Homewood Health logo

Homewood Health Work-life balance reviews

Canada86 reviews

Clear
3.0Pay & benefits

Wonderful nurses to work with!

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.

Pros

Lots of available OT, positive environment

Cons

Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills

High pay, unfortunately toxic environment

This job is a great paying job for anyone in the security field, starting around $24/hour. This job also provides valuable experience in the mental health field for any looking to use this as a stepping stone. However, there are many toxic staff in all departments and new staff may be treated unfairly by some senior to them. Management puts on a good show. Great at listening, horrible at implementing change, supporting staff and improving the work-life balance. The scheduling isn’t ideal, however it’s what the poorly written collective agreement allowed. Overall, this job is great for the money and mental health experience. So much opportunity for overtime! The part-timers make WAY more than full-timers!!! The work-life balance sucks, there is little support from management and having to work with negative and toxic individuals isn’t so peachy either.

Pros

Money, overtime, experience.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, long shifts, toxic environment, lack of management support, no opportunity to advance in company

wonderful team and great employer

I joined in April 2020, just at the onset of the pandemic. I've been working from home since my first day. I love working for this company and I would recommend this to anyone. My manager is supportive and I'm lucky to have a wonderful team.

Pros

work from home, saves fuel and time

Cons

nothing

I used to love woeking here, now I hate it.

Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.

Pros

Pays the bills, good co-workers

Cons

Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management

Feel like part of a family

Homewood has some very rich history and long standing employees which gives you a sense of stability. No matter what department you work in, you are valued and it is made clear that we all are a valuable part of making a difference in our patient’s lives. The campus is beautiful with nice walking trails, tennis, disc golf, basketball, and gardens. Wonderful place to go out and take a nice walk at break or enjoy your lunch outdoors.

Pros

Your contribution changes lives

Cons

Can be stressful

laid back position

for someone who is older would be a perfect fit. Professional workplace, Located in the heart of downtown toronto and building is well kept with security.

I enjoy working at Homewood. It is very team oriented and there are opportunities to further your career and to develop more skills as you work there.

The outstanding pro's and con's of the phases of interviewing, acceptance and job offering by one of the most positive psychiatric hospitals.

My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, -

Pros

Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.

Cons

Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking

Relaxed enjoyable experience

A great place to volunteer. The staff answers any questions happily. If you make mistakes, they gently correct you. I feel the patients value the time I donate.

Great job! Would love more hours though

Very Casual employment. Would love to work way more for this company but hours don't seem to be available right now. Travel is required which is rough sometimes.

Jobs at Homewood Health

See more jobs

Growing organization, great people

I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.

Pros

Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management

Cons

Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous

The Best part of Homewood

I worked in the Older Adults program. Coming from Long Term Care it was a breath of fresh air to work at a place where staff to patient ratio was a very fair balance. We actually had time to properly care for our patients needs. As well as have time left over and just sit and talk with them. A lot of patients just desire time, unfortunately a lot of places are so sort staffed there is no allowance for this luxury. Homewood was a wonderful experience I loved my job and was sad to leave but we relocated.

FANTASTIC place to work!

It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.

Challenging and lot of learning experiences

interesting place to work, lots of self learning. Good culture, encouraging staff, always motivating.Very diverse, inclusive environment. Caring, patient-focused, rewarding work. Great free fitness facility, beautiful grounds, rewards and recognition encouraged, opportunities for advancement if you invest the time and effort.

Stressful and emotional

I prsonally found if very difficult to work with a vast number of patients, all whose situation was from the next. I was unable to separate my work life from my home life and would often find myself upset after work.

Pros

Good rapport with patients and co-workers alike

Was once a great place to work but no longer the case

Great entry level job, but lacks the advancement opportunities. Nearly no support from Senior management. Terrible work life balance 7 day stretches without the appropriate time off to maintain a good overall mental health of the employees. Unable to reach agreements with the unionized workers, 2 years past the expiry of the previous contract.

Nurse

The staff are fantastic but this is a private company and they do not respect the union or work life balance. For a mental health facility, I had hoped they would support their staff more so as to provide better patient care. It felt like it was about keeping the beds full rather than helping individuals succeed in their treatment.

Pros

Staff and patients

Gerat Company

Great place to work good support and training. Allow the ability to travel and participate with good people. I would recommend Homewood. There are many different options.

Pros

Independance

Great team

Like the people and the work that we do is very rewarding. I'm often told at conferences or events how Homewood has saved the life of either the person I'm speaking with or a loved one.

Poor Pay

The job itself is decent but the pay is very poor with little to no raise opportunities. The management preaches self care and work life balance but when push comes to shove they do not advocate for the employee and allow harder and more difficult work conditions to proceed.

Pros

good benfits

Cons

very taxing, high burnout rate, very poor pay

Teamwork is important - we worked hard and still able to have a bit of fun

The best part of the job, in the early years, was autonomy and the worst part were the years of mergers and acquisitions of our departments and divisions. The culture in the early years was one of respect, hard work, team work, appreciation by supervisors.

Pros

Work colleagues became good friends

Cons

Several Mergers and Changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homewood Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement