Home Hardware

Working at Home Hardware: Latest Home Hardware Reviews

Canada719 reviews

lumberstorepaintcustomerproductstockliftfriendly

Good Temporary Job

Management is inconsistent when it comes to store policies, don’t expect any raises or more than minimum wage. You’ll need to prioritize helping customers find what they need, and you’ll be required to do most of following (depending on your abilities): cash register operations, put stock away, work in various departments (like paint tinting, screen repairs, key cutting), receive stock and submit claims, e-commerce processing, forklift operations, order stock and update prices, place customer orders.The workers and a lot of regular customers are very nice, and the environment is usually relaxed since it’s dead most of the time. Really understaffed, so you often get called in when someone phones in sick, or when it’s busy you might find it difficult to attend to all of the customers. Hours are inconsistent and dependent on daily sales for the season. You’ll most likely be expected to have full availability given how few staff members are maintained.Overall, a good place to work at temporarily, I learned a lot and enjoyed my time, but it’s definitely not somewhere you’d like to stay forever.

Great work place

Great job , still there. Flexible hours allow for appointments and family. Customer base is pretty good. Management is easy to approach and just nice to work for. Good team iof employees I work with. I recommend this company for a person is geared towards positive customer service.

Pros

Flexible hours

Insights into Home Hardware

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

I had the best boss and work atmosphere was extremely respectful , friendly and fair to everyone.

I worked for the best boss in Rockland, Ontario and I will always be thankful. They always listen and value you as a person. They also value your personal life and work, make accommodations for you without hesitation.

Staff were always nice and supportive

Wish that they didn't push 9-hour shifts on trainees, as they worked alone on a holiday. When I first worked there, that was my main issue-- lack of coordinated breaks. Staff members were treated differently on age, as the younger ones never got breaks but the more senior employees got up to 3-hour breaks without notice. It bothered me as a trainee and as an official employee, because it was my first job and because we were so short-staffed-- a trainee was training another trainee.

Pros

Comfortable work, there was these cushion like mats for the till workers

Cons

Short staffed

Wonderful company

This was a great company to work for because the owners put the right people in place to operate the store. Coupled with great staff this place was one of my favourite by far.

Good retail job

Good coworkers. The health benefits are pretty good. The pay could definitely be better. Head office has lots of helpful people when it is needed. Pretty good place to work

An awful place to work.

If you have any mental issue of any kind, they will pretend to care. I was sitting in the warehouse area, trying to calm myself down before i had an anxiety attack, but apparently that is enough to be let go.

Cons

Hypocritical management.

Shipping recieving work in site and ware house

Base on my experiences to work at home hardware in lloydminster AB.as shipping reciever its really good because my employer are nice and good.and friendly the managements and staff also are friendly.if I have a chance to work and return back to canada i choice to work at home hardware again because a lot of learning and teaching how to deal and approach the customers. thats all i love home hardware.

Decent people to work with on the day to day, lack of communication from upper management.

Fellow coworkers are wonderful. If it's not in writing it's not actually agreed to. Get everything in writing before you agree to anything. Even then it could change. Lack of communication from upper management is astonishing.

Pros

Slight discount on products depending on the product.

Cons

Long hours, poorly run, no support from upper management/owner, no communication from the top.

Interesting place to work many different tasks to learn. Pay is ok and includes bonuses quite regularly. Clean for the most part.

Over 28 years I learned and performed at least 20 different jobs. Management is different since I retired. Good crew of workers. Recommend for permanent employment. Very stable no hint of layoff. 4 day work week.

Horrible place to work at no sympathy!

If you have ANY health problems (especially asthma) I do not recommend working at the Haliburton location as they don’t care about them and you will be penalized for having them!

Allworkplace culture

Love meet new people and work for a good company.Will to go the extra mile if needed. The management there was very nice. Everyone that work there is was always treated with respect,in the work place in the company up there in the North. The Pas MB.

Manager is not management material.

Worked for years to get no raise and have people who hide in the back or upstairs get more recognition. Understaffed, can call 3 to 4 times for price changes while customers stand there getting mad, then get told that someone complained they waited a long time when its managements fault. Doesn't want to pay overtime and complains about no staff but continues to hire people that quit as soon as they realize that they're not getting what was promised when they were hired. No advancement, no chance at becoming a supervisor/manager as they would rather hire new people from outside instead of hiring people internally to fill open positions.

Great working environment! Always something to learn and improve on working there!

Great place to improve customer service skills, further your knowledge of company computer programs, work in different sections of the store, advance in the know how of different areas ie plumbing/electrical/hardware and improve cashier abilities. Overall great place to work, slow paced keeps the day feeling long but your colleagues definitely make the day far more tolerable

Productive Workplace, Poorly Managed

In-store staff seems to have a lot of power, and there is very little respect for departmental boundaries. Quite rude to deal with internally, though extremely polite and helpful with customers

Pros

Hour long lunch

Cons

Favoritism, poor management

Not a fun place to work

Morale very low. Supervisors assistant store manager very rude and disrespectful . You are expected to know every department depending on the person though. Always pushed to the max until you are burnt out no appreciation for the employees

Pros

Cons

Expected to do everything

Good to work for

I learned many new skills that I will take with me. The people are friendly and the Customers make your day. Great Job if you are interested in helping people out.

Pros

The Customers

Cons

No room for advancement

A great minimum wage job, staff is friendly and kind, family environment. Nicest bosses and store owners I have ever had. Job can be a little boring, don't love the store hours either but it is fine.

Stressful poorly managed place to work

I was often stressed out and the management was very poor. The other workers were fun and I made lots of new friends. If the management was better I would definitely recommend working there.

Hated working here

toxic environment management doesn't care about his workers trys screwing customers over horrible people at a unprofessional unfair horrible place never work here horrible disrespectful pathetic employers and company

Great staff/coworkers, the owner is amazing

The boss and Co workers are easy to get along with which is fantastic when you spend a good chunk of your time at your job. I enjoyed going to work, built good relationships with customers and staff. Different job opportunities available, courses and training for a variety of positions available. All around is a great place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement