Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews

Canada71 reviews
for someone who is older would be a perfect fit. Professional workplace, Located in the heart of downtown toronto and building is well kept with security.
low pay, they claim they do a check what other places in area are paying then base a salary off of that. Looking for workers all the time , high turnaround for a reason. right from the stunned person that does the interview on... stay away
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Awesome company great place to work great collaboration with team members aleways willing to help wotrk form hoem with amamzing suoppport system greta company with greta repputation
The nursing staff is why I love my job, everyone there is helpful and wonderful!
Homewood Health is fast paced environment, lots of hours can be picked up through out the hospitals.
Good place to work if you enjoy mental health nursing. I do not like mental health nursing, though I gave it a try as this is my first mental health job. I found a lot of the other nurses pretentious and just sit in the nursing station and make fun of the patients when it's fairly clear they themselves have never had any brushes with poor mental health and are able to make fun of this type of population. The company is poor at communication and are too lax in their rules with the patients. As for just mental health nursing in general: the patients can be rude and unappreciative.
I enjoy working at Homewood. It is very team oriented and there are opportunities to further your career and to develop more skills as you work there.
My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, - more...
Pros
Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.
Cons
Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking
I was employed at Homewood Health Centre for 5 years and it has become an extremely unhealthy and toxic environment to work in. Upper management has made a mockery of what used to be a great mental health and addictions facility. Employees are treated unfairly and often management disregards employees rights and responsibilities. I would NEVER recommend this facility to anyone.
good first job after graduation for the experience and reputation of the company on your resume. It's not a sustainable long term job with low pay around $16-17 an hour. Benefits are good for full-time staff with 3 weeks vacation. The stress of the difficult stories that clients share when they call to set up counselling can be difficult. Management tries to encourage a mentally healthy workplace but fall short. For a mental health company they need to do better for staff.
A great place to volunteer. The staff answers any questions happily. If you make mistakes, they gently correct you. I feel the patients value the time I donate.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Homewood Health?
Very Casual employment. Would love to work way more for this company but hours don't seem to be available right now. Travel is required which is rough sometimes.
I enjoy working at Homewood and have had a positive experience here. There are lots of great people here, the environment is generally quite flexible and accommodating. The company is growing fast, so workloads can be heavy, but its a great place to learn and have opportunity to get involved in different areas of the business. I would recommend working here to anyone who doesn't mind some change and challenge, and the rewards that can come with it.
Pros
Excellent benefits, depending on department there is flexibility in schedule as needed, understanding and supportive management
Cons
Some typical organizational challenges around communication from the top, pay is not ideal although benefits and vacation are generous
I worked in the Older Adults program. Coming from Long Term Care it was a breath of fresh air to work at a place where staff to patient ratio was a very fair balance. We actually had time to properly care for our patients needs. As well as have time left over and just sit and talk with them. A lot of patients just desire time, unfortunately a lot of places are so sort staffed there is no allowance for this luxury. Homewood was a wonderful experience I loved my job and was sad to leave but we relocated.
Worst plat I have ever worked. No management oversight or feedback. Sexist management. Poor salary. Made me take a vacation day when grandma died. They plan your exist the day you start.
Cons
They provided distance training for 7 weeks out of the 12 week probationary period. I wasn’t given goals to reach and I was the trainer’s first trainee. When I didn’t meet her expectations in 7 weeks they terminated my employment. At 7 weeks I was feeling competent and now able to work faster and more accurately. Their training and management was poor. The team was fantastic!
It is very difficult to put into words why Homewood is such an amazing place to work because I feel this as warmth in my heart. It's such a great feeling getting up everyday and wanting to come to work. The people on my team are just fantastic and the other staff members I don't necessarily interact with on a daily basis are just as wonderful. The work is meaningful and rewarding, and everyone is here for the same purpose of improving lives. It's not just the front line clinical staff that make a difference in the lives of Canadians fighting Mental Health and or Addictions issues, it's takes the entire team of Homewood employee's from Senior Management and down. The opportunities for advancement in your career are here, and Homewood provides career investment funding to help you do so. I enjoy the compensation, benefits and culture that Homewood has. It is a very respectful workplace, and I see myself here for many many years.
I worked at Homewood for a number of years and I finally came to realize one day I was completely miserable and decided to leave. You are expected to work yourself sick day in and day out, for little pay and no extra compensation for taking on extra work that was just dumped on you. Constantly having to take on more work from other departments who don't have enough staff either and instead of spending the money and hiring new staff they just expect the bottom feeders who are paid the least to pick up the slack. You get a fair amount of time off but there's no point in using it because when you come back to work you will just regret having taken the time off when you get in trouble for something that happened while you weren't there. Management plays favourites and takes sides. One person gets told no you can't do that but their direct coworkers gets told yes for no reason. One person gets in trouble for doing something that certain other people will just get away with. It is an OK place to start off if you need experience but there's little for advancement and people do seem to get let go quite suddenly for no apparent reason.
Students required to do more than regular full-time staff, told to do heavy lifting but lots of time working alone as long as you got your tasks done within reasonable time
Far too much middle management who do nothing and far few nurses and it is only getting worse with not replacing staff who call in sick or aren't available. Patient care is suffering. All they care about is profit and accept totally unacceptable people for the programs. Safety for staff is seriously lacking. There is no professional development as when nurses want education we have to either pay for it or can't do it at all due to staffing issues. Our benefits are terrible. If you needed to come to Homewood for treatment of something our benefits wouldn't even cover it. How nice is that? They violate collective agreements constantly. Our contract took two years to negotiate. Basically this place is just a money making machine that cares nothing for its staff or patients. All you do is take ++ abuse from patients with ZERO support because it is all about the $$ being made with a body in the bed. Not worth working here. No Occ Health nurse with no replacement in sight. This is the only hospital I have worked at that has a "central staffing" department and let me just say it doesn't work. If you want to work another job while doing this one they will make ZERO accommodations for that. Basically, look somewhere else. The turnover rate in the departments is RIDICULOUS. We try and tell management our concerns and they don't listen.
Management completely absent
Management takes sides, allowing some staff to engage in certain behaviours while getting others in trouble for the same thing.

No room for growth

Rapidly changing policies not shared with clinicians until an unknown violation of the policy occurs clients end up suffering because of it
I worked here briefly and couldn't leave soon enough. The Guelph office is disorganized. The call centre staff have a Bachelor's degree and working for 17/hr. The turnover is high and everyone seems cranky. The Montreal office is equally ridiculous. Vancouver seemed nice and wished the culture there was reflected at the other locations. For a company whose goal is to help people it's ironic how toxic it is
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homewood Health. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9