HMSHost Employee Reviews

Found 134 reviews matching the search See all 1,610 reviews
Awful management!!
Porter (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 October 2018
The management is definitely a huge issue. Bullying by management at the Barrie Onroute HMS host. Every brand at the Barrie location suffers at hands of management. The most toxic enviroment Ive ever work or been involved in. Head management does nothing to investigate. No gloves are used in food prep ( even head boss doesn't use gloves) cross contamination galore in there. The ONLY time the place is cleaned is when big boss is coming. If they ever did an a proper investigation , the place would be shut down.
Pros
You dont have to work yet still get paid
Cons
Poor management and never get your pay right
Snack Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 October 2018
HMS Host, when I first started people warned me of the work environment there. Managers were inconsiderate of others, sometimes we wouldn't get a break after we have worked for 6-7 hours, and sometimes we wouldn't get a break at all. Pay was always wrong. For my last pay, I worked for 25 hours that week and I only got paid for 18. Had to complain to get the right pay.

Co-Workers were really nice, understanding. They trained me well. Made sure I was up to date on all the policies, etc.
Do not work here
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ON22 September 2018
Management is the worst. You're taken advantage of, just run, there are better places to work. A lot of favoritism here, if management doesn't like you, there's a target on your back.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Warm and friendly environment
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton International Airport19 September 2018
Good people and loved working with all of them. It was fun and always meeting new people which was the plus whereas you pick-up lots of golden nuggets that helps you to become a better person everyday.
Restauration
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 September 2018
Bon service. J'ai aimé travailler avec eux. Il y a une belle ambiance entre les employés et les gérants.
Fin
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON11 August 2018
It was a fun experience to learn to use all these different ways to clean places, and how to use all the cleaning tools, and I would love to work at an on route again and hope for the same great experience
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long
Horrific
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 August 2018
Management was terrible, they don't care if you have to pull a 12 hour shift without any breaks. There was never enough people on the floor to give customers what they needed and then the customers will yell at you for things not getting done fast enough, but I only have so many arms to work with lol We switched managers four times and they were so ridiculously ill-mannered and had no people skills, let alone stocking supplies and re-ordering them. They forced us to use expired milk and use other milk instead of the one the customer asked for, ex. if the customer wanted skim we would have to use 2% and we never had a say or we would get yelled at or in return get no shifts.
Pros
Cons
Extremely long hours, management, rules that are against the law
Fun workplace and time manageable
Cashier, Drive (Former Employee) –  King City, ON7 July 2018
A typical day at work consisted of easy shifts with people that are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when certain rush hours came along making the workplace a little more hectic. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get to know more people and the background of Tim Hortons.
Poor Culture, Can’t Retain Staff
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2018
I will give the positives first. This company offers benefits, not many serving positions will see that. You will also have job security here (because they are so short staffed) they supply you with a staff meal and snacks for a very small fee (I think it’s $2.75/shift) some of the supervisors were amazing and the only reason I lasted as long as I did.
Negatives - really terrible culture. Not many people seem happy with their job. Most employees and supervisors talk bad about their coworkers behind their backs. It’s very, very slow most of the time in most of the restaurants, so even at an average of 18% tips, you aren’t making a lot of money.
Management will change your schedule with 48 hours notice without even asking. Management is rude, impersonal and really doesn’t care if people come or go.
I don’t think I have ever been less satisfied with a job in my life.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Takes a long time to walk from the parking lot and go through security, poor tips(due to lack of business), Management, scheduling, culture, slow work environment
Good for part-time.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 June 2018
Good for part-time.
Many Punjabi Indians occupies the whole plaza's which is sometimes annoying since their language is totally different and they don't compromise it even to English.
Not at all fun workplace but room to learn and grow in fast paced work environment but management sucks
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EIA23 May 2018
Terrible Management : they do not listen to your concerns and even if they do listen, management wants you to adapt to the situation, rather than solving any issue, they themselves adapt to the situation where the associate is tardy or skipping work. Rather than showing them work or assigning duties they adapt to that situation and encourages the tardy to continue his/her behaviour as they do not want to be in limelight. Due to this unfair distribution of work and deaf management, people want to leave that place.
Pros
Free lunch, Free parking, shuttle service, Help in immigration status achievement.
Cons
Worst management, Unusual hours, Very Unfair work distribution, Weird schedules.
Easy Going
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 May 2018
Very easy going crew, worked their during high school and the management was good. Lots of friday night shifts and saturday mornings to pick up. Great place to learn the basics of an easy job and fun learning environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Fast pace enviornment with room to grow
Plaza Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON31 March 2018
Very fast pace environment, tons of areas to grow and learn.
Management is very open with what is needed and expected of each employee, they take the time to teach and help others gain skills.
good experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON10 March 2018
amazing experience but very fast paced, first place i had worked in a long time and they defiantly let me learn at a good pace and gave me time to get into the swing of things!
Terrible
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 March 2018
Worked for Canucks for only a MONTH. First day of my training was terrible , managers were not organized. the person they put in charge to train me was disrespectful , and very unprofessional with the managers knowing her history of her behavior they still went forward in letting her train a new employee. Managers are immature , non understanding , and just overall not suit for a manager position. They looked at the conflict in the restaurant as if it wasnt a big issue. Coworkers there were rude , and inconsiderate. No matter how poor their skills in hospitality were they did not care as long as someone was working that shift. My last day of working i exclaimed to my manager i had a flight to catch the next day , and he put up for argument that i was not able to miss my shift. one of my good coworkers came in the conversation and said she would have no problem with covering my shift for me. i left the room , and my manager told her she could take the shift but he was still gonna make me come in. Proceeding to tell her not to tell me that he wants me to come in when she has already taken the shift. i have worked with restaurants my whole career , and by far canucks bar and grill is the worst place i have ever been employed at.
Pros
money
Cons
no one cares about your work environment
busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 March 2018
I was cashier in Burger King franchised by HMShost my experienced there were good because because I have the opportunity to interact with people in different races and learned so much with them.
Pros
50% off in food
Cons
busy
Fun workplace
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Enfield, NS20 February 2018
Prepping various foods for the restaurants in departures such as chicken,burgers and fish, Making salsa and other sauces. Management is great whereas if we have any issues or need anything they are right there to help.
very amazing company to work for
Assistant F&B Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MD16 January 2018
i really like this company and when i have to relocate because of some family issues i still thinking to find a job in this awesome company
typical day at work is great dealing with my superior
I would not work here again
Part time worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 January 2018
The management was rude and lost my pay check. Continuously told me I wasn’t showing up for work on days that I wasn’t booked to work and made me feel like I wasn’t needed on the team. Overall not a nice place to work
Pros
$10 of free food on lunch break
Cons
Bad management
Poorly managed
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2017
Horrible horrible horrible management. Cant begin to describe how bad this company is to work for. Dont do it unless youre willing to get work induced headaches daily. Kitchen standards were pathetic. Poor cleanliness + old broken equipment. Lucky to even see a manager if you have any issues.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.