Holt Renfrew Employee Review

View all Holt Renfrew reviews

Don't be blinded by the pretty interior
Personal Shopping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2013
I was a personal shopping assistant at Holt Renfrew. I have to say I was very excited to be working for this company but now that I have worked there I do not see it in the same way.

Compared to other companies the one nice thing about my position was that I made $15.00 an hour. However, after working there and realizing how much work is involved and how under appreciated you are as well as how badly you are treated this is not enough compensation. Seeing a shopper (who may have made their assistant pull the clothes and just shown up for the appointment) make 10% commission on a sale anywhere from $5,000 - $25,000 in an appointment anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and a half was very disheartening. No, you do not get any commission. Working for someone who does half if not a quarter of the work and then seeing them make $2,500 while you make $15.00, sucks.

We would rarely get our lunch breaks. We were entitled to an hour a day but would be so busy that we wouldn't get the time to take it. To make up for this we would mark down that we had no lunches BUT would get lectured by our managers that we need to take our lunches. They would never speak to the actual personal shoppers and say "make sure your assistant is taking a lunch break." They made it our duty to say something, which for some people is uncomfortable when it can be busy.

All management cared about were sales. If you were making the company money they would treat you like gods, however, if you were in my position they were not friendly. They were constantly on our backs about every little thing.
  more... Holding meetings every so often with the personal shopper to let you know what you are doing WRONG and not showing appreciation for what you are doing RIGHT. The DVP would walk around and if you tried having a conversation with her all she would want to talk about were appointments and sales etc. She was not a friendly person and I honestly got the impression a lot of the staff were afraid of her. However, the VP was very friendly and you could always talk to him as an equal.

Overall, while this company has beautiful clothing and items it was awful to work for. Thank god I had a close relationship with the other assistants or else I would have hated going to work every day. I have never worked so hard in my life and felt so unappreciated. If I had been compensated higher I may not have minded so much. But being someone's unappreciated employee for $15.00 an hour was not worth it in my opinion.

Other Holt Renfrew Employee Reviews

Overall Experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2018
There could've been improvements and changes in teamwork.
There were issues with payroll.
Some of the employees were more helpful than others.
Management was really helpful and always kept an open door policy, and helped their employees.
The annual employee family BBQ is fun.
The Christmas party for employees family is great for children.
Pros
Discounts on store merchandise
Cons
Issues with pay roll
Beautiful office space
Planner Ladieswear and Outerwear (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2018
There was a lot of reports to pull and because it was a 'smaller' company there was no major brain/engine to aid in this situation.
They were committed to building a system/software to aid the planners but I did not have that while I was there.
Management was strong in the upper levels but my manager was not able to help me because she never used the systems we were all expected learn and use.
WE were given laptops so we could from home...not to take them so we could spend a day in the comfort of our own but so that we could work longer hours.
The discount is amazing and the physical space was beautiful.
There is coffee and tea and an event every so often which is amazing to blow off some steam and get to know your coworkers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holt Renfrew. Our community is ready to answer.