Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews

Unique Workplace - Great Work Ethics - wonderful culture
Executive Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON22 April 2018
Great place to be where All Staff takes a lot of pride in what they do. It shows in the guest feedback.
I have worked in upwards of 7 corporate Hotels 4 countries and Hockley valley by far is the best place I have worked.
Management has a great sense of Urgency with a Open door Policy. Always willing to help and tackle any situation with utmost patience and generosity.
I have learned a lot here and was successful in building a strong team with very talented Chefs. Who genuinely care and cook with their hearts and always working to grow And Learn.
Pros
Free food, Staff Accomodation, Golf, Ski and Free use of Gymnasium
Great Resort, Great People
Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON21 April 2018
I was a marketing and social media intern over the winter season and cannot say enough good things about the people and the experiences I have had here. Extremely busy environment, always plenty of projects on the go but always lots to do and see. Everyone I came into contact with was more then happy to assist me with the projects I was working on as well as conducted themselves very professionally. Management at the resort was very friendly and professional as well, if something isn't done to a specific standard, only conductive criticism is used and the situation is approached as an opportunity to learn. I highly recommend working at the Hockley Valley Resort if you are able to keep up with a fast but enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Learn a lot about customer service, problem solving and plenty of hands on work experience in the field of Hospitality.
Wonderful people to work with!!!!
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON31 March 2018
This place gave me so much! This is so far best place I have ever worked!
So many opportunities to learn new things and grow within. Chefs here are very helpful. Place will definitely grow you as a better professional.
Pros
Free food, Good Money, amazing co-workers, good working habitat.
Cons
sometimes you have to work on saturdays.
Amazing place learning and progress never stops
Winery / ala carte Chef (Current Employee) –  Alacarte / cafe25 March 2018
Been working here for almost 5 years. Have learnt a lot from this place and the learning hasnt stopped. Progression has been a part of my career and my subordinates till date. Quality or standards have never been sacrificed which is the most important aspect of any organization which makes me proud to be part of this amazing journey i am in.
It's not for everyone but if someone who is passionate and very driven in life will succeed in this atmosphere as we are very particular about everything I will say detail oriented.
Great family very hands on down to earth treats us like family.
Will love to see more people coming in and joining our journey towards a great future.
Pros
Great place wonderful opportunity to learn and grow within
Cons
There is nothing apart from the location but as we know it's a resort
Would personally look elsewhere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON21 March 2018
It's unfortunate that the ratings on here will be skewed as HR asks current employees to write 4/5 star reviews to boost their overall ratings when they get too low...
Pros
Will meet some wonderful people
Cons
Will watch all those wonderful people come and go
Love Love Love it !!!
Server (Former Employee) –  cabin/babbo20 March 2018
Best Managers, very approachable takes good care of their staff. In my 4 months of working in cabin/babbo , I loved it and it was so much fun. I wish i could stay more longer but I had to leave for personal reasons.
Its a great place to work and grown within
All over (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON16 March 2018
I have been at Hockley for about 5 years and i love it here! Everyone is super friendly and helpful to one another and the owners treat you like family.

I have been given some great opportunities to learn many aspects of the resort. If you are willing to learn they will teach you.

They were very accommodating while i was juggling school and work, they gave me as many and as little hours as i requested.

Overall its a great place to work whether your in school or making a career out it there is something for all.
Pros
Your appreciated, Friendly staff, You learn so much.
Its a great place to work and grown within
All over (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON16 March 2018

Pros
Your appreciated, Friendly staff, You learn so much.
Quality driven, exciting and productive winery!
Winery Staff (Current Employee) –  Adamo Estate Winery9 March 2018
Adamo Estate Winery is a fantastic place to work. There is always something new going on. This is a quality driven winery that has fantastic wine, food and learning! The staff is very hardworking, sometimes with long hours, but with a great attitude and lots of fun. There is always a new wine to taste or a unique group of people to host, which keeps the job interesting and gives you the opportunity to learn new skills. All the staff members are a team and have each others backs, this includes management. The owners are also very supportive and passionate about the winery. The job can be physically demanding at times, so being fit is a benefit for this work environment. The people (and the wine) is what makes this job great!
Great Environment!
Various (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON9 March 2018
Working for Hockley Valley Resort is a pleasure. The team environment demonstrated here is one of the best I have ever encountered in all my years of working. Everyone works together to ensure that each team and team member succeeds in their given role. Management and ownership demonstrate a kind, fair and understanding level of leadership which is refreshing and encouraging. I always feel appreciated and encouraged in my current role and feel confident saying this is a great place to work.
Expected to work 24/7
Banquet and Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON3 March 2018
I worked for hockley valley and the hours are crazy managment is expected to work exteme long hours i worked minimum of 12 hours and usually 6 days a week. When i asked about lou time for all of the hours i was informed we dont do that...if you want a life dont work here.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Extremely long hours illegal practaces
Not my favorite job
Front Desk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON16 February 2018
The place is beautiful but it was not my favorite job.
I met a lot of wonderful people while working at Hockley but the management at the resort was not good.
Everyone is expendable.
Server (Former Employee) –  Hockley, ON13 February 2018
I barely had training and was expected to just figure it out. Seems to be a Hockley standard...every other employee said it was the same for them. No one seems to be happy to work there other than the higher ups...
Would not recommend working there to anyone!
Productive and fun workplace where you can acquire new serving skills
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2017
During my time at Hockley I'd have to say that the staff are some of the nicest people I've met/worked with. Everyone acts as a team, including management, and the work always gets done. The food has always been amazing, which is always made by our highly skilled chefs. There are so many things that make Hockley a trip worth taking, for example our spa, restaurant, Adama Winery, and much more.
Pros
Free meals, good music, great staff, etc.
Cons
Long hours, working weekends, etc.
Love Hockley Valley Resort!
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON1 September 2017
I have been with the resort for just over 6 years now and truly call this my home. Hockley is a family owned/operated facility and having worked within corporations in the past, I can absolutely say without hesitation the amount of care and attention that exists is the reason I have stayed. Along with my primary department I have also assisted in numerous other departments including golf, food and beverage outlets and front desk. The owners are friendly, approachable and fair - they listen and make decisions that will benefit the business and the team. Hospitality is an industry with numerous growth and opportunity and I have witnessed that countless times here at the resort. The culture of employee development is something I believe strongly in and have benefited from directly.
There will always be disgruntled past employees who write negatively about their employers but what you read is not always the truth and if you are passionate about hospitality, love the idea of facility benefits (ski, golf, spa!) and growth, this is the perfect spot to be!
Pros
Golf, Spa, Ski discounts! Amazing food, great relationships with other employees and repeat guests/clients
Fantastic place to work
GSA (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON23 August 2017
I can not say enough good things about my experience at HVR. The owners are awesome to work for. If you are a hard worker and enjoy working in hospitality this is a great place for you to work with lots of career development opportunities. The environment is amazing, the staff are great; just an overall great place to work.
Pros
free ski & golf, meals, career development
Do not work at this place
Worker (Former Employee) –  Mono Road, ON21 August 2017
If you are desperate, then work for this company. I have seen good people hired, worked like a dog, and then fired for no reason. HR works for owners NOT staff. Pathetic. RUn for the hills people. They make you sign a piece of paper that you agree to work 12 hours if necessary. Gratuities always a hassle. Management takes 30% of your tips.
Pros
free food
Cons
You are expendable! They will fire you at any time. The catering chef is a you know what...
Management over works staff for little pay.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON26 May 2017
What a horrible place to work. Management steals your tips because the owners pay peanuts and then supplements their pay with servers tips. There is no respect for staff unless you are a pretty young woman who doesn't mind being touched and flirted with. Male servers especially don't waste your time applying here. Management is very unprofessional and will treat you like dirt while allowing other staff to break the rules whenever they like. The tip pool is a joke and who gets what is never explained. It's all very shady, especially since management takes 35% of your tips (not a tip out since the people who deserve to get tipped out get nothing). If you are a professional server or bartender don't bother working here since you will not be treated with the respect you deserve.
Pros
The drive to work was beautiful.
Cons
Too many to explain how these amateurs operate
Ever changing, family environment, fast pace
Steward (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON26 April 2017
Absolutely loved working here because of my coworkers. The Chef's and other dishwashers gave the resort a family feel. The work was often fast pace and you have to keep up with organization and be team efficient. While my peers were fun and organized, management was often scatter brained and they refused to give me a promotion because I was leaving in the fall for school so they considered it unnecessary. However, I was still treated like a supervisor required to restock, order chemicals and supplies, train new staff, discipline current staff and more, while receiving the same pay as other workers. It ultimately led to the team feeling frustrated having to listen to someone who was their equal, and it created a difficult working environment.

available shifts are morning and night shift. morning shift works 8am to 430pm, night shift works 4pm until everything is complete. night shift ranges between 7-15 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Disfunctional managed company with little concern for emploies.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON15 March 2017
I worked a few years watching so many people quit or get canned for reasons that always come back to the company. If you are experienced worker with good work etheric it will not take long to discern there are problems here. The pay is minimal yet and duties change at will, the sales are treated well to keep them happy but workers treated poorly. Do not expect any raises even if they are agreed upon in advance.
Many of your co-workers will help the day go by but there will not be any bonuses, perks, benefits or long term gains. Known problems are not addressed affecting both customers and employee yet this is common practice at HVR. Sad management keeps patting themselves on the back and yet not managing,
Avoid this place like the plague. There are not enough pros verses cons at this workplace.
Pros
Some good people are working here
Cons
Far too many to out shine the pros. Start here at your own risk!

Comment – 20 March 2017

This is a harsh review but biased on / by a career minded employee. For a first summer job it may be suited to you. My guess is that 85% of all employees have worked there for less then 3 years overall. Don't give away a job to join this outfit as blind sided events and hour reductions happen often. I started salary and ended hourly and never a raise in pay. (Dose this sound like a place to be?)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hockley Valley Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

Hockley Valley Resort Reviews by Location