Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.
Pros
Lots of available OT, positive environment
Cons
Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills
good first job after graduation for the experience and reputation of the company on your resume. It's not a sustainable long term job with low pay around $16-17 an hour. Benefits are good for full-time staff with 3 weeks vacation. The stress of the difficult stories that clients share when they call to set up counselling can be difficult. Management tries to encourage a mentally healthy workplace but fall short. For a mental health company they need to do better for staff.
A great place to volunteer. The staff answers any questions happily. If you make mistakes, they gently correct you. I feel the patients value the time I donate.
Very Casual employment. Would love to work way more for this company but hours don't seem to be available right now. Travel is required which is rough sometimes.
I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.
Pros
Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management
Cons
Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous
I worked in the Older Adults program. Coming from Long Term Care it was a breath of fresh air to work at a place where staff to patient ratio was a very fair balance. We actually had time to properly care for our patients needs. As well as have time left over and just sit and talk with them. A lot of patients just desire time, unfortunately a lot of places are so sort staffed there is no allowance for this luxury. Homewood was a wonderful experience I loved my job and was sad to leave but we relocated.
Worst plat I have ever worked. No management oversight or feedback. Sexist management. Poor salary. Made me take a vacation day when grandma died. They plan your exist the day you start.
Cons
They provided distance training for 7 weeks out of the 12 week probationary period. I wasn’t given goals to reach and I was the trainer’s first trainee. When I didn’t meet her expectations in 7 weeks they terminated my employment. At 7 weeks I was feeling competent and now able to work faster and more accurately. Their training and management was poor. The team was fantastic!
It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.
I worked at Homewood for a number of years and I finally came to realize one day I was completely miserable and decided to leave. You are expected to work yourself sick day in and day out, for little pay and no extra compensation for taking on extra work that was just dumped on you. Constantly having to take on more work from other departments who don't have enough staff either and instead of spending the money and hiring new staff they just expect the bottom feeders who are paid the least to pick up the slack. You get a fair amount of time off but there's no point in using it because when you come back to work you will just regret having taken the time off when you get in trouble for something that happened while you weren't there. Management plays favourites and takes sides. One person gets told no you can't do that but their direct coworkers gets told yes for no reason. One person gets in trouble for doing something that certain other people will just get away with. It is an OK place to start off if you need experience but there's little for advancement and people do seem to get let go quite suddenly for no apparent reason.
Students required to do more than regular full-time staff, told to do heavy lifting but lots of time working alone as long as you got your tasks done within reasonable time
Far too much middle management who do nothing and far few nurses and it is only getting worse with not replacing staff who call in sick or aren't available. Patient care is suffering. All they care about is profit and accept totally unacceptable people for the programs. Safety for staff is seriously lacking. There is no professional development as when nurses want education we have to either pay for it or can't do it at all due to staffing issues. Our benefits are terrible. If you needed to come to Homewood for treatment of something our benefits wouldn't even cover it. How nice is that? They violate collective agreements constantly. Our contract took two years to negotiate. Basically this place is just a money making machine that cares nothing for its staff or patients. All you do is take ++ abuse from patients with ZERO support because it is all about the $$ being made with a body in the bed. Not worth working here. No Occ Health nurse with no replacement in sight. This is the only hospital I have worked at that has a "central staffing" department and let me just say it doesn't work. If you want to work another job while doing this one they will make ZERO accommodations for that. Basically, look somewhere else. The turnover rate in the departments is RIDICULOUS. We try and tell management our concerns and they don't listen.
Management completely absent Management takes sides, allowing some staff to engage in certain behaviours while getting others in trouble for the same thing. No room for growth Rapidly changing policies not shared with clinicians until an unknown violation of the policy occurs clients end up suffering because of it
I worked here briefly and couldn't leave soon enough. The Guelph office is disorganized. The call centre staff have a Bachelor's degree and working for 17/hr. The turnover is high and everyone seems cranky. The Montreal office is equally ridiculous. Vancouver seemed nice and wished the culture there was reflected at the other locations. For a company whose goal is to help people it's ironic how toxic it is
interesting place to work, lots of self learning. Good culture, encouraging staff, always motivating.Very diverse, inclusive environment. Caring, patient-focused, rewarding work. Great free fitness facility, beautiful grounds, rewards and recognition encouraged, opportunities for advancement if you invest the time and effort.
Truly, don't work here, or start planning your exit when you start. There are a lot of wonderful people working very hard here on this sinking ship. They are all doing six jobs, because someone left so they stretched to accommodate more than they bargained for. They're all overworked, generally underpaid and not paid more if they're doing more, and most are burnt out. If there were time to collaborate with them and create individualised care, it would be wonderful. There are tiny snippets of wonderful, just enough to keep you on. Know that you may be told what you want to hear, not the truth. Is the experience worth the daily helpings this place takes of your soul as you smile at the people in your care that we are all one happy Homewood, working together for them? Maybe. Unless you're prepared to patch this ship and rebuild it while it's sailing, go offer your care somewhere else. P.S. There are also some people who are not working very hard but they get paid great.
trainers are horrible and they give you no direction, would not recommend this job to anyone unless they want to make a quick money in the probation period before they fire you for no reason!!!
Pros
nice clients
Cons
horrible management
I prsonally found if very difficult to work with a vast number of patients, all whose situation was from the next. I was unable to separate my work life from my home life and would often find myself upset after work.
Pros
Good rapport with patients and co-workers alike
I worked in the Clinical Records Department and found management to be lacking. They would ask us the workers how the job was done...something they should know. My contract was not renewed as it was a temporary position with no anticipation or need for the job to be continued was what I was told, so at the end I left after asking many times that I was willing to stay on since I liked the position and was told I was a good and thorough worker. The very next day someone showed up for the position as it was now a PERMANENT FULL TIME POSITION...something sneaky in the works was happening right behind my back and the total opposite told to my face. The office was disgusted as to how dirty the whole situation had played out..Management was very deceitful, dishonest and spineless.
Pros
Great co-workers...Free bullshat.
Cons
Lots of deceit, no honesty with management.
Great entry level job, but lacks the advancement opportunities. Nearly no support from Senior management. Terrible work life balance 7 day stretches without the appropriate time off to maintain a good overall mental health of the employees. Unable to reach agreements with the unionized workers, 2 years past the expiry of the previous contract.
The pay is astonishingly low and the work load is heavy. It appears that the EAP company [as a whole] is understaffed as there is no down-time in the day. Management talks a big game about self-care and taking time when you feel you need it but will also throw your stats at you and call you to get back on the lines. One of the only reasons I've stayed as long as I have is that my coworkers are some of the most wonderful people. One thing Homewood Health is really good at is hiring - I never imagined it'd be possible to fill an office with 40 of the worlds greatest people.
Pros
Peers, free food sometimes, benefits are awesome, starting with 3 weeks vacation
Cons
understaffed, overworked, underpaid, hearing some pretty hard things
  1. Employee reviews