HMSHost Employee Reviews

Fin
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON11 August 2018
It was a fun experience to learn to use all these different ways to clean places, and how to use all the cleaning tools, and I would love to work at an on route again and hope for the same great experience
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long
Horrific
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 August 2018
Management was terrible, they don't care if you have to pull a 12 hour shift without any breaks. There was never enough people on the floor to give customers what they needed and then the customers will yell at you for things not getting done fast enough, but I only have so many arms to work with lol We switched managers four times and they were so ridiculously ill-mannered and had no people skills, let alone stocking supplies and re-ordering them. They forced us to use expired milk and use other milk instead of the one the customer asked for, ex. if the customer wanted skim we would have to use 2% and we never had a say or we would get yelled at or in return get no shifts.
Pros
Cons
Extremely long hours, management, rules that are against the law
Poor Culture, Can’t Retain Staff
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2018
I will give the positives first. This company offers benefits, not many serving positions will see that. You will also have job security here (because they are so short staffed) they supply you with a staff meal and snacks for a very small fee (I think it’s $2.75/shift) some of the supervisors were amazing and the only reason I lasted as long as I did.
Negatives - really terrible culture. Not many people seem happy with their job. Most employees and supervisors talk bad about their coworkers behind their backs. It’s very, very slow most of the time in most of the restaurants, so even at an average of 18% tips, you aren’t making a lot of money.
Management will change your schedule with 48 hours notice without even asking. Management is rude, impersonal and really doesn’t care if people come or go.
I don’t think I have ever been less satisfied with a job in my life.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Takes a long time to walk from the parking lot and go through security, poor tips(due to lack of business), Management, scheduling, culture, slow work environment
Good for part-time.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 June 2018
Good for part-time.
Many Punjabi Indians occupies the whole plaza's which is sometimes annoying since their language is totally different and they don't compromise it even to English.
Not at all fun workplace but room to learn and grow in fast paced work environment but management sucks
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EIA23 May 2018
Terrible Management : they do not listen to your concerns and even if they do listen, management wants you to adapt to the situation, rather than solving any issue, they themselves adapt to the situation where the associate is tardy or skipping work. Rather than showing them work or assigning duties they adapt to that situation and encourages the tardy to continue his/her behaviour as they do not want to be in limelight. Due to this unfair distribution of work and deaf management, people want to leave that place.
Pros
Free lunch, Free parking, shuttle service, Help in immigration status achievement.
Cons
Worst management, Unusual hours, Very Unfair work distribution, Weird schedules.
Easy Going
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 May 2018
Very easy going crew, worked their during high school and the management was good. Lots of friday night shifts and saturday mornings to pick up. Great place to learn the basics of an easy job and fun learning environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Fast pace enviornment with room to grow
Plaza Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 March 2018
Very fast pace environment, tons of areas to grow and learn.
Management is very open with what is needed and expected of each employee, they take the time to teach and help others gain skills.
good experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON10 March 2018
amazing experience but very fast paced, first place i had worked in a long time and they defiantly let me learn at a good pace and gave me time to get into the swing of things!
Terrible
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 March 2018
Worked for Canucks for only a MONTH. First day of my training was terrible , managers were not organized. the person they put in charge to train me was disrespectful , and very unprofessional with the managers knowing her history of her behavior they still went forward in letting her train a new employee. Managers are immature , non understanding , and just overall not suit for a manager position. They looked at the conflict in the restaurant as if it wasnt a big issue. Coworkers there were rude , and inconsiderate. No matter how poor their skills in hospitality were they did not care as long as someone was working that shift. My last day of working i exclaimed to my manager i had a flight to catch the next day , and he put up for argument that i was not able to miss my shift. one of my good coworkers came in the conversation and said she would have no problem with covering my shift for me. i left the room , and my manager told her she could take the shift but he was still gonna make me come in. Proceeding to tell her not to tell me that he wants me to come in when she has already taken the shift. i have worked with restaurants my whole career , and by far canucks bar and grill is the worst place i have ever been employed at.
Pros
money
Cons
no one cares about your work environment
busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 March 2018
I was cashier in Burger King franchised by HMShost my experienced there were good because because I have the opportunity to interact with people in different races and learned so much with them.
Pros
50% off in food
Cons
busy
Fun workplace
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Enfield, NS20 February 2018
Prepping various foods for the restaurants in departures such as chicken,burgers and fish, Making salsa and other sauces. Management is great whereas if we have any issues or need anything they are right there to help.
very amazing company to work for
Assistant F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MD16 January 2018
i really like this company and when i have to relocate because of some family issues i still thinking to find a job in this awesome company
typical day at work is great dealing with my superior
I would not work here again
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 January 2018
The management was rude and lost my pay check. Continuously told me I wasn’t showing up for work on days that I wasn’t booked to work and made me feel like I wasn’t needed on the team. Overall not a nice place to work
Pros
$10 of free food on lunch break
Cons
Bad management
Poorly managed
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2017
Horrible horrible horrible management. Cant begin to describe how bad this company is to work for. Dont do it unless youre willing to get work induced headaches daily. Kitchen standards were pathetic. Poor cleanliness + old broken equipment. Lucky to even see a manager if you have any issues.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
Very Nice People
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON28 December 2017
A typical day at work is busy, full of customers but still manage to be fun with the coworkers you have, i have learned how to do cash and many other stuff and co-ordinated teamwork, management are full of nice people, but they rarely listen to complaints, the workplace is a blast with the right people, there is really no "hard" part of the job it all depends on how many customers you get, and definitely the most enjoyable part and the people around you.
Pros
up to $10 at break for free
Cons
You won't get what you deserve most of the time.
Fun, untraditional place to work at.
Crew Member/ Baker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 September 2017
I loved working at HMSHost, although most of the time i wouldn't really consider it actually working. The managers were on the floor for a minimal amount of time, which would usually leave all of the crew members to try to pick up the slack. Certain managers were extremely rude to customers, and would talk down to them, as well as certain staff. There is mold every other place you look in that building, whether it be the walk in fridges, milk machines, milk crates, etc.
Pros
$10 towards lunch on break, aswell as discounts.
Cons
Managers are lazy, health standards extremely concerning
Stay away
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bainsville, ON18 September 2017
Poor management middle upper and at corporate office, all about the money, do not work for this company. Read the reviews, it's horrible. Dear parents if your kids are even thinking about working there stop and turn run. There are much better places to work. I'm not a crazy disgruntled employee, I gave them many years of dedicated work, I needed the steady pay, but had to leave with all the stuff I was witnessing, hope this gets out there thanks
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, no social life, used
meets expectations
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON18 September 2017
at HMS host everyday is different but always fast paced. you'll have to understand how to deal with rude costumers... and the drama that comes with the employees you work with not all the time. most or all staff is over worked. management is okay, depends.. and the training is alright they do try to teach you the basics but learning all the drinks in a couples shifts can be difficult when its busy. over-all its a friendly work environment and we are short staff so we don't get a lot of shift availability
Pros
10 dollars off your lunch when on 30 minute break, you don't need to punch out for your 10 minute break, 20% off merchandise and food when not working
Cons
where it is located isn't convenient for anyone, you must punch out for your 30 minute breaks
Wow. Just wow.
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 September 2017
Hired as a Food and Beverage Manager and assigned to Tim Hortons. Received zero training in two weeks. The person assigned to train me left for vacation the day I showed up and no one replaced him. I was told to "just wander around" to see how things got done (not the best management training, even for someone experienced in the biz like me). On-site management is severely lacking in any real people management skills (or almost any other management skills, for that matter) and it shows: massive and constant turnover of staff, staff breaking down in tears all the time because they are overworked and stressed to the limit, staff not showing up or calling in for shifts and then being allowed to come back to work when they feel like it. Food safety and brand standards mostly ignored. Filthy restaurant (Tim Hortons). Cost of sales are inflated due to uneccessary waste. Customer service is the worst I have ever seen - ever - and I've been in the business a very long time. Everything about this place is, in a word, chaotic. Unorganized. There are some good people working here, but the lack of training and - at best - mediocre management means it will be extremely difficult to correct all the bad behaviours. I was brought in to help turn things around, but that's hard to do when nobody gives you any tools to work with. And that's a shame because I was looking to embark on a new career path and I feel I had a lot to offer this company. I'm sure there have been others, too. But we've all been chased away. I can't imagine how they can continue like this much longer. The vague and mostly  more... empty promises upper management makes about a supposedly soon-to-be "reinvention" of the business are going to be very difficult to implement.  less
Pros
If things were better organized there might be a real career path, free lunch
Cons
Complete lack of training on all levels, Lack of skilled and motivated management, Lack of vision, Unbelievably stressful working conditions, Overworked and overwhelmed staff, Uninterested and minimally talented management, Long hours, Unfulfilled promises
good place to gain experience
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 August 2017
the day is pretty busy that the time just flies by really, you get to meet a lot of interesting people, I've learned how to manage a large crowd from this job
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No schedules flexibility