Holt Renfrew
Holt Renfrew Employee Review

Nepotism taints an otherwise nice workplace

30 December 2020
Working here I had a manipulative experience with members of my team and management. Initially they try very hard to boost your morale to make you feel like a part of the workplace, however that does not last. It then becomes very clear that unwarranted personal opinions have more weight than work ethic does. Therefore, trying to fit in or even get a chance at advancing solely relies on pandering to particular people, regardless of your skills. Issues like micro-management of tasks, trying to use newer staff as scapegoats for mistakes or difficult tasks, and the culture of defaulting to gossip behind people’s backs made it feel not worth working here for the meagre pay. Also, management is not professional, they will display blatant favouritism. Some staff members that are argumentative and disruptive to other workers and even customers will be praised regardless of what they do. It is unfortunate that these aspects can overshadow one’s experience and have more influence on one’s ability to advance in the company. I strongly believe that this company needs to examine certain staff more thoroughly to understand why they have high turnover rate.
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Good staff discount, convenient location, flexible schedule
Cons
Poor work culture, lack of support, cliques
17 April 2021
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) - Vancouver, BC
There are many luxury brands within holt Renfrew that bring all types of people from all over the world to shop. I love the customers I meet and the long lasting relationships I have built. However, the management is not the greatest. I don’t feel like I can trust management and I also feel that they are not very supportive. They will tell you to do something, without being taught how to do it. I have seen associates get yelled at on the floor which creates a bad impression for other associates and customers. Also, I feel like they cater more towards a Chinese clientele.
Pros
Building customer relationships
Cons
Poor management
29 March 2021
Sales Associate (Former Employee) - Vancouver, BC
Work environment is very toxic. Management is so poor and very unprofessional. Managers would always preach about customer service and say how customers are the king & queen but the minute we need help they turn their backs. Other department employees & top sellers would display arrogant & ignorant attitudes which was annoying.
Pros
discount
Cons
no support, poor management, cliques
3 January 2020
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) - Vancouver, BC
managers are nlot very supportive. staff are all commission driven so no coporate culture or incentives to work together in team environment. all very numbers driven so hard to get management to back you on anything .
Pros
discount on luxury goods
Cons
toxic culture
  1. Nepotism taints an otherwise nice workplace