Homewood Health logo
Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Overall a positive experience_lack of pay increases prevented retention

I had a great experience as an EFAP counselor with Homewood. Set your own schedule, and see clients around a full time job - it was great. The people were great as well! The only thing I was unhappy with was the set fee they pay you - with no discussion around raises, etc. I think Homewood Health would retain their talent if they offered more pay incentives or even yearly pay increases. Staying at 45/hour/client for over five years was discouraging. Otherwise, I got a long well with management and really enjoyed the culture. Case notes were really organized and managed well - you didn't spend all day writing a case note. Everything done through a portal - great job!!

Pros

Easy work expectations.

Cons

No pay increases for internal contractors.

Has become very stressful

Been there for 26 years management has changed over the last 6 to 7 years it was a wonderfull place to work now staff you are just a number no respect

Pros

Cons

They are short 60 Reg staff

good place to work

great place to work! flexible, meaningful work, respectful team, having the option of working from home is really a game changer! I just wish they paid clinicians a bit better but overall its worth it!

wonderful team and great employer

I joined in April 2020, just at the onset of the pandemic. I've been working from home since my first day. I love working for this company and I would recommend this to anyone. My manager is supportive and I'm lucky to have a wonderful team.

Pros

work from home, saves fuel and time

Cons

nothing

Great pay, and work environment

Great place to work, pay is great compared to a lot of other places. Co-workers and supervisors are very co-operative and there is good communication. Management however is very absent. When you bring forward an issue, they do nothing about it. This has not affected my job very much but it could negatively impact others.

Pros

Pay, shift availability, work environment

Cons

Absent management

Fast paced and supportive co-workers

As a housekeeper at the Homewood my days are always interesting. To work in housekeeping, you need to have energy and an eye for detail. Fast paced but also rewarding.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Running short staffed

I used to love woeking here, now I hate it.

Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.

Pros

Pays the bills, good co-workers

Cons

Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management

Terrible Management

Great co workers, horrible management. Employees concerns are ignored and zero support from managers. Units often run short staffed. Staff are left to work in unsafe environments and are extremely under appreciated.

Pros

Great co workers

Cons

Horrible management

Wonderful nurses to work with!

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.

Pros

Lots of available OT, positive environment

Cons

Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills

Great team low pay

There are a lot of great people here working hard - but there is an old school mentality in management that makes change hard, and not much room for advancement and growth. Salaries are low for industry average.

Pros

work from home, benefits

Cons

low pay, not flexible

Jobs at Homewood Health

See more jobs

Advise against employment at Homewood Health Ravensview

Typical day: Boring, events rarely happen.What I learned: Nothing productive, only that there is poor management and no communication plus it is a toxic workplace.Management: If I could rate less than 1 star, I would rate -5 out of 5. No communication, if you do your job you will be punished if someone complains. Management sides with client 100% of the time and will not listen to your perspective. If you make the most minor mistake (ex: 1 minute late from returning to break because you needed to wash hands, you will be reprimanded). Management also goes against their word and previous agreements, written and verbal.Workplace culture: Toxic, you will be looked down upon. Management are demeaning to you and will point out every little fault. Borderline criminal harassment. The employer wants brain-dead people who do not think for their work force. Anyone that can think for themselves and question things will have their employment terminated immediately for any reason that management can find.Hardest part of job: Trying to do your job according to policies, procedures, and LAW without being reprimanded. You are under a microscope every time you work. Regardless of whether you follow policy and law, if management does not like it, you will be written up.Most enjoyable part of the job: On site dining, but you have to pay for it.Wages: Poor, they claim to be above average in the industry... this may be true for SOME positions. Most of the money goes to management so they would rather pay less which means more for them to pocket.Overall, the employer has been found to be in -

Pros

On site dining, gym

Cons

Inconsistent management, no communication, you will be looked down upon, you will be punished for doing your job, Mentally ill clients are 100% right in everything under the eyes of management, corporate culture, toxic workplace, poor management, poor wages.

Homewood- It’s not what it really seems like

It was exciting to work for Homewood Health Centre in the beginning until Covid hit, they lacked major communication skills when it came to an outbreak. Being on any unit you will see the toxic, nurses are always looking miserable or working doubles or short staff. Homewood health centre doesn’t care for their staff, as they continue to work short when dealing with Mental Health. Homewood will hurt your mental health as an employee.

Pros

Some great co-workers

Cons

Toxic environment

Hostile and unsupportive management (telephonic)

The Homewood company (telephonic counselling) provides services for people across the country suffering from mental health issues. Sadly, navigating the lack of communication and support has revealed that the management of this division prevents, if not punishes, meaningful feedback, dialogue and engagement with qualified personnel. It is structurally and culturally dysfunctional. The work is meaningful but, as far as companies go, it is riddled with highly sensitive and unskilled managers when it comes to dealing with it's contractors. Feedback and, heaven forbid, constructive criticism, is punished. This ultimately diminishes the quality of staff and support it offers to clients which is, ultimately, tragic. There is no mechanism by which to seek help or support short of quitting the organization which leads to high turnover. As an example...there was a scheduling issue (lack of training) and the regional manager began complaining to upper management rather than being accountable, understanding or supportive. Quickly branded and therefore dread communicating with the very management in place to supposedly help. Very petty and unprofessional I have spoken with five other local therapists who also provide occasional clinical counselling for their telephonic and the same, dreadful, views are universally shared regarding the current management in place. Two others have already begun to separate from this branch of Homewood. Quite a shame really as the potential to help is certainly there. Given that they pay roughly 30-40% of a private practitioners normal hourly -

Pros

The clients.

Cons

Management, rigid, inflexible, petty and defensive

Poorly managed kitchen, egomanic in charge, disorganized.

I was hired the Chef made great claims that he had menus, recipes, and that the kitchen was well run. My first day I could see none of this was true. Even after the center has been opened for a year the kitchen every day was kayos, different times while following the Chefs orders to use rotten ingredients or products that were not Food safe part of his efforts to be IN charge and IN control. Loud angry child like out bursts when small problems arose, kicking carts, slamming down pots and pans ,throwing things around ,cursing and swearing, If someone appeared tired as they were working the Chef made comments about them drinking too much because they are Aboriginal Natives ( racist comments) , ( this worker is a single mom, three kids, one grandchild she is raising, and she is busy in the community and tries to run a small home based business). I my opinion the person that chose the Chef for this facility either did not have any suitable applicants and took what was offered or did a very poor job interviewing the Chef.

Pros

You can always find a better job

Cons

lies, lies, lies.

Feel like part of a family

Homewood has some very rich history and long standing employees which gives you a sense of stability. No matter what department you work in, you are valued and it is made clear that we all are a valuable part of making a difference in our patient’s lives. The campus is beautiful with nice walking trails, tennis, disc golf, basketball, and gardens. Wonderful place to go out and take a nice walk at break or enjoy your lunch outdoors.

Pros

Your contribution changes lives

Cons

Can be stressful

Challenging and Rewarding Workplace

In my role at Homewood, I am faced with a unique and challenging opportunities on a regular basis. In order to optimize our response to these opportunities, I need to work collaboratively with a number of diverse stakeholders to reach a solution that benefits the most people. In the end, all of our work is done to provide a needed service to a highly disadvantaged population.

Pros

Meaningful work

Cons

Fast Paced Change

Very inclusive, kind workplace. My co-workers genuinely care about others and making a difference. Fast paced, constantly evolving and improving. Very results oriented. Lots of opportunity to grow your career if you want to.

Pros

Supportive co-workers, endless opportunities for continuous learning

Cons

Fast-paced, need to be ok with change

pay peanuts get monkeys

low pay, they claim they do a check what other places in area are paying then base a salary off of that. Looking for workers all the time , high turnaround for a reason. right from the stunned person that does the interview on... stay away

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

laid back position

for someone who is older would be a perfect fit. Professional workplace, Located in the heart of downtown toronto and building is well kept with security.

Productive fun

Awesome company great place to work great collaboration with team members aleways willing to help wotrk form hoem with amamzing suoppport system greta company with greta repputation

love my employees

The nursing staff is why I love my job, everyone there is helpful and wonderful! Homewood Health is fast paced environment, lots of hours can be picked up through out the hospitals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homewood Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement