Horizon Health Network

patientstaffplaceenjoyworkingdaymanagementgreat

Collaborative colleagues and supervisory

Featured review

Horizon Health Network selected this as a representative review
Appreciated the expectation for exemplary skills including holistic approach to individual patient and significant others. Collaboration and team approach at all levels and disciplines of healthcare team.

Pros

Float to multiple nursing disciplines / units

Cons

Offers so many learning opportunities for nurses

Learned so much at my time there. Felt supported encouraged and mentored by my co workers. Would recommend especially for lpns and rns who are looking to learn and grow their knowledge!

Pros

Learning, fast paced

Insights into Horizon Health Network

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

fast pased

An excellent place to work and develop skills. there's an emphasis on work-life balance. Opportunity to learn and advance while acquiring more skills

Loved the job.

Didn't get much of a chance to prove my skills due to the insecurities of permanent staff. I was casual. Very toxic work environment. Catty comments and ridicule. No respect from other permanent staff. Tried to sabotage my chances of feeling welcome.

Can be fun.

You really need to live close to where you are working in the winter and even the summer due to gas prices. Nurses can be great. Do your job and you will be fine.

Pros

Health care if you are suddenly ill at work.

Cons

Too far to travel now

Loved working here!

We had great nurse managers where I worked and it was great. The benefits are good and I enjoyed meeting so many different people. Management is not bad at all.

Poor Leadership, Poor Working Conditions

Horizon tries to control too muchPolicy for everythingNot flexible Poor staff scheduling NBNU has a poor contractDisorganizedPoor physician and nurse recruitment

Cold and uncaring corporation

Does not value staff. You are treated as a number and the corporation acts as if in ownership of you. No respect and lack of ethics. Confidentiality does not apply to employees.

Be careful with the bullying and harassment.

My experience was great on certain floors. When I went to get orientated in a specific clinic. Staff was trying to confuse me on purpose and made up mistakes I didn’t do, so they would get their friends in. It’s very scary to think that Registered nurses could act this way…with their nurse managers being ok with it…

Pros

Ask before you apply to a specific position

Cons

Good luck…

Coworkers make work better

Management marks depend on unit, some are better than others. Pay is average for NB but sad for our profession. Work load also depended on the unit, some units have a higher patient -nurse ratio. The people you work with can be amazing, and the the people you’re working with can be... not so amazing. But then again you usually have your manager on your side.

Good experience

Working at the hospital gave me a lot of good experience and expertise. The shift work is good, schedule is good. Gained knowledge and widen horizon for myself.

friendly environment

it was a friendly place to work. I enjoyed helping people day to day. was able to work in different departments and never missed much time and did a good job at every job i did. learned and communicated with my coworker. Was very easy going.

Teamwork encouraged

Typical day includes report, meeting and assessing patients. Prioritizing tasks and making a game plan to coordinate care. The nursing unit is very much team oriented as it needs to be. The acuity can be very demanding on and therefore team coordination is of utmost importance.

Good place to work for, good benefits, it could be better but no complains. Friendly staff and overall good experience. It allows you to have a work personal life

Good pay little love

The pay was exceptional for the position. The greatest detriment was that it was not a happy place to be. There was no room for advancement and bad news certainly rolled down hill!

Poor wages, bad management, bad union (CUPE)

The staff members whom I worked with, directly, were a great help, and created a very healthy work atmosphere. Management, on the other hand, always seemed to hide important information regarding shifts, projects, jobs, etc, and seemed to apply a manipulative, sneaky approach to all of the above. Training was non-existent, even for specialized equipment that was part of our job description. They would schedule you for a week of afternoon shifts, instead of paying 2 hours of overtime - displacing a week of your life for the sake of saving $80. The union, CUPE, had us (tradesmen) outnumbered by approximately 41:1 and would use us as bargaining chips to negotiate their own raises, while holding us under. Even after discussing these issues with the president and chief shop steward, they said it was non of their concerns, we weren't going to be part of negotiations when it came time for contract renewal, and if we didn't like it... leave. These were the answers that we PAID for, with our union dues. After becoming fed-up, we signed a petition to leave, with over 80% total member signatures. We then proceeded to court, in an attempt to leave the union, which CUPE denied, followed by the paramedics, and currently the LPN's are fighting internally, which may lead to the same attempt to leave. If you're looking for an easy work pace and don't mind being manipulated for a small salary, this may be your spot.

Great place to work, excellent money, flexible hours, tightly managed and learning the job is easy and straight forward. Environment is often toxic but hey some people seem to enjoy that anyways!

A typical day at work

Dealing with day to day: Contact with the employees one on one. Putting the employee first and upmost as per their inquiry. Checking into daily email accounts for Pension and for Benefits. Returning phone calls, responding to emails could add up to 80 or more per day. Filing Pension estimates. Meetings Running quarterly, bi annual, annual reports. Updating employee information in the system Setting up insured benefits as per each pay period. Updating tracking databases

Pros

Always learning new practices, process, etc

Cons

great team work

The work load is heavy but I enjoyed the team work ethics.

There are many different dept. where an RN can work at the hospital so it is never boring. You can apply for the jobs in different dept. when they are posted.They are allotted on the seniority basis.The work ethics are very high therefore everybody pulls their weight. Team work.

Pros

Camaraderie

Cons

Heavy work load

Busy place to work but the staff and management are good to work with

Busy place to work but I would rather be busy then slow. The staff I work with are great people so make the day a bit more enjoyable. I do billings, information packages and other jobs that come along from 7 docs. Not always easy but if you keep calm it is very doable.

Pros

Busy with pleasant coworkers

Cons

Lot of work

Great company to work for

Horizon health is very accommodating and a great place to work! Everyone is helpful. Great co-workers and great staff to work for. It allows me to be flexible with a very busy family life!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Horizon Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement