Homestead Land Holdings Limited Employee Reviews

Slave labour
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 August 2018
Homestead gives you an apartment to live in, then deducts the rent from your pay. If you live in a nice building your unit is nice. If you live in a not so nice building guess what? They don’t pay you enough money to save enough to pay first and last anywhere else so it is hard to leave the job. You are on duty 24/7. Dealing with stupid requests at 3am is not fun. I had a tenant I didn’t know come and knock on my door at 10 o’clock at night to open a jar of pickles for them. We covered other buildings every other weekend as part of our regular schedule. If the staff at those other buildings were stupid and lazy, your job got infinitely harder. At the end of the month, depending on the building or time of year, you may have as many as six apartments change hands. That means you have to clean up to 6 filthy dirty disgusting units, on top of your regular duties. They claim that they will send you extra staff to help, but they don’t. If you have a problem tenant, (there were meth heads at our building), be prepared for lots of late night shenanigans and dealing with the police constantly. Be prepared to be woken between midnight and dawn every night. Be prepared for miles of red tape and no help from head office. It took over seven months to remove these losers from our building, all the while getting death threats that no one else took seriously. You will be treated like dirt by tenants. You will be treated as a slave by the company. Many other reviews mention the staff Christmas party and summer picnic. If those things compensate you for the fact that you are literally chained  more... to your work even on your days off, then you have low standards. I worked three of my “off” weekends in a row, and when I mentioned it to my property manager I was told that I knew what I signed up for. I did not sign up to work two months with zero time off. They expect building managers to deal with move ins on their days off. If month end falls on your weekend off you will probably be working cleaning units that turn over. Some tenants just don’t move out until the last minute, but the company is too money hungry to not rent each unit the second it comes empty,( they are usually rented before they become empty), so you have no time at all to turn over a dirty unit. Month end is often very high pressure time. Your spouse may end up working in a rental office on the weekends you work, leaving one person to clean two buildings by themselves. Your reward for working your guts out for greedy people, with lazy people, to provide a nice clean place to live for some very nice people and a few bad apples, is extremely low pay and an apartment that you are taxed on as though they paid you your rent in cash. If you like working 24 hours a day for months on end for $500 or less take home every TWO WEEKS, then this job is for you. I worked hard every day for over a year, then my partner became injured and we were forced to quit. This job has incredibly high turnover and is tough on relationships. They dress it up to make it look good but it will crush your soul, and wreck your body.  less
Pros
This is slavery
Cons
You will be bled dry and discarded
Good, Better and Worst
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Im a previous employee of Homestead and the company it self is not bad the only problem is if you have bad Area Manager or PM that cuts off your supplies and they gonna expect you to do all the things with out any help and also one thing they don’t care of their staff if you get hurt and can’t work for a month they gonna for a way to force you to quit the job. Also the company outing sucks and if it’s understaff or some quit they gonna make you cover the job with no extra pay also Property Manager and staff come and go they don’t stay longer in the company if you can survive for a year its good for you but overall Homestead is not a place to be if you looking for career growth specially if you’re surrounded by this people. Im hoping the owner of homstead will see this and take action specially in Toronto area.
Pros
Rssp, Health Benefits, and you don’t need to travel
Cons
They said apartment is free but it’s not they gonna add up in your annual income, overwork less pay or less help
Overworked underpaid
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 May 2018
Working for homestead is where dreams go to die.

Superintendent and building manger positions will not advance, they like to get you settled at a site and never let you move.

Not as family friendly as they seem, pay half your rent while on maternity leave and the following year denied your contractual raise because you were off work having a baby.

Constantly asking for more work and more hours without support, month end turn over is endless with late nights spent in units that are trashed by previous tenants.

Do not get into this career path unless you are retiring and looking for the free apartment. Which by the way is a taxable benefit and you get nailed at tax time every year.

As building manager you hope your supers don't quit or be prepared to work 6+ months with no days or nights off while they attempt to find replacements.
Pros
Free apartment company events bonuses free cable
Cons
Long hours heavy work load late night calls
Terrible management
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2018
All they care about is money money money. Supertenants are ok, people get fired left right and center. A lot of management are trainees with no experience and act like big shots Homestead is a joke
Cons
Used to be a good company
BUILDING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 March 2018
The company has changed a lot over the last 3-4 years.

I learned a lot while working for the company. Management at Head Office is a joke. There is not any support from them when it comes to Health and Safety issues brought to their attention.

I used to like working for the company, but am now very glad I do not.
Poor management
In house Painter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 February 2018
I worked for this company for 2 years as a painter.As a painter you need to have a minivan or similar size .You are responsible to carry all the supplies to and from buildings Hamilton,Burlington,Oakville and surrounding area.Very low pay,one bonus at the end of year which is 40% tax on it.I've got $1000 bonus on check and i took home $600.very poor management .No one can advance or in other words they wont let anybody to step up the ladder.some building managers are very rude and mostly racists.
Pros
8h /day
Cons
Everything else.
Avoid at all costs.
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 January 2018
This company only cares about their wallet.

If they can cut cost by demoting you and cutting your salary, they will do it. They will tell you how much you mean to the company, but they don't mean it.

You're on call for 24/hr, you almost never get time off.

Head office only cares about head office and not the buildings they run.

They ignore staff requests.

They see everyone as expendable.

I have seen building managers demoted because they were "too tenant friendly"

I have seen some really good workers screwed over by this company. If you don't want a headache, skip this company.
Homestead Land Holdings Limited
Superintendent & Installer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 December 2017
Great team on the management and building staff environment. The salary was always comparable with other companies in the field. The benefits were of a high caliber and better than expected.
Pros
Apartment Provided
corporate play on words
Superintendent team (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2017
regular employees are great. no question there. room for advancement: NON EXISTANT. if you have great quality of workmanship and ask for the proper fair wage, they will route you out.

working for this profession and company is not as rewarding as what they play it out to be.

training: trained but a jack of all trades that has no professional history other than being a trainer.

wage: you work, they automatically play down your wage because they "provide" the apartment benefit. hardly a liveable wage!!! if you have debt, finance car agreement or any financial obligations - do not take this job - you will drown your self.

Job security: if you are a simpleton... great security... if you are a level minded forward thinker: no security.

work life balance - - work every other weekend... you get three days off and the following Wednesday.. then on for 2 weeks straight then get cussed out for getting groceries when one person needed to leave to get milk.

this job is not for families.
Pros
great for new comers to canada
Cons
everything about it.
Fun work environment
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 October 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is comments from the Tenants expressing how clean everything looks. Workplace culture is Team work and the difference that shows when everyone stays a team player

Want to know more about Homestead Land Holdings Limited?

Ask a question
Excellent and family oriented place to work
RESIDENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON14 July 2017
At Homestead land holdings you are treated like family and everyone cares about you. Your not just a employee but a team member of a great company. They go above and beyond to assist you with any concerns or problems that you may have.
Leaving due to bugs
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 June 2017
It was a nice building with nice tenants. There has been a bug issue ongoing for 6 months that isn't being dealt with and I cannot force anyone to call in a company to correct the issue, So I have to leave.
Pros
1 hour lunch, nice tenants
Cons
They allow bugs to stay, safety repairs ignored until forced.
Hi Expectation but no growth
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
Will have to check the building if everything was operational.
Follow with tenants request.
Follow with staff to make sure everyone done there job.
Follow and coordinate with contractor for any emergency or any project that was undergoing.
I have learned maintenance handyman job
The hardest part of the job was to deal with both tenants and management
Didn't have to drive or stuck in the traffic
could be better
BUILDING SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 May 2017
well first of all its a lot of work and like little help from the building managers by the end of your day u feel like doing anything so tired you feel for the amount of work and for example you dont like the job anymore and you want to move on to a better job its like almost impossible cuz u got to decide whether to have money to eat and pay bills or have enough money for the moving truck
Pros
the 2 bedroom they offer you
Cons
work overload, no help, little time to rest, pays is not that much
Good days... but mostly crappie
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 April 2017
I really thought it was going to be good.... but it's all about what the company can get out of you. They are so very short staffed but head office can't see why. Maybe if you guys took your head out of your bun you would see that you are killing the front line staff and you guys don't care. I have turned into a I didn't care about my job. 🙏 thanks for that
Pros
On the outside looks great
Cons
They will run you into the ground
The worst culture and environment I have ever seen
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 April 2017
I had the pleasure of working for Homestead as a property management trainee. This position. Has an extremely high turnover, especially in the London office. The management there purposely put it's worst employees under the management of management trainees and expect you to discipline them or write dozens of letters to HR and fire them.

I only got respect from the area manager after I fired a superintendent couple who had been working there for 5 years. The company culture is truly sick and twisted and I have nothing positive to share about my experience.
Pros
Cons
Mediocre pay, extremely ambiguous direction from management, demented work culture, completely broken work-life balance, terrible coworkers
Homestead is a big company across canada
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 March 2017
The company employs a lot of people across the country of Canada and some around the us possibly Florida.

Given the chance to work for them again i would probably take a position Other then Apt Bldg Manager
Pros
Great People Living in their Apt Bldgs
Cons
Lots of Petty requests in off hours
High volume work load and people skills required
SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 February 2017
Overall good company to work for and a structured environment. Always on duty as living within the environment. Must need people skills and enjoy working with various backgrounds and eccentricities.
Pros
free apartment
Cons
busy-always on duty
employee of homestead
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON23 December 2016
homestead does not treat their staff well even those work very hard. all care about money everyone is treated like a number.
Nice place to work
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 November 2016
Busy all the time, hard to separate work life balance but it is a must. Overall enjoyable environment if one can sustain a work and life balance. go for it :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Homestead Land Holdings Limited. Our community is ready to answer.