Hollyburn Family Services
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Hollyburn Family Services Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews

clientsupportivesupervisorstaffopportunitycaremanagementlot

supportive management and a great cause with caring people

obviously the company has a great role in the community. The staff really do care about the clients, and there are supports there for new people to the field to gain confidence

Pros

training, support, free food, benefits

Cons

pay could be higher - would help with retention

worst job experience

Jesus STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY,it was my worst experience working there, very toxic work environment there is connection btw managers and some ignorent supervisors and they listen to their judgment without letting you defend yourself, managers and supervisors have no degree and there is no training at the begining they just throw you to learn by yourself very toxic this company is such a shame in this field!!!!!

Insights into Hollyburn Family Services

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction

Work place

I haven’t been back since covid as I felt I needed to work in one location. During the time I was there I absolutely enjoyed my work environment. Was there stressful moments yes but that comes with the job. The pay is at par with other companies. Could it be better yes but it’s the same in all places.

Poorly managed company

The management team have a culture of covering their mistakes and never take responsibility, they take the easy way out and hang staff out to dry at every management meeting. They paint their staff as incompetent so they maintain a veneer of competence, it's basic but they seem to make it work.

Seems good place to work but need to handle stress well

Often face challenging behavior from clients so need to handle stress well, has a lot of training provided now and you work under a few coworkers before going out on your own.

Good experience but lots of pressure and obligation

This is a good entry-level experience if you are looking for flexible hours or to get your foot in the door in this field. They are in constant need of staff so it is easy to get shifts. The management seems disorganized and is just looking for bodies rather than valuing their employees and supporting them in their work. At my program, there is a lot of pressure to be constantly available when they need you and they are not understanding of your need for sick days or vacation days.

Terrible place to work

Toxic management who don't support their Frontline staff as they are too busy worrying about cutting OT even though there are not enough staff to go around, and making profits over client care while employing people who dont understand what the job is.

Pros

Co worker

Cons

No support from higher up, or advocacy for better wages

High turn-over

Terrible management style. Program managers have Poor skills to communicate with staff members. They lack empathy and understanding. High level of discrimination against immigrant workers.

Toxic work envionment

Toxic management and abusive clients, you will risk your physical and mental health working here, very bad overall experience working here, i work here in various residences and experienced very bad physical and mental torture, never trust this management they stab you from back, only positive is some nice co workers

Pros

Nil

Good experience working with clients

I enjoyed working with the clients, experienced different cultures which was valuable. Learning things about myself that I got from the positions. Coworkers became friends.

Cons

Accountability & honesty needed between coworkers, especially with communication.

The entire team works towards our common goals

I appreciate working with every level of the Hollyburn Team from the Casual workers, program Supervisors, Managers and Senior Leaders, to achieve goals for the common good of the individuals we serve and the organization as a whole. It is not always easy, and we don't always get it right the first time. But we know why we're here and we never lose sight of our mission to Empower Growth and Inspire Change.

Hollyburn as a preferred employer

I work with a youth in a home, that was created specifically for her. We work as a team to provide a stable and nuturing environment that provides the opportunity to teach life skills and prepare our youth for her next steps in life, I have learned that you cannot expect all youth to respond the same way to challenges in life, We need to be flexible and understanding of our youth's needs and the abilities they posses, and not make the focus on those they don't. Our staff team supports each other, and works together to provide the supports that our youth needs to thrive. The best part of the job is having those break through moments, when the youth is proud of the things they can do and celebrating those successes. The hardest part is when our youth is struggling and it feels like nothing is working to imporve the situation. This is when having a supportive team to rely on helps keep the flow going. I feel very supported by Hollyburn, the trainings that are offered are great and it makes me feel like they care enough about their employees to give them all the support and tools they need to succeed. They encourage growth in their workers and provide opportunities to expand skills, and grow with the organization,

Youth worker

Supervisors and managers use people under them in order to get ahead and consistently throw Frontline workers under the bus. They are not supportive and it is very clique oriented, so you’re if you’re not in the clique then you are ostracized and end up paying for it when they need somebody to blame when somethings gone wrong.

Flexible, positive life/work balance, and supervisory staff are supportive

Excellent place to work, and contribute/support change people live. Flexible, positive life/work balance, and supervisory staff are supportive. The hardest part is to build a positive relationship with the clients.

Great Work Environment

Hollyburn offers their employees opportunities that I feel other companies neglect to do. They offer continuous learning and professional development. Very supportive and very rewarding work!

Amazing place to work

What I felt while working here for seven years is that colleagues and management are very supportive, and the company has client-centered expertise and mission. I am very happy to work at Hollyburn Family Services.

Empowering Growth, Inspiring Change

Hollyburn is a fantastic company with tons of room for growth. There are many opportunities for further training and advancement. Supervisors and managers are very supportive and encouraging in helping you grow. You feel a sense of community and a sense of belonging. I love what the company stands for and they truly "empower growth and inspire change".

Decent place to work, wage needs improvement...

Good place to work, sometimes even challenging. Overall really good supervisors and coworkers. I wish they paid more. Pay should go up.. its way under compared to other companies. As a second job, I like it. One thing I love about here; supervisors and managers really appreciate you working for them... it makes you feel go to be part of the team even as part time.

Great

Great place to get your foot in the door and get experience! Very flexible hours and great team to work with! Can be overworked at times, however the team is often supportive.

Supportive, family friendly and room to grow

Supportive and diverse workplace that is driven by client centered values. Management is very encouraging and strength-based and there are many training and growth opportunities. The work schedule is flexible enough to accommodate juggling family life.

Great work environment!

Amazing organization to work for! There are exceptionally skilled staff to work alongside, and learn from. The environment is positive and passionate about the service and care they provide to the clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hollyburn Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement