HMSHost Employee Reviews

Found 175 reviews matching the search See all 2,116 reviews
Nice coworkers, Very bad management
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pearson Airport, Toronto18 February 2019
Pro's
I'll start off saying that the people that you might work with are all good, friendly people, language can be a issue at time but everyone will smile at you and make you feel welcome.

Start time was 06:00 & finished no later then 14:30

Con's
Very poor leadership, to many wannabe leaders that have no idea what is going on, in 5 min's was told to do 3 different things by 3 different so called supervisors.

They do not work with in the Ontario labour laws, be warned.

Parking cost $150.00 per month, but then a 20 min train & 15 walk each way.

Lunch room is in the middle of where people are still working.

NO overtime at all.

Staggered days off.
Pros
Nice people to work with & free lunches, start early / end early
Cons
Poor management, underpaid, break labour laws
Not good place.
Barista (Former Employee) –  King City, ON2 February 2019
Did not enjoy working here. Management and staff are very unprofessional. A lot of favoritism in the workplace. Not an enjoyable experience and pleasant experience.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Staff and enviornment
Mentally and physically draining job
Wendy's crew member (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON1 February 2019
I worked at this job to get me through college and it was a horrible experience. The people that run this place do not have proper management skills and are very unprofessional. I was treated like a slave and because I was young and naive I was quickly taken advantage of with scheduling and job duties. Overall this job taught me to be brave in the workforce and learn my rights as an employee. If you really need money and are just trying to get by with school I would not stay longer than 6 months because the environment will have you feeling super demotivated and stressed.
Pros
no free lunches, they make you pay half or usually if employees like you they will give you free food
Cons
LONG hours, and they don't care if you are sick they tell you to work...
Fun
Host (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 January 2019
Always.fun.day.at.work
I.know.everything.about.being.a.host.
i.love.management
i.am.a.host.and.cashier
nothing.is.hard
having.good.people.around.you.and.as.team.at.work
If you need money work here
Customer Sales Representative(Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 December 2018
Nothing interesting to tell about this place. just work what you are told and get paid. You are told to do a lot of work and get paid just a basic salary. work here only if you are in desperate need of money.
its safe in fun working at the airport you don't feel bored because its busy place
Starbucks HMS Host international airport (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 December 2018
its safe place working and fun and enjoying working at HMS host company. I The management they are helpful the hardest part only i experience is to far in my place
Poor management
Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, ON19 November 2018
We never had enough staff, and sometimes we didn’t even have supervisors! No one was ever happy to show up to work, however everyone bonded over how much they hated it.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Everything else
5+ years employed with this dreadful company to get me through school
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON5 November 2018
Thankfully the crew members are welcoming people, but other than that, I would not suggest you work here. Management lacks major education, understanding, and skills (including reading, writing, and spelling!). If you make one mistake they will cut your hours (as punishment) to one short shift per week- despite never having enough staff to fill a whole shift to begin with. You will be expected to do the jobs of 3 people with no incentive- nor appreciation. So expect to get over worked and under paid (while simultaneously being yelled at). Overall this is a very negative environment and if you've never had a job before DO NOT think that the way they run this building is how every employment is going to be... I promise there is better out there! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.
Pros
Free lunch under $10 (half an hour unpaid break only)
Cons
Management, staffing, hours, work load, expectations
Fast Paced
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
Fast paced restaurant with lots of customers. Fun and positive space with lots of tasks to complete. If you do not enjoy speaking not a good job for you
Horrible management, understaffed
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON1 November 2018
My brand at the Woodstock onroute was severely understaffed for over a year, and most of the staff there seemed like they had no education at all , and couldn’t do simple tasks like cleaning.

Management didn’t care, unless they got in trouble which was like never.
Pros
Free food on break
Cons
Understaffed, bad management
Awful Management
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 October 2018
The general manager in Barrie location is worst example of management I've ever experienced. He sleeps with employees and had the law showing up at place of employment due to disgruntled spouses. He has no people skills and cannot deal with conflict. He runs and hides if there is any conflict. He allows certain managers to be ignorant to customers and staff and does nothing. Many times employees are outside smoking/vaping while no one at counter while customers wait. Treat employees badly unless in certain management clique. Worst run place to work for. Written up constantly for nonsense while others get away with everything. Embarrassing and head management does nothing.
Pros
On bus lines
Cons
The whole place and most employees
Awful management!!
Porter (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 October 2018
The management is definitely a huge issue. Bullying by management at the Barrie Onroute HMS host. Every brand at the Barrie location suffers at hands of management. The most toxic enviroment Ive ever work or been involved in. Head management does nothing to investigate. No gloves are used in food prep ( even head boss doesn't use gloves) cross contamination galore in there. The ONLY time the place is cleaned is when big boss is coming. If they ever did an a proper investigation , the place would be shut down.
Pros
You dont have to work yet still get paid
Cons
Great people with an unlucky work environment
ON N4S 7W8 - Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON6 October 2018
The management are some of the funniest and most level headed people you can work with, but because of where this place is situated, they struggle to find employees. Many factories nearby taking people in with better wages and benefits, no teens really wanna drive out to the highway just for a minimum wage job, and the plaza across the highway takes employees coming from Woodstock.
Poor management and never get your pay right
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 October 2018
HMS Host, when I first started people warned me of the work environment there. Managers were inconsiderate of others, sometimes we wouldn't get a break after we have worked for 6-7 hours, and sometimes we wouldn't get a break at all. Pay was always wrong. For my last pay, I worked for 25 hours that week and I only got paid for 18. Had to complain to get the right pay.

Co-Workers were really nice, understanding. They trained me well. Made sure I was up to date on all the policies, etc.
Do not work here
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ON22 September 2018
Management is the worst. You're taken advantage of, just run, there are better places to work. A lot of favoritism here, if management doesn't like you, there's a target on your back.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Warm and friendly environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton International Airport19 September 2018
Good people and loved working with all of them. It was fun and always meeting new people which was the plus whereas you pick-up lots of golden nuggets that helps you to become a better person everyday.
Restauration
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2018
Bon service. J'ai aimé travailler avec eux. Il y a une belle ambiance entre les employés et les gérants.
Horrible
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
Lack of training, lack of professionalism, office staff yell at each other, poor communication, treat you poorly, expect you to know how to do things with no training.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Everything else
RUN as fast as you can away from this company!!!
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC14 August 2018
HMS Host treats their employees like they are all expendable . They cannot treat employees with dignity and respect . The airport money is great . But when you need support there is rarely help . They often establish the most useless policies just to add pressure to your already stressful job .
Poor organization , management picks favorites and never has your back when customers get nasty . No accountability for their actions . Will always blame the employee for their screw ups .
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM ! You will regret it .
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Everything else you can imagine
Fin
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON11 August 2018
It was a fun experience to learn to use all these different ways to clean places, and how to use all the cleaning tools, and I would love to work at an on route again and hope for the same great experience
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.