Home Instead
Happiness score is 72 out of 100

Working at Home Instead: Employee Reviews

Canada261 reviews

Found 261 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,950 reviews

Okay workplace and nice clients

Overall I have always had a great experience working with many different clients. Lots of shift availability too and they are really flexible with your schedule and hours. However, I feel like they call and pester way too much. I am a student and I notice that I would get 3-4 calls at one time during class despite telling them I have class. I would prefer email or text message especially as busy person. However they regularly increase your wage (seems like every 3 months).

Rewarding meaningful work

Home Instead gives me the flexibility that I need for my day. There is no greater joy than being able to make a noticeable difference in the lives of those we serve. I appreciate that all of the clients I serve, are in the area that I live in. This makes a huge difference for home life balance. Management is always willing to help whenever they are needed and the office is a friendly place. The clients are wonderful and truly appreciate what is being done for them. Training is available to all staff, and some is mandatory. The pay is not very good, but the clients make up for it.

Pros

flexible shifts, close to home

Cons

low pay

Insights into Home Instead

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Toxic place to work

The staff are very rude and so are the owners. There is so much toxicity in that office. The staff change over is crazy. Very unorganized would be the statement of the day….

Good place

The company was really nice lots of valuable training but I worked for them in Nova Scotia where minimum wage is alot less. The company cares about you but if a client quits you lose hours.

Pros

Training

Cons

Pay

awful management lack of training

I was untrained and received very minimal information before being sent into clients homes. The management is rude and snarky and hard to communicate with. I do not feel the clients are safe and happy. Each client I worked with was very unhappy with the service that they were receiving from many random caregivers. I am happy to have left the company but I worry for the clients.

Very good experience and satisfied pay rate as well as experienced staff. Time flexibility and long duration shifts. Very nice to all caregivers and providing extra trainings for future.

mellow workplace

good workplace if you love seniors and helping others. You do a variety of tasks including cleaning for them and just hanging out with them. They are very flexible with the hours you can work, and they match you up with clients depending on both your personality and the clients.

Worst Home care company

This is by far the most unprofessional, unorganized company filled with the most uneducated staff. They hire you for full time. And give you next to no hours. They don’t train any of their staff on job. Just orientation policies. And expect staff to do exactly what they want and how they want it without being told. They do not communicate with staff and will never defend their staff. You are disposable to them, and they will take all your hours away without even a phone call.Don’t recommend working for them or hiring them . STAY AWAY

Pros

None.

Cons

Everything.

All talk

They tell you want you want to hear, but during the middle of COVID-19 they tried to make me go into a retirement home to see a client WITH OUT PROPER PPE, who had all the symptoms of the virus.

Pros

Cons

The Stratford office

Working for Home Instead no good

They only care about the money. Their clients are not the elderly. Their clients are the families of the elderly and the Home. A family member complained about me, but there was no investigation, and they didn't back me. What they did do is took all my hours and left me with no income. Refused to lay me off and had no grounds to fire me so let me sit. The receptionist/scheduler took me "You should do what another employee did find employment elsewhere."

Fine work and fine salary, Help to build and more learning experience to carry on the next career related to this job.

It's a good for extra income job, to build your experience and give more ideas to learned so you could used in the career you plan to your future job.

Flexible and negotiable, good fit for students doing part-time.

Friendly environment, various schedules to choose from. Salary is fair compared to the duties. The employer respects employees' preferences and choices. One good thing is if you are a student they put you on hold during school time, and once you finish you can move back to work right away.

Working for home instead was a good opportunity to get comfortable and grow my abilities to provide care I was trained to provide.

It's a good place to work pay is a little on the low end , 16/17 an hour depending what level of care is required. Even if your a certified p.s.w you don't make more and that is a down fall. No benifits . Office is friendly.

A good place to work

There is room for growth; management is very understanding and willing to help, and there is a Job-life balance.But, they need to improve on their pay. Home Instead is one agency that pays their PSW and caregivers low. It's not suitable for their image. Even at this, they sure have competent workers and a competent management team.

Solid workplace, Lack of consistency can sometimes feel out of place

Overall solid place to work. Top notch staff. The working environments and conditions could be better. You really do not feel like you're contributing much besides being a nuisance to the care homes you provide service for.

Very helpful Management

I love working for Home instead they call and see how your day is going they treat u with respect if u have a problem they help u and make sure it is solved

Official response from Home Instead

20 April 2022
Thank you for your review of your experience with this Home Instead franchise office. Keep up the good work!

An exciting company to work for

The run treats staff as family members The management staff does things with unimaginable courtesy Am so proud to be working for the company. The name of the company once helped me wriggle out of some difficulties

Pros

Sully Bucks for extra shifts

Cons

As many hours as one can do

Not worth your time

The management team is unprofessional and not educated to be in the positions they are in. They will give you shifts and then cut your shifts without notice and lie to you when you ask why? Your co-workers are not team players. Terrible place to work. I wouldn't waste my time applying here, you will question yourself later if you do.

Pros

No pros to this job

Cons

Always short staffed and asking you to do double shifts, The long term care homes you work at will treat you like you don't matter, you will be lucky to get a lunch break, no benefits, low wage for the work you do.

Official response from Home Instead

20 April 2022
Thank you for your review of this Home Instead franchise office. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience with this office. If you would like to provide more details about your experience with this office, please feel free to contact Toni Schmitt/Tim Mudgett, Brand Advocate and Ombudsman, at 888-484-5759.

Fulfilling and enjoyable

I've enjoyed my time at Home Instead. They pay above minimum wage and I was offered a position immediately after the interview process. I wish I was paid more/had benefits but it's nice for now. I don't think there's room for advancement. However, I feel secure and there's plenty of shifts to pick up considering the nature of people's health. Some clients are challenging and others are very easy going.

Worst job I have ever had

The pay was not enough for the job they gave 1 4 hour class of training and I was told I would not be put on any advanced cases without proper training. My very first client was physically aggressive and I was one person doing the job of to in order to assist with daily tasks. I had bruises and broken property which was not addressed nor covered by this company. I would reach out for assistance and the management would look into it and never ended up getting back to me. In the end the stress and physical harm from the job was too much so I took and mental health break informing the company I would be back with a doctors note. I was then removed of my duties after being away on medical leave.

Not enough work for me.

Loved the little work I had but there wasn’t enough work for me. Would have love more work. More training is possibly needed. Would love to work with th again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Instead. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement