HollyFrontier Employee Reviews

About holly
Turnaround Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK19 September 2018
I loved working for such a great company. It overall one of the best companies i have worked for. The people are very friendly and welcoming. Just be prepared to learn a lot about the units and everything going on in the field.
Pros
Friendly staff, very understanding company
Haven’t been at HFC very long but long enough I wish I had never taken a job with them.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Dorado16 September 2018
No work life balance. Little to no advancement opportunities unless you are one of the chosen. Management is week and frankly stupid in some instances.
Management is by check lists at best. Rules are applied only at the convenience of management.
Over the last few years a number of employees have simply disappeared without explanation. “Joe Blow is no longer with Hollyfrotier” is the party line and you are left to guess if it was for cause or whim.
There are good people there and some are in management but are in effective at best.
Safety is number one, after costs and schedule.
If you are honest and hardworking and plan on that for advancement then look elsewhere. But if you are willing to put profits above all else, have no ethics and unencumbered with compassion for your fellow man then this could be the place for you.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
You must sell your soul to Holly to get ahead and even then that may not be enough.
No work/life balance & poor leadership.
Project Manager/Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KS3 August 2018
No work/life balance unless management was confronted then they talked about the importance of balance. Promotion was based on who liked you, nothing to do with qualifications. Additionally, experience was not considered important. Overall, poor leadership.
Poor Management & Team Players
Shift Foreman (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY2 July 2018
I wished I could say something positive about HollyFrontier Company but the only thing I can say is that the company does pay well. I worked 14 months trying to make the company successful using all years of experience and skills but I was treated like a outside and most of the management team players didn't want me there.
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK24 June 2018
Excellent place to experience every type of industrial power and controls scenario imaginable. If you are driven by technical challenges, and experiencing different facets of industry Holly is a great place. The scale is large enough that it gives you a taste of everything.
Cons
Cyclical O & G driven
Amazing company
Step-Up Process Operator-Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK19 April 2018
Holly Frontier changed my life. I learned something new every day and knew that my safety was the number one goal of the Company. The hours are rough and the schedule can be difficult.
Pros
stock
Cons
schedule
Typical corporate job
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX11 April 2018
Good people, great location, ability to work 9/80...it's your typical office job. Not much excitement in the office. Very traditional and outdated. The work isn't hard but can be challenging.
clickish
Oil and gas construction (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK6 April 2018
They don't always advance based on experience, nor recognize the value of someone's self investment to grow. Over all the company its self is a solid company.
I really enjoyed my time there
Procurement Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX27 March 2018
A great place to work. Everyone and I mean everyone was willing to take time out of their day to help you or give information about a topic of interest. Work life balance was top notch and everyone seemed to be mindful of making the workplace a great place to work. As an intern, I was given meaningful work and real feedback for my outputs.
Pros
Freedom, assistance, trust
Cons
Industry
No Culture
Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX22 February 2018
No culture, no diversity, people would overstep boundaries by looking into personal lives of coworkers. You had to be in the "in crowd" to be promoted. Managers only spoke to certain people.
Not bad
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY28 January 2018
Frontier oil for a corporation was a good place and good people to work with good pay and benefits. Mangement staff was not fair. To all the employee s
Zero work life balance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK6 October 2017
I am a former employee of 10 years. If you're a single, tail kissing, individual who is willing to work endless hours then this is the place for you. In Tulsa, overal the management is horrible and demands production no matter if the job is done safely or not. I personally witnessed a significant injury on equipment that had been written up several times. There are many good people located at the Tulsa refinery but the management is very very poor.
could be a great place to work
Warehouse Clerk/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WY22 September 2017
great work to do. I work in the warehouse and the people I worked with was top notch and fun. Had poor management with mass confusion on how things should be run.
Pros
good work enviroment fuun people to work with good benifits
Cons
poor managment
Great Company
Senior Economics and Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, Texas USA26 August 2017
Very good culture. The people are skilled and politics are minimal. The company is well managed and the personnel selection keeps the culture very positive.
Fast Pace
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NM9 August 2017
Very fast pace, Only two women doing all of the data entry for the trucking company.
Worked with several different companies on run tickets.
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Pros
Learning data entry
Cons
Good Learning experience
Higher Paying with Loaded Stress and Old School Management
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Anonymous2 August 2017
A high-stress job with very old school management that is more about looking good than doing a good job. Poor management styles with growth only if you can impress the right person. The culture is very poor and they do not care because they pay well so people stay.
Pros
Higher Pay
Cons
Not a very good culture.
New Management Team - lots of challenges
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX7 July 2017
I've worked at HollyFrontier since 2011.

As of 2016, a new management team has taken over that is promising change and doubling the size of the company by 2020.

That will be great for people at the top but the probably withe the culture is that all the support groups will or have been pushed to the limit because management does not want to add head count or add employees to the bench.

The company can have great work/life balance. However the trade-off to this advantage is that advancement in your career is difficult. Not unlike many other corporations, politics play a heavy part. The historical advancement process is to wait for the individual in front of you to either leave the company, retire, or any number of reasons besides your own performance. It is well understood that not every junior level employee can become manager but if HollyFrontier wants to play with the big boys (Valero/ Phillips 66 / Tesoro) - it will need to managed its talent in a similar manner. HFC's peers have well-developed succession and rotation plans in place that allow for development and retention of its employees.

Culture here is very laidback and it can be fun. Mostly a good ol' boys club and not much gender or racial diversity - Not as bad as other oil and gas companies but still very apparent.

I do believe in some of the management here but HFC needs a serious culture overhaul and if you are looking to advance quickly, this is not the time to join. There are some serious structural issues that need to be repaired so that your career is not held hostage (speaking from experience).
  more... Even working for a great boss does not translate into career advancement.  less
Fun and productive office dynamic
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK5 June 2017
I love working at Holly Frontier and really enjoy my fellow yield accountants. The office dynamic is very laid back but structured, which I enjoy. The work is challenging and offers continuous growth.
Pros
Great people; small team
Cons
na
productive place to work
Journeyman Pump Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Woods Cross, UT24 January 2017
good coworkers and team building program great benefits and pay one of the best jobs I have had would work for them again.
Pros
paid lunch
Great people and loved selling ATV's and Watercrafts, Also farming equipment
Environmental Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NM16 September 2016
Looked up parts for farming and industrial equipment.
Unloaded atv's and assembled them before selling to customers.
Enjoyed meeting many different people!
Pros
Commissions on sales
Cons
Worked every Saturday for many years

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HollyFrontier. Our community is ready to answer.