Homewood Health logo
Homewood Health

Homewood Health Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
2.7Job security & advancement

Overall a positive experience_lack of pay increases prevented retention

I had a great experience as an EFAP counselor with Homewood. Set your own schedule, and see clients around a full time job - it was great. The people were great as well! The only thing I was unhappy with was the set fee they pay you - with no discussion around raises, etc. I think Homewood Health would retain their talent if they offered more pay incentives or even yearly pay increases. Staying at 45/hour/client for over five years was discouraging. Otherwise, I got a long well with management and really enjoyed the culture. Case notes were really organized and managed well - you didn't spend all day writing a case note. Everything done through a portal - great job!!

Pros

Easy work expectations.

Cons

No pay increases for internal contractors.

High pay, unfortunately toxic environment

This job is a great paying job for anyone in the security field, starting around $24/hour. This job also provides valuable experience in the mental health field for any looking to use this as a stepping stone. However, there are many toxic staff in all departments and new staff may be treated unfairly by some senior to them. Management puts on a good show. Great at listening, horrible at implementing change, supporting staff and improving the work-life balance. The scheduling isn’t ideal, however it’s what the poorly written collective agreement allowed. Overall, this job is great for the money and mental health experience. So much opportunity for overtime! The part-timers make WAY more than full-timers!!! The work-life balance sucks, there is little support from management and having to work with negative and toxic individuals isn’t so peachy either.

Pros

Money, overtime, experience.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, long shifts, toxic environment, lack of management support, no opportunity to advance in company

Wonderful nurses to work with!

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.

Pros

Lots of available OT, positive environment

Cons

Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills

laid back position

for someone who is older would be a perfect fit. Professional workplace, Located in the heart of downtown toronto and building is well kept with security.

Productive fun

Awesome company great place to work great collaboration with team members aleways willing to help wotrk form hoem with amamzing suoppport system greta company with greta repputation

I enjoy working at Homewood. It is very team oriented and there are opportunities to further your career and to develop more skills as you work there.

The outstanding pro's and con's of the phases of interviewing, acceptance and job offering by one of the most positive psychiatric hospitals.

My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, -

Pros

Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.

Cons

Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking

Great job! Would love more hours though

Very Casual employment. Would love to work way more for this company but hours don't seem to be available right now. Travel is required which is rough sometimes.

Growing organization, great people

I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.

Pros

Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management

Cons

Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous

Handled STD cases, data processing and Employee interviews. Hardest part of job - trained by an inexperienced trainer. Best- team of 9 great case mgrs

They provided distance training for 7 weeks out of the 12 week probationary period. I wasn’t given goals to reach and I was the trainer’s first trainee. When I didn’t meet her expectations in 7 weeks they terminated my employment. At 7 weeks I was feeling competent and now able to work faster and more accurately. Their training and management was poor. The team was fantastic!

Jobs at Homewood Health

See more jobs

FANTASTIC place to work!

It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.

OK entry level Job for Experience Only

I worked at Homewood for a number of years and I finally came to realize one day I was completely miserable and decided to leave. You are expected to work yourself sick day in and day out, for little pay and no extra compensation for taking on extra work that was just dumped on you. Constantly having to take on more work from other departments who don't have enough staff either and instead of spending the money and hiring new staff they just expect the bottom feeders who are paid the least to pick up the slack. You get a fair amount of time off but there's no point in using it because when you come back to work you will just regret having taken the time off when you get in trouble for something that happened while you weren't there. Management plays favourites and takes sides. One person gets told no you can't do that but their direct coworkers gets told yes for no reason. One person gets in trouble for doing something that certain other people will just get away with. It is an OK place to start off if you need experience but there's little for advancement and people do seem to get let go quite suddenly for no apparent reason.

Just okay

I worked here briefly and couldn't leave soon enough. The Guelph office is disorganized. The call centre staff have a Bachelor's degree and working for 17/hr. The turnover is high and everyone seems cranky. The Montreal office is equally ridiculous. Vancouver seemed nice and wished the culture there was reflected at the other locations. For a company whose goal is to help people it's ironic how toxic it is

Challenging and lot of learning experiences

interesting place to work, lots of self learning. Good culture, encouraging staff, always motivating.Very diverse, inclusive environment. Caring, patient-focused, rewarding work. Great free fitness facility, beautiful grounds, rewards and recognition encouraged, opportunities for advancement if you invest the time and effort.

Stressful and emotional

I prsonally found if very difficult to work with a vast number of patients, all whose situation was from the next. I was unable to separate my work life from my home life and would often find myself upset after work.

Pros

Good rapport with patients and co-workers alike

Do not work at homewood!!

I worked in the Clinical Records Department and found management to be lacking. They would ask us the workers how the job was done...something they should know. My contract was not renewed as it was a temporary position with no anticipation or need for the job to be continued was what I was told, so at the end I left after asking many times that I was willing to stay on since I liked the position and was told I was a good and thorough worker. The very next day someone showed up for the position as it was now a PERMANENT FULL TIME POSITION...something sneaky in the works was happening right behind my back and the total opposite told to my face. The office was disgusted as to how dirty the whole situation had played out..Management was very deceitful, dishonest and spineless.

Pros

Great co-workers...Free bullshat.

Cons

Lots of deceit, no honesty with management.

Was once a great place to work but no longer the case

Great entry level job, but lacks the advancement opportunities. Nearly no support from Senior management. Terrible work life balance 7 day stretches without the appropriate time off to maintain a good overall mental health of the employees. Unable to reach agreements with the unionized workers, 2 years past the expiry of the previous contract.

All about the client... not about the employee

While I worked there, I was hired as a front desk receptionist, but the contract indicated that "other tasks might be required." It turned out that this was their sneaky way of allowing themselves to assign you tasks in half a dozen different departments. By the end, on top of my initial position as front desk receptionist, I also became a Crisis Management administrator and a Provincial administrator. When I indicated that the workload was too much (I would have needed a 60 hour work week to do everything!), I was told I had bad time management. So, to help me... they made me take a one-hour counselling session to help me manage my time... Right! Because when there's already not enough hours in the day, let's take some more away to sit and talk about how to be efficient! The funny thing is, I was placed through an agency, worked there for 3 months before applying to be an official Homewood employee and was there an additional 8 months before being terminated. I had GREAT feedback from all my immediate coworkers (within the office. The main headquarters are in Ontario.) Home office didn't seem to notice that my work became poor once they began dumping more and more on me. Overall, I wasn't impressed with management and felt that, for a company who's all about mental health, the don't give a shine-o-la about their employees' mental well-being. I wouldn't recommend! Hypocrites.

Homewood

I think homewood is an amazing place. Ive always wanted to worrk there and I would be excited to be chosen to come aboard to be able to be employeed here.

Pros

great workplace

Cons

Good place to gain experience

Homewood was my first job after graduation, I learned a lot about nursing as a whole. I found the work to be tedious though, and felt it was more of a social work/counselling role versus nursing, which was not for me.

Gerat Company

Great place to work good support and training. Allow the ability to travel and participate with good people. I would recommend Homewood. There are many different options.

Pros

Independance

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homewood Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement