Honda Canada MFG

Honda Canada MFG Employee Reviews

Canada44 reviews
Lots of opportunities
There are lots of opportunities it’s up to you.The work can be very demanding on your body and repetitive.Management are now lacking production skills and there’s to many for what is needed.I feel I was respected and got along with everyone.
Racist/Sexist Work Environment
- I was harassed and faced multiple racist and sexist incidents at this company. This company is full of bigots and prejudice. The work environment is horrible. Do not work there until you absolutely have to especially if you are a BIPOC or a woman.

- the management team is horrific. All they care about is their status and climbing up the ladder even if they have to lie, throw you under the bus, or claim your work as theirs.
Good money, about it.
They will ease you in, but if you make mistakes they will find any possible way to make yours and only your fault. Don’t call in, you’ll get in trouble if you go over your 3 days, even if you have a note. Money is good but that’s about it, hard to progress career wise. They’ll move you around at their will. Poor wage progression, and terrible vacation day privileges.
You're doing the same thing everyday
You do the same thing every day. It gets really boring really fast. The days are long, and I did not really like shift work. It was hard on the body. You would get used to days and then would have to switch back to afternoons for two weeks. It was two weeks days and two weeks afternoons. I learned a lot of things about cars, and how to put things on them.
Good Place
fast paced
sore after work- they give you yoga to help ease into the transition

good environment- talkative people, sometimes it gets boring

Good pay
Great Place
Worked at honda as a student! Great way to get cash quick for post secondary. I have worked there for 2 Summers, and I highly recommend. Main con is shift work and very repetitive process.
Acceptable
Was an average place to work. The balance between family life and work was a bit tough with the shift work and the overtime. Their willingness to work with employees going through personal issues is a bit lacking.
Excellent place
Great place to work, learned a lot! Met so many people, enjoyed working here for 29 years. Lots of opportunity to move within the company, great benefits and very family friendly.
Very good team oriented workplace with lots of advancement oppurtunity .
Most days started with a short meeting to discuss past day results and todays activity . Always started with any safety issues with our department and plant wide safety updates . At least 2 days a week I would go from my department meetings to a plant wide meeting to discuss plant wide quality issues .
Over the years Honda was very good with numerous courses provided to help me improve my skill at presenting, computer, documents , analysis, people and tracking results .

I worked direct with management both Canadian & Japanese almost daily . We all worked long hours and very hard to complete daily task . Some of the direction could be hard to understand but mainly because the language barrier .

The work place culture was good and I feel the main reason was everyone worn the same inform and ate in the same cafeteria and also park in the same parking lot .

The hardest part of my job was trying to explain quality issue to line associates so they fully understand the issue and why we need to make changes . When you finally get them on your side they become your best eyes and fell good to help out . This make them feel involved which make the overall quality only get better .I did have some road blocks over the years with improvement ideas that management shot down but funny how later down the road those ideas resurfaced and were implemented ?

Overall Honda treated everyone with respect and made it a excellent workplace . I was fortunate to be in Quality Department which allowed me to travel to Japan and all over North America with my job . I had the pleasure of meeting a number
 - more...
Honda mfg Canada
Loved working here the people are great to work with, the shift work is a little hard to get use to at first but in time the job and atmosphere of the job helps with the shift adjustment. I would love to work there again.
Satisfactory
Honda was a good place to work , fast pace , many responsibilities were assumed not taught which made days very stressful at times. sorry I would not like to comment here any further ...THK u
Decent wage but Terrible Management
I worked @ HCM for 20yrs: mostly in the production assembly department. The 32/hr wage is adequate as many associates only have a grade 12 education: the major problem here is the day to day management: I heard a plant manager reply to an associate's question with " if you dont like it here go work @ Walmart" absolutely no people skills and extremely disrespectful! Staaway
Stay in school
It’s factory work so very repetition and fast paced , especially on the assembly line . Not much opportunity for advancement to better areas as they out source some of the easier departments
You’re expected to be a robot
If you have no education and like doing physical work then Honda is for you. Lots of smoke and mirrors in the orientation “you are the best” “free cars” “lots of advancement” bla bla bla
Typical day is slapping cars together with lots of cross threading bolts and broken clips. You have 30sec to do your specific job with no room for error “just work faster”. Need to take a day off? Forget about that, you WILL get written up and “coached”. Feeling pain? Just stretch and get used to it. Cafeteria food is deep fried everything and not very good at all. Brakes are 10min but in reality 6min do to walking back and forth. At the end of the day pretty much everyone is speeding out of the parking lot, that’s how sad it is there.

The only thing decent are the people you work beside and the free workshoes.
Pros
Line workers, gym, shop for working on your car (kinda)
Cons
Work/life balance, health, food, shift work, pay.
Great friends made there but work/life is hard
The definition of a great company to work for is evident by their being able to comment on these reviews (good or bad). I've read a lot of reviews and didn't see a single comment by HCM. Should take that as a warning to new hopefuls.

I worked at HCM for 10 years and gladly took the buyout in 2009. There was a whole A B C class employee thing at the time. The A classed employees were not allowed to take the buyout. That rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and turned those "A" class employees into disgruntled ones. The "associates" they wanted to get rid of didn't take the bait for the most part and they ended losing a lot of great people.

I hear from friends there from time to time and it seems nothing has changed for the most part. Those of us that left were not allowed to return (for some reason). Not that I would have, I've become much more advanced in my trade (Industrial Electrician) and now have now have two other notches under my belt. Construction/Maintenance Electrician and Master. I own my own company and things are fantastic. Can't say I ever would have gotten here if I'd stayed in Alliston.
Pros
Great people/friends
Cons
Difficult work/life balance
Okay workplace
Pretty good, but the workplace culture is kind of toxic.

Pay is good, and the work is not to hard physically. But as a female student worker, there is sexual harassment, and the environment is toxic overall.
Know What You're Getting Into
I spent 11 years in this place and I've seen it all. Overall working at HCM was a good fit me but the dishonesty and the undocumented 'on the fly' policies HCM created during my tenure had my blood boil. A very dishonest cut throat company.

This company exploits vulnerabilities in labour laws and uses them to their advantage. As a result they hire, for the most part, uneducated people who don't know their rights. HCM holds the crown for the largest wrongful termination lawsuit in Canadian employment history (2006). Look it up. There is NO UNION at HCM. Never had a Union.

Recently I ran into a co-worker who told me after the '08-'09 automotive sector crash, wages were frozen for over 6 years and that benefits were reduced and employees had to pay for their own benefits. Full time hirings were, and no doubt, still are a rarity after 2009.

The nice thing about HCM was that you could work a shift and not be micromanaged. "Here's your rotation for the day, get to work." Perfect. Yes the job can be boring for some. It takes a certain personality to do repetitive work. Toughest part of the job was the shift work. 2 weeks days (06:30-15:00) and 2 weeks afternoons (16:30-01:00). If you worked in 'Stamping' working midnights was involved 23:00-07:30.

If you go in as a 'contract' DO NOT get your hopes up that you're gonna get full time. Biggest mistake I've seen contracts do. They start buying houses in the area and start having babies only to be shown the door after their contact is done. My wife's co-worker and her husband recently did just that. They decided
 - more...
Pros
Pay, Honda Product discounts, benefits.
Cons
Shift Work, Corruption
Good place to work but hours are long and job get boring really fast. You learn the processes really quick and it is relatively easy work to do. Not a long term job for most people.
Management was a bit unorganized, very lengthy process to get overtime pay authorized and then actually receive payment— I may have worked 15 hours overtime but wouldn’t see the money two paychecks down the road because it had to first get approved.
"NOT a software company"
Was told by management that "This is not a software company, this is a assembly plant". I figured that as a java developer on the manufacturing system they should atleast want to try and run that team like a software company would, guess not.
Poor
There are some very mean spirited coworkers. Many hate their jobs and their attitude can affect you. I was a victim of harrassment and bullying there by a few idiot co workers. If you get put in a bad group it will be a toxic work experience. All depends where they put you and can move you around at any time. Two weeks days two weeks night shift is terrible for your health. Females almost guaranteed to get carpel tunnel syndrome.

Obviously line work is boring but there are some jobs that are very hard on your body. For example carpet install and curtain side airbag install. As a newbie likely you'll get one if those.

Overall line work there is a tough job. Unless your very young unliky you'll stay long enough to retire there. Honda doesn't mind you leaving as they won't have to pay out a full pension.
Pros
Decent mobey
Cons
Too many to list