Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Employee Reviews

Good company with work ethics
Family Team Leader (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2018
Always make you feel like part of team. After 4 years have had a very positive experience with staff, families and the work culture. Very accessible building
Productive and a great experience
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
I learned about working in HR. I come from a retail and Customer service background. I was able to show what I can do in an office environment and contribute in a positive and productive way.
The people in the office are friendly, full of energy, and hard workers to make sure the help Holland Bloorview a great experience for everyone who works, volunteers, and make everyone feel like family.
Security is a high priority as it is a hospital, which means staff, volunteer, and client safety is important.
Staff Parking is inconvenient to get to. The walk from the parking lot to the hospital is a nice walk. Getting to the staff parking lot is inconvenient as you have to go through a residential area to get to it and the majority of the streets have no turning signs to reduce the amount of non residential traffic. If you ask for a FOB, you can bypass the no turning signs, but you still have a nice walk.
Pros
Onsite Tim Horton's, Friendly coworkers, and a big office
Cons
Staff Parking was inconvenient as the lot location is in residential area
Amazing place to work in
Executive Assistant Responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2018
Great genuine care for children and their improvement, all hands on deck for any situation, great place to work in, staff are very respectful and kind.
Steer clear of Kindercircle! You have been warned!
Child Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On11 March 2018
You are not working at Holland Bloorview but a small daycare within it.. This is a small daycare that takes care of mainly the children of the employees of Holland Bloorview.

The work culture here is toxic and it is evident that the staff here lack empathy and have lost the care in childcare.

Caring for young children is a hard enough job already and it's even harder when you don't have support from your colleagues. You won't get teamwork at this place but criticism and back stabbing.

I am not surprised that this godforsaken place is once again hiring staff again.
Pros
managing stressful situations
Cons
toxic work culture, racism
Enjoyable and fun place to work!
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  North York, ON2 January 2018
Staff here are always very welcoming, the supervisors are always around to help. Senior staff are always around to give advice, especially for cases when a new staff are dealing with an unfavorable situation.
Pros
Paid trainings, free food, fun staff
Advocate for teens with physical disabilities.
Recreation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2017
I was the teen advocate for groups of kids and would re introduce them to recreation programs in the community. I was a member of a holistic team that worked together for the betterment and independence of the youth we worked with in the city of Toronto.
Pros
I was able to meet kids from various socio economic backgrounds.
Cons
late hours
Dysfunctional culture with unethical treatment
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2017
The head of human resources is like the mafia. She breaks every employment law in Ontario and gets away with it because no-one cares. Concerns and complaints are not followed up on. There is poor communication between management and employees and no support. All they care about is how they look to the media and how many researchers papers they publish.
Pros
Working with the kids is great
Great place to work!
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto12 September 2017
A challenging and rewarding work environment with employees who are inspiring, dedicated and committed. Collaboration is encouraged and the teams are engaged, diligent, supportive and want to do their best!
Pros
Excellent and engaging work environment.
Cons
Management needs to be more visible to off-site teams and encourage their development.
great staff
RN student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2017
I enjoyed working at bloorview rehab, great compassionate caring staff. the environment was safe and friendly. I learn a lot and would work in this hospital if there are any future opportunities.
A Great Place
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2017
Great environment for staff and clients at Holland Bloorview!I always enjoyed going to work. I always left going home with great stories of the day of clients achievements big and small.It was amazing to see all the hard work and determination of each client at Bloorview. The staff were there because they cared an genuinely wanted the best for each client.
Pros
great kids great staff
Cons
long drive in
Holland Bloorview Review
Instructor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2016
Holland Bloorview is a great place to work. They have an amazing pool environment that is well maintained and has state of the art technology. Helping kids with disabilities everyday was a rewarding experience and was the best part of coming into work everyday. Holland Bloorview should look into increasing their compensation as their is a lot of training and specialized teaching involved with this position
Pros
Great working environment
Client centered care and team oriented
Pre-Graduate Practical Nursing Student on 3SODR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2016
Amazing learning environment for a pre-graduate placement. Health care team is phenomenal and team work focused. Usually 8 or 12 hour rotational shifts throughout the week, with 3-4 patient assignments.
Amazing Environment
Recreational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2016
Working at Holland Bloorview added so many amazing skills to my work ethic. Getting to work with the children every day and do something that I enjoyed and could feel good about was extremely rewarding. I loved my time at Holland Bloorivew.
Gained experience with ABI & other Special needs
Child, Youth & Rehab Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2015
Gained experience and education with ABI and other special needs patients. Developed & Implemented behaviour plans with patients. Supported families; Worked with multi-displinary team
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is dedicated to creating a world of possibilities for children and youth with disabilities.
Family Support Fund and Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2015
Holland Bloorview offers the opportunity to make a difference, impacting lives and challenging the staff with in an atmosphere that is defined by dynamic people doing remarkable work on a daily basis.
One of the hospital-wide projects was to streamline all processes from initial referral to first appointment and through all levels of therapy to discharge. LEAN is a customer-centric methodology used to continuously improve any process through the elimination of waste in everything you do; it is based on the ideas of “Continuous Incremental Improvement” and “Respect for People.” As you can imagine this was a lengthy and challenging project. I was impressed with the detailed, solution-oriented participation of all levels involved.
There was a variety to my daily responsibilities that kept me interested and valued by my colleagues and clients. I find this atmosphere very motivating. The trust from direct management to complete a task independently or within a team effort is very satisfying.
I would always recommend employment at HBKRH to anyone interested in making a difference in the lives of others and thereby improving your own character and career goals.
Pros
Positive, focused atmosphere
Cons
non
Exciting, enriching environment with talented people
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people - great environment with a wealth of talented scientists that work together as well as separately. Lots of engineering as well as clinical studies being done to improve rehabilitation for children. An important feature of Holland Bloorview is that scientists get to connect their research with clinical studies held right at the hospital itself, which is very helpful. The work environment is beautiful due to the new architectural design of the building and the children who come to the hospital for care.
Recognize the need for work-life balance workplace environment
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto10 June 2013
Daily interaction with employees, physicians, volunteers and students with concerns requiring assistance from an occupational health, safety and wellness professional.
Pros
Variety of job demands
Cons
Parking
Great experience working with children with a variety of musculoskeltal and developmental disorders
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2013
Volunteering at Holland-Bloorview opened my eyes to the children most in need of the attention that dedicated volunteers can give. Since many of the patients were under the age of 12, being an active part of of their social maturation, and cognitive development was rewarding in a way that is indescribable. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and the senior staff know their job, and provide all the training for newcomers.
Pros
experience with special orthopaedic rehabilition, as well as complex continuing care
In serious need of improvement
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2012
The best part of the day was definitely the clients and their families and the feeling that you had made a difference in someone's life. Front line staff are extremely dedicated and knowledgeable -- they stay because of their dedication in spite of ridiculous and backwards management style. Upper management in particular needs to give their collective heads a shake. They would like to see this organization run like an assembly-line factory without realizing that these are people that we are dealing with, not products. There are many practices that are not client-centred at all and which are intended to push as many people through as possible without consideration for the quality of work. In the last year that I was there I saw many staff quit in frustration or who were fired for not toeing the party line. Abysmal HR department that does nothing to support staff. Salary is not in line with other hospitals. Extremely poor morale -- I left in part because I couldn't stand to listen to all the complaining about the toxic work environment. To call this one of GTA's "top" employers is a joke.
Pros
unique and challenging client population
Cons
poor management, lack of staff recognition, terrible cafeteria food, dark minuscule gym, new staff need to park in offsite lot and walk 10 min.
Iliked the fact that you usually had a veriety of jobs to do plus you would get different thigs to take care of you never knew what you might be fixin
Maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  scarbero ont.27 September 2012
It thought it was overall a purity good place to work for. the nice thing was you had a opportunity to learn a variety of things plumbing repairs or electrical repairs or carpentry work
Pros
exelent benefits
Cons
shift work weekends