.
small camps
Lead Baker/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
long shifts
hard work with hardly any help
not much ability to approve on skills as the work day is crammed full due to lack if help
fun meeting ppl out in the camps
Pros
free food
Cons
good gym some honest people
chef (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB29 January 2018
fast paced job dealt with a lot of under-qualified workers which were not properly orientated at head office. Promised a certain rate of pay/contract never seemed to coincide with camp managers. Placement would send workers to site with no common experience in the field they were sent for eg. Chef would ask, have you ever baked before in a 250 man camp or any where else and most times reply no I was supposed to be a general helper or camp attendant. I did work with some good workers, good gym.
Pros
paid 12 hrs
Cons
no support from head office
Great
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2018
Everything was great working for horizon north. I met lots of people and work at awesome lodges. I really recommend. I myself would like to go back to horizon north.
Good
Good
good place to work
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 January 2018
Good place to work. Pay is good and never had less than a full work week. Shop is unorganized and shop tools lacking, wore out, broken or missing. Home almost all nights.
Pros
never sent home for lack of work
Cons
management
Its Good Money
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2017
Safety meeting
Safety culture
Meet lots of interesting people
the hardest part about the job is being far away from family, being in a rig camp no cell service.

saved money for school and things that i came to camp to save up for.

Thank you Horizon.
Pros
good people and good money
Cons
far from family
Former trucker pretending to be a chef
rig cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2017
One miserable week was all it took me to see enough. If you are not very serious about cooking, like maybe too weak to work in the city, and you enjoy drama from emotionally unstable women, as their field staff is 75% female, then maybe give it a try. The rig cook manager shoulda stuck with truck driving. Not good for males, with talent.. A safety officer who can cook is what they expect.
Pros
industry average pay
Cons
Only girls word is taken
If your looking to be treated like a slave look no further apply now.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 April 2017
Worked at horizon for 4 years guys in the field are good but management is the biggest joke you will ever see. Right from the top to the bottom.
Wouldn't recommend working here for unless you want to be slave labour and get peanuts.
Do not recommend working here at all.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Good company to work for
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2017
they are a good company to work for when it comes to recognizing your job and performance, but some of the management are not very good and not really understanding.
Pros
Safety points
Hncc
MANAGER/CLERK/CLEANER (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 March 2017
Ive been working with horizon for years, I decided to I wanted to find a town job because i want to have a family.

They gave me the opportunity to advance, and treated me very well 3 years (and currently still with them)
Great Job, but always room for improvement.
Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2017
As a current employee with Horizon North Camps & Catering, I started as a Camp Clerk and worked as a Janitor, Laundry Room Attendant, and now as a Camp Attendant.

As a Camp Attendant, I am expected to clean 38 rooms per day (which is the size of a dorm) and it can consist of day rooms as well as night rooms. Split shifts often happen. If you are willing to be a team player and help others in their time of need, the same will happen for you.

The pay for a Camp Attendant is low, however, after clearing 600 hours you will receive benefits which are more than generous! The benefits is for medial, dental, and prescription. This is the only benefit you will receive, with the very rare and occasional gift from the company such as a T-Shirt. There is no programs such as awards for safety, etc. as there once was.

The challenge with this job has to be where you are placed. Normal rotations are either 2 weeks in camp or 3, and then one week off. Rig Camps you are the only Camp Attendant and work 9 hours (sometimes 10 hours) paid. Being in a rig camp you need to expect the unexpected, and perhaps you will work extra hours, which are not always paid for. In a lodge setting 10 hours is the norm, and though in a larger environment with more interaction with others, your workload can get heavier and sometimes more demanding.

Another challenge with the job is camp management. Depending on where you are placed, you can find yourself in a situation with a manager who "likes" you or a manager who does not "like" you. This can impact your job performance, and even opportunities for growth,
  more... learning, and even advancement.

Again, I was hired as a Camp Clerk, and due to the camp I was working at having really low numbers in clientele, I had to adapt and go to another camp working as a Camp Attendant. When learning there was Camp Clerk positions available, I learned the hard way that I had to re-apply for a clerking position and go through the hiring process all over again. This was a real punch to the gut. They tell me it is not a demotion, however, it feels like that as well as a lack of respect.

Your food, accommodations, and travel are covered, however, you are only off work a week at a time. Take advantage of the work when it is available as summers can be very tough due to a lack of work available.

Hope this detailed information helps to make an informed decision. Horizon North can be a great company to work for, and only greater if (and only if) management in the camps as well as in the head office cared a little more for their employees, and truly follow what they promise in equal employment opportunities.
Pros
Food, Lodging, Travel, Medical & Dental Benefits...
Cons
Wages, Management, Growth
camp life
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 February 2017
long days away from family, amount of work is based on camp client numbers. You must be willing to do unpaid overtime as it tends to be expected.
Pros
Accommodation, transportation, and meals included
Cons
weeks away from home
Excellent work environment
1st Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2017
Except for the clear preference for selective hiring the work environment is quite good. The accommodations are very comfortable and facilities great.
Worst management ever
Inmate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 January 2017
Forewarning! Management is brutal in the Kamloops facility.
Worst job ever. You are treated like inmates and it sure felt like that working there. If it wasn't for the management it would be an okay place to work.
Pros
a job
Cons
Terrible Management, grim environment, depressing.
its a typical catering company
Baker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
working at horizon was just like any other job. u work all day and sleep. some workers are easy to get along with and some are hard. there transportation to and from camp could be made more efficient and there pay raises could come more frequent. manager training could be more thorough.
Pros
usually good food.
Cons
time spent traveling to and from location. only get paid 3 hours for going to camp.