Homewood Health
Homewood Health Employee Review

3 March 2020
My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, - more...
5.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.
Cons
Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking
17 January 2021
Same roleSame location
Full-time Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) - Guelph, ON
Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.
Pros
Pays the bills, good co-workers
Cons
Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management
6 January 2021
Same roleSame location
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) - Guelph, ON
Great co workers, horrible management. Employees concerns are ignored and zero support from managers. Units often run short staffed. Staff are left to work in unsafe environments and are extremely under appreciated.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Horrible management
17 March 2021
Same location
Data Analyst (Current Employee) - Guelph, ON
I joined in April 2020, just at the onset of the pandemic. I've been working from home since my first day. I love working for this company and I would recommend this to anyone. My manager is supportive and I'm lucky to have a wonderful team.
Pros
work from home, saves fuel and time
Cons
nothing
  1. The outstanding pro's and con's of the phases of interviewing, acceptance and job offering by one of the most positive psychiatric hospitals.