Horizon North

Horizon North Employee Reviews

Canada261 reviews

horizonnorthsafetyaccommodationchefoilwagefood

N/a

was a good place to work, the factory floor was well laid out, you had all the tools you needed and they had a tool cage that you could take broken or non working tools to be fixed.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

small lunch rooms

Low wages high expectations.

At times forget to pay. Low wages high expectations. Ling travel with minimum travel pay. Not much else to say. If you have another opporunity take it

Pros

Its a job. Some.staff are good.

Cons

Forget to pay at times

Insights into Horizon North

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Lots of opportunity

A large company, has lots of opportunities for advancement and to change job activities and roles. You can work in administrative roles, hospitality, construction, and manufacturing.

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move

Initial the hiring department was quick, understanding with related up to date orientation Training

Once one site, favoritism. Was not able to complete a a full rotation based on heresay. Miscommunication. We should have both left the site or at least, been administered drug test because of an incident we were both involved in.

Fun work place, lots of stuff to do when your off shift. Flexible work hours and the treat you well.

Exciting place to work, you have lots to do when you’re off shift, go to the gym, theatres, flex room, smudge, and they feed you very well! Rooms are also very nice and well maintained.

Company is top heavy.

Too many VP's with their greedy hands in the pie leaving nothing left for the people that actually do work. No need for a VP of every division when there are very capable managers and supervisors.

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Corporate management talks the talk, but rarely walks the walk.

Drama and Empty Promises

This company was decent years back bit now since merging with Dexterra it's become very disorganized and disappointing. Recruitment is awful and they will say whatever to get you working. There is poor communication. The drama in the camps themselves is abysmal. They don't take the time and care into hiring people for the right positions. There are some good people who work there as cooks or chefs but a lot them will leave and see through the frustrations. I worked during their fire season and it was nothing but stress and lies. You will get told they will give you a home camp for the summer yet most likely get moved around for most of it. The scenery was nice if you like the outdoors and the clients are awesome to serve. The pay is ok but I have worked for 2 other camp companies who are more organized and will communicate better and have a slightly better pay. Give them a try but dont expect much. If you ask for a seasonal layoff or time off dont expect to be put right back to work as you will get asked to resign or will be bumped down the line.

Pros

Good safety culture

Cons

Lots of cons

Great

Away from home lots long hours , decent pay. Travel days are long but you get paid 75 per trip. Buss rides. Left cause I got better paying gig at different company

Worst job

Very disorganized and no team work and too much drama in the work place and toxic leaders. The worst job I’ve ever had. There is a reason this company has a high turnover rate

Depending on sites

All camps are different. Some I liked with great management others horrible. You get to make really good friends that I still contact till today. Living at camp helps you save lots of money

Pros

People you get to meet

Cons

You get out of it what you put into it.

If you want to work hard and get ahead, you can 100% do that. The bottom is not a lot of fun, lower pay and less say in Operations, but there are a lot of opportunities for advancement if you stick with it.Free accommodations and food, and both are amazing.

Absolutely bottom of the barrel

Don’t work here unless you have no choice. Not chance for a raise, no chance for moving up. They don’t care about you. They don’t even have a direct line of communication for the HR department, you need to go through the “secretary’s” and leave a message with them, and the HR managers never ever get back to you. They don’t give benefits, they pay you the absolute least they can get away with. Unless you are a refugee or a minority you are considered as second class.

Pros

None. This company sucks.

Cons

Everything, there’s absolutely nothing redeemable about this outfit.

Good opportunities

Great company to work for. If you show up, do the job and be positive you can move up quickly. I worked has a housekeeper for 2 years and moved up to workforce coordinator. I enjoy working with people and try to give new comers a good experience.

Pros

Great food

Two faced management

Parsnip management are fake . The union is the only good thing about this place. Moderately good wages and workload but the management are two faced and dangerous. They target those who oppose them. Unprofessional management who want staff to suck up to them and make their lives horrible if they don’t. Nasty food, mice in the staff dorm and they leave feces everywhere . Talked to management about this and they cared less, our health and safety doesn’t matter to them.

Pros

Union

Cons

Fake management

Poor communication

Signed contract suppose to work 20 and 10 was changed to 21 and 7 after being hired. Went to camp 6 days later a staff member reads an email and I’m leaving next day after 7 days went home(17hrs away). No calls for 10 days. Horrible communication, I never physically spoke to a person from being hired till the time I went to camp, had no idea who my supervisor was and had no contact information for anyone. I worked camps for over 20 years as a Chef and this experience was horrible one of the worst never been so let down by a company and ended up hating working for them. They have a lot to learn about treating people decently and humanly. Can’t believe they are a part of Dexterra which is an amazing company with amazing leadership!!!

Safety conscious

Overall the company is good, the management is easy to get ahold of and there's good systems in place to complete your work safely and effectively. The downside in my experience was unfair wage compensation after moving into an equipment operating position. The benefits package is pretty good, and the overall attitude and culture is positive.

Toxic work environment

From my experience working there this is a toxic place to be employed at, I felt bullied on a daily basis. But if you put that aside this company has a lot of opportunity for growth and you can learn a lot of new things here.

Stay away

Job is a joke, managers get a sadistic satisfaction out of trying to bully staff and will pit workers against each other. I looked recently, and after years being gone the wages have barely gone up for each respective position. Hate to be spiteful, but I think its funny they are struggling with staff shortages. They do not learn from their mistakes.

Pros

A whole lot of nada

Cons

Pretty well everything

Dishonest not a great company

If you want to be lied to work for a place that don't honor the contract they give you that is short staffed from people quitting and not get paid for hours you work especially for your overtime then this is the place for you.

General helper

I really love my job wish I could go back and work there but had to move on love horizons so much. Horizons a great company to work for would definitely recommend working her

Decent place to work

Decent place to work the downfall is being gone from home all the time. Pay was good with lots of overtime. Overall it was a good place to work with decent benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon North. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement