Holland America Line Employee Reviews

Fun environment.
Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  National Capital Region30 November 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job is that you get to know different nationalities and their cultures. You will also have the chance to see the whole world while working.
N/a
Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cruiseship24 July 2017
im am not happy to work with holland america line..i dont get enough salary with holland america line..and they racial discrimination regarding asian.
Experience
Tamarind restaurant waitress (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Canada15 June 2017
First experience work on cruise ship pretty amazed how people do work for long hours to provide services to more then thousand people a day.
And seeing the world while we work for free is priceless, no matter how tired and long hours for work the whole contract.
Multi tasking job and be ambassador for our own country to the passenger introduce our culture.
Pros
free lunch mean we can rest for long hours max 5 hours
good management
Laundy attendant (Former Employee) –  on the ship29 May 2017
Easy to rehire but the salary is too small especially for Laundry and Housekeeper, most of the employer are indonesian so the working environment is joyfull
Pros
free lunch
Cons
salary is not fair
Nice ships with good crew
Asst. Culinary Operations Manager. (Former Employee) –  Worldwide29 April 2017
Overall a pretty good company, a little below average on pay and some management were really bad and hard to advance. Excellent crew. Training needs to be more of a focus with this line.
Pros
Nice itineraries and guests and crew overall
Cons
some undesirable managers preying on crew members
Great workplace with good incentives and family feels.
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Dawson City, YT1 February 2017
I enjoyed working here. Holland America works very hard to create a culture within itself and be involved in the community which it inhabits. Lots of laughs, good staff members, excellent management. Plenty of return employees. That tells you something.
Pros
Free meals, staff housing, paid over time.
Cons
Seasonal.
Fast paced environment.
Sales Associate on board (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2016
work with people all over the world, travel all over the world. Work really long hours. food and accommodation is paid for.
Pros
travel
Cons
really long hours
Great company to work for
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT7 December 2015
I really enjoyed the three years I spend with the company. The management is great and the job itself was as advertised.

Co-workers were great, all did their job fanstastic and had great customer service.

Employees come back year after year which is great to see.

My typical day was start work at 7am, greet guests as I arrived to the sales office. As coaches loaded to leave for their next destination I would thank all guests for visiting. Next few hours guests who are staying multiple nights would come into the office and purchase tours or get information on things to see in the city. Greet new coaches and do it all again.
Pros
Employee Retention Strategy, Co-workers, Location
Cons
Location, seasonal work
Great Experience, HUGE commitment
Performer (Former Employee) –  Alaska and the Caribbean.31 December 2014
I loved my contracts working with HAL. I got to travel and do what I loved and get paid for it. The trade off was that I lived in a room smaller than your refrigerator for 9 months straight with no windows and terrible internet.
Pros
Free Food, Free Rent, Free Travel, Great Job
Cons
Basically living in a boarding school when you're practically 30 is degrading.
Terrible
Assistant Shore Excursions Manager (Former Employee) –  Worldwide1 March 2014
Worst job experience I have ever had. I have worked for 3 major Cruise lines and various other businesses and this was by far the most abusive company I have ever worked for.

Management were free to treat staff however they pleased (which was abusive) and the culture of the dept management is to treat ppl like garbage and nothing will be done to back the staff up.

I was mentally and verbally abused on many occasions.
Pros
Money
Cons
To many to list
productive and fun to work with
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, Canada2 January 2014
A good example of high standard luxury floating hotel. Great crew and standard as well. A good company to work with and the company will train you well to become a good and productive staff of the ship
Pros
free food
Family Like Atmosphere
Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Yukon Canada9 March 2013
Fun company to work for . Possibilty for advancement.
Lots of travel benefits.
Life on the high sea's
EXECUTIVE CHEF (Former Employee) –  Europe, Caribean, Alaska, Pacific26 November 2012
Day on the job; Up at 5-6 am setting up breakfast, ensuring all employes are in attendance and completing their assigned duties and reviewing the days menu's with CDP. Reviewing the days specials with CDP's. Reviewing temp. logs. Inspecting and critiquing buffets lines. Opening service on time and ensuring efficient running in co-ordination with main kitchen with ample supplies. Running of main kitchen a la carte runs efficiently and quality is the best it can be. Reviewing the menu's for the day with Sous Chefs and CDP's and organizing tastings for each service. working with the stores manager as to food levels and quality of items being held , supplementing with inspections. Coordinating with stores manger for ordering for future cruises. (when oversea's 2 months in advance). inspecting all outlets for quality, speed of service,and costing effectiveness. Dealing with crew morral and daily issues. Co-ordinating with F&B and hotel manager any special needs and ongoing orginization og culinary needs, specificationa
Pros
traveling the world, great compensation, rapid advancement, hands on training, ability to excell, accomdation with stewards, ability to explor shorside
Cons
long hours (12-16 hrs/day, 140-160 days in a row, no choice of staff, very strick foodcost and very high demand from cruise passangers.
Excellent workplace but far away from my family
Storekeeper / Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Onboard ships fleet wide4 July 2012
I'm always in the sea and far from my family when working with Holland America Line. I always miss my family. I want to work in landbase shipbuilding facility in Halifax Dartmouth as there is a chance for me to bring my family with me and live in Canada. I've learned capitalized store management and excellent approach to inventory and material control. The management of Holland America is excellent and my co-workers are professional. The hardest part working with Holland America Line is being far from far away from my family. The most enjoyable part with Holland America are the co-workers during crew parties.
Pros
holland america line - safety and environmental management system)
Cons
very limited carreer advancement - promotion