HMSHost
Information from HMSHost:

HMSHost Employee Reviews for Barista

Barista16 reviews
Canada16 reviews
management is amazing and fair.

i've enjoyed working with them. They always care about your health and stability.

It's important to note that they do treat all their employees like family as well.
The managers at hms are overall not great. Some of them are excellent but most of them are pretty bad. Because of bad managers we are always understaffed. Besides management, you need to be able to stand for 8 hours straight and able to memorize multiple drinks.
Almost entire morning til lunch time are busy hours. Either you're working on a weekday or weekend.

Working on this company was my first time to do cash-handling which was fun and exciting.

I like the management. No cons to say especially to my manager there.

Hardest part of the job is one, dealing with customers who are tourists and barely knows English. Another is when tourists try to pay you with their currency money. Yet, I consider meeting tourists from different parts of the world one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. I've made my own customers as well despite that I was there for a short period of time.

I
Pros
Food and merchandise discounts
Did not enjoy working here. Management and staff are very unprofessional. A lot of favoritism in the workplace. Not an enjoyable experience and pleasant experience.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Staff and enviornment
My brand at the Woodstock onroute was severely understaffed for over a year, and most of the staff there seemed like they had no education at all , and couldn’t do simple tasks like cleaning.

Management didn’t care, unless they got in trouble which was like never.
Pros
Free food on break
Cons
Understaffed, bad management
Management was terrible, they don't care if you have to pull a 12 hour shift without any breaks. There was never enough people on the floor to give customers what they needed and then the customers will yell at you for things not getting done fast enough, but I only have so many arms to work with lol We switched managers four times and they were so ridiculously ill-mannered and had no people skills, let alone stocking supplies and re-ordering them. They forced us to use expired milk and use other milk instead of the one the customer asked for, ex. if the customer wanted skim we would have to use 2% and we never had a say or we would get yelled at or in return get no shifts.
Pros
Cons
Extremely long hours, management, rules that are against the law
at HMS host everyday is different but always fast paced. you'll have to understand how to deal with rude costumers... and the drama that comes with the employees you work with not all the time. most or all staff is over worked. management is okay, depends.. and the training is alright they do try to teach you the basics but learning all the drinks in a couples shifts can be difficult when its busy. over-all its a friendly work environment and we are short staff so we don't get a lot of shift availability
Pros
10 dollars off your lunch when on 30 minute break, you don't need to punch out for your 10 minute break, 20% off merchandise and food when not working
Cons
where it is located isn't convenient for anyone, you must punch out for your 30 minute breaks
Time flies here, there's always something to do which I liked. I learned lots about food and beverage and enjoyed working in the coffee culture. The managers were all very nice and easy to talk too. Hardest part of the job was scheduling, having to every Saturday and Sunday seemed unfair, especially when you have weekday availability, not the best work life balance. You gain great job experience here, and the hard work does pay off.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Scheduling
Busy, fast-paced environment. Learned how to do requisition orders and inventory for multiple stores. Cash handeling. Meet interesting people from around the world.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
long hours, early/late hours
Good team work
New Experience

Enjoyable place

Hard work

Safe place

Great Environment

I loved to work there because I learned new things everyday. I learned how to make new drinks.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HMSHost?
Typical day at work is good
I have learned many communication skills

management is poor

co workers are great

the hardest part of the job, short staff

the most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with customers
Pros
accommodate hours
Cons
poor management
Fun place to work at.They expect you to work at other restaurants too. The management is very poor, as well as communication between colleagues.
no part time hours
not flexible

stress full

non team environment

no one ever is in a good mood

language barriers (people speak in different languages in front of you including managers making one feel unwelcome )
I enjoyed meeting new people . I am more open. The hardest part was when I have to prepare 6 sandwiches while serving other things such as: cookies, muffins and tea. Hopefully, I had my coworker so I was not alone.
I really like working at HMS HOST Starbucks because its a really fun place to work at. There is 6 starbucks at the YYC airport so I get to work in all of them which is so entertaining, that way I can gain more customer service skills and meet new people.
Pros
free lunch
Training from HMS Host for the Barista position is slow & allows you to get familiar with the process of making espresso beverages while also helping customers
Pros
$15 max lunch covered, International Travellers Tip Big
Cons
Management not open to new Ideas