Holt Renfrew
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

Working at Holt Renfrew: Latest Holt Renfrew Reviews

Canada263 reviews

holtholtsluxurydiscountfashionsalebrandstore

Overall happy with the experience

Was fun to work there at the time and the discount was great. Large environment with people looking to make money so lots of competition for sales in certain areas.

Pros

discount

Cons

lots of people to compete for sales with

Horrendous management that just uses you for close to minimum wage.

The only + at this place is the discount, everyone takes advantage of it. But the job itself is a joke, the supervisors come up with jobs on the spot which have no point. They will make you do something just to pass time and “look” productive in reality your spinning yourself in circles being 0% productive in any sense and as soon as you have a problem they boot you off. The only way to survive at this place is being a sales associate for one of the brands.

Insights into Holt Renfrew

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

It's just a temp start job only

This company is a good for someone in high school and wants to learn something. This is good place to get experience before moving to next step "new company or promotion if you're lucky and have connections"The pay is unfair and you're going to spend years and the pay is same. I'd call this company proudly carried the word "boujee".The gap pay between the hierarchy level is very big

Ambiente de trabajo en grupo y colaborativo

Excelente , un ambiente agradable y entusiasta, se trabaja con esmero y satisfacción

Pros

Seguro médico y dental

Old school company and toxic culture

The IT system within the company is like in the 80s. Micro-managing everywhere. Not supportive from managers. Discouraging everyday. The management are not realistic at all. Keep asking for what you can do, but they are never an innovative leader. Cutting hours and changing stat holiday policy at their will.

Very professional place and I like working at high end places both managers were really nice and they both loved me

I think holtrenfrew can be way better then it is right now when I used to work there before was way way more professional and any one used just can come walk into the store . I have so much love and respect for holtrenfrew 50 blood st I think it’s part of Toronto city. It can be used as the most beautiful place to see . I really would love to work. At holts again I felt so good every time I walked threw the store . I hope you guys take me back I really miss holtrenfrew :(

The managers make or break the employee morale

Holt's was a great place to work when they had good managers who were kind and helpful. Sometimes they would fire good managers and bring on toxic managers only to have the staff leave or end up causing the store lawsuits from these terrible and unskilled managers. Then they would fire the toxic managers and hire supportive and professional managers. It's a great place to work when the managers are skilled, professional, kind and supportive. It was embarrassing how little the HR department knew about labor laws but I believe they've had a HR staff overhaul since I've worked there. Hopefully they HR staff is trained properly these days.

Pros

Lots of free products for employees given as gratis

A good place to work while planning a career elsewhere. Not a career-building place.

A good place to work if you are trying to decide what you want to do for a career and just need a job in the meantime. This is a good place then. The only drawback is the toxic culture of the management team that spills into the sales floor and salespeople. You must govern yourself and watch your back. The discount is great but it's very competitive with other salespersons. Need to put your boundaries or salespeople walk all over you.

Stressful work environment, low pay, overwhelmed with work.

Don't recommend unless you just want the discount on products. Otherwise you aren't paid enough to enjoy the discounts. Very competitive work environment. Very stressful.

Cons

Low pay and too much work.

Enjoyable, good group of people to work with.

Pleasant atmosphere. Nice group of people to work with. Employees are treated with respect. Warm company culture. Regular employee perks. Good experience.

Hierarchical and Dehumanizing environment

This company is petty and divided between departments. Upper management is pathetically job insecure and takes it out on the lowest rungs of employees, like by outsourcing housekeeping duties and cutting their hours but then expecting way too much from them.Within the Tailor shop there was a lot of community and knowledge and skill sharing.

Pros

Great learning opportunity

Cons

having rich people insult you

Competitive

All about numbers. History of high turnover No qualms about firing youMany let go after being good employees in favor of young less expensive straight commission no salary people

Pros

Merchandise Nice store

Cons

You are a number Favoritism.

Nice atmosphere, nice coworkers, good customers

It was pleasure working in a high end department store with a well experienced people. I truly gained a good experience during my time with this company

Not recommended

Toxic environment lacking teamwork People tend to be aggressive cuz the poor base pay Managers only care about the number Definitely not recommend to any friends

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Everything else

Not worth it

Toxic work environment, very competitive, only sales driven. I applied to the Beauty Advisor position thinking that they would give a lot of make up experience but within the 7 months of experience I had, i barely was given the chance to do makeup on any clients (covid had a part to do with this, but taking extra precautions we were allowed to do so). Managers don’t really care much about you other than how well your sales are in a day, and as well as how many appointments you have with clients. As well as, I’ve seen many situations of favouritism between associates. Never felt like I was supported by anybody in a higher up position.The other associates are very cliquey, spread rumours, will try to steal your clients away, and be upset when ever you sell something from their counter (which is also encouraged to sell anything in the store!). My entire experience at this work place felt like I was in high school, management and other beauty advisors were very unprofessional and immature. In my experience, this place was as if it were a war zone or a shark tank. The only positive side to this job was the benefits and the discount but that doesn’t compensate for all the other stress and hard times that I’ve experienced.

Pros

Discount, benefits

Cons

Awful work environment, toxic workers, unsupportive managers

Slow paced no growth

Slow paced no growth within company & management sucks. If you can work elsewhere i would take it as the pay is now where market standards currently are.

Lux environment

As in all places some nice people but due to commission you will have backstabbing people. The company lets some people get away with murder.Discount is decent but don’t forget majority of the merchandise is very expensive.Benefits are pretty good medical etc ( but you pay as well )Long tradition of firing people.Favoritism.Customers now complain that the store is not like it used to be . The new younger staff lacks experience and don’t know too much. Theres not as many familiar faces anymore.Some of the great long term employees aren’t there and have vanished. Largely catering to Asian clientele who spend$$

Pros

Discount

Cons

Stress backstabbing co workers…. Company don’t consider personality of people when hiring

Dont rock the boat Do you Thing Sell and you may think you have job security but you DONT

Worked there for years.Worked with many people.High end environment.Discount is good but prices are very pricey.Benefits are decent.They are known to clean house every year and let people go.Can be disgusting how they toss you aside after working there for years and performing well.

Pros

Discount but merch is expensive

Cons

Favoritism No security

Competitive high energy environment

Nothing but good things to say about this company. A bit of a stuck up company attitude but, well deserved. They are a high end company dealing with high end clientele so, therefore, expectations are high

Pros

Above average salaries

Cons

Great brands to work for within the company

There are many luxury brands within holt Renfrew that bring all types of people from all over the world to shop. I love the customers I meet and the long lasting relationships I have built. However, the management is not the greatest. I don’t feel like I can trust management and I also feel that they are not very supportive. They will tell you to do something, without being taught how to do it. I have seen associates get yelled at on the floor which creates a bad impression for other associates and customers. Also, I feel like they cater more towards a Chinese clientele.

Pros

Building customer relationships

Cons

Poor management

Very Productive

I was completely satisfied with the work environment. The pay scale was high and very helpful management. Not stressful environment and I recommend one to work with Holt Renfrew.

Pros

Very helpful management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holt Renfrew. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement