Home Depot Canada
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Home Depot Canada Employee Reviews

Found 3,222 reviews matching the search
This used to be an amazing place to work, but it has turned into an absolute dumpster fire. They talk a big game of caring about the workers, but in reality it is only words because when push comes to shove....they allow customers to treat you like trash.This company cares about money, much like every other business, however, this one makes you wear their lies about caring about you on your apron. My experiences with people inside the store and running the store is positive. They're stressed out and over worked, running around fulfilling demands of the people who sit in nice offices. It is the higher ups that make the rules that are making this a bad place to work. They continue to roll out new initiatives and don't hire on more staff to help with it. They don't give departments enough hours to meet customer demands and still expect us to deliver amazing customer service. It isn't possible. This company is making record levels of income, and yet they can't increase the hours of the departments so that we can have enough staff to not be burnt out. In return customers are mad, frustrated and take it out on people who aren't any happier about the situation than they are.I would love to send letters to the people that run the Canada stores and tell them how they're literally killing us but it would only result in me losing a job I need to look after my family. I hate hearing about how much they care about employees - start showing us.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too many to list
Company offers good growth for competitive associates, but the promotions are not very transparent. Favouritism is little too much in stores. 90% career progression limits till department supervisor, you'll have to play politics and create a lobby to get promoted. internal award for good work- Homer award is misused by some supervisors. But company had excellent safety and training policy. Very stable job, they won't lay off come what may.
Pros
Career start, good branding of the company
Cons
slow and limited growth, internal store politics
The managers and supervisors expect you to do back breaking work all day long for minimum wage. They constantly changed how things are done and expect you to figure it out on your own.
Pros
Optional hour lunches
Cons
Management is a mess
Workplace is very supportive and positive. The cultures is do what is right. For employees for customers for everyone. It really is very fulfilling in that sense. Feel underpaid for my position based on responsibility, and similar roles in similar companies.
What can I say? If your face is appealing to your ASM's you'll be in with the clique. If not, you'll be constantly harassed with negative feedback, however there are a couple of good managers who actually talk to you like an intelligent human. I have found that there are a lot of employees who really shouldn't be there. And there are a lot of employees who work extremely hard without recognition. Overall is not a terrible place to work if know how to navigate authoritative egos.
Pros
You can meet some nice people, sometimes your boss will buy you coffee
Cons
Extreme physical labor at times. Unrealistic work expectations. Do as i say not as i do mentality.
Good people managers never listen to employees covid was given many days off if necessary. Employees are moved from their skilled departments to much.
It’s a great place to work. I’ve been with the company for 6 years and I’ve been fairly happy with my job. It has great work/life balance and flexibility with scheduling, good opportunities for both vertical and lateral growth, and a fairly decent pay rate. The work environment is pretty diverse and it’s a welcoming environment overall. The management can be very hit or miss though, it depends a lot on who’s working at your location. Some managers have a great sense of team spirit and genuinely encourage the associates, others I can feel a disconnect between us. When it’s good it’s really good, I feel respected and I want to grow within the company. But when you get a bad set of managers it feels like nothing gets done or they’re playing obvious favourites and it’s disheartening. The associates are great though, I’ve made genuine friends through this job and the work environment is made better due to the wonderful people I work with. They also offer health benefits for all associates working there, which I appreciate. There’s unfortunately no employee discount but you can usually figure out when the best sales are and take advantage of those. You also tend to get the usual struggles that come with retail jobs, and I’m not an overall fan of the long hours the store is open, especially that 7am opening time.
Pros
Flexible schedule, pay, work environment
Cons
Management, long hours
Home Depot has is a wonderful place to work. Everyone works together and strive for great customer satisfaction Maintain cleanliness and orangized when placing orders for pickup
You are definitely underpaid and overworked. The management team pick their favorites and they fo no wrong. The favorites then blame associates they don't like for anything that goes wrong. Even when I asked management to look at video cameras to show that I was not in the wrong they refused to do do. The store managers just sit in the office and never come to the floor. With the exception of when their bosses are in the store. I would not recommend Home Depot as your primary source of income. As a part time job it would be ok because you can leave when you want.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Management, supervisor's, are all brainwashed robots
Home Depot is honestly a good place to work. At my location I feel they treat their employees with respect and the management is good for the most part. I am a full time university student and they do recognize that and are as accommodating as I could hope for during exam times or even if I just have too much work to come I that day (as long as you don't make a habit out of it). They listen to their employees and I have only had a few minor problems in my year there so far. They are fair with breaks!!! that was a huge deal for me. they recognize if you've had a tough day and need a few extra minutes to calm down. The downsides to the job are that its retail so you do deal with some bad people and stressful situations, and for me personally, a hardware store doesn't interest me but if having an interest in the place you wrk doesn't bother you then I would recommend working here.
Pros
adequate break times, respectful, accomodating to students
Cons
on your feet all day, very active environment
Worst job I have ever had, never have been treated so poorly by a company, they don’t care about their employees and the hire ups have hidden agendas.
Pros
Weekends off good benifits
Cons
Horrible management, Favouritism, toxic work environment, crooked people also don’t train people and can’t move up
The place has a high turnover rate, and for good reason. Management is very unforgiving, and workplace culture is very polarized. Everyone is very clique-oriented, and if you become the wrong person's friend, others will go out of their way to make your job harder.It's a fine starter job for a student, but don't get yourself stuck there. It's a minimum wage job, and they expect more out of you than they're willing to do themselves.
Pros
A good starting place for your resume
Cons
Clique-y workplace culture, basically permanent minimum wage, near-impossible to move up within the company.
Non toxic place to work, most of the associates help you out. It is fast paced work my role was customer service orientated, Human Resources made it great!
My 7 years working for Home Depot Canada was a great pleasure. I started as a Lot Jocky part time. Two months later hired full time in Lumber and Building. Pay was more than minimum wage. Hours were consistent and the benefits also covered 100% of my medications and eyeglasses. Would recommend it to people who enjoy people and helping others. But like any job where you work face to face with the general public, you can’t please them all!
Pros
Play with the latest tools
Cons
Picky customers
Fast transition on positions, hard to get the jobs done every body have a issue back problem, untrusted people and lots of drama, and a lot of gossping.
Pros
Good benfits for par timers
Cons
Some are unpleasant to work
I completely feel taken care of. You get rewarded for all yoir sincere work rendered. They offer perks and rewards upon completing certain tasks. Large number of employees work together as a big family.
Pros
Rewards and awards upon accomplishments
Cons
Customers can be difficult to deal with at times.
The management was not that bad, chance to grow up are there, but there was some favoritism. the benefit is good the wages are fair compare to the market.
Pros
No free lunch but there is entertainment frequently which is good
Cons
regular hours and they pay overtime
I dread going into work. The upper managers do not care about the associates and are firm believers that everyone is expendable. Sales numbers are all that are discussed, and mental health, happiness, and personal goals are very rarely brought up. Benefits are great and the wage is.. about average for a retail job, but the other associates I worked with are why I stayed so long. If you're desperate for work, this is a place I would recommend until you find a better job.
Benefits
Cons
Gossip, higherups are careless
very repitiveyou learn something new every shift managment could be better . they wont let you work a second job and act like its such an inconvinience if you do. They will schedual you work times you are unable to work and tell you too bad.everyone is very friendly the customers treat you very poorly the people i worked with was the best part.
Pros
free food in lunch room, good staff
Cons
schedualing, cant ever get a hold of anyone when trying to call in sick
The Home Depot is a good place to work. Coworkers are nice and friendly. There was a great amount of team leadership. Management is professional and lead by example. respectful atmosphere , nice place to work
Pros
Good work
Cons
N/a
Helping customers find what they need. Once you are on the floor you learn that Home Depot owns you and your time. Not really flexible on time, as shifts created by computer. Managers are under stress and work strange hours too. Best part is staff very helpful and friendly, bad part no flexibility for hours and pay.
Pros
Get to see new product and great co workers.
Cons
Strange hours, dis regard requested time off
  1. Employee reviews