Homewood Health logo
Homewood Health

Homewood Health Culture reviews

Clear

Overall a positive experience_lack of pay increases prevented retention

I had a great experience as an EFAP counselor with Homewood. Set your own schedule, and see clients around a full time job - it was great. The people were great as well! The only thing I was unhappy with was the set fee they pay you - with no discussion around raises, etc. I think Homewood Health would retain their talent if they offered more pay incentives or even yearly pay increases. Staying at 45/hour/client for over five years was discouraging. Otherwise, I got a long well with management and really enjoyed the culture. Case notes were really organized and managed well - you didn't spend all day writing a case note. Everything done through a portal - great job!!

Pros

Easy work expectations.

Cons

No pay increases for internal contractors.

Wonderful nurses to work with!

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.

Pros

Lots of available OT, positive environment

Cons

Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills

Advise against employment at Homewood Health Ravensview

Typical day: Boring, events rarely happen.What I learned: Nothing productive, only that there is poor management and no communication plus it is a toxic workplace.Management: If I could rate less than 1 star, I would rate -5 out of 5. No communication, if you do your job you will be punished if someone complains. Management sides with client 100% of the time and will not listen to your perspective. If you make the most minor mistake (ex: 1 minute late from returning to break because you needed to wash hands, you will be reprimanded). Management also goes against their word and previous agreements, written and verbal.Workplace culture: Toxic, you will be looked down upon. Management are demeaning to you and will point out every little fault. Borderline criminal harassment. The employer wants brain-dead people who do not think for their work force. Anyone that can think for themselves and question things will have their employment terminated immediately for any reason that management can find.Hardest part of job: Trying to do your job according to policies, procedures, and LAW without being reprimanded. You are under a microscope every time you work. Regardless of whether you follow policy and law, if management does not like it, you will be written up.Most enjoyable part of the job: On site dining, but you have to pay for it.Wages: Poor, they claim to be above average in the industry... this may be true for SOME positions. Most of the money goes to management so they would rather pay less which means more for them to pocket.Overall, the employer has been found to be in -

Pros

On site dining, gym

Cons

Inconsistent management, no communication, you will be looked down upon, you will be punished for doing your job, Mentally ill clients are 100% right in everything under the eyes of management, corporate culture, toxic workplace, poor management, poor wages.

Productive fun

Awesome company great place to work great collaboration with team members aleways willing to help wotrk form hoem with amamzing suoppport system greta company with greta repputation

Handled STD cases, data processing and Employee interviews. Hardest part of job - trained by an inexperienced trainer. Best- team of 9 great case mgrs

They provided distance training for 7 weeks out of the 12 week probationary period. I wasn’t given goals to reach and I was the trainer’s first trainee. When I didn’t meet her expectations in 7 weeks they terminated my employment. At 7 weeks I was feeling competent and now able to work faster and more accurately. Their training and management was poor. The team was fantastic!

FANTASTIC place to work!

It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.

Just okay

I worked here briefly and couldn't leave soon enough. The Guelph office is disorganized. The call centre staff have a Bachelor's degree and working for 17/hr. The turnover is high and everyone seems cranky. The Montreal office is equally ridiculous. Vancouver seemed nice and wished the culture there was reflected at the other locations. For a company whose goal is to help people it's ironic how toxic it is

Challenging and lot of learning experiences

interesting place to work, lots of self learning. Good culture, encouraging staff, always motivating.Very diverse, inclusive environment. Caring, patient-focused, rewarding work. Great free fitness facility, beautiful grounds, rewards and recognition encouraged, opportunities for advancement if you invest the time and effort.

Poor experience

Terrible problems exist that made it virtually impossible to be successful. Climate of distrust is appauling. Some of the worst micro-management I have ever seen.

Pros

Not enough of any one factor.

Cons

Terrible management culture

Gerat Company

Great place to work good support and training. Allow the ability to travel and participate with good people. I would recommend Homewood. There are many different options.

Pros

Independance

Jobs at Homewood Health

See more jobs

A Great Place to Work

Homewood Health Centre is a great place to work. I feel supported by the nursing management and enjoy that there is a variety of in-service learning opportunities and encouragement for continuing education. Nurses at Homewood are highly involved in patients care. We are skilled, talented, and passionate. I love that we are listened to and also respected by the interdisciplinary team.

Pros

Beautiful grounds, gratifying work, sense of community with co-workers

Cons

shift work and 7 day streches

caring staff

i enjoy my position at homewood, the staff are pretty friendly. Team work is important in this position and most staff work together well to provide excellent care to patients. i am learning lots and appreciate the training and guidance that staff give. the only drawback is hours when you are a new hire. I wish set part time lines were available.

Pros

challenging job, opportunities for personal and professional growth

Cons

not many available shifts as a new hire

Teamwork is important - we worked hard and still able to have a bit of fun

The best part of the job, in the early years, was autonomy and the worst part were the years of mergers and acquisitions of our departments and divisions. The culture in the early years was one of respect, hard work, team work, appreciation by supervisors.

Pros

Work colleagues became good friends

Cons

Several Mergers and Changes

Excellent workplace to apply and develop skills in mental health nursing

Staff and management are extremely supportive. Culture of interprofessional collaboration is exceptional. Nurses are heard, and actively participate in decision making and care planning for patients.

good

Good place to work if your full time only down side is the union you can not cross train all in all good place. co-works are friendly jobs not hard most enjoyable is they have a cafe.

Enjoyable experience

I spent time on two different units at Homewood Health Centre. The staff was excellent in competent in their respected disciplines. Management was supportive of staff and intimately involved in the day-to-day stressors.

great place to work but hard to get full time

I enjoyed working there very much. Great co-workers, fair bosses, good pay but only part time available

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

nice to get more hrs.