Honda Canada MFG Employee Reviews

Know What You're Getting Into
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON10 January 2019
I spent 11 years in this place and I've seen it all. Overall working at HCM was a good fit me but the dishonesty and the undocumented 'on the fly' policies HCM created during my tenure had my blood boil. A very dishonest cut throat company.

This company exploits vulnerabilities in labour laws and uses them to their advantage. As a result they hire, for the most part, uneducated people who don't know their rights. HCM holds the crown for the largest wrongful termination lawsuit in Canadian employment history (2006). Look it up. There is NO UNION at HCM. Never had a Union.

Recently I ran into a co-worker who told me after the '08-'09 automotive sector crash, wages were frozen for over 6 years and that benefits were reduced and employees had to pay for their own benefits. Full time hirings were, and no doubt, still are a rarity after 2009.

The nice thing about HCM was that you could work a shift and not be micromanaged. "Here's your rotation for the day, get to work." Perfect. Yes the job can be boring for some. It takes a certain personality to do repetitive work. Toughest part of the job was the shift work. 2 weeks days (06:30-15:00) and 2 weeks afternoons (16:30-01:00). If you worked in 'Stamping' working midnights was involved 23:00-07:30.

If you go in as a 'contract' DO NOT get your hopes up that you're gonna get full time. Biggest mistake I've seen contracts do. They start buying houses in the area and start having babies only to be shown the door after their contact is done. My wife's co-worker and her husband recently did just that. They decided
  more... to have another kid and buy another house close to Alliston. When buddies contracted ended they bailed on the second house. Now he's working in a grocery store for minimum wage.

Do NOT get sick or injured at HCM. HCM will likely fight any claim you make against them for workplace injuries, especially repetitive stress injuries. Been there. I had a WSIB accident which was witnessed and blatantly obvious it was no fault of my own yet the WSIB facilitator documented the incident to make it appear that I purposely put myself in harms way.

The co-workers were great but during breaks the usual topic of discussion was mostly about bars, drinking, getting drunk, hockey, cheating on your wife, how many girls you picked up at the local bar. Hey, if that's your thing you'll fit in nicely.

Understand on thing, Honda is NOT GM, Ford or Chrysler. There are no chairs or newspapers or portable TV's to sit in and read/watch while on line, or BBQ's just outside a emergency exit.
You will stand for the duration of your 8 hour shift and do the same repetitive 'process' every 60-70 seconds before you get a 10 minute break or 30 minute lunch. 10 minute breaks are just that...10 minutes and not 11 minutes.

I could write a book on my experiences at HCM from physical assaults, threats, co-workers dying on line, sexual harassment, forcible confinement, racism, bullying, intimidation, pooping in co-workers boots as a joke, auto theft, drug use, child exploitation (made the news) ect... Don't worry, HCM has their own private thugs/army/police force do deal with those types of situations.

Welcome to the jungle and
Good luck at your interview!
Pros
Pay, Honda Product discounts, benefits.
Cons
Shift Work, Corruption
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Tecumseth, ON4 January 2019
Good place to work but hours are long and job get boring really fast. You learn the processes really quick and it is relatively easy work to do. Not a long term job for most people.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON17 December 2018
Management was a bit unorganized, very lengthy process to get overtime pay authorized and then actually receive payment— I may have worked 15 hours overtime but wouldn’t see the money two paychecks down the road because it had to first get approved.
"NOT a software company"
Java Developer GALC/MES (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON15 November 2018
Was told by management that "This is not a software company, this is a assembly plant". I figured that as a java developer on the manufacturing system they should atleast want to try and run that team like a software company would, guess not.
Poor
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON29 October 2018
There are some very mean spirited coworkers. Many hate their jobs and their attitude can affect you. I was a victim of harrassment and bullying there by a few idiot co workers. If you get put in a bad group it will be a toxic work experience. All depends where they put you and can move you around at any time. Two weeks days two weeks night shift is terrible for your health. Females almost guaranteed to get carpel tunnel syndrome.

Obviously line work is boring but there are some jobs that are very hard on your body. For example carpet install and curtain side airbag install. As a newbie likely you'll get one if those.

Overall line work there is a tough job. Unless your very young unliky you'll stay long enough to retire there. Honda doesn't mind you leaving as they won't have to pay out a full pension.
Pros
Decent mobey
Cons
Too many to list
Ability to advance in career
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON24 October 2018
Great place to grow your personal abilities. Many chances to grow inside the company. The company has many different classes to learn and experience new ideas and ways of creating .

Large amount of different types of people and have learned to work as teams to create high quality high value vehicles.

Shift work is a requirement that each associate must learn to live with.
Pros
uniforms
Cons
shift work
simple place
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON15 October 2018
If you want the same thing day in day out. Same hours nothing exciting etc.
This is it.
Favouritism will get you higher up. Simple. You need to know someone. Someone to get in, and someone’s to move up.
Pros
Gifts
Cons
You are a robot.
It was a job.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON26 September 2018
It was a job that had many temps in and out on a constant basis. New faces everyday.
The hours were very long as well and Saturdays were mandatory overtime.
Your wasting your time
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Aliston23 September 2018
No respect and lies to contracts. In regards to full time wage they have a contract in place has you working 10 years before you see $30/hr. Pathetic!
Pros
Somewhat of security market pending
Cons
Overworked, bs promises, under paid for work pushed on you, poor management
Great place to work.
Assembly Technician/ New Model Trainer (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON25 April 2018
Great place to work, lots of room for advancement, work with great people, well taken care of (gym, shop, extra circulars, etc...) make the best of your time as an employee and you will be happy.
productive place of employment with excellent benifits and extra curricular activitys.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON7 April 2018
Enjoyed working at Honda for the f scheduled shift work and amount of over-time acquire. the perks sold me more on the job then the pay ( which was excellent) hockey teams and tournys as well as the gym and other special events the company put on.
Great employer for manufacturing and process engineering
Equipment Group Intern (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON1 April 2018
I worked in the engine plant for a 16 month internship. Work mainly involved equipment design/retrofit/repair for engine assembly. Due to Honda Canada being a non-union facility, you are able to work very closely with all aspects of the production line, including process design and testing, quality and maintenance. This is very beneficial for an engineering role, where the 'hands-on' work for assembly lines is often very limited. Being non-union does lead to reduced work perks for indirect employees (less flexible hours, more expectation to help with line-down or low production issues), but for an engineer or technical employee who enjoys building/validating their own designs, the positives of this arrangement easily outweigh the negatives.

Benefits/salary/job security and advancement are about average for a company of this size in Canada.
Pros
Good benefits and job security, strong team mentality and cooperation between functional groups, frequent training opportunities
Cons
Not much room for lateral movement, strict hours for indirect employees, very limited workplace comforts (food/drink, etc.)
Great place to work.
Production Quality (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON14 February 2018
Excellent opportunity to advance in a company, show up everyday on time and not only do you get paid cooperative wages you will also get paid a weekly, monthly and yearly bonus to just show up for work on time.
Pros
Good pay, excellent people, paid vacation time, two paid shutdowns per year, uniforms are provided free of charge, including laundry service, Free work boots, freel personal protective equipment to complete the jobs, Safe environment.
Cons
Two rotating shifts, day shift 6:30am - 3:00pm and 4:30pm - 1:00am.
Enjoyable coworkers and productive work environment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON22 January 2018
The day starts at 8 AM or 4 PM depending on the shift. Work on line assembling vehicles or vehicle parts for the remainder of the shift. I learned how to manage my time in a productive manner in a fast paced environment and the usage of high end power tools. Management was always friendly and personable. Workplace culture was great, everyone relied on one another to keep the workplace lighthearted and energetic. The hardest part of the job was the physicality involved in many of the processes. The most enjoyable part of the job was the access to the facilities and extracurricular activities provided by Honda.
Pros
Access to a gym and at work cafeteria
Cons
Long hours and undesirable shift work at times
Great company but badly managed
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON2 January 2018
I had to leave after 15 years of service at Honda. Honda is a great company but the Alliston plant is very poorly managed. A large majority of the managers are very under qualified and have zero personal skills and couldn't lead a fish to water. People are over worked and under appreciated. It was harder and harder to be there, it has got to be one of the most depressing places to be. Kudos to those that can survive 30 years.
Pros
Good pay, decent benefits
Cons
Lousy management
Amazing work atmosphere
Asscociate (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON21 December 2017
A typical day at Honda will have you doing two jobs during the day. Switches every day. I have learned to better manage my time while at work. Management is very knowledgeable and answers all questions directed to them, and answers accordingly. The hardest part of this job is the rotating shifts.
It is a good company to work for.
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON17 December 2017
Except three rotation shift is a killer for health, other than that the company is good. I have no complain about it. The pay is competitive. I feel I have job security at Honda.
Pros
Big company, good pay, job security.
Cons
Three rotating shift.
Getting worse all the time.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Alliston9 November 2017
Pays less than it used to with fewer days off, no pension and harder working conditions. Contract only work to start for 5 years then takes 10 more years to make top pay.
Very good company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON31 October 2017
Honda is a great company to work for lots of opportunity for advancement . I left Honda in 2010 becaue I returned to my country of birth . But Honda is a great place to work.
Productive workplace
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON3 October 2017
As a summer student , going into this job I didn't know what to expect but as the weeks went on I enjoyed working here more and more. This workplace works off of shift work therefor we are two weeks on days (6:30am-3pm) then two weeks on afternoons (4:30pm-1am), it was hard to adapt to the shift changes but after a month it was normal. The hardest part of this job is staying motivated to keep working as you have to produce 400 cars a shift every day. I would consider coming back for sure.
Pros
Good pay, fun environment
Cons
Shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Honda Canada MFG. Our community is ready to answer.

Honda Canada MFG Reviews by Location