Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews in Guelph, ON

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.
Pros
Lots of available OT, positive environment
Cons
Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills
I joined in April 2020, just at the onset of the pandemic. I've been working from home since my first day. I love working for this company and I would recommend this to anyone. My manager is supportive and I'm lucky to have a wonderful team.
Pros
work from home, saves fuel and time
Cons
nothing
As a housekeeper at the Homewood my days are always interesting. To work in housekeeping, you need to have energy and an eye for detail. Fast paced but also rewarding.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Running short staffed
Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.
Pros
Pays the bills, good co-workers
Cons
Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management
Great co workers, horrible management. Employees concerns are ignored and zero support from managers. Units often run short staffed. Staff are left to work in unsafe environments and are extremely under appreciated.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Horrible management
It was exciting to work for Homewood Health Centre in the beginning until Covid hit, they lacked major communication skills when it came to an outbreak. Being on any unit you will see the toxic, nurses are always looking miserable or working doubles or short staff. Homewood health centre doesn’t care for their staff, as they continue to work short when dealing with Mental Health. Homewood will hurt your mental health as an employee.
Pros
Some great co-workers
Cons
Toxic environment
Homewood has some very rich history and long standing employees which gives you a sense of stability. No matter what department you work in, you are valued and it is made clear that we all are a valuable part of making a difference in our patient’s lives. The campus is beautiful with nice walking trails, tennis, disc golf, basketball, and gardens. Wonderful place to go out and take a nice walk at break or enjoy your lunch outdoors.
Pros
Your contribution changes lives
Cons
Can be stressful
In my role at Homewood, I am faced with a unique and challenging opportunities on a regular basis. In order to optimize our response to these opportunities, I need to work collaboratively with a number of diverse stakeholders to reach a solution that benefits the most people. In the end, all of our work is done to provide a needed service to a highly disadvantaged population.
Pros
Meaningful work
Cons
Fast Paced Change
The nursing staff is why I love my job, everyone there is helpful and wonderful! Homewood Health is fast paced environment, lots of hours can be picked up through out the hospitals.
Good place to work if you enjoy mental health nursing. I do not like mental health nursing, though I gave it a try as this is my first mental health job. I found a lot of the other nurses pretentious and just sit in the nursing station and make fun of the patients when it's fairly clear they themselves have never had any brushes with poor mental health and are able to make fun of this type of population. The company is poor at communication and are too lax in their rules with the patients. As for just mental health nursing in general: the patients can be rude and unappreciative.
I enjoy working at Homewood. It is very team oriented and there are opportunities to further your career and to develop more skills as you work there.
My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, - more...
Pros
Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.
Cons
Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking
I was employed at Homewood Health Centre for 5 years and it has become an extremely unhealthy and toxic environment to work in. Upper management has made a mockery of what used to be a great mental health and addictions facility. Employees are treated unfairly and often management disregards employees rights and responsibilities. I would NEVER recommend this facility to anyone.
good first job after graduation for the experience and reputation of the company on your resume. It's not a sustainable long term job with low pay around $16-17 an hour. Benefits are good for full-time staff with 3 weeks vacation. The stress of the difficult stories that clients share when they call to set up counselling can be difficult. Management tries to encourage a mentally healthy workplace but fall short. For a mental health company they need to do better for staff.
A great place to volunteer. The staff answers any questions happily. If you make mistakes, they gently correct you. I feel the patients value the time I donate.
I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.
Pros
Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management
Cons
Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous
I worked in the Older Adults program. Coming from Long Term Care it was a breath of fresh air to work at a place where staff to patient ratio was a very fair balance. We actually had time to properly care for our patients needs. As well as have time left over and just sit and talk with them. A lot of patients just desire time, unfortunately a lot of places are so sort staffed there is no allowance for this luxury. Homewood was a wonderful experience I loved my job and was sad to leave but we relocated.
Worst plat I have ever worked. No management oversight or feedback. Sexist management. Poor salary. Made me take a vacation day when grandma died. They plan your exist the day you start.
Cons
It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.
Students required to do more than regular full-time staff, told to do heavy lifting but lots of time working alone as long as you got your tasks done within reasonable time
Far too much middle management who do nothing and far few nurses and it is only getting worse with not replacing staff who call in sick or aren't available. Patient care is suffering. All they care about is profit and accept totally unacceptable people for the programs. Safety for staff is seriously lacking. There is no professional development as when nurses want education we have to either pay for it or can't do it at all due to staffing issues. Our benefits are terrible. If you needed to come to Homewood for treatment of something our benefits wouldn't even cover it. How nice is that? They violate collective agreements constantly. Our contract took two years to negotiate. Basically this place is just a money making machine that cares nothing for its staff or patients. All you do is take ++ abuse from patients with ZERO support because it is all about the $$ being made with a body in the bed. Not worth working here. No Occ Health nurse with no replacement in sight. This is the only hospital I have worked at that has a "central staffing" department and let me just say it doesn't work. If you want to work another job while doing this one they will make ZERO accommodations for that. Basically, look somewhere else. The turnover rate in the departments is RIDICULOUS. We try and tell management our concerns and they don't listen.