HomeStars

HomeStars Employee Reviews

Canada10 reviews
I've worked at HomeStars for over 5 years. I've experienced a lot of opportunity to be creative and learn new skills. The hours are flexible and it's easy to work from home once in a while. Since it's still a smaller company there are often a lot of changes, I love it but it's not for everyone. The group of people who work here are funny and genuine people, it makes it really easy to come to work.
This is the worst company I’ve ever worked for. Terrible management. Bully managers. Poor pay. Terrible. They are completely void of any proper organization and no one gets rewarded for good work. I quit after 1 year.
I was so excited when I started because I was told they wanted to be leaders and do exciting things. I quickly realized they were only wanting to keep status quo and just doing enough to keep their head above water. They did not want to hear or implement any innovative ideas and in today's market there are so many startups doing what Homestars does that they will quickly get left behind. The company environment is also very toxic and all employees are treated like children who can't be trusted with information. Departments don't know what is happening or what is in the works for development, everyone works in their own bubbles and I was told that 'we can't be trusted with sensitive information'. There is an inherent 'turn a blind eye' to sexist culture and toxicity, which is sad as the founder is a woman.
HomeStars is a mess right now. Our goal is to sell 8-10 new listings a month and generate about 25k in revenue. For this, you make a base salary of 35k (some get less) and you would make about $300 in commissions. We just got through the HomeStars Best of Awards for 2016 and this caused a whole other group of headaches. Our management decided to skip the 2015 HomeStars Best of Awards that should have been handed out and rename it 2016. This means to fill the gap they gave all the winners a badge they could use for 2015 as well. Not very trustworthy if you ask me but why would they? Clients still complain about how HomeStars has gone downhill since some major changes to the company that happened a few years back. They complain about this to the sales reps who really need to hit our targets so we don't get yelled at by managers. I would love to find another job in related marketing but a lot of the managers here have worked at competing companies and some of us have been told that people that leave HomeStars typically get a bad reference when employers call in to check on their work history with HomeStars.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
low pay, bad benefits, shady management
It is very hard to make anything more than your base salary here as a salesperson. You work hard to build up trust with the contractors and finally when they sign on and buy a subscription you have to hand them over to another team. It gets frustrating when that team then cannot service the contractor and they end up cancelling their paid listing and then you no longer get paid on them. The base salary is very low but since you get to work from home I guess it all balances out. Another benefit is that you can have this as a secondary job as long as your hit your sales numbers.
Cons
Micromanagement, hard to make a decent income
There are not many companies like this! HomeStars is progressive and innovative. They are dedicated to developing and changing the industry. HomeStars has really set the bar high for other employers out there.

HomeStars is in-tune with what employees dream of. Top management & execs maintain a perfect level of involvement to make sure that we have the support and tools, not just to do the job, but enjoy doing it. Transparency is key, everyone in the company knows the direction and how they help. I have the best work-life balance I have ever had!

This is a company that is going places, BIG PLACES! I am stoked to be apart of it!
Pros
Travel, Table Tennis, Target Incentives, Health & Wellness Benefits, Yearly Lake Front Retreat, Work From Home (some)
Been a part of the HomeStars team for almost two years now. It's a great company to work for. The company isn't satisfied with mediocrity, which can be demonstrated by the rapid growth it's seen over the past few years. With rapid growth comes opportunities to take on additional responsibilities and roles within the company. HomeStars provides a product and service that home improvement companies need, it's great to be able to sell and deliver a product that helps business owners build their business while the site helps homeowners find reputable contractors and suppliers for their projects around their home.
Pros
Work from home, fast paced dynamic environment, more than fair compensation, solid management support
Cons
Takes discipline to work from home
A typical sales-focused day starts with Coffee! Then you will go over a selection of companies that you are responsible for monitoring and help them improve their online reputation with one of the Homestars plans that fits them best. Your conversations with companies are based around the topics like their SEO goals,getting customer reviews, marketing opportunities and how their Homestars profile can improve/support all of these areas. I have learned an incredible amount about 100s of different trades and their day-to-day lives. Also how customers chose to hire them based on these influencing factors.
There are a few things that make this job challenging. Right now we are in the early stages of transitioning from our old CRM system to SalesForce. This had been a big hurdle so far but everyday gets better as we fully adapt to the functionality, capabilities and limitations it offers. Another challenge is working from home. If you aren't use to it in a sales position you need to have self discipline. It can also be challenging in terms of communication with other staff members because you are at the mercy of email and I.M. The good news is that Homestars just finished a renovation of their own and now have a modern, massive office space to accommodate its staff. So if you want a break from working from home there is a bight open concept space for you to work in downtown.(lunches are often provided!)

The most enjoyable experiences I have had to date are always the messages and calls I get from my clients who get their first new client from a referral from their Homestars
 - more...
Pros
Schedule flexibility
I can't comment on benefits and job security as I am a contractor for HomeStars, but I can tell you that I love this company! It allows me the flexibility to work part time from home most of the time and when I do go into the office, I get to work alongside an amazing group of fun and talented people that are passionate about HomeStars.
Pros
Free snacks, amazing people, fun environment!
Cons
Some people might not like that we are one of Canada's Fastest Growing Companies.
Homestars give a great work life balance. New business could be lots of growth
Pros
No micro managing
Cons
No at lot of support.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HomeStars?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at HomeStars. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9