HMSHost Employee Reviews

Found 146 reviews matching the search See all 1,672 reviews
Poor management
Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON19 November 2018
We never had enough staff, and sometimes we didn’t even have supervisors! No one was ever happy to show up to work, however everyone bonded over how much they hated it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Everything else
5+ years employed with this dreadful company to get me through school
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON5 November 2018
Thankfully the crew members are welcoming people, but other than that, I would not suggest you work here. Management lacks major education, understanding, and skills (including reading, writing, and spelling!). If you make one mistake they will cut your hours (as punishment) to one short shift per week- despite never having enough staff to fill a whole shift to begin with. You will be expected to do the jobs of 3 people with no incentive- nor appreciation. So expect to get over worked and under paid (while simultaneously being yelled at). Overall this is a very negative environment and if you've never had a job before DO NOT think that the way they run this building is how every employment is going to be... I promise there is better out there! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.
Pros
Free lunch under $10 (half an hour unpaid break only)
Cons
Management, staffing, hours, work load, expectations
Horrible management, understaffed
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON1 November 2018
My brand at the Woodstock onroute was severely understaffed for over a year, and most of the staff there seemed like they had no education at all , and couldn’t do simple tasks like cleaning.

Management didn’t care, unless they got in trouble which was like never.
Pros
Free food on break
Cons
Understaffed, bad management
Awful Management
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 October 2018
The general manager in Barrie location is worst example of management I've ever experienced. He sleeps with employees and had the law showing up at place of employment due to disgruntled spouses. He has no people skills and cannot deal with conflict. He runs and hides if there is any conflict. He allows certain managers to be ignorant to customers and staff and does nothing. Many times employees are outside smoking/vaping while no one at counter while customers wait. Treat employees badly unless in certain management clique. Worst run place to work for. Written up constantly for nonsense while others get away with everything. Embarrassing and head management does nothing.
Pros
On bus lines
Cons
The whole place and most employees
Horrible mangers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2018
Worst experience in my life their is one manger named nerube he sleeps with the co workers and was caught numerous times don’t work at the airport!!!!
Awful management!!
Porter (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 October 2018
The management is definitely a huge issue. Bullying by management at the Barrie Onroute HMS host. Every brand at the Barrie location suffers at hands of management. The most toxic enviroment Ive ever work or been involved in. Head management does nothing to investigate. No gloves are used in food prep ( even head boss doesn't use gloves) cross contamination galore in there. The ONLY time the place is cleaned is when big boss is coming. If they ever did an a proper investigation , the place would be shut down.
Pros
You dont have to work yet still get paid
Cons
Great people with an unlucky work environment
ON N4S 7W8 - Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON6 October 2018
The management are some of the funniest and most level headed people you can work with, but because of where this place is situated, they struggle to find employees. Many factories nearby taking people in with better wages and benefits, no teens really wanna drive out to the highway just for a minimum wage job, and the plaza across the highway takes employees coming from Woodstock.
Poor management and never get your pay right
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 October 2018
HMS Host, when I first started people warned me of the work environment there. Managers were inconsiderate of others, sometimes we wouldn't get a break after we have worked for 6-7 hours, and sometimes we wouldn't get a break at all. Pay was always wrong. For my last pay, I worked for 25 hours that week and I only got paid for 18. Had to complain to get the right pay.

Co-Workers were really nice, understanding. They trained me well. Made sure I was up to date on all the policies, etc.
Do not work here
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ON22 September 2018
Management is the worst. You're taken advantage of, just run, there are better places to work. A lot of favoritism here, if management doesn't like you, there's a target on your back.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Warm and friendly environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton International Airport19 September 2018
Good people and loved working with all of them. It was fun and always meeting new people which was the plus whereas you pick-up lots of golden nuggets that helps you to become a better person everyday.
Restauration
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2018
Bon service. J'ai aimé travailler avec eux. Il y a une belle ambiance entre les employés et les gérants.
Horrible
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
Lack of training, lack of professionalism, office staff yell at each other, poor communication, treat you poorly, expect you to know how to do things with no training.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Everything else
RUN as fast as you can away from this company!!!
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 August 2018
HMS Host treats their employees like they are all expendable . They cannot treat employees with dignity and respect . The airport money is great . But when you need support there is rarely help . They often establish the most useless policies just to add pressure to your already stressful job .
Poor organization , management picks favorites and never has your back when customers get nasty . No accountability for their actions . Will always blame the employee for their screw ups .
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM ! You will regret it .
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Everything else you can imagine
Fin
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON11 August 2018
It was a fun experience to learn to use all these different ways to clean places, and how to use all the cleaning tools, and I would love to work at an on route again and hope for the same great experience
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long
Horrific
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 August 2018
Management was terrible, they don't care if you have to pull a 12 hour shift without any breaks. There was never enough people on the floor to give customers what they needed and then the customers will yell at you for things not getting done fast enough, but I only have so many arms to work with lol We switched managers four times and they were so ridiculously ill-mannered and had no people skills, let alone stocking supplies and re-ordering them. They forced us to use expired milk and use other milk instead of the one the customer asked for, ex. if the customer wanted skim we would have to use 2% and we never had a say or we would get yelled at or in return get no shifts.
Pros
Cons
Extremely long hours, management, rules that are against the law
Fun workplace and time manageable
Cashier, Drive (Former Employee) –  King City, ON7 July 2018
A typical day at work consisted of easy shifts with people that are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when certain rush hours came along making the workplace a little more hectic. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get to know more people and the background of Tim Hortons.
Poor Culture, Can’t Retain Staff
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2018
I will give the positives first. This company offers benefits, not many serving positions will see that. You will also have job security here (because they are so short staffed) they supply you with a staff meal and snacks for a very small fee (I think it’s $2.75/shift) some of the supervisors were amazing and the only reason I lasted as long as I did.
Negatives - really terrible culture. Not many people seem happy with their job. Most employees and supervisors talk bad about their coworkers behind their backs. It’s very, very slow most of the time in most of the restaurants, so even at an average of 18% tips, you aren’t making a lot of money.
Management will change your schedule with 48 hours notice without even asking. Management is rude, impersonal and really doesn’t care if people come or go.
I don’t think I have ever been less satisfied with a job in my life.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Takes a long time to walk from the parking lot and go through security, poor tips(due to lack of business), Management, scheduling, culture, slow work environment
Good for part-time.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 June 2018
Good for part-time.
Many Punjabi Indians occupies the whole plaza's which is sometimes annoying since their language is totally different and they don't compromise it even to English.
Not at all fun workplace but room to learn and grow in fast paced work environment but management sucks
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EIA23 May 2018
Terrible Management : they do not listen to your concerns and even if they do listen, management wants you to adapt to the situation, rather than solving any issue, they themselves adapt to the situation where the associate is tardy or skipping work. Rather than showing them work or assigning duties they adapt to that situation and encourages the tardy to continue his/her behaviour as they do not want to be in limelight. Due to this unfair distribution of work and deaf management, people want to leave that place.
Pros
Free lunch, Free parking, shuttle service, Help in immigration status achievement.
Cons
Worst management, Unusual hours, Very Unfair work distribution, Weird schedules.
Easy Going
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 May 2018
Very easy going crew, worked their during high school and the management was good. Lots of friday night shifts and saturday mornings to pick up. Great place to learn the basics of an easy job and fun learning environment.
Pros
Free lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.