Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.
Pros
Lots of available OT, positive environment
Cons
Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills
Terrible problems exist that made it virtually impossible to be successful. Climate of distrust is appauling. Some of the worst micro-management I have ever seen.
Pros
Not enough of any one factor.
Cons
Terrible management culture
Fast paced work environment. Lot of changes without transparency / communication with general staff. Good benefits and access to educational opportunities if supported by management.
While I worked there, I was hired as a front desk receptionist, but the contract indicated that "other tasks might be required." It turned out that this was their sneaky way of allowing themselves to assign you tasks in half a dozen different departments. By the end, on top of my initial position as front desk receptionist, I also became a Crisis Management administrator and a Provincial administrator. When I indicated that the workload was too much (I would have needed a 60 hour work week to do everything!), I was told I had bad time management. So, to help me... they made me take a one-hour counselling session to help me manage my time... Right! Because when there's already not enough hours in the day, let's take some more away to sit and talk about how to be efficient! The funny thing is, I was placed through an agency, worked there for 3 months before applying to be an official Homewood employee and was there an additional 8 months before being terminated. I had GREAT feedback from all my immediate coworkers (within the office. The main headquarters are in Ontario.) Home office didn't seem to notice that my work became poor once they began dumping more and more on me. Overall, I wasn't impressed with management and felt that, for a company who's all about mental health, the don't give a shine-o-la about their employees' mental well-being. I wouldn't recommend! Hypocrites.
Workers bully other employees and management joins in on it. Most rooms are covered with mold! You never get a weekend off and any days you are booked off you end up getting called in, if you don’t answer you get a snotty message left on answering machine
Cons
I would never recommend anyone working at homewood health. They are a mental health facility who could care less about the actual mental health of employees. Workplace bullying was prevalent and management could care less about helping employees, also some management was clearly not trained for their jobs and others suffered because of it. The patients aren’t considered anything but a number and the company as a whole is only looking for profits. I would nightly recommend anyone looking for a nursing, housekeeping, intake or any other job stay far away from this place.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
I think homewood is an amazing place. Ive always wanted to worrk there and I would be excited to be chosen to come aboard to be able to be employeed here.
Pros
great workplace
Cons
Management are unsupportive, EFAP workers are often burnt out, overworked, and under the chronic stress of back to back high-intensity (often suicidal/angry) calls from clients. Benefits always being cut. Terribly unethical company that seeks to make profit off the suffering of their clients, while throwing their employees under the bus. This results in incredibly high employee turnover and an apathetic management approach that leaves clients and employees unsupported.
Homewood was my first job after graduation, I learned a lot about nursing as a whole. I found the work to be tedious though, and felt it was more of a social work/counselling role versus nursing, which was not for me.
DO not work here. Company has changed and is focused solely on profits. Service quality has decreased and ethical concerns have forced many employees to quit. Company pushes intake counsellors to take high volume of distressing/suicidal calls that over time cause chronic traumatic stress. Most intake counsellors will have to take a stress leave because of compassion fatigue and burnout. Just recently the company cut benefit packages for employees again.. Do not work at this company.
The staff are fantastic but this is a private company and they do not respect the union or work life balance. For a mental health facility, I had hoped they would support their staff more so as to provide better patient care. It felt like it was about keeping the beds full rather than helping individuals succeed in their treatment.
Pros
Staff and patients
Cons
Great place to work good support and training. Allow the ability to travel and participate with good people. I would recommend Homewood. There are many different options.
Pros
Independance
Cons
This was a volunteer position- the nurses and caretakers were excellent. The patients were well cared for and very hardworking towards their own recovery. The facility is beautiful and the people there are hard working and truly care about their patients.
I cannot recommend working here. Surprisingly, the organization pays no attention to developing manager's skills and people suffer because of it. From a business perspective, processes are poor and deadlines are never met. There is no opportunity to develop your own ideas.
Pros
Clinical staff
Cons
Business operations, poor and unprofessional management
I enjoyed my time at Homewood. The Director was awesome and the staff was warm and friendly. Job security is questionable as the administrative Jobs are not unionized,. It is a warm family like environment.
Pros
on staff cafeteria that affordable
Cons
offoce jobs are not unionized
Homewood Health Centre is a great place to work. I feel supported by the nursing management and enjoy that there is a variety of in-service learning opportunities and encouragement for continuing education. Nurses at Homewood are highly involved in patients care. We are skilled, talented, and passionate. I love that we are listened to and also respected by the interdisciplinary team.
Pros
Beautiful grounds, gratifying work, sense of community with co-workers
Cons
shift work and 7 day streches
Like the people and the work that we do is very rewarding. I'm often told at conferences or events how Homewood has saved the life of either the person I'm speaking with or a loved one.
Depending on what department and Management you work for, Expectations of the job are high with minimal reward and compensation. Job burn out and increase in turn over happens at the two year mark. Job satisfaction is low due to the lack of advancement in the company.
Pros
Co-worker support.
Cons
Differcult, disgruntaled, substance abuse clients, verably disrespect and no debrief.
All staff and patients were very nice and kind. Every time I would go in for my shift, I would serve hot beverages and food to staff and patients and close the shop by myself.
Homewood health has great benefits and a supportive and friendly work environment. It is a multi-faceted company offering support in many different ways to the clients who access it.
Staff are great. Job security is main issue, as most jobs are offered on a part time/contract basis. Workplace is safe and clean, and staff are very friendly.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No benefits for PT / contract staff
  1. Employee reviews