Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Good place to work if you enjoy mental health nursing. I do not like mental health nursing, though I gave it a try as this is my first mental health job. I found a lot of the other nurses pretentious and just sit in the nursing station and make fun of the patients when it's fairly clear they themselves have never had any brushes with poor mental health and are able to make fun of this type of population. The company is poor at communication and are too lax in their rules with the patients. As for just mental health nursing in general: the patients can be rude and unappreciative.
Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.
Pros
Pays the bills, good co-workers
Cons
Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management
Great co workers, horrible management. Employees concerns are ignored and zero support from managers. Units often run short staffed. Staff are left to work in unsafe environments and are extremely under appreciated.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Horrible management
My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, - more...
Pros
Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.
Cons
Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking
I was employed at Homewood Health Centre for 5 years and it has become an extremely unhealthy and toxic environment to work in. Upper management has made a mockery of what used to be a great mental health and addictions facility. Employees are treated unfairly and often management disregards employees rights and responsibilities. I would NEVER recommend this facility to anyone.
interesting place to work, lots of self learning. Good culture, encouraging staff, always motivating.Very diverse, inclusive environment. Caring, patient-focused, rewarding work. Great free fitness facility, beautiful grounds, rewards and recognition encouraged, opportunities for advancement if you invest the time and effort.
Homewood was my first job after graduation, I learned a lot about nursing as a whole. I found the work to be tedious though, and felt it was more of a social work/counselling role versus nursing, which was not for me.
Homewood Health Centre is a great place to work. I feel supported by the nursing management and enjoy that there is a variety of in-service learning opportunities and encouragement for continuing education. Nurses at Homewood are highly involved in patients care. We are skilled, talented, and passionate. I love that we are listened to and also respected by the interdisciplinary team.
Pros
Beautiful grounds, gratifying work, sense of community with co-workers
Cons
shift work and 7 day streches
Staff and management are extremely supportive. Culture of interprofessional collaboration is exceptional. Nurses are heard, and actively participate in decision making and care planning for patients.
Very friendly environment where staff support colleagues. Management and HR are very unorganized, shift swap and vacation time are difficult to receive, and units are constantly not staffed accordingly.