Homewood Health

Homewood Health Employee Reviews

The culture among nurses here is wonderful compared to other jobs I've had. It's a fast-paced environment and nurses work together to get things done and help each other out. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Tons of shifts to pick up on all units of the hospital.
Pros
Lots of available OT, positive environment
Cons
Poor communication from management, poor work-life balance, loss of some technical nursing skills
I joined in April 2020, just at the onset of the pandemic. I've been working from home since my first day. I love working for this company and I would recommend this to anyone. My manager is supportive and I'm lucky to have a wonderful team.
Pros
work from home, saves fuel and time
Cons
nothing
Great place to work, pay is great compared to a lot of other places. Co-workers and supervisors are very co-operative and there is good communication. Management however is very absent. When you bring forward an issue, they do nothing about it. This has not affected my job very much but it could negatively impact others.
Pros
Pay, shift availability, work environment
Cons
Absent management
As a housekeeper at the Homewood my days are always interesting. To work in housekeeping, you need to have energy and an eye for detail. Fast paced but also rewarding.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Running short staffed
Homewood used to be the place to be. I loved working there up until the pandemic. You constantly work short and upper management will refuse to allow premium pay to fill the shift. A lot of staff are constantly being reassigned to work on other units without training. Homewood will throw any staff member ( who is not upper management) under the bus to prevent tarnishing their reputation. There is no work-life balance and full time staff are expected to work 7 8hr shift in a row as part of their regular line. When the charge nurse has called the administrator on call with staffing concerns they are rude and condescending. Lots of staff turn over right now.
Pros
Pays the bills, good co-workers
Cons
Unaafe staffing, insensitive and condescending upper management
Great co workers, horrible management. Employees concerns are ignored and zero support from managers. Units often run short staffed. Staff are left to work in unsafe environments and are extremely under appreciated.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Horrible management
Typical day: Boring, events rarely happen.What I learned: Nothing productive, only that there is poor management and no communication plus it is a toxic workplace.Management: If I could rate less than 1 star, I would rate -5 out of 5. No communication, if you do your job you will be punished if someone complains. Management sides with client 100% of the time and will not listen to your perspective. If you make the most minor mistake (ex: 1 minute late from returning to break because you needed to wash hands, you will be reprimanded). Management also goes against their word and previous agreements, written and verbal.Workplace culture: Toxic, you will be looked down upon. Management are demeaning to you and will point out every little fault. Borderline criminal harassment. The employer wants brain-dead people who do not think for their work force. Anyone that can think for themselves and question things will have their employment terminated immediately for any reason that management can find.Hardest part of job: Trying to do your job according to policies, procedures, and LAW without being reprimanded. You are under a microscope every time you work. Regardless of whether you follow policy and law, if management does not like it, you will be written up.Most enjoyable part of the job: On site dining, but you have to pay for it.Wages: Poor, they claim to be above average in the industry... this may be true for SOME positions. Most of the money goes to management so they would rather pay less which means more for them to pocket.Overall, the employer has been found to be in - more...
Pros
On site dining, gym
Cons
Inconsistent management, no communication, you will be looked down upon, you will be punished for doing your job, Mentally ill clients are 100% right in everything under the eyes of management, corporate culture, toxic workplace, poor management, poor wages.
It was exciting to work for Homewood Health Centre in the beginning until Covid hit, they lacked major communication skills when it came to an outbreak. Being on any unit you will see the toxic, nurses are always looking miserable or working doubles or short staff. Homewood health centre doesn’t care for their staff, as they continue to work short when dealing with Mental Health. Homewood will hurt your mental health as an employee.
Pros
Some great co-workers
Cons
Toxic environment
The Homewood company (telephonic counselling) provides services for people across the country suffering from mental health issues. Sadly, navigating the lack of communication and support has revealed that the management of this division prevents, if not punishes, meaningful feedback, dialogue and engagement with qualified personnel. It is structurally and culturally dysfunctional. The work is meaningful but, as far as companies go, it is riddled with highly sensitive and unskilled managers when it comes to dealing with it's contractors. Feedback and, heaven forbid, constructive criticism, is punished. This ultimately diminishes the quality of staff and support it offers to clients which is, ultimately, tragic. There is no mechanism by which to seek help or support short of quitting the organization which leads to high turnover. As an example...there was a scheduling issue (lack of training) and the regional manager began complaining to upper management rather than being accountable, understanding or supportive. Quickly branded and therefore dread communicating with the very management in place to supposedly help. Very petty and unprofessional I have spoken with five other local therapists who also provide occasional clinical counselling for their telephonic and the same, dreadful, views are universally shared regarding the current management in place. Two others have already begun to separate from this branch of Homewood. Quite a shame really as the potential to help is certainly there. Given that they pay roughly 30-40% of a private practitioners normal hourly - more...
Pros
The clients.
Cons
Management, rigid, inflexible, petty and defensive
I was hired the Chef made great claims that he had menus, recipes, and that the kitchen was well run. My first day I could see none of this was true. Even after the center has been opened for a year the kitchen every day was kayos, different times while following the Chefs orders to use rotten ingredients or products that were not Food safe part of his efforts to be IN charge and IN control. Loud angry child like out bursts when small problems arose, kicking carts, slamming down pots and pans ,throwing things around ,cursing and swearing, If someone appeared tired as they were working the Chef made comments about them drinking too much because they are Aboriginal Natives ( racist comments) , ( this worker is a single mom, three kids, one grandchild she is raising, and she is busy in the community and tries to run a small home based business). I my opinion the person that chose the Chef for this facility either did not have any suitable applicants and took what was offered or did a very poor job interviewing the Chef.
Pros
You can always find a better job
Cons
lies, lies, lies.
Homewood has some very rich history and long standing employees which gives you a sense of stability. No matter what department you work in, you are valued and it is made clear that we all are a valuable part of making a difference in our patient’s lives. The campus is beautiful with nice walking trails, tennis, disc golf, basketball, and gardens. Wonderful place to go out and take a nice walk at break or enjoy your lunch outdoors.
Pros
Your contribution changes lives
Cons
Can be stressful
In my role at Homewood, I am faced with a unique and challenging opportunities on a regular basis. In order to optimize our response to these opportunities, I need to work collaboratively with a number of diverse stakeholders to reach a solution that benefits the most people. In the end, all of our work is done to provide a needed service to a highly disadvantaged population.
Pros
Meaningful work
Cons
Fast Paced Change
low pay, they claim they do a check what other places in area are paying then base a salary off of that. Looking for workers all the time , high turnaround for a reason. right from the stunned person that does the interview on... stay away
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
for someone who is older would be a perfect fit. Professional workplace, Located in the heart of downtown toronto and building is well kept with security.
Awesome company great place to work great collaboration with team members aleways willing to help wotrk form hoem with amamzing suoppport system greta company with greta repputation
The nursing staff is why I love my job, everyone there is helpful and wonderful! Homewood Health is fast paced environment, lots of hours can be picked up through out the hospitals.
Good place to work if you enjoy mental health nursing. I do not like mental health nursing, though I gave it a try as this is my first mental health job. I found a lot of the other nurses pretentious and just sit in the nursing station and make fun of the patients when it's fairly clear they themselves have never had any brushes with poor mental health and are able to make fun of this type of population. The company is poor at communication and are too lax in their rules with the patients. As for just mental health nursing in general: the patients can be rude and unappreciative.
I enjoy working at Homewood. It is very team oriented and there are opportunities to further your career and to develop more skills as you work there.
My homewood interview was a panel interview in which you are given a score, then placed where you would excel according to your score. I was asked questions regarding psychiatric scenario's, my actions, the mental health act, questions regarding communication, my strengths, weaknesses and legalities, signs and symptoms regarding knowledge about the dsm4. The homewood is a highly regarded, accredited psychiatric hospital that offers high incentives for staff to move forward such as their "dollars for scholars' program. Which gives staff interest free loans up to $5000 to advance in the workplace interest free and paid back deducted from your paycheck bi weekly which you don't notice at all.The management is fair, approachable and helpful. Very skilled programs, psychiatrists that have a higher rating of success than others in this setting. This is a positive workplace with so much room for advancement and learning, but also a positive place for the patients too. It is beautiful, meals are unbelievable and pts have the freedom of choice. I loved my job, even though it was difficult as I was their assessment officer which has emergency dr's at the ggh across the street who minimise and trivialise my skills. I was and had to be a strong advocate for the patients and also be assertive in my job or I would be bullied over by the guelph general er staff where I was only a collaborate assessment with recommendations rather than a psychiatrist, which was difficult to hear their criticism . However I am not a physician and kept that in perspective and in line. I was always safety first, - more...
Pros
Pt holistic care, World renowned dr's, Collaborative team, Medical addicts tx "caduceus", Continuing education, Respect, Gorgeous grounds, Communication.
Cons
Long hours, Ordering in staff amidst an epidemic, Stressful, Deterioration of pts due to non compliance. Expensive parking
I was employed at Homewood Health Centre for 5 years and it has become an extremely unhealthy and toxic environment to work in. Upper management has made a mockery of what used to be a great mental health and addictions facility. Employees are treated unfairly and often management disregards employees rights and responsibilities. I would NEVER recommend this facility to anyone.
good first job after graduation for the experience and reputation of the company on your resume. It's not a sustainable long term job with low pay around $16-17 an hour. Benefits are good for full-time staff with 3 weeks vacation. The stress of the difficult stories that clients share when they call to set up counselling can be difficult. Management tries to encourage a mentally healthy workplace but fall short. For a mental health company they need to do better for staff.
  1. Employee reviews