Holt Renfrew

Holt Renfrew Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Work environment is very toxic. Management is so poor and very unprofessional. Managers would always preach about customer service and say how customers are the king & queen but the minute we need help they turn their backs. Other department employees & top sellers would display arrogant & ignorant attitudes which was annoying.
Pros
discount
Cons
no support, poor management, cliques
There are many luxury brands within holt Renfrew that bring all types of people from all over the world to shop. I love the customers I meet and the long lasting relationships I have built. However, the management is not the greatest. I don’t feel like I can trust management and I also feel that they are not very supportive. They will tell you to do something, without being taught how to do it. I have seen associates get yelled at on the floor which creates a bad impression for other associates and customers. Also, I feel like they cater more towards a Chinese clientele.
Pros
Building customer relationships
Cons
Poor management
Working here I had a manipulative experience with members of my team and management. Initially they try very hard to boost your morale to make you feel like a part of the workplace, however that does not last. It then becomes very clear that unwarranted personal opinions have more weight than work ethic does. Therefore, trying to fit in or even get a chance at advancing solely relies on pandering to particular people, regardless of your skills. Issues like micro-management of tasks, trying to use newer staff as scapegoats for mistakes or difficult tasks, and the culture of defaulting to gossip behind people’s backs made it feel not worth working here for the meagre pay. Also, management is not professional, they will display blatant favouritism. Some staff members that are argumentative and disruptive to other workers and even customers will be praised regardless of what they do. It is unfortunate that these aspects can overshadow one’s experience and have more influence on one’s ability to advance in the company. I strongly believe that this company needs to examine certain staff more thoroughly to understand why they have high turnover rate.
Pros
Good staff discount, convenient location, flexible schedule
Cons
Poor work culture, lack of support, cliques
managers are nlot very supportive. staff are all commission driven so no coporate culture or incentives to work together in team environment. all very numbers driven so hard to get management to back you on anything .
Pros
discount on luxury goods
Cons
toxic culture
Like any other fashion department store job. The laid back working environment makes for a relatively easy place to come to work. The management will determine the quality of work.
I absolutely loved working for the company! my team was great and i couldn't have been happier with my role, magnet could improve as well as some of the computer software.
Friendly environment Making good money Intraction with different cultures and people Fair tasks Having good relationships with co workers and employers as well
Pros
Fari break time
Cons
Sometimes too quiet
Learned lots and great people but some times there is too much competition amongst staff and the senior staff are favored. The salary and benefits are very good if you are a good sales person.
- Unwilling to accommodate student needs (i.e. flexible hours) even though you work the minimum 20 hours/week. - Hostile work environment - Management racist/bias towards workers
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management unprofessional
I absolutely loved working at Holt Renfrew, we had great benefits and discounts, and most people I worked with were friendly. Even though it is a competitive sales environment, people are polite to one another, and there is rarely any conflict between co-workers (at least within the accessory department) There are also some rules to what one can and cannot sell, so the sales are fairly distributed among the employees. There is unfortunately not a lot of room to grow when you're a Sales Consultant. Moving between departments, or moving to an independent boutique may be an option; but it is definitely not what I'd consider an advancement. There is also very little work/life balance, as some clients can only be available on certain days, you may need to show up at work for the sale on your day-off.
Pros
Great benefits, discount, and commission
colleges are not really friendly, management is responsible but seldom knows the truth. Not so much cultural diversity, but other than that it's all good.
I worked at Holt Renfrew as a server. Upper management use bullying, manipulation and scare tactics on restaurant staff and supervisors. It was extremely unorganized and unpleasant. I have worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years and this was easily the worst job I ever had. Management comes from a catering and banquet background which doesn't cross over into a restaurant/retail environment. We used to call it Holt's Cafe Survivor because everyone was on the chopping block at all times. It was a very unhealthy environment. The only perks were the benefits and discounts. Also, literally the WORST uniforms I have ever seen in my life: impractical and ugly.
Pros
Benefits, discounts, hours
Cons
Management, inconsistent tips, work environment
Loved working here. I met some talented people who taught me a great deal of things, it was a fun environment. Getting to know the company and its history was exciting.
Although Holt Renfew hires a lot of great people, they care little about the average associate and focuses too much on numbers and KPI's and will dismiss associates without lending credence.
Benefits
Cons
Hours and holidays
I liked working there for the product and selling environment was very conducive to creating and working your own clientele. the perks of working there included, trips to Italy, discounts, special in-store events and the team itself, mostly great people doing amazing jobs.
Pros
meeting interesting people / great product / fun events
Cons
Management style was a little demeaning and condescending at times.
I worked in the restaurant, it was a terrible work environment. I felt ostracised by the management, many servers including the head chef and sous chef have moved on. The director of catering through intimidation influenced her staff to also participate in propagating this culture of animosity by threatening them with their jobs. I was lucky I was only a server and could leave. Apply at your own risk! Not a good environment. This review is only for the restaurant.
Cons
Long hours, Bad Management, Unorganised
The best teamwork and amazing manager. I would have stayed if i wasnt moving back to Whistler. They taught me so much that I will take with me throughout life.
Pros
coffee breaks
Cons
na
worked 8 hour days, and switched between women's contemporary and collections to helping the Moncler visual merchandiser and doing markdowns. the management was great, professional, and extremely helpful. the coworkers I had were really lovely, and there was a great sense of team work on and off the floor. the hardest part of the job at the beginning was adjusting to the luxury retail style, it was a dramatic change from my past job at American Eagle, but it helped me grow and broaden my skill set. I built a great client base over the 2 months I was there, and learned new skills and got a taste of visual merchandising which really interests me.
Pros
great work experience
Cons
was only a seasonal placement
A great place to work in retail. fantastic seasonal opportunity. I was able to learn from senior sales associates and develop my own skills.
On a typical day at work: one would sign in and head onto the sales floor. There, one would greet and welcome every customer to come into the store. Selling purely based in commission, it's more important to focus on your customer service. Once giving the customer the very best service is at the heart of your approach, sales will naturally follow. Management has always left something to be desired, in this company. I can't discuss details, but suffice it to say that where they put their money, hours and ideas are not exactly conducive to a thriving work place. But I still do my job to the best of my abilities and follow company policy. The hardest part of the job is just this:not being able to leave work at work. I'd have a constant life-line to all of my clients. Not that it's anything I can't handle, but I feel that the more difficult part is constantly answering to clients every hour of the day, inclusive of my days off. Also, going into the store on my days off, to service clients personally- so that I'm sure they're receiving the very best in service. The most enjoyable part of the job can't be brought down to just one point. The team I'd work with was amazing, and working with the clients I had was always a joy as well. I've learned a lot of positive things through coworkers, and I've vastly improved in mandarin as a direct result of constantly working with Chinese clientele.
Pros
A team that supports each other
Cons
Scheduling
benefits are perfect, however lots of pressure. hard to save any money when working there.