Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital

Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada57 reviews

Lack of Manager Accountability

Department leadership does not have nearly enough oversight. Some managers are fantastic and support their staff teams well. When you have a bad manager, there is no recourse to make sure they do a better job. Their superiors don't know what the managers do and don't talk to the people that managers supervise to make sure they are safe and supported

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Not enough manager accountability

Poor management and overworked staff

I worked more than 12 hours a day and was never recognized. In fact, management are quick to throw you under the bus to save themselves from getting in trouble. The organization as a whole is something I’m passionate in, but the majority of management do not have the skills to become an effective manager.

Client and family focused company with lots of perks.

Love working for Bloorview. Some silly things with management and workload, but that’s what all large companies (especially in public service) are like!

Not a positive work environment

Do yourself a favour and stay away from this place!The patients that you interact with are AMAZING! However, your colleagues are backstabbers! There is minimal support from management, and there is a LOT of discrimination from upper management and HR.

Pros

The patients and parents are lovely

Cons

Co-workers and management are shady! They will stab you in the back any and EVERY chance they get.

Amazing summer job opportunity for a university student.

Summer position in a recreational program. Both colleagues and clients were all wonderful to work with and made me look forward to going in every day.

If I could give management a zero, I would

Great clients and great clinical work being done. But management is awful. And the burnout is very very real. They are constantly piling on the work and cutting down clinicians' hours, so you have to work unpaid overtime. There are constantly clinicians on stress leave.

Pros

Clients, colleagues

Cons

Management Low pay

Negative experience and toxic work culture

Working at the Bloorview research institute (BRI) was a very negative and toxic time in my life. The scientist I worked for was a micromanager, lacked trust in their staff, had control issues, and treated her staff very poorly (yelling, aggressive emails, hostility). Even after multiple complaints to higher management and HR, very little was done to support the staff. HR and the BRI knew this person caused many issues, and created a hostile work environment, but did nothing to fix the problem. We had no choice but to leave the organization. The only thing I enjoyed about Bloorview was the people I met from other labs who became close friends of mine. Bloorview could be an okay place to work if you have a good scientist, but if you have any issues, do not expect to be supported. Also the growth is very limited, no job stability (all contract jobs), and pay is not great.

Most Warm & Welcoming Environment

Ever since I started working at Holland Bloorview, I love going into work. The atmosphere of the hospital is friendly, clean, and welcoming.Everybody who I work with is a pleasure, and I could not ask for a better team and work environment

Beware of Kindercircle Day Care Inc!

This is a small day care located at Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital. Most of the work colleagues are hard working individuals who have worked here for a longer period of time, in order to ensure financial stability. Despite of that, Kindercircle Day Care is a hostile and toxic work environment for a certain reason which I cannot specify furthermore. However, given the following information I hope you can puzzle this certain justification. Your mental health and well-being is more worthy than this place and you do not want to jeopardize it here otherwise. Calling in sick, requesting time off and vocation is a hassle NO MATTER what the circumstance is, period. Your voice and competence as a working individual is always insufficient; meaning what you say or do with confidence means absolutely NOTHING. Working with children in general is already an exhausting job as it is. Honour my advice and experience at your own glory hands because being in an environment like this is NOT WORTH anyone’s time and more importantly energy. Please take your time and seek elsewhere where you will be truthfully appreciated and valued as an employee. All the best!

Pros

Demographic

Cons

Toxic work environment, paid parking.

Overall great place to work. The senior staff really care about the wellbeing of the part-time staff. There is always a staff member ready and willing to support you along the way.

Pros

nice work environment

Cons

parking

Excellent work environment and culture

Everyone was incredibly friendly and dedicated to their work. The clients and their families always came first when making executive decisions. I really enjoyed volunteering here as I felt a strong sense of community membership.

Great location

Great for the kids, good programs and support for clients and families. Great inpatient team of nurses, great support for continuing education. Flexible schedule

Pros

great teamwork

Cons

Flexible hours

Summer Camp at Holland Bloorview

This program purpose how to skill life and how to basic learn money budge. also opportunity has disability it better job. Summer Camp at Holland Bloorview have action include Technology Information (IT), Skill Life, and other.

Great place to work!!

The culture at Holland Bloorview is second to none!! The kindness of staff is second to none. Everyone I have met at Holland Bloorview is genuinely happy to be working there. Awesome group!!

Excellent Service Provider and employer

State of the art facility. Compassionate, professional, educated and dedicated staff and management. The building itself and location are spectacular. Would highly, highly recommend Holland Bloorview as a workplace, and patient care provider.

Awesome place!

Great place to work!. Awesome co-workers and management as well. I really enjoyed my time there, started on a short contract and another opportunity came up there but other circumstances got in the way so I had to leave.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Can't think of any

Highly educational hospital setting

As a dental hygiene student, I had the chance to shadow and assist in the dental department of Holland-Bloorview. We provided dental services with children with mental and/or physical disabilities as well as adults that worked in the hospital. A typical day at the clinic included a huddle in the morning, providing scheduled appointments, observing surgeries, and retrieving patient paper files. The hardest part of the job was to provide services to the patients without causing any harm, as some would have violent or aggressive movements. The most enjoyable part of the job was being to help in any way to improve the oral health of the patients.

Amazing Workplace

I worked here and I absolutely loved it. The general environment is lively and very welcoming. The job itself was veryy insightful and I was privileged to be included in the growth of the institution. I definitely recommend it!!

Pros

Networking Opportunities

Amazing workplace!

I thoroughly enjoyed working here with every staff member. Everyone was friendly, encouraging, supportive and really really helpful. I felt like this was a big family. I learned a lot working here. I had a change of perspective on many things in life. The management was friendly, understanding and amazing. The workplace culture was one of acceptance, regardless of where you come from or who you are. I enjoyed interacting with some of the doctors and also some of the children there. They also have celebrations for every form of festival, from Pride, to Caribbana, the list goes on. Lots of free food too during the festivals!

Pros

free food, happiness, peaceful, stress-free, lots of supportive staff

Cons

cannot think of any

Amazing client-focused environment

Every aspect of HBKRH is client focused which is a wonderful way to run the hospital. From Foundation right down to individual program instructors and volunteers every person is valued and encouraged to do their best work.

Good staff, leadership has weak players

The overall culture is good and most people who are not on the senior leadership team are great. Some of the leaders however engage in politics and obfuscation such that it is difficult at times to know what they want or how they feel. It is toxic to many who like clear and concise leadership.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement