Horizon Landscape Contractors

Horizon Landscape Contractors Employee Reviews

I worked in the H2O division for the summer and I honestly loved it. It was a super easy job, long hours which I loved and decent pay! Overall I’d probably recommend it to anyone who doesn’t mind driving
Pros
Long hours and decent pay
Cons
Hires too many people at once I think, might be different now though
13 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We hope to get the chance to work with you again this summer!
Was told there would be a review after 3 months, and i believe another at 5 or 6 (i believe there was supposed to be a second one? i am not sure because i was still stuck trying to receive my 1st). They are supposed to review your employment for a potential raise, however they entirely avoided them. Very slimy. They do so in hopes people naturally quit before having to pay them more
13 January 2021
I am sorry that this was your experience! We do have bi-annual scheduled reviews as well as employment reviews around the end of your 90 day probationary period. Please reach out to HR (hr@horizonlandscape.ca) if you would like to discuss your experience further!
Overall I enjoyed working for this company. They recognize and reward hard work. In the three years I worked for them I graduated through several positions in their Services Division. I started as a tree watering labourer and within a year and half had learned and been driven enough to be promoted to Landscape Maintenance Foreman. The services division management is very supportive and encouraging. If you pick up your training, show a great work ethic and communicate any difficulties you may be having, they will do everything within their power to help you into the position and/or department that makes you happy and feeling great about yourself and your career. The executive staff having been cultivating a culture of family. - you are encouraged to work hard for the greater success of all (through profit sharing) - new ideas and ventures are welcomed and encouraged - regular social activities are held both company wide and within divisions - benefits are offered to those in supervisory or higher positions
Pros
Benefits, Bonuses, friendly staff, satisfying work
Cons
Long hours, irregular schedules
13 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate it.
Horrible company to work for if you have a family. The foreman’s do not care about you or your family. My wife was in a medical emergency and the foreman’s would approve leaving the site 1 hour early to be with her. DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY.
25 June 2020
Hey!Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. As you are listed as a current employee of ours I would encourage you to reach out to Human Resources. The experience you are describing is not normal for us and we would like to assist in any way we can.Thanks!
Fun but hard work. Very good experience. Friendly people, that were accommodating and generous. Reliable hours and crew members. All season work. Well run gig.
Pros
Fridays are always fun
Cons
Mondays are always long
With 4 new divisions opened in the last year, Horizon is an expanding company with career opportunities. Friendly and down to earth owners care about their people.
Was a terrible choice only lasted a week because everyone was absolutely rude. Everyone is running around like a chicken with there head cut off. Hated the job. Do not apply here.
Cons
Its a great place to work, and they treat you well
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
drive to each job site
The watering division has been great to work for so far-great pay and helping me gain valuable experience. I enjoyed driving around in the nice trucks and keeping Surreys trees alive and well The crew members are all great to work for - its super nice working with people who actually care about their jobs. I have worked here previous seasons and this years crew seems to be the best so far, loving this year and already looking forward to next year
Pros
staff hot lunch was fun! Pizza at staff meetings, great pay, 4 10 hours days
Cons
outdoor work, BC weather
Rewarded for hard work-this company prefers to promote from within so lots of opportunity for advancement for the right candidate. Some seasonal divisions but also year round opportunities as well! Lots of programs for employees-health coverage, company events, profit sharing, rrsp matching-this company really cares about its people and rewards hard work and loyalty. best company I've worked for. If you are willing to show up and do your job you will do very well at Horizon
Pros
Staff events, RRSP Matching, Extended health, profit sharing, company vehicles, friendly people, snow and salt shifts are so fun, manager retreats
Terrible company, highly do not recommend. First they say hours are 6am-4pm but they are actually 5:15am/5:30am - 4:30pm. However you DO NOT get paid form those times, you only get from your first watered tree to last watered tree. So if it takes 30 minutes or more to get to the first tree/ get back to the yard, that's 1 hour you're not getting paid. Another reason NOT to work for them is because the WILL FIRE you over literally anything. The turn over rate there was insane, constant flow of people getting fired over the smallest things. No warnings or anything just instantly let go. I was able to make it through the season but lots of people weren't so lucky. Most employees are nice but some leads need more training, they have no idea what they're doing. So if you like to wake up very early and work all day in the hot sun and always being in fear of being fired this is the job for you. (Have another job as back up just in case)
Pros
Cons
everything
Work contains many different scope and facets of discipline making for a fresh worksite as the task change from time to time. Hours of work are typically limited to 8 though summer does bring opportunities for Overtime. Horizon works on some very cool projects in private and public sector. From high end malls to towers to warehouses the mix is very fresh.
Pros
outside work
Cons
outside work
Horizon is a wonderful company to work for with exciting employee incentives like profit sharing and amazing advancement opportunities! The company really cares about its employees.
Pros
RRSP Matching, Extended Health and Dental Coverage, Competitive Wages, Friendly Staff
Pros
Honestly, if managment was different I would have loved working here. There was apparent time stealing where nothing could really be done unless going through legal hassles.
Pros
Good community of people, comfortable trucks with AC
Cons
Very early morings, Very late days
Horizon is a great company to work for, since it feels like one big family. All tiers of management work together and communicate everyday, which is great to see. They are safety oriented and strive to make sure everyone has all the tools they need to do their job effectively. The companies slogans are: Passion, Integrity and Quality and I have never worked for a company that is so true to the words they advertise.
Pros
Great Hours, competitive wages, positive work environment
Cons
Seasonal Work
I worked for Horizon in the Service Division for two seasons. My experience in both seasons was vastly different. The company had a lot of people coming and going in my first year which made things confusing, but in the second year they had ironed out a lot of the kinks and it made the work really enjoyable. If you're not a hard worker with a good attitude, this company isn't for you.
Pros
younger demographic, lots of benefits and staff incentives
Cons
seasonal
Working as a water crew member is one of the easier summer jobs. Wake up early, ride in a truck with AC and water trees all day. The hours are fairly long, but the four day work week makes up for it. I found it quite enjoyable just putting on some music and driving around. I'm planning on going back next summer.
Pros
Easy, fun.
Cons
Early Hours
Lots of room for advancement, super friendly and organized management, great co workers and a great work-life balance. This company truly cares for its employees-from profit sharing to annual staff appreciation events. Best company I have ever worked at
Such an awesome company! Truly cares about their employees. Respectful and kind to everyone regardless of title held. Really made to feel like you’re appreciated and part of a team!
Engaging place to work, growing company so your hard work is always rewarded. Can be long days but standard in the trade. friendly and open staff that are always approachable