Hockley Valley Resort Employee Reviews

Great place to work at!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mono Mills, ON11 October 2018
So many opportunities to learn new things and grow within. Place will definitely grow you as a better professional. Management accommodates to your needs and the staff in the other departments are very friendly!
Worst company to work for formal employees
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON20 September 2018
Very disorganized don’t no how to properly trained there staff worst company to work for wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there employees get treated poorly
Bad company to work for
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON3 September 2018
Owners yell at employees in front of guests. You can never work long enough or do enough for this company . Turn over is, and always has been high because the owners rake in the money while paying low wages, work their employees to the bone while not appreciating them. RUN, don’t walk away from this job.
Pros
Cons
Works every holiday including Christmas, very low wages, no respect or appreciation from owners.
Good food, poor everything else.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON18 July 2018
Place runs very sketchy practices. Management takes 35% of server/bartender tips to supplement back of house’s hourly wages. You’ll never know where or what tips you do get are from. Hours and days are long. HR works for the owners, not the staff. Any issue you may have will never be resolved and if you create or cause issue they don’t like, they’ll force you to quit. They don’t fire often there because then they’d have to pay termination or severance. They just stop scheduling you or make your life so miserable that you’ll quit. Take advantage of the good, dedicated employees. Turn over is high, in my less than a year there, I had more than 5 managers go through, each treated more poorly than the last.
Pros
Food is good, created and plated by professionals
Cons
Everything else.
Unique Workplace - Great Work Ethics - wonderful culture
Executive Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON22 April 2018
Great place to be where All Staff takes a lot of pride in what they do. It shows in the guest feedback.
I have worked in upwards of 7 corporate Hotels 4 countries and Hockley valley by far is the best place I have worked.
Management has a great sense of Urgency with a Open door Policy. Always willing to help and tackle any situation with utmost patience and generosity.
I have learned a lot here and was successful in building a strong team with very talented Chefs. Who genuinely care and cook with their hearts and always working to grow And Learn.
Pros
Free food, Staff Accomodation, Golf, Ski and Free use of Gymnasium
Great Resort, Great People
Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Hockley Valley, ON21 April 2018
I was a marketing and social media intern over the winter season and cannot say enough good things about the people and the experiences I have had here. Extremely busy environment, always plenty of projects on the go but always lots to do and see. Everyone I came into contact with was more then happy to assist me with the projects I was working on as well as conducted themselves very professionally. Management at the resort was very friendly and professional as well, if something isn't done to a specific standard, only conductive criticism is used and the situation is approached as an opportunity to learn. I highly recommend working at the Hockley Valley Resort if you are able to keep up with a fast but enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Learn a lot about customer service, problem solving and plenty of hands on work experience in the field of Hospitality.
Wonderful people to work with!!!!
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON31 March 2018
This place gave me so much! This is so far best place I have ever worked!
So many opportunities to learn new things and grow within. Chefs here are very helpful. Place will definitely grow you as a better professional.
Pros
Free food, Good Money, amazing co-workers, good working habitat.
Cons
sometimes you have to work on saturdays.
Amazing place learning and progress never stops
Winery / ala carte Chef (Current Employee) –  Alacarte / cafe25 March 2018
Been working here for almost 5 years. Have learnt a lot from this place and the learning hasnt stopped. Progression has been a part of my career and my subordinates till date. Quality or standards have never been sacrificed which is the most important aspect of any organization which makes me proud to be part of this amazing journey i am in.
It's not for everyone but if someone who is passionate and very driven in life will succeed in this atmosphere as we are very particular about everything I will say detail oriented.
Great family very hands on down to earth treats us like family.
Will love to see more people coming in and joining our journey towards a great future.
Pros
Great place wonderful opportunity to learn and grow within
Cons
There is nothing apart from the location but as we know it's a resort
Would personally look elsewhere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON21 March 2018
It's unfortunate that the ratings on here will be skewed as HR asks current employees to write 4/5 star reviews to boost their overall ratings when they get too low...
Pros
Will meet some wonderful people
Cons
Will watch all those wonderful people come and go
Love Love Love it !!!
Server (Former Employee) –  cabin/babbo20 March 2018
Best Managers, very approachable takes good care of their staff. In my 4 months of working in cabin/babbo , I loved it and it was so much fun. I wish i could stay more longer but I had to leave for personal reasons.
Its a great place to work and grown within
All over (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON16 March 2018
I have been at Hockley for about 5 years and i love it here! Everyone is super friendly and helpful to one another and the owners treat you like family.

I have been given some great opportunities to learn many aspects of the resort. If you are willing to learn they will teach you.

They were very accommodating while i was juggling school and work, they gave me as many and as little hours as i requested.

Overall its a great place to work whether your in school or making a career out it there is something for all.
Pros
Your appreciated, Friendly staff, You learn so much.
Its a great place to work and grown within
All over (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON16 March 2018

Pros
Your appreciated, Friendly staff, You learn so much.
Quality driven, exciting and productive winery!
Winery Staff (Current Employee) –  Adamo Estate Winery9 March 2018
Adamo Estate Winery is a fantastic place to work. There is always something new going on. This is a quality driven winery that has fantastic wine, food and learning! The staff is very hardworking, sometimes with long hours, but with a great attitude and lots of fun. There is always a new wine to taste or a unique group of people to host, which keeps the job interesting and gives you the opportunity to learn new skills. All the staff members are a team and have each others backs, this includes management. The owners are also very supportive and passionate about the winery. The job can be physically demanding at times, so being fit is a benefit for this work environment. The people (and the wine) is what makes this job great!
Busy, Busy, Busy
Kitchen Steward (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON9 March 2018
While I wasn't there for the longest time (only a couple months), I must say I enjoyed myself. Sure washing the same dishes 20 times in a night can get a little annoying, but hey, what can you do. My coworkers were fun and the staff was pretty friendly.
Great Environment!
Various (Current Employee) –  Mono, ON9 March 2018
Working for Hockley Valley Resort is a pleasure. The team environment demonstrated here is one of the best I have ever encountered in all my years of working. Everyone works together to ensure that each team and team member succeeds in their given role. Management and ownership demonstrate a kind, fair and understanding level of leadership which is refreshing and encouraging. I always feel appreciated and encouraged in my current role and feel confident saying this is a great place to work.
Expected to work 24/7
Banquet and Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON3 March 2018
I worked for hockley valley and the hours are crazy managment is expected to work exteme long hours i worked minimum of 12 hours and usually 6 days a week. When i asked about lou time for all of the hours i was informed we dont do that...if you want a life dont work here.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Extremely long hours illegal practaces
Not my favorite job
Front Desk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mono, ON16 February 2018
The place is beautiful but it was not my favorite job.
I met a lot of wonderful people while working at Hockley but the management at the resort was not good.
Everyone is expendable.
Server (Former Employee) –  Hockley, ON13 February 2018
I barely had training and was expected to just figure it out. Seems to be a Hockley standard...every other employee said it was the same for them. No one seems to be happy to work there other than the higher ups...
Would not recommend working there to anyone!
Productive and fun workplace where you can acquire new serving skills
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2017
During my time at Hockley I'd have to say that the staff are some of the nicest people I've met/worked with. Everyone acts as a team, including management, and the work always gets done. The food has always been amazing, which is always made by our highly skilled chefs. There are so many things that make Hockley a trip worth taking, for example our spa, restaurant, Adama Winery, and much more.
Pros
Free meals, good music, great staff, etc.
Cons
Long hours, working weekends, etc.
Love Hockley Valley Resort!
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON1 September 2017
I have been with the resort for just over 6 years now and truly call this my home. Hockley is a family owned/operated facility and having worked within corporations in the past, I can absolutely say without hesitation the amount of care and attention that exists is the reason I have stayed. Along with my primary department I have also assisted in numerous other departments including golf, food and beverage outlets and front desk. The owners are friendly, approachable and fair - they listen and make decisions that will benefit the business and the team. Hospitality is an industry with numerous growth and opportunity and I have witnessed that countless times here at the resort. The culture of employee development is something I believe strongly in and have benefited from directly.
There will always be disgruntled past employees who write negatively about their employers but what you read is not always the truth and if you are passionate about hospitality, love the idea of facility benefits (ski, golf, spa!) and growth, this is the perfect spot to be!
Pros
Golf, Spa, Ski discounts! Amazing food, great relationships with other employees and repeat guests/clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hockley Valley Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

Hockley Valley Resort Reviews by Location