Homewood Health logo
Homewood Health

Homewood Health Management reviews

Clear

Overall a positive experience_lack of pay increases prevented retention

I had a great experience as an EFAP counselor with Homewood. Set your own schedule, and see clients around a full time job - it was great. The people were great as well! The only thing I was unhappy with was the set fee they pay you - with no discussion around raises, etc. I think Homewood Health would retain their talent if they offered more pay incentives or even yearly pay increases. Staying at 45/hour/client for over five years was discouraging. Otherwise, I got a long well with management and really enjoyed the culture. Case notes were really organized and managed well - you didn't spend all day writing a case note. Everything done through a portal - great job!!

Pros

Easy work expectations.

Cons

No pay increases for internal contractors.

High pay, unfortunately toxic environment

This job is a great paying job for anyone in the security field, starting around $24/hour. This job also provides valuable experience in the mental health field for any looking to use this as a stepping stone. However, there are many toxic staff in all departments and new staff may be treated unfairly by some senior to them. Management puts on a good show. Great at listening, horrible at implementing change, supporting staff and improving the work-life balance. The scheduling isn’t ideal, however it’s what the poorly written collective agreement allowed. Overall, this job is great for the money and mental health experience. So much opportunity for overtime! The part-timers make WAY more than full-timers!!! The work-life balance sucks, there is little support from management and having to work with negative and toxic individuals isn’t so peachy either.

Pros

Money, overtime, experience.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, long shifts, toxic environment, lack of management support, no opportunity to advance in company

Has become very stressful

Been there for 26 years management has changed over the last 6 to 7 years it was a wonderfull place to work now staff you are just a number no respect

Pros

Cons

They are short 60 Reg staff

Great pay, and work environment

Great place to work, pay is great compared to a lot of other places. Co-workers and supervisors are very co-operative and there is good communication. Management however is very absent. When you bring forward an issue, they do nothing about it. This has not affected my job very much but it could negatively impact others.

Pros

Pay, shift availability, work environment

Cons

Absent management

I used to love woeking here, now I hate it.

Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.

Pros

Pays the bills, good co-workers

Cons

Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management

Terrible Management

Great co workers, horrible management. Employees concerns are ignored and zero support from managers. Units often run short staffed. Staff are left to work in unsafe environments and are extremely under appreciated.

Pros

Great co workers

Cons

Horrible management

Wonderful nurses to work with!

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.

Pros

Lots of available OT, positive environment

Cons

Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills

Advise against employment at Homewood Health Ravensview

Typical day: Boring, events rarely happen.What I learned: Nothing productive, only that there is poor management and no communication plus it is a toxic workplace.Management: If I could rate less than 1 star, I would rate -5 out of 5. No communication, if you do your job you will be punished if someone complains. Management sides with client 100% of the time and will not listen to your perspective. If you make the most minor mistake (ex: 1 minute late from returning to break because you needed to wash hands, you will be reprimanded). Management also goes against their word and previous agreements, written and verbal.Workplace culture: Toxic, you will be looked down upon. Management are demeaning to you and will point out every little fault. Borderline criminal harassment. The employer wants brain-dead people who do not think for their work force. Anyone that can think for themselves and question things will have their employment terminated immediately for any reason that management can find.Hardest part of job: Trying to do your job according to policies, procedures, and LAW without being reprimanded. You are under a microscope every time you work. Regardless of whether you follow policy and law, if management does not like it, you will be written up.Most enjoyable part of the job: On site dining, but you have to pay for it.Wages: Poor, they claim to be above average in the industry... this may be true for SOME positions. Most of the money goes to management so they would rather pay less which means more for them to pocket.Overall, the employer has been found to be in -

Pros

On site dining, gym

Cons

Inconsistent management, no communication, you will be looked down upon, you will be punished for doing your job, Mentally ill clients are 100% right in everything under the eyes of management, corporate culture, toxic workplace, poor management, poor wages.

Hostile and unsupportive management (telephonic)

The Homewood company (telephonic counselling) provides services for people across the country suffering from mental health issues. Sadly, navigating the lack of communication and support has revealed that the management of this division prevents, if not punishes, meaningful feedback, dialogue and engagement with qualified personnel. It is structurally and culturally dysfunctional. The work is meaningful but, as far as companies go, it is riddled with highly sensitive and unskilled managers when it comes to dealing with it's contractors. Feedback and, heaven forbid, constructive criticism, is punished. This ultimately diminishes the quality of staff and support it offers to clients which is, ultimately, tragic. There is no mechanism by which to seek help or support short of quitting the organization which leads to high turnover. As an example...there was a scheduling issue (lack of training) and the regional manager began complaining to upper management rather than being accountable, understanding or supportive. Quickly branded and therefore dread communicating with the very management in place to supposedly help. Very petty and unprofessional I have spoken with five other local therapists who also provide occasional clinical counselling for their telephonic and the same, dreadful, views are universally shared regarding the current management in place. Two others have already begun to separate from this branch of Homewood. Quite a shame really as the potential to help is certainly there. Given that they pay roughly 30-40% of a private practitioners normal hourly -

Pros

The clients.

Cons

Management, rigid, inflexible, petty and defensive

The outstanding pro's and con's of the phases of interviewing, acceptance and job offering by one of the most positive psychiatric hospitals.

My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, -

Pros

Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.

Cons

Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking

Jobs at Homewood Health

See more jobs

Unhealthy and Toxic

I was employed at Homewood Health Centre for 5 years and it has become an extremely unhealthy and toxic environment to work in. Upper management has made a mockery of what used to be a great mental health and addictions facility. Employees are treated unfairly and often management disregards employees rights and responsibilities. I would NEVER recommend this facility to anyone.

Good entry level

good first job after graduation for the experience and reputation of the company on your resume. It's not a sustainable long term job with low pay around $16-17 an hour. Benefits are good for full-time staff with 3 weeks vacation. The stress of the difficult stories that clients share when they call to set up counselling can be difficult. Management tries to encourage a mentally healthy workplace but fall short. For a mental health company they need to do better for staff.

Growing organization, great people

I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.

Pros

Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management

Cons

Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous

Is zero and option! Stay far far away!

Worst plat I have ever worked. No management oversight or feedback. Sexist management. Poor salary. Made me take a vacation day when grandma died. They plan your exist the day you start.

Cons

Handled STD cases, data processing and Employee interviews. Hardest part of job - trained by an inexperienced trainer. Best- team of 9 great case mgrs

They provided distance training for 7 weeks out of the 12 week probationary period. I wasn’t given goals to reach and I was the trainer’s first trainee. When I didn’t meet her expectations in 7 weeks they terminated my employment. At 7 weeks I was feeling competent and now able to work faster and more accurately. Their training and management was poor. The team was fantastic!

FANTASTIC place to work!

It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.

OK entry level Job for Experience Only

I worked at Homewood for a number of years and I finally came to realize one day I was completely miserable and decided to leave. You are expected to work yourself sick day in and day out, for little pay and no extra compensation for taking on extra work that was just dumped on you. Constantly having to take on more work from other departments who don't have enough staff either and instead of spending the money and hiring new staff they just expect the bottom feeders who are paid the least to pick up the slack. You get a fair amount of time off but there's no point in using it because when you come back to work you will just regret having taken the time off when you get in trouble for something that happened while you weren't there. Management plays favourites and takes sides. One person gets told no you can't do that but their direct coworkers gets told yes for no reason. One person gets in trouble for doing something that certain other people will just get away with. It is an OK place to start off if you need experience but there's little for advancement and people do seem to get let go quite suddenly for no apparent reason.

Too much middle management: Not enough front line staff. Focus is on profit not patient care

Far too much middle management who do nothing and far few nurses and it is only getting worse with not replacing staff who call in sick or aren't available. Patient care is suffering. All they care about is profit and accept totally unacceptable people for the programs. Safety for staff is seriously lacking. There is no professional development as when nurses want education we have to either pay for it or can't do it at all due to staffing issues. Our benefits are terrible. If you needed to come to Homewood for treatment of something our benefits wouldn't even cover it. How nice is that? They violate collective agreements constantly. Our contract took two years to negotiate. Basically this place is just a money making machine that cares nothing for its staff or patients. All you do is take ++ abuse from patients with ZERO support because it is all about the $$ being made with a body in the bed. Not worth working here. No Occ Health nurse with no replacement in sight. This is the only hospital I have worked at that has a "central staffing" department and let me just say it doesn't work. If you want to work another job while doing this one they will make ZERO accommodations for that. Basically, look somewhere else. The turnover rate in the departments is RIDICULOUS. We try and tell management our concerns and they don't listen.

Zero support for clinicians

Management completely absent Management takes sides, allowing some staff to engage in certain behaviours while getting others in trouble for the same thing. No room for growth Rapidly changing policies not shared with clinicians until an unknown violation of the policy occurs clients end up suffering because of it

Just okay

I worked here briefly and couldn't leave soon enough. The Guelph office is disorganized. The call centre staff have a Bachelor's degree and working for 17/hr. The turnover is high and everyone seems cranky. The Montreal office is equally ridiculous. Vancouver seemed nice and wished the culture there was reflected at the other locations. For a company whose goal is to help people it's ironic how toxic it is

The emperor has no clothes

Truly, don't work here, or start planning your exit when you start. There are a lot of wonderful people working very hard here on this sinking ship. They are all doing six jobs, because someone left so they stretched to accommodate more than they bargained for. They're all overworked, generally underpaid and not paid more if they're doing more, and most are burnt out. If there were time to collaborate with them and create individualised care, it would be wonderful. There are tiny snippets of wonderful, just enough to keep you on. Know that you may be told what you want to hear, not the truth. Is the experience worth the daily helpings this place takes of your soul as you smile at the people in your care that we are all one happy Homewood, working together for them? Maybe. Unless you're prepared to patch this ship and rebuild it while it's sailing, go offer your care somewhere else. P.S. There are also some people who are not working very hard but they get paid great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homewood Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement