Home Hardware

Home Hardware Employee Reviews

I worked there for quite a bit and the job was good but sometimes you don't feel appreciated for all hard work. Also your pretty much stuck at the minimum wage but are taught more than 14 dollars an hour requires. Besides that the work place is a nice environment and easy to get assistance from the manager and other associates.
Pros
You get taught a lot
Cons
No chance of pay increase
A bit of old boys' club at the start. It takes a while to become part of the gang as the same group has been there awhile. The Manager is a good guy, and tries to raise morale. It is seasonally busy, but some great staff to work with. Head Office policy is that part-time staff do not receive a discount which is unfair as most part-timers worked just as hard, if not harder than the full time.
Pros
Approachable manager, some great co-workers
Cons
No discounts or benefits for part-time staff.
If you want a part time job, with minimum hours, low pay, no communication, and outrageous expectations this is the place to be. As someone how has many years of management experience in was expected to manage self, departments (never consistent on which), and staff for minimum wage pay. The boss had little to no communication with staff. Constant turn over of staff. No proper training protocol, so every employee was trained differently and not trained efficiently. Lunches clocked by the minute, so if you are 30 seconds late you loose 15minutes of pay
Pros
Great customers
Understanding management who don't grind you too hard unless you slack off, work ethic is expected but management understands that relaxing for a couple minutes here and there is a necessity when it comes to physically labouring jobs.
It wasn’t a bad job from the start but now that I need full time I have to go somewhere else. Coworkers are the best usually, lots of unnecessary drama.
Pros
Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Management doesn’t listen half the time and customers are nasty
Some of the benefits: job security, good wages, great benefits pkg, annual bonus, pension option, cafeteria onsite that is very inexpensive, people are very friendly, lots of activities/draws/contests.
Had good time working there got along with the staff ok helping the customers was very easy allowing task and getting done on time was easy too I had good relations with the manger
Pay sucks. Boss was disrespectful. Never encouraging regardless of how hard you work. Full breaks were never guaranteed. If we were busy we had to work through our breaks as there were never enough employees around.
Pros
I got good hours
Cons
Pay sucks
The manager at my location was very difficult to work for, often screaming abusively over the phone. She gave little direction about the work, and didn't have prices on a lot of items. She expected unpaid overtime. A lot of items couldn't scan through the till. The toilets were always dirty, the lunchroom was small, dark and dirty. It was really the poorest situation I have ever worked in. All the Home Hardwares are individually owned, so this shouldn't really reflect on the brand, rather on the owner of this particular store.
Pros
fun customer service
Cons
poor management
I would not recommend this job to anyone that wants to feel appreciated at work. Hours are all over the place with no real schedule from week to week. I worked here full time for more than a year and still only got paid $14.00 per hour. Repeatedly have to carry house loads of drywall 200 + sheets to main floor upstairs to second floor/Attic and downstairs to basement. Would not recommend this job to anyone that has any sort of self worth.
Pros
Free pizza on weekends if you don't stop for lunch
Cons
Hard work, bad schedule, under staffed, poor management
This place was great to work st. The people were all very friendly and ready to help if needed. The pace was great and the work was fun. I'd recommend this place to people
Love being part of Home Hardware Each store is independently owned And our store is amazing!! Great community spirit Our customers love the individual attention they receive We provide superb customer service so our customers are very brand and store loyal
Pros
Amazing team. Great product support. Owners feel like family. Small town feeling customers love.
Cons
Minimum wage does not reflect the responsibility and hard physical work
Manager has no clue. Promised 25 to 30 hours a week and got 12. Manager ignores customers and hides whenever he can. Staff are a always hired and leave right away. Manager lies through his teeth. Would not recommend this place to work. Manager gets mad at you he cuts your hours to nothing instead of telling you what you did wrong. This place has a revolving door with workers for a good reason
Would never work for them again. Well I worked for them they were discriminatory and heard lots of racist/sexist remarks. Enforced sexist roles, Women were cashiers, Men worked in lumberyard, Electrical, Plumbing. I get treated better now that I work in construction then I did there. That says a lot.
Pros
Haha there was none
Cons
Sexist racist discriminatory terrible management
I worked as an associate for around a year and a half. Working in a place where the owner is there almost every day is super helpful and made it easier to get the job done. Enjoyed basically everyone I worked with as well. Had a lot of different responsibilities including receiving product and working in the small warehouse. Customers were usually good, not a whole lot of issues, only left for better opportunity.
Pros
Management, job consistency, great discount
Cons
Didn't see advancement opportunities, pay is alright
Pretty good. I work mainly inside the store. The truck mainly comes once a week and we put product away. The employees I work with are pretty good too.
Pros
hour lunch
Learn basics of tools and hardware found in trades. As well learning to work with others in stressful situations at times. Also learn how to mix paint.
Pros
Learn about tools and hardware
Cons
No cons
Small town place, everyone knows each other, if you're not from town it can be challenging to build a relationship with your coworkers and with customers.
Pros
Laid back; slow paced, management is great
Cons
Unprofessional supervisors
Poor Management, no local HR, back stabbing co workers, poor communication, poor training and leadership. A bunch of individuals that do not work together very well as a team.
This Company is Privately owned and the wife runs the business . A topical day consists of serving customers and cleaning. They will promise you all kinds of things to get you to work there and not keep any of them. Staff goes years with out raises and if you ask for one you get told no and if you don't like it you can find another job.
Great staff, management not so much. Not a very well run location I worked at, but others are much better I have heard. Good for someone starting out in the field