Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews

Excellent management
Snowmaker (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON5 May 2019
Hockley Valley Resort had excellent management and overall great place to be employed at. I learned many valuable skills while working for this resort that I will always have with me.
Best 3.5 years of my Life
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON18 April 2019
Great place, Amazing Head Chef(s) and Good supportive Senior Management. It was one of the most difficult decision to leave hockley however I left because of my personal reasons but if in case the circumstances changes in the future, I would join back in a heartbeat.

The staff here are just fantastic, positive, caring and most importantly respectful/humble.

No place is perfect but one thing I can say that for sure is that is Hockley is far better than the most elite places I have worked before. Give it a try :)
Overall worst place to Work
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON30 March 2019
WORST KITCHEN MANAGEMENT. Worst place to work in Ontario. Chefs will show you that they are much more qualified but they know their truth too. Somehow good place to learn new things but just once because similar things get variations in every different seasonal menus. You dont need experience to work here as Chefs wont listen you and disgrace you with word ‘OLD SCHOOL’ . They cant terminate you as always shortage of staff. Sometimes have to track your hours , they are very good in cutting pay od your hours. Employees need to do proper research before join here .
Pros
Cons
Hours, Mangement
fun workplace with a great work culture
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON16 February 2019
- the hardest part of the job is being out in the cold for 3 hours at a time
- the management (aka. ski operations) is great to work with
- workplace culture is fun and every employee feels welcomed like a family
- most enjoyable part of the job is some of the employees, the music, and the adorable ski school kids
Fun workplace ❤️
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON8 January 2019
Working at the resort has been an amazing experience. The staff are amazing! The work is hard but worth it to see the end results. The chef's work to the bone to make sure the food is perfect for the guests. The managers are very professional and understanding to everyone's needs.if there are any issues with anything, communication isn't a problem ,most people who leave this job forget that communication is key and bottle up feelings and quit. All the managers want to help and will work with staff to insure a positive work experience ❤️

❤️Love this team❤️
Pros
Free lunches amazing staff, pool, gym
Cons
I worked for nine hours straight with no break
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON10 December 2018
they don't even clean the dishes properly its disgusting
I ended lifting tables twice my size to set up a display for the chef
I moved pizzas (not in job description lol)
Everyone was complaining about how awful it was
I did not get proper training
Chefs and waiter(esses) were rude
I cried at the end of that shift
truly awful work environment
promised me i'd start at 5 but then said i had to start at 3
definitely under paid
Cons
No breaks
Very poorly run
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON28 November 2018
I absolutely loved my team and people I worked with. There are so many good people who get hired but no one stays. Employee retention is such a huge issue here. No matter who you are staring from servers to managers etc etc will be treated with extreme disrespect. It's a very food and beverage focused resort so their executive chef and the head chef of the control a lot of things especially for people who are looking to be hire in f&b and instead of being a good leader the both the top tier chefs are rude,obnoxious and unprofessional. I don't think anyone who works there knows what work life balance even means. Try and stay away from the place.
Pros
Few good staff
Cons
Unprofessional, rude and no regards to employee retention.
Great place to work at!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mono Mills, ON11 October 2018
So many opportunities to learn new things and grow within. Place will definitely grow you as a better professional. Management accommodates to your needs and the staff in the other departments are very friendly!
Worst company to work for formal employees
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON20 September 2018
Very disorganized don’t no how to properly trained there staff worst company to work for wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there employees get treated poorly
Bad company to work for
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON3 September 2018
Owners yell at employees in front of guests. You can never work long enough or do enough for this company . Turn over is, and always has been high because the owners rake in the money while paying low wages, work their employees to the bone while not appreciating them. RUN, don’t walk away from this job.
Pros
Cons
Works every holiday including Christmas, very low wages, no respect or appreciation from owners.
Good food, poor everything else.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON18 July 2018
Place runs very sketchy practices. Management takes 35% of server/bartender tips to supplement back of house’s hourly wages. You’ll never know where or what tips you do get are from. Hours and days are long. HR works for the owners, not the staff. Any issue you may have will never be resolved and if you create or cause issue they don’t like, they’ll force you to quit. They don’t fire often there because then they’d have to pay termination or severance. They just stop scheduling you or make your life so miserable that you’ll quit. Take advantage of the good, dedicated employees. Turn over is high, in my less than a year there, I had more than 5 managers go through, each treated more poorly than the last.
Pros
Food is good, created and plated by professionals
Cons
Everything else.
Fun job if you're working in ski
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON2 June 2018
I had the time of my life working in the ski department but while I was working as a room attendant/public area cleaner it was very sketchy. The job didn't feel safe for someone my age and the hours were way too long for a high school student. I had to work till 11 nights I had the school the next day. The job itself was not too bad (not appropriate for the 15-year-old they hired and pretty disgusting) but it was livable. Management was great in both jobs. The hours were again way too long for a full-time student and there were some parts of the job that I feel were not appropriate for a minor to do ex. cleaning up in the bar after drunk people. There is one thing I will miss though and that's the view, Hockley Valley Resort is a beautiful place to stay and work.
Pros
Free lunches in ski
Cons
Long hours in housekeeping
Unique Workplace - Great Work Ethics - wonderful culture
Executive Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON22 April 2018
Great place to be where All Staff takes a lot of pride in what they do. It shows in the guest feedback.
I have worked in upwards of 7 corporate Hotels 4 countries and Hockley valley by far is the best place I have worked.
Management has a great sense of Urgency with a Open door Policy. Always willing to help and tackle any situation with utmost patience and generosity.
I have learned a lot here and was successful in building a strong team with very talented Chefs. Who genuinely care and cook with their hearts and always working to grow And Learn.
Pros
Free food, Staff Accomodation, Golf, Ski and Free use of Gymnasium
Great Resort, Great People
Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON21 April 2018
I was a marketing and social media intern over the winter season and cannot say enough good things about the people and the experiences I have had here. Extremely busy environment, always plenty of projects on the go but always lots to do and see. Everyone I came into contact with was more then happy to assist me with the projects I was working on as well as conducted themselves very professionally. Management at the resort was very friendly and professional as well, if something isn't done to a specific standard, only conductive criticism is used and the situation is approached as an opportunity to learn. I highly recommend working at the Hockley Valley Resort if you are able to keep up with a fast but enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Learn a lot about customer service, problem solving and plenty of hands on work experience in the field of Hospitality.
Wonderful people to work with!!!!
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON31 March 2018
This place gave me so much! This is so far best place I have ever worked!
So many opportunities to learn new things and grow within. Chefs here are very helpful. Place will definitely grow you as a better professional.
Pros
Free food, Good Money, amazing co-workers, good working habitat.
Cons
sometimes you have to work on saturdays.
Amazing place learning and progress never stops
Winery / ala carte Chef (Current Employee) –  Alacarte / cafe25 March 2018
Been working here for almost 5 years. Have learnt a lot from this place and the learning hasnt stopped. Progression has been a part of my career and my subordinates till date. Quality or standards have never been sacrificed which is the most important aspect of any organization which makes me proud to be part of this amazing journey i am in.
It's not for everyone but if someone who is passionate and very driven in life will succeed in this atmosphere as we are very particular about everything I will say detail oriented.
Great family very hands on down to earth treats us like family.
Will love to see more people coming in and joining our journey towards a great future.
Pros
Great place wonderful opportunity to learn and grow within
Cons
There is nothing apart from the location but as we know it's a resort
Would personally look elsewhere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON21 March 2018
It's unfortunate that the ratings on here will be skewed as HR asks current employees to write 4/5 star reviews to boost their overall ratings when they get too low...
Pros
Will meet some wonderful people
Cons
Will watch all those wonderful people come and go
Its a great place to work and grown within
All over (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON16 March 2018
I have been at Hockley for about 5 years and i love it here! Everyone is super friendly and helpful to one another and the owners treat you like family.

I have been given some great opportunities to learn many aspects of the resort. If you are willing to learn they will teach you.

They were very accommodating while i was juggling school and work, they gave me as many and as little hours as i requested.

Overall its a great place to work whether your in school or making a career out it there is something for all.
Pros
Your appreciated, Friendly staff, You learn so much.
Its a great place to work and grown within
All over (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON16 March 2018

Pros
Your appreciated, Friendly staff, You learn so much.
Busy, Busy, Busy
Kitchen Steward (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON9 March 2018
While I wasn't there for the longest time (only a couple months), I must say I enjoyed myself. Sure washing the same dishes 20 times in a night can get a little annoying, but hey, what can you do. My coworkers were fun and the staff was pretty friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hockley Valley Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

Hockley Valley Resort Reviews by Location