Home Hardware

Home Hardware Employee Reviews

Team was dysfunctional

I worked on a team that was dysfunctional. The manager played favourites and refused to manage the team. Flex time was unevenly enforced. We were working on an unsupported platform with little to no buy in from key stakeholders.

Pros

Subsidized cafeteria

Cons

Bad Management

Don’t expect too much, set the bar really low.

Wage is at minimum, with a raise every couple of years, maybe according to long time employees. Work and home balance are not considered. Staffing levels are far lower than they should be due to poor employee retention measures. In fact there aren’t any. People with years of service and experience are simply let go with no discussion about what the company can do to keep a valued employee. Computer programs are out of date and are often inaccurate regarding stock levels requiring a physical search for an item. On line systems are no better, with inaccurate counts again due to an antiquated system. The owner has not invested in current technology to keep pace with today’s sales demands, this makes the sales staff and indeed the company in general look like hey have no idea how to treat people or run a business. Safety concerns are brushed off with little to no regard to any provincial safety guidelines. Meetings are not to standard, fire equipment is out of date, safety measures for staff are woefully lacking and training is an afterthought. Concerns raised with management go unanswered for months on end. Bottom line is greed and profit.

Pros

Employees are nice people.

Cons

Hours, pay, conditions, safety, lack of communication

Good atmosphere

For the majority it has a fun bunch to work with and management is awesome. They are like a big family group that you work with and management is very easy to talk to if there is an issue

Fair to work, too many family members working there

Family or friends of supervisors believe they can get away without doing there job, because they have an out, when a supervisor tells an employee to be nice to the new one, because I don't want to deal with her grandmother who is a supervisor ,then that tells you management has not any manager skills

Pros

Local employment

Cons

Learn to say no when employee is expected to pick up items to stock the salad bar, or work short when no one is availabe

would not recommend

i’ve been an employee there for a while now, and i find it very hard to work there. shifts are long, especially for being in school, and you only get little to none breaks. management is horrible, and shifts take forever because there’s not much to do. if you prefer a fast pace work environment, i do NOT suggest working here.

Pros

discount for everything

Cons

long hours, sexist, no appreciation towards workers

A great family atmosphere

You are working with people who all become good friends. Your supervisor are very easy to talk to. You enjoy lots of fun activities as a group, including one outside of work.

Pros

BarBQs, group events, store discounts

Cons

Repeatedly involved heavy lifting, but that was part of the job I signed up for.

Supportive Work environment

Because of some typical life circumstances reason, I had to move to the city of Winnipeg, I still wish if the home hardware is here in Winnipeg. The ethics and rules on which the store policies ae based make it unique then most of the work places.

Pros

extreme care

Bad management

Bad place to work. High turn over rate. Noone ever knows what is going on. Bad management. Poor ordering and warehouse management. Not enough staff. Would not reccomend.

Pros

Family oriented. Flexible.

Cons

Bad managers.

Environnement de travail

J’ai travailler dans le département de peinture et cela me semblait compliqué mais après une formation toute était plus simple ces certains que tu en apprends tout les jours. Les employés sont incroyable la dynamique est vraiment sympathique. Sens parler des gèrent et des grand bose qui sont agréables à parler.

Pros

3 mois de travail tu a un rabais

Nice good Clem environment to bed in. Helpful and happy employees, with great attitudes, to help any customer.

Everyone was willing to help me. Every single employee that pasted me made sure I wasn't lost. Was awesome to see how clean the store was. I would like to see more options in the drywall section. But, supply and demand I guess.

Pros

Very clean store with respectable attitudes

Cons

They are only open Sundays, for 5 hours....

Lack of management and no real work structure

I worked at Rocky Mountain House Home Hardware for roughly one and a half year. The people working there were alright, liked some more than others but that's how she goes. The only bad thing I have to say about working there is the complete lack of management and the lower than low hiring requirements ( to put to plainly if you have a pulse they will hire you ). And the owner of that place definitely makes it more stressful than it needs to be.

Pros

1 hour lunch break

Cons

Lack of management

Not to bad of a place to work at.

Not a bad place to work at. Except there are a lot of staff that work there that are kids that are friends of the owners. So they do not like to work. They think they have a free ride and pay check.

Pros

Great adult staff

Cons

To many lazy kids

Staff was awesome and made the job fun. The pay is standard for similar jobs. The biggest drawback is that they bring staff on as part-time so they don’t have to give them benefits, then give them full-time hours. They do this by giving them 1 hour lunch breaks so they’re not clocking in the full 8 hours. The breaks ARE nice but, then again, so is dental.

Pros

Staff, good hours, long breaks, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Low pay, long breaks, management could do a better job listening to their employees

It was a nice place to work

I enjoyed my time there they made me feel like an important member of the team. They always worked with you if a family emergency arouse and you needed time off .

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Like anywhere else you go there is always too many people who feel they are in charge .

Not a serious workplace

No management. Absolutely no professionalism or any system to do quality control. Poorly paid and trained staff. No opportunity for growth in any ways excepting directly asking for a raise, which can be pretty stressful.

Pros

Good purchase discount

Cons

Unfair pay

Potential

With a better training system, new staff would excel at this job. Good benefits after 90 days.Potential to learn multiple positions over time. You really need some previous construction/hardware/plumbing knowledge.

Pros

Great customers

Cons

Older building, narrow isles

Learning experience and friendly workplace

It was an influential environment to work at, everyone helped each other per department when help was needed, customer service was easily given. I learned a very important sense of priority, time management, and efficiency. Difficulty of tasks did not feel to hard to complete, and putting stocks away or helping customer mix paint was always an enjoyable time.

Pros

Was never too busy

Cons

If was not doing a job, time felt longer

Do not recommend

Most of the people were kind and management was kind and personable but when I was consistently bullied by a coworker, I did not receive help after reaching out several times. I did not feel appreciated for how hard I worked and while people can be friendly, there was a lot of gossiping behind others' backs etc. I felt very mentally drained working here.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Work atmosphere

Very reserved environment

The work was very easy to do and easy for new beginners to understand. Although, working there as a whole brought me anxiety and anxiousness to the point where I didn’t feel like communicating with my fellow workers

Pros

Straight forward instructions & good employees

Cons

Very stale workplace

Fun and easy going (olds)

Loved working there always something to do, if I wasn’t at the till I was either in pets or helping in receiving, co-workers were awesome and encouraging, paid fairly for my work and very flexible if something came up or I needed a day switched it was never a problem. One of the jobs I actually miss and would recommend to anyone looking

Pros

Great staff, paid fairly, variety of work, good management

Productive environment

Overall a good company to work for, wages are fair and most of the coworkers are excellent to work with. If you have good work ethic it definitely will help you advance.

Pros

Good working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement