Hope Mission Employee Reviews

All Politics
Inventory Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2019
I worked for them for three days, in their casual category, six years ago. I was obviously too literate for the comfort of the minority bosses that I had, and was told an obvious lie, to the effect of: "I was going to hire you, but I heard you were saying things about me, behind my back. 'X' [The functionary between he and I] told me that."

Well, 'X' (I'm omitting names) was never produced to explain this, and that was that, so I told him to take me off their list. The only thing I can think that was the cause, was on the second day, when I calmly asked 'X' why it was she felt she had too speak to me as I were a child. Well (as was her default tactic), she immediately started crying, whereupon I apologized [For what, really?], and then we hugged.

Additionally, I had to wait 25 days past my last day worked, to get paid, and was given neither my Record of Employment, nor my T-4 tax slip, though I made enquiries (which, of course, went unanswered).

For a blue collar class person to have a diction above theirs is the greatest insolence one can show these insecure types, apparently, though they will vehemently deny such.

This quality of being too literate for them seems to be anathema to this place, across the board.
Pros
None.
Cons
Its existence.
Poorly organized
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2018
As I have worked, I've watched a complete staff turnover (with no replacements to be found), unsafe work conditions, and an overall lack of interest of management to foster any sort of appropriate change. So though I greatly enjoyed client interaction, I do not believe that Hope Mission represents a good place to work.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
Poor Management, Understaffed (Consistently), Unsafe working environment
storys told
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
I can only say good things as i never once was sad to go into work. The staff was exceptional. I found it rewarding work and was caught off guard a few times from past guests that were thankful for my help and kindness.
Pros
helping the community and the people in it.
Cons
Night shifts were hard
Fast paced and friendly environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 October 2018
I really enjoyed volunteering at Hope Mission. In fact, it has been one of the best experiences I’ve had in my lifetime. Not only does it train the volunteers for their future careers, but volunteers also get a sense of gratitude and accomplishment.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Free food after work is done, humbling experience
Cons
Sketchy neighbourhood, aggressive customers
good
Prepared and served meals (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2018
it is a good place to work at and the people are nice and very friendly and talk to you and it is very niece and i hope to continue to work there for awhile
A great place to be a part of something that changes lives.
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2018
Working in the shelters of Hope Mission will be one of the most rewarding things you can do, but it also one of the most challenging. Working at the shelters takes a very specific type of person and it's definitely not for everyone. You will be yelled at, threatened, insulted, demeaned and sometimes even hit while working! But at the same time you will see first hand people changing their lives for the better and breaking out of the cycle of homelessness and addiction. It is such an amazing thing to play even a small part in someone changing their life for the better and getting back on their feet. You will see humanity at its very worst in the shelters, but you will also see it at its very best.

In terms of what its like to work at Hope Mission. It has its ups and downs. The pay is barely above minimum wage and you will be expected to do far more than people in other jobs do for far more pay. This is not a place where you can work and effectively raise a family. I believe its ideal for college age students looking for life experience or for someone who is part of a 2 income family. Management has great intentions but does not handle communication well and there can be friction between the intake staff and the shelter leadership team. That all being said, Hope Mission strives to create a family mentality in its shelter workers. We all rely on each other to keep each other safe so its important that we are all team players. You grow to love your team and become closer than you would with coworkers at any other job.
Pros
Great life experience
Cons
Long hours with low pay
Tough place to be
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
This is a tough place to work. A Christian organization with a mind of ministry. However due to the constant hiring of either secular locals or foreign workers, there is a cultural imbalance and a poor mind for ministry on the front line despite a good group of solid Christian leadership. Weekends are often half staffed as no one often shows up for work. Booking time off is hard as the casual depth pool is only ankle deep. This paired with a fairly low salary, makes this a crunch job at best and a difficult place to desire a long term career.
Pros
Patient leadership, high job security. Free food
Cons
Long hours, minimal pay, always understaffed, secular hiring in a Christian driven culture, clients often threaten staff.
I was greatly impacted
Women's Recovery Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2018
I had many wonderful days working there.
However, there were many difficult days there as well. We deal with much pain and dysfunction.

I loved seeing people sober up and becoming healthy.
I loved the recovery coaching part and participating in chapel services.
Alot of work and responsibilities for little pay
Night Intake worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2018
what you see isnt what you get espiecially after taxes. You are given with alot of duties that frankly do not match the pay. When it comes to caring for people it should be expected that you get pay atleast 20 per hour not 16
Good Experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
It was enjoyable to work here. Everyone was very kind and respectful. I learned good skills like how to interact with others and follow orders. Even the people we served were kind.
Youth Shelter Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2018
great place to work, wonderful staff. challenging environment, Christian based. nice people, easy work, shift work, loved my supervisors. little movement
Client Intake Relief Worker
Intake Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
Set up the Intox center for clients of 80 people.
Organized the beds for clients and set up all the food and drinks in the lunch room for clients.
Processed clients coming in the Intox, as to their state, gave them a locker for the night.
I would help the clients with getting clean clothing, and if they needed to be placed in a sobriety place i would set that up for them, usually calling around the city or province to get them in as soon as possible.
Pros
Free Lunch, enjoy working with the clients.
Cons
Worked only night shift, wasn't able to get day shift there.
Rewarding place to work
Development Director & Shelter Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2018
Caring for people in need, and raising awareness of social needs, as well as raising funds for programs, while always challenging, was personally rewarding.
hope mission
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 December 2017
we would play with the kids for 30 minutes then me and my team would go into the kitchen and prep the food to the kids and cook.
ive learned new ways to cook the foods everyday by my teammates
we have a variety of different people from different cultures so we learn more about each other
the hardest part about my job is when people dont show up for their job then others have to do their job
the most enjoyable part of my job is cooking for events because then we get to do a different culture food style every year
Pros
free food
Cons
stubborn kids
Relaxed break time;Socializing
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,Alberta. Canada7 December 2017
A variety of programs to service;early start
To be diligent with the programing
Supportive management
Difficult to take time off
Working with people and see their lives change for the better
Pros
Lunch provided
Cons
On-going distractions
i loved it putting a smile on everyones face that came in to eat
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2017
i love love loved it there so nice to get to know people and they give you life experiences and they love to tell you live story's it's lovely because i love life story's
Pros
yes loved the food
Cons
not long four or sometimes two
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2017
Decent place to work if you don't mind losing your evenings and getting paid just over minimum wage. The best thing about the job is the co-workers you get to work around and the kids and youth!!!
Great for resume experience but not long term
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2017
Working at Hope Mission was a great opportunity to gain social work experience but it is not a place I would recommend working at long term.
-Management is very bisased and inexperienced. Most get their positions by being able to quote the bible and leading devotional rather than having actual leadership and administrative skills.
-Little opportunity for growth and low pay.
-Lack of communication between management and front line staff, which can create dangerous situations when dealing with the homeless (I.e. Shelter rules that change every day, lack of clear understanding of rules among staff)
-dirty environment and constantly having to worry about bringing bed bugs home, and no compensation is provided if you do.
-underperforming staff are kept on because there's such a high turnover
-unqualified staff are often hired due to the turnover and difficulty in finding staff
Pros
Free lunches although they're mostly inedible
Cons
Job culture and management
Warm hearted team workers
Homeless shelter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta6 May 2017
When working here you work together as a team and help the homeless either with meals or day to day struggles. You get to hear other people's stories and learn from what they have been through. You can help yourself get experience on job applications because you end up preping food and cleaning and serving. You end up dealing with a lot of day to day basic skills. Everyday skills. Most of all you get to see smiles on people's faces who aren't living the best way or choose to let their addiction over come them.
Pros
Free lunches and smoke breaks
Cons
Organization
volunteer
volontary (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2017
its a super well organize place, people are nice and very efficient. i enjoyed every minutes of it. the less fortunate are so grateful for the help provided