Horizon Landscape Contractors

Horizon Landscape Contractors Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews

carestaffhourcompanypeopledaypayjob

Good people

Welcoming crew, and respectful environment. I was able to schedule my vacation time shortly after starting here. I actually enjoy coming to work, and the days go by quickly!

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate your feedback!

Productive workplace with a sense of fulfillment each day.

Horizon is a company with many divisions each doing work that leaves you at the end of the day with a sense of gratification. The projects the various teams work on are both unique and beautiful. The office team is both supportive and friendly and the field teams are knowledgeable and ensure you are trained for the task at hand.

Insights into Horizon Landscape Contractors

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Great company that creates opportunities for our communities and people by transforming outdoor spaces.

Every day at Horizon presents a growth opportunity and a challenge to tackle and overcome. We now operate out of three locations in BC with construction and services in each of them. Many of our staff have worked their way up through our company and will continue to do so. We strive to train, develop, nurture and grow our people. With the right skillset and attitude there is tons of potential for individuals to grow in many different areas of this company.

Great Growing Company

Be ready to deal with constant change and growth. The people at the company are great! The HR and Safety Department is super helpful and very communicative.

Fun summer job!

Great job if you’re looking for seasonal work. Get to be outside, working independently. Pay is fair for the level of work, but there is a weird thing if you’re not a crew leader, you only end up working about 35 hours a week. Other than that, it’s a great job! Mostly great people with positive attitudes, I really enjoyed my time with them last summer.They also have a bunch of other divisions within the company; if you’re not a slacker, when this job ends, there’s higher paying permanent positions you can look into.

Pros

the great outdoors, no boss breathing down your neck

Cons

getting sprayed in the face with mud, pay could be better

Worst place to work

Management is awful. Its definitely a boy club. The guys get paid more even if you have more schooling and work experience. Because of this job I would never work for another landscape company again.

Pros

Company truck and cellphone - If forman

Cons

Everything else

24 May 2022
We are so sorry that you had a negative experience with Horizon Landscape Contractors and we would like to rectify this promptly. If you could please reach out to us at hr@horizonlandscape.ca so that we can obtain additional details on this matter and have it resolved, it would be greatly appreciated

Great place to work!!

Love horizon they are a great place to work. Hard work does not go unnoticed. Lots of room for advancement. If you enjoy working outside this is definitely the job for you!!

very good workplace

Great work place, always room for advancement if you have initiative, the pay is decent and company looks after you. Opportunity for company vehicle to right people.

Pros

Advancment

Cons

long days

would work here again

I worked in the H2O division for the summer and I honestly loved it. It was a super easy job, long hours which I loved and decent pay! Overall I’d probably recommend it to anyone who doesn’t mind driving

Pros

Long hours and decent pay

Cons

Hires too many people at once I think, might be different now though

13 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We hope to get the chance to work with you again this summer!

Employment Reviews

Was told there would be a review after 3 months, and i believe another at 5 or 6 (i believe there was supposed to be a second one? i am not sure because i was still stuck trying to receive my 1st). They are supposed to review your employment for a potential raise, however they entirely avoided them. Very slimy. They do so in hopes people naturally quit before having to pay them more

13 January 2021
I am sorry that this was your experience! We do have bi-annual scheduled reviews as well as employment reviews around the end of your 90 day probationary period. Please reach out to HR (hr@horizonlandscape.ca) if you would like to discuss your experience further!

Fast-Paced & Labour Intensive Family

Overall I enjoyed working for this company. They recognize and reward hard work. In the three years I worked for them I graduated through several positions in their Services Division. I started as a tree watering labourer and within a year and half had learned and been driven enough to be promoted to Landscape Maintenance Foreman. The services division management is very supportive and encouraging. If you pick up your training, show a great work ethic and communicate any difficulties you may be having, they will do everything within their power to help you into the position and/or department that makes you happy and feeling great about yourself and your career. The executive staff having been cultivating a culture of family. - you are encouraged to work hard for the greater success of all (through profit sharing) - new ideas and ventures are welcomed and encouraged - regular social activities are held both company wide and within divisions - benefits are offered to those in supervisory or higher positions

Pros

Benefits, Bonuses, friendly staff, satisfying work

Cons

Long hours, irregular schedules

13 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate it.

Horrible Company if you have a family

Horrible company to work for if you have a family. The foreman’s do not care about you or your family. My wife was in a medical emergency and the foreman’s would approve leaving the site 1 hour early to be with her. DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY.

25 June 2020
Hey!Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. As you are listed as a current employee of ours I would encourage you to reach out to Human Resources. The experience you are describing is not normal for us and we would like to assist in any way we can.Thanks!

productive work place

Fun but hard work. Very good experience. Friendly people, that were accommodating and generous. Reliable hours and crew members. All season work. Well run gig.

Pros

Fridays are always fun

Cons

Mondays are always long

Expanding company, employee focused

With 4 new divisions opened in the last year, Horizon is an expanding company with career opportunities. Friendly and down to earth owners care about their people.

Was really bad.

Was a terrible choice only lasted a week because everyone was absolutely rude. Everyone is running around like a chicken with there head cut off. Hated the job. Do not apply here.

Great Workplace, Great environment

Its a great place to work, and they treat you well

Pros

good pay and benefits

Cons

drive to each job site

Solid Summer Job

The watering division has been great to work for so far-great pay and helping me gain valuable experience. I enjoyed driving around in the nice trucks and keeping Surreys trees alive and well The crew members are all great to work for - its super nice working with people who actually care about their jobs. I have worked here previous seasons and this years crew seems to be the best so far, loving this year and already looking forward to next year

Pros

staff hot lunch was fun! Pizza at staff meetings, great pay, 4 10 hours days

Cons

outdoor work, BC weather

Awesome company to work for

Rewarded for hard work-this company prefers to promote from within so lots of opportunity for advancement for the right candidate. Some seasonal divisions but also year round opportunities as well! Lots of programs for employees-health coverage, company events, profit sharing, rrsp matching-this company really cares about its people and rewards hard work and loyalty. best company I've worked for. If you are willing to show up and do your job you will do very well at Horizon

Pros

Staff events, RRSP Matching, Extended health, profit sharing, company vehicles, friendly people, snow and salt shifts are so fun, manager retreats

Treats employees terribly. Don't recommend

Terrible company, highly do not recommend. First they say hours are 6am-4pm but they are actually 5:15am/5:30am - 4:30pm. However you DO NOT get paid form those times, you only get from your first watered tree to last watered tree. So if it takes 30 minutes or more to get to the first tree/ get back to the yard, that's 1 hour you're not getting paid. Another reason NOT to work for them is because the WILL FIRE you over literally anything. The turn over rate there was insane, constant flow of people getting fired over the smallest things. No warnings or anything just instantly let go. I was able to make it through the season but lots of people weren't so lucky. Most employees are nice but some leads need more training, they have no idea what they're doing. So if you like to wake up very early and work all day in the hot sun and always being in fear of being fired this is the job for you. (Have another job as back up just in case)

Pros

Cons

everything

Family oriented company with a great team building culture.

Work contains many different scope and facets of discipline making for a fresh worksite as the task change from time to time. Hours of work are typically limited to 8 though summer does bring opportunities for Overtime. Horizon works on some very cool projects in private and public sector. From high end malls to towers to warehouses the mix is very fresh.

Pros

outside work

Cons

outside work

Family Oriented Company-Great Advancement Opportunities!

Horizon is a wonderful company to work for with exciting employee incentives like profit sharing and amazing advancement opportunities! The company really cares about its employees.

Pros

RRSP Matching, Extended Health and Dental Coverage, Competitive Wages, Friendly Staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon Landscape Contractors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement