Homewood Health logo

Homewood Health Pay & benefits reviews

Canada86 reviews

Clear
3.0Pay & benefits

Overall a positive experience_lack of pay increases prevented retention

I had a great experience as an EFAP counselor with Homewood. Set your own schedule, and see clients around a full time job - it was great. The people were great as well! The only thing I was unhappy with was the set fee they pay you - with no discussion around raises, etc. I think Homewood Health would retain their talent if they offered more pay incentives or even yearly pay increases. Staying at 45/hour/client for over five years was discouraging. Otherwise, I got a long well with management and really enjoyed the culture. Case notes were really organized and managed well - you didn't spend all day writing a case note. Everything done through a portal - great job!!

Pros

Easy work expectations.

Cons

No pay increases for internal contractors.

Challenging and Rewarding Workplace

In my role at Homewood, I am faced with a unique and challenging opportunities on a regular basis. In order to optimize our response to these opportunities, I need to work collaboratively with a number of diverse stakeholders to reach a solution that benefits the most people. In the end, all of our work is done to provide a needed service to a highly disadvantaged population.

Pros

Meaningful work

Cons

Fast Paced Change

pay peanuts get monkeys

low pay, they claim they do a check what other places in area are paying then base a salary off of that. Looking for workers all the time , high turnaround for a reason. right from the stunned person that does the interview on... stay away

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

Good entry level

good first job after graduation for the experience and reputation of the company on your resume. It's not a sustainable long term job with low pay around $16-17 an hour. Benefits are good for full-time staff with 3 weeks vacation. The stress of the difficult stories that clients share when they call to set up counselling can be difficult. Management tries to encourage a mentally healthy workplace but fall short. For a mental health company they need to do better for staff.

Great job! Would love more hours though

Very Casual employment. Would love to work way more for this company but hours don't seem to be available right now. Travel is required which is rough sometimes.

Growing organization, great people

I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.

Pros

Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management

Cons

Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous

Is zero and option! Stay far far away!

Worst plat I have ever worked. No management oversight or feedback. Sexist management. Poor salary. Made me take a vacation day when grandma died. They plan your exist the day you start.

FANTASTIC place to work!

It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.

OK entry level Job for Experience Only

I worked at Homewood for a number of years and I finally came to realize one day I was completely miserable and decided to leave. You are expected to work yourself sick day in and day out, for little pay and no extra compensation for taking on extra work that was just dumped on you. Constantly having to take on more work from other departments who don't have enough staff either and instead of spending the money and hiring new staff they just expect the bottom feeders who are paid the least to pick up the slack. You get a fair amount of time off but there's no point in using it because when you come back to work you will just regret having taken the time off when you get in trouble for something that happened while you weren't there. Management plays favourites and takes sides. One person gets told no you can't do that but their direct coworkers gets told yes for no reason. One person gets in trouble for doing something that certain other people will just get away with. It is an OK place to start off if you need experience but there's little for advancement and people do seem to get let go quite suddenly for no apparent reason.

Student housekeeping

Students required to do more than regular full-time staff, told to do heavy lifting but lots of time working alone as long as you got your tasks done within reasonable time

Jobs at Homewood Health

See more jobs

Too much middle management: Not enough front line staff. Focus is on profit not patient care

Far too much middle management who do nothing and far few nurses and it is only getting worse with not replacing staff who call in sick or aren't available. Patient care is suffering. All they care about is profit and accept totally unacceptable people for the programs. Safety for staff is seriously lacking. There is no professional development as when nurses want education we have to either pay for it or can't do it at all due to staffing issues. Our benefits are terrible. If you needed to come to Homewood for treatment of something our benefits wouldn't even cover it. How nice is that? They violate collective agreements constantly. Our contract took two years to negotiate. Basically this place is just a money making machine that cares nothing for its staff or patients. All you do is take ++ abuse from patients with ZERO support because it is all about the $$ being made with a body in the bed. Not worth working here. No Occ Health nurse with no replacement in sight. This is the only hospital I have worked at that has a "central staffing" department and let me just say it doesn't work. If you want to work another job while doing this one they will make ZERO accommodations for that. Basically, look somewhere else. The turnover rate in the departments is RIDICULOUS. We try and tell management our concerns and they don't listen.

Great job to have on your resume but not to stay

The pay is astonishingly low and the work load is heavy. It appears that the EAP company [as a whole] is understaffed as there is no down-time in the day. Management talks a big game about self-care and taking time when you feel you need it but will also throw your stats at you and call you to get back on the lines. One of the only reasons I've stayed as long as I have is that my coworkers are some of the most wonderful people. One thing Homewood Health is really good at is hiring - I never imagined it'd be possible to fill an office with 40 of the worlds greatest people.

Pros

Peers, free food sometimes, benefits are awesome, starting with 3 weeks vacation

Cons

understaffed, overworked, underpaid, hearing some pretty hard things

Fast Paced

Fast paced work environment. Lot of changes without transparency / communication with general staff. Good benefits and access to educational opportunities if supported by management.

Do not work here

Management are unsupportive, EFAP workers are often burnt out, overworked, and under the chronic stress of back to back high-intensity (often suicidal/angry) calls from clients. Benefits always being cut. Terribly unethical company that seeks to make profit off the suffering of their clients, while throwing their employees under the bus. This results in incredibly high employee turnover and an apathetic management approach that leaves clients and employees unsupported.

I enjoyed my time at Homewood. The Director was awesome and the staff was warm and friendly. Job security is questionable as the administrative Jobs are not unionized,. It is a warm family like environment.

Pros

on staff cafeteria that affordable

Cons

offoce jobs are not unionized

Would recommend as Ideal first job, not a career

Depending on what department and Management you work for, Expectations of the job are high with minimal reward and compensation. Job burn out and increase in turn over happens at the two year mark. Job satisfaction is low due to the lack of advancement in the company.

Pros

Co-worker support.

Cons

Differcult, disgruntaled, substance abuse clients, verably disrespect and no debrief.

Stable and supportive work environment

Homewood health has great benefits and a supportive and friendly work environment. It is a multi-faceted company offering support in many different ways to the clients who access it.

Homewood Health

Staff are great. Job security is main issue, as most jobs are offered on a part time/contract basis. Workplace is safe and clean, and staff are very friendly.

Pros

Pay

Cons

No benefits for PT / contract staff

Poor Pay

The job itself is decent but the pay is very poor with little to no raise opportunities. The management preaches self care and work life balance but when push comes to shove they do not advocate for the employee and allow harder and more difficult work conditions to proceed.

Pros

good benfits

Cons

very taxing, high burnout rate, very poor pay

Wonderful environment

Highly demanding yet fullfilling job. Unfortunetly the work load does not coordinate with the salary. There is also not a lot of room to grow in the company even with a bachelors. Great coworkers

Great benefits - High work load

Co-workers are supportive. Management is not in touch with work load. Great benefits. Poor metal health work place. No training, no inclusion.

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Poorly managed company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homewood Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement