Hockley Valley Resort

Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews

Canada68 reviews
Is both slow and fast paced, I enjoy working here but when an employee comes back for a second or third season they should be given a raise
All in all it’s a great fun experience and fun to work here. Customers can be rather rude but you get customers who were amazing as well you’ll get it everywhere you work. They have amazing work Perks but also need to alternate with everyone shift so some people who work full-time can also get weekends off as well. Especially if you have been there for a second or third season you should also offer these good employees a little bit of a raise
So much fun
Absolutely loved Hockley Valley Resort! I worked at the Front desk and Reservation area! They were my second family and they have the best personalities and team work. If there was an issue then as a team we would work together to solve that issue. If I needed time off for personal reasons or vacation my Managers would sympathize and understand and were more than happy to give me that time off. The shifts are split evenly to ensure everyone is happy. I wish I didn't leave Hockley, I would have still been there if I didn't go off to school.
Needs to be shut down
The housekeeping department is run by a bunch of morons. They try to make people drive when the roads are closed, management is a joke. They have no idea what they are doing. Hours are insane and the pay is minimal. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Horrible
Treated unfairly, no willingness to work around people, did not care about adding to workload when it was impossible to handle what was already on it.
Awful
The dont pay overtime the hours are terrible and the management is atrocious. Choose mcdonalds over this place. The turn over rate is so high for a reason.
Great place to work!
Working at the resort is fun and interesting! It's a busy place to work but we all work together. I've been here over 5 years and have seen a lot of change, but the current company culture and teamwork approach is at an all-time high. The support and encouragement provided by management is complemented by a genuine open-door policy. I would recommend working here!
challenging scratch kitchen, good to have a solid foundation.
all year round working environment, golf, ski, weddings and corporate banquets, fine dining restaurant, and winery tapas restaurant.
lots of expansions and room to grow.
Horrible work environment
My experience at Hockley was extremely unsatisfying. Management team only cares for themselves and their own bonuses. Long hours, no pay increases & added responsibility but will not be compensation Also exposed to unsanitary work conditions in restaurants and forced to keep quiet. When issues are raised to the management team, they dismiss you and belittle your concerns. I would not recommend anyone to work here as there are better opportunities elsewhere
New Management, New Ideas, Great Comraderie
Four season resort, always something new to promote. Great changes in management has developed good team spirit.

There's no shortage of work to be done in our department, but we have fun doing it. Exciting property to market with much to offer.

The company gives back to the community through donations to the Food Bank, Headwaters Hospital, Family Transition Place and Bethell Hospice.

They are one of the largest employers of Dufferin County with over 200 seasonal team workers added during the ski season.

Hard work and dedication is acknowledged and rewarded.
Im assuming each department is different to work under so my review takes into consideration the direct management in the department and the owners
The owners of this estate are greedy. They make it extremely difficult for staff to want to advance because they don't respond well to complaints and they want to make as much money as possible, anywhere they can.
Example: if working in the bar/restaurant, 35% of your debit and credit tips are taken away from you as the house keeps it as 'their share'
Awful place to work
You work long hours with no break . They take advantage of you and you never get appreciated by management. They tell you, you are replaceable. The kitchen runs the resort what they say goes . Lots of illegal practices here. Chefs would often not give us food although it’s apart of our contract. If there was food it’s left overs from days ago. Management talks badly about staff to other staff. Overall a terrible place to work . The amount of staff I’ve seen come and go is crazy . The people
Still working There don’t want to be there anymore .
Don’t waste your time!
I worked there for 3 years total. I started as a waitress and progressed to Restaurant supervisor. I worked very hard and dedicated a lot of my time to this place to make sure managements high standards were always met. You will never get appreciation from management, and your efforts will never been good enough. The extra hours you put in will go unrecognized. During my time here, I’ve seen about 20 managers come and go.
Don’t apply here!
Terrible management
You will get hired as full time but won’t get full time hours. You’ll be lucky to get 30hours a week

Management will change your schedule and won’t inform you about it

They will yell and talk down to you ALOT. Also bash you to other ppl

If you go on any sort of leave don’t expect to get your job back once your able to return back to work

I could keep going but I’d run out of room to type

All in all this is the worst place to work
Horrid.
They fired me 3 days after my mom fell down the stairs and was hospitalized because I had to take time off.
This place has horrid managers who let people get away with everything. Like coloring on shift.

It's a childish. Low paying job with no real benefits of any kind.

If you want a discount on food, work anywhere else. They are horrible people to be around. Always negative
Never a dull moment
Working here has taught me a lot. Especially since this is the field I plan on pursuing for my career. I enjoy coming to work and collaborating with great people and helpful managers. Yes, there are days when work can be stressful, but that is the norm for this industry. What Hockley offers is a great company culture and strong team, so that when those days come, you feel supported.
Pros
The people and the staff meals
Cons
Not knowing when your shift will end
Asss
Do you enjoy doing arduous work that isn’t in your job description? Never knowing what time your shift will end? How about rolling tables around the resort at 2 in the morning?
If so, then this place is right for you!

Seriously though, the 17/h and good friendships are not worth the mental and physical exhaustion you’ll face. There are much better opportunities out there for you.
Save yourself the trouble
Working here was so stressful. The management had a culture that really made you feel replaceable. The HR department made huge errors and lost good employees because of it. Employee morale is so low it was like walking into a funeral home, not a resort. The pay was so low and the job was boring. Any time I went above and beyond it was shot down by someone in management . The turnover is so high it’s a huge sign to stay away. There are a lot of places in the area, try something else first!
Wouldn't recomend working here
The staff here are extremely overworked, 100% replaceable and definitely made to feel that way. The pay is very low for what is expected of you and there are no benefits. Staff are not valued and not paid what they are worth
based on their experience or yrs of service. Turnover is very, very high and the morale is extremely low. This place sucks the life out of their employees.
Productive workplace
A great place to work as a cook or chef, as they have multiple kitchen types; banquet, restaurant, pastry and winery kitchens, which give you even more to learn from as a new cook.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Beautiful Place, Run poorly/disorganized!
I worked for Hockley Valley Resort for 2 years. Inconsistent rules/regulations, unfair pay, with no increase after an 'Excellent' yearly evaluation. No increases at all! Management not on top of: disciplining late employees, the wearing of proper uniforms, ensuring everyone completes their responsibilities, allowing other associates to pick up the slack, instead of ensuring TEAM WORK, and more. Such a beautiful place, but it is not managed well! I DO NOT recommend anyone to work here.
Horrible place to work
Nothing is worse at hockley than the management or the Human Resources department. You have your good workers and management and than you have the ones that don’t care about their employees or the guests what’s so ever. If I can recommend anything it’s to stay as far away from this workplace all together, as a guests and employee. They will work you to the point of exhaustion and not even bat an eye. Back to back shifts with out a break.
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hockley Valley Resort. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8