Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews

good workplace
CAREGIVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2018
great job experience.
excellent job support.
training and update knowledge.
supportive manager and staff.
get salaries on time .
enhanced companionship experience.
quick response staff.
A great place to start as a Caregiver
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 April 2018
Every client has been a different experience with different needs and I've enjoyed my work with Home Instead. The management has been excellent and has been over the top as far as giving support and helping me with scheduling difficulties due to a recent move. The workplace culture is very positive and I would say the hardest part of the job has been long distance rush-hours. I've enjoyed the variety of clients and work expectations along with the chance to work a variety of different shifts.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Some clients living a distance away
A great place to work with flexible hours and super nice people
Home care worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 April 2018
While working with Home Instead, I have met a lot of wonderful people through my clients, fellow co workers and management. With this job I am able to choose my own clients and thus being able to set my own hours. I find working with my clients very rewarding and enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Not very steady hours
Productive and fun place to work.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
Able to let me enhance my skills in taking good care of patients. the management is able to find me a suitable patient for me which work out really great. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my client verbalized how lucky and thankful they are to have me as their caregiver.
Fast paced environment and can be very rewarding work
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC12 March 2018
Home Instead is a non-medical home support company that specializes in senior care. It is a 24 hour company with a never ending need for client services to keep someone living independently at home for as long as possible. A great benefit to working with the company as a caregiver is you can join the team with zero experience or have many years of industry related knowledge. They provide all the training you need and pay you for your time. A less desirable factor to the job is compensation either as a care aide or an office admin. For the most expensive home support company, is it discouraging to see the company pay on par with what the market bares. They take a lot of pride on being a provider of choice and it would be great to see them recruit the best of the best by ensuring they are compensated above what the going rate it is in the industry. The work place culture is of a personal home-style feeling; warm and welcoming. It was discouraging to watch a revolving door of office managers come and go with a bumpy transition for clients and caregivers. The most enjoyable part to the job would be the rewarding impact you can make on a client and/or their families lives.
Pros
Home style office atmosphere ; rewarding work ; flexible hours ; training provided ; benefits
Cons
Casual hours ; turnover ; lack of communication
grumpy people
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 March 2018
This company has a very poor system of communicating with employees, if you try to work for this company, you will regret it. They will make you feel sorry you say no.
Fun and flexible
Care Giver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2018
Home Instead Senior Care is extremely accommodating and flexible with schedules. They do an excellent job of training and preparing employees for the many different types of clients they will experience and are always on hand to offer additional support when needed.
Excellent place of work
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON7 February 2018
Would work here any day, Management was great, Lots of hours. The scheduling staff were very accommodating. The clients were very well planned out. Loved this job
good place
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 February 2018
Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
Advertisements, "spam" content, or references to other companies, offers, or websites
Email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, physical addresses, or other forms of contact information
Critical or spiteful comments on other reviews posted on the page or their authors
Allegations of illegal activity — this is not a forum for reporting crimes
Pros
free gaz
Cons
more hours
Great Management
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 January 2018
The staff is very friendly and understanding and the work dynamic is amazing. However, their pay is minimum wage which is quite low for a PSW. Great place to work for though overall.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
low pay
Caregiver/Companion (Former Employee) –  Victorville, Ca1 January 2018
I loved that Home Instead was always available if I needed help while working a shift. Trainings were offered to help staff become the best caregiver one could be.
Pros
Staff support
Cons
Minimum shifts
Enjoyed working with the clients
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2017
They offer on going education, the clients were great, pay seemed fair, office staff was great and understanding, you can work as many or as little hours as you would like.
Good Company
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2017
Meet and greet resident at home, hospital, or retirement facility, Assist with care,light housekeeping,cooking, medication reminder,learn to deal with different personalities, report and document to my supervisor.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
limited hours
Sure
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 November 2017
Working with the elderly. Meal preps, assistance with house cleaning, taking to appointments when needed. It was great getting to know the people I helped.
great place to work
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON20 October 2017
i meet the needs of clients whether it is companionship feeding walking or personal care. i have learned everyone has a story to tell about who they are and their life history and i respect that we are all
human beings who deserve equality in life. the hardest part of the job is the uncertainity of reliable hours and the most enjoyable part is meeting people from every walk of life.
Pros
you choose your availability
Cons
hours of employment can change daily
Average in regards to Administration.
Senior Caregiver (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC8 October 2017
The best part of this job, is to be able to make a Senior's life, lighter and brighter with quality company and help.
The hardest part is, to get cought up in house cleaning tasks instead of spending one on one time with the Senior. Also, having to leave knowing that there's no one else from the family coming to visit them.
Pros
Cover me when I need time away.
Cons
Very low Salary, no benefits, maid tasks.
Steady growing company
Home Support Worker and caregiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 September 2017
Continuously hires caregivers to meet the demands of its increasing number of clients. Organized system for work schedules, payroll. Office staff and supervisors are approachable and accommodating. Has a wide network for available resources in the community. Is socially responsible and actively supports projects for seniors and other health causes.
Pros
Paid seminars
Cons
No vacation and sickness paid leaves for caregivers
they like to make it seam like its a family business
Office Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 August 2017
They only look out for themselves went into the job not being trained, thrown in and it was sink or swim.

Once I had set up everything and organized their office which was a mess they didn't have a use to keep that position open. (I'm still on their corporate website cause they don't know how to change it)
Pros
hours
Cons
no on the job training
Management and office is HORRIBLE and unorganized
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 June 2017
office staff doesn't seem to care. Money is what is important. so they will just do what they have to, good or not to keep clients. caregivers have been asked to work privately by clients because they don't like management. Caregivers have an extreme risk of caregiver burnout, because we get calls all the time to work even when we have said we cant because of being over worked..but that doesn't seem to matter. sometimes, after we have said no to the scheduler, the boss will call and ask so we feel bullied. But the whole part of this job is that we are supposed to be allowed to accept clients or not, and many of us cant take jobs at the last minute. Then I feel we get penalized if we say no. and we can lose hours because of it.

There is very little training. I was put out into my first client without even having an orientation or anyone to come with me. It was months before that even happened, Pays get messed up, alot! Then caregivers have to come in to the office and ask for it to be fixed. The boss/ owner doesn't seem to have time for the caregivers. The scheduler seems to pick favorites, so our hrs can be just taken away or given at her whim. If we call in to discuss a client, it doesn't seem to go anywhere. There is no follow up.
There is a lot of turnover, not only in caregivers, which is VERY high. But in the office staff too. It just seems chaotic.

The best part of the job is the clients. I love helping them, and spending time with all my clients.

The pay is not very good. If you want to work here, you cannot rely on the money.

If you want hours, you
  more... really have to be available 24/7 and on call. which makes it difficult to have a life outside that.  less
Pros
clients
Cons
to many to list.
Demanding Job with High Pay Offs
Director of Client Care (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 June 2017
I have been working for the Mississauga and Etobicoke offices for several years now and it is unquestionably the best organization that I have ever worked for.

This is definitely a demanding job and the environment is fast-paced. At times it is stressful dealing with the very emotional needs of clients and a heavy work load, but you come out at the end feeling great about the contribution that you have made and the impact that it has on the families that you support. At the same time, I am grateful to work along side of individuals that share that same passion and commitment, who always support me.

The owners of these franchises are very invested in their employees. I, like many, have benefited from their continued support, mentoring and the opportunity for career growth. Besides my own movement within the organization, we have had CAREGivers advance their skill set from free education that is provided regularly, some have been promoted into operational roles within the organization and then there are office coordinators that have now have reached Manager and Director roles.

The intrinsic rewards of this job are exponential and monetarily we are equally compensated. Staff have also been rewarded with bonuses, quarterly incentives, monthly movie nights, trips, dinners and list goes on and on.

At first, all of this was unbelievable. I thought that this was the “honeymoon phase” and I would get a better perspective on the business months into it, but six great years later and I happy and hoping to be a “lifer”.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Instead Senior Care. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K