Hollyburn Properties Ltd.

Hollyburn Properties Ltd. Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
While I enjoyed my time at Hollyburn, they do expect a lot of their resident managers. I was expected to be the maintenance staff, cleaner, painter, and to handle the day-to-day paperwork (leasing, warnings, rent collection, etc).

The training they provided was great, and allowed me to handle most in-suite repairs.

Based on the amount of work that was involved in the position, the wage was low, but there were several benefits that came with the position (RRSP matching, extended medical, dental, optometry...etc).

The only real complaint I had was their constant mention of Hollyburn being a "family" while not adequately reimbursing those family members for the workload expected of them.
you will work hard for very little money. Can be stressful too. (depending on a building.) Lots of responsibilities. Huge turn over . Your work just never ends.
I did well with HBP but management does play favorites and HR is more about covering the company's butt than anything. The other staff are mostly nice but upper management is the epitome of favoritism. If you are in the right place at the right time there might be room for advancement but it's not a huge company so that is hit or miss. There is no disciplinary action for managers yelling at staff so again culture depends on who you report directly to. If you need a job, it's not terrible. If you have a job you don't hate, don't bother coming here.
Managers, usually a couple, do everything by themselves. Administration, renting, renovations, cleaning the building, cleaning the units on turnover, painting. Very hard work.
I have started as an Assistant Building Manager and after 4 months was promoted to a Building Manager , than after a year promoted again to an operational Training Manger. Company has a great growth program. Followed company growth to a big corporation where work ethics were one of the top in the industry.
Team work was excellent and support from my supervisors as well.

Working day was enjoyable and educational on all levels but the most enjoyable part was meeting and training new employees from different parts of the world.

Overall : Great experience
The payment is very low compared to the long hours. Lots of managers are forced to work until late at night, as they are supposed to do all the work in the suites that are vacant: painting, maintenance, cleaning and renting all the suites. The management doesn't care about the employees, and the head office's hours are different from the hours of the managers, which are basically on the phone 5 days a week. They have this ridiculous policy where the managers are not allowed to travel further than 15 minutes from the building during the working week because they have to drop everything and go back to the building if emergencies intervene. The phones are listened, the HR does not work at all to support the staff at the building, although they send emails asking people to approach them if anything happens. But if there is any incident, the HR will transform all the investigation in a trial where they are the prosecutors. Most of the managers are immigrants without too many choices as newcomers in Canada. The respect and gratitude shown to the managers is only when there is a desperate situation and the managers have to cover several other buildings while respecting their countless rules and policies, which is exhausting.. The rewards are sort of a joke, mostly a $50 Safeway gift card, after working like a slave for a month or more. But oh, you will get an award lol.

Plus, there is this very strange situation going on: you can be very lazy, as long as "someone" from the office likes you, you are praised and you are a great worker. On the other hand, you can work very hard, but
 - more...
Pros
good health package
Cons
very long hours, gossip, low pay, too many policies
4 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We regret that you had a negative experience during your time at Hollyburn Properties. We value our employees and strive to provide an environment where they feel respected and are treated fairly. We acknowledge that the position of Assistant Resident Manager and Resident Manager can be challenging given its unique responsibilities, however it can also extremely rewarding. When we advertise these positions and subsequently hire for them - we try our best to be completely transparent about all aspects involved in the job. We also do our best to recognize our team members who go “above and beyond” with a formal recognition program, however we always value feedback and we do re-evaluate the awards on an annual basis.

It is unfortunate you have a poor impression of the Human Resources department as it does aim to support our employees in any way that they can, whenever possible. With that said, any information that leads the company to believe that a team member may have violated our Code of Conduct, ethics or policies then our Human Resources department and Management team do have an obligation to look into matters further. We encourage you to reach out to our General Manager at info@hollyburn.com if you would like the company to address your concerns directly.
Hollyburn is "okay" place to work, but there is a wide room for improvement for the benefit of the workers. Hollyburn does not have any retirement benefit or something like that.
Pros
Managers work hard.
Cons
Management is poor.
I enjoyed working for Hollyburn Properties. As a Resident Manager, I was able to take control and manage the building to make sure the standards are kept and the building operated effectively. The management was good in my opinion and our area supervisor was awesome.

The hardest part of the job is work/life balance and dealing with other Resident Managers. Some are not so happy to assist/help, there is a bit of negativity with some employees...so it's hard to keep positive if your around some people that always look for the bad. The good thing is you work mostly in your building and can set the tone or mood within your own place of work.

The company is always growing and changing so at times this can make it difficult to get into a rhythm at your building with the company due to so many changes happening. Hollyburn is always working at improving its employee experience so I did appreciate that!

If you have a good Property Manager that is reasonable, professional and cares and you have a good building then I recommend working for Hollyburn Properties Ltd.
Pros
Location and Self Management
Cons
24/5 phone and turning suites quickly
Enjoyed working for Hollyburn, had training in many areas of the business and monthly meetings to update all management of new and changing procedures. Managers received good bonuses for work well done!
Pros
relaxed environment
7 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you were provided with valuable training and felt informed of new procedures and policies.
Survival company for new immigrants, as 90% of their employees are, until you find a normal job.
Management is ok with that, that's why they maintain minimum wage and don't mind an enormous turnover of employees.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Everything else
I had worked for the long time , the companies run with the few psycho sociopath, no remorse and respect for hard working people
Pros
Owners seems to care more
Cons
Management sucks
7 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to comment. We regret that you had a negative experience at Hollyburn Properties and hope you were given an opportunity to address your concerns while you were still with the company.
We encourage you to reach out to us directly at careers@hollyburn.com so that our Human Resources department may follow up and formally address your concerns.
Do all kinds of jobs, painting, maintenance, very nice management and helpful co-workers. Even though mostly every day the work was hard to do, I really enjoyed working for Hollyburn properties
Pros
Nice people
7 November 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to learn that you had a positive experience while at Hollyburn Properties.
Daily work schedule consists of cleaning and maintaining the building. Most of the day is spent helping tenants with their maintenance requests and/or renovating empty suits. The whole team works very well together and every day is a training day.
I did not quite enjoy working for this company because I did not receive payment for my over-time work.
relationship between all the employees are about the only good experience I had working in this company, however because there are many talking behind people's backs going on so even that may not be as good as it seems from the outside.
Pay seems to be fair when explained at the interview, but hours expected to work and work load for the number of people they hire is not even close to acceptable.
Pros
free rent
Cons
management, salary, hours