Hillberg & Berk

Hillberg & Berk Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Place of work that requires patience and good communication skills.
The expectations of the work place don't reflect the salary,

constant changes,

great people ,
19 March 2020
We appreciate you being apart of the Hillberg & Berk team, we also think our company includes some great people! At Hillberg & Berk, we believe in never settling, and are always looking for ways we can improve. If there are areas of your role that you are currently not satisfied with, we encourage you to reach out to your direct leader or you can contact us at inquire@hillbergandberk.com.
You're always being challenged and growing in your role at H&B. You're constantly learning. Lots of development opportunities and stretch assignments. While at times it can feel overwhelming, the lines of communication with management are always open. Everyone pitches in when needed and this results in more learning and cross training for everyone.
Huge emphasis on wellness and personal wellbeing which is great.

You own your role and are expected to do well, achieve and be honest about how you're feeling in your role.

Love that there is tons of internal advancement, there's always an opportunity to learn more about a different role, grow into a bigger role or apply for promotions.
1 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback and for everything you do for us at Hillberg & Berk! Your honest feedback about our growth is appreciated, as we truly believe in never settling and loving life.
I could write a book on my experience working at Hillberg & Berk. From the clear lack of company direction and managerial support for staff, the worst part is the pompous executive and their complete lack of ability to run let alone scale a company claiming to sell affordable “luxury” goods “made in Canada”. Smoke and mirrors, you’re kidding yourself if you’ve bought into any of this. Management basically consists of 25 year olds they plucked off the street and gave way to much authority to, but the VP of sales is by far the worst. He is an arrogant sad excuse for a leader, and seems to spend most of his time asserting his authority over the female staff all while making a salary that could pay 8 employees. And the CEO...reads too many books and then shifts her company directive to copycat others. Do yourself a favour and move on.
29 May 2020
Thank you for the time you spent at Hillberg & Berk, we are deeply saddened to hear about your experience.

As you know, our teams located in Regina, Saskatchewan design and produce our affordable luxury jewellery pieces, which is why we celebrate being "Canada Proud". Our products are a symbol of our purpose, and enable us to support women within our company and communities across this country.

At Hillberg & Berk our mission is to empower women, and we are proud to provide opportunities to women in all stages of their careers. As a result, we have a diverse and talented team. We also believe that, regardless of age or gender, anyone can empower women in our community. Given you mention our VP of Sales, a role that has since evolved, we believe it may have been some time since you worked with us at Hillberg & Berk. We also noted that you indicated you were in a 'Sales Associate' role, a role title that we do not have at H&B.

That said, we prefer transparent and direct communication with our clients, partners and past employees, so if you'd like to connect with us again to discuss any topic, please reach out to arrange a time for two way conversation at inquire@hillbergandberk.com. We take every opportunity to engage in respectful dialogue with past employees, to understand diverse perspectives, and to consider how we can improve our employees' experience in the future.

Thank you.
Working at Hillberg & Berk means being self motivated with a view of how you impact the bigger picture. Asking questions, owning your personal success and supporting the growth of others will help you achieve your own personal career goals. H&B is focussed on supporting the growth of their employees both personally and professionally through development courses (internal and external), and consistent one on one meetings with their leaders. When goals are achieved both company wide or personally, there are celebrations and rewards. Through hard work, consistency and the ability to adapt and change to the environment success is rewarded. Be prepared to have fun, challenge yourself to step out of your comfort zone and learn what it takes to run a business.
26 February 2020
We are so happy to hear that this has been your experience! Thank you for being a part of our team in Saskatoon.
Hillberg & Berk is for individuals that are career focused, face paced, resilient and adaptable who also thrive in a fun environment. At Hillberg and Berk you really do get the chance to drive your own career. There are so many opportunities across the board and if you raise your hand and work hard you will be rewarded with incredible opportunities.

It's really important that if you want to have a career at Hillberg and Berk that you are OK with constant change and a fast moving environment. At times this can feel busy, stressful or uneasy but this can also result in career growth opportunities that are invaluable.

On top of all of the development we receive at H&B (courses, leadership, events) the company also provides us with exciting perks. The fitness partnerships are fantastic, I have a generous discount on their products, and have taken part in fun lunch activities such as yoga, and workshops.

The culture is unlike anywhere I have ever worked, Hillberg & Berk is truly a group of people who want to uplift each other, and see each other succeed.
26 February 2020
Thank you for everything you do for Hillberg & Berk. We agree that every employee owns their career progression and we strive to provide our employees with challenging and interesting work as well as developmental opportunities and support to meet those challenges with success. We appreciate you posting your positive feedback!
I have been working in retail for 6 years and Hillberg & Berk is like no other company in the mall. The job has higher expectations than other retail companies but it is worth it, they are always reaching higher, and trying to become better. Hillberg & Berk lives their core purpose of empowering women every day. I have had opportunities that I would not have anywhere else, such as attending events and connecting with clients on a personal level. The perks of this job are amazing! I have taken part in a mentoring relationship, had access to their wellness program, and have been gifted some beautiful jewellery.

If you are hard-working, love supporting other women, and are comfortable with change, then H&B is for you!
26 February 2020
Thank you for being a part of the Hillberg & Berk team, for being adaptable to change and for sharing your feedback! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your role, thank you for everything you do.
The company claims to love and empower all but the managers do the absolute most to make sure your time spent is nothing but negativity. You will be underpaid, and most importantly overworked.... You are not appreciated and when it is time to speak up you are put down in private so there is no record that you are being emotionally abused. They don’t fire the manager because it will bite them back for discrimination because he is a male. Amazing time spent with new females in store and make great positive connections but sadly not worth staying for your own health. You will never get fired but will always get talked behind your back and made fun of so that is your choice of which you would rather pick. Many complaints but no actions so don’t think you will be the one to change the system find another job
26 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is definitely hard to process, and we are sorry to hear about your experience at H&B. We believe that, regardless of gender, anyone can help us empower women in our community, and contribute to our mission. As part of our employee policies, we have no tolerance for environments that create negative or abusive experiences for employees or clients, and work hard to ensure this doesn’t happen. Given you mention that there has not been action as a result of your prior complaints, and we do not have record of this, we would be grateful if you would be willing to arrange a confidential discussion so we can listen to and understand your thoughts. Please reach out to us at inquire@hillbergandberk.com to arrange for this.
The job expectations are way too high for the amount you will be paid... If you ever ask for a raise they will give you every excuse in the book to avoid giving it to you. Even if you get a “promotion” that you worked hard for you’ll be kept at the same pay despite extra responsibilities. It would be an okay place to work if employees were compensated accordingly, instead they seem to think telling us we’re doing great is enough. Aside from the pay H&B has other areas that need improvement. There is a huge lack of organization especially at the top. I feel as though executive has lost sight of their vision and direction for H&B, I’ve never felt so disempowered at a job. I’m thankful for the amazing women I’ve met here, I truly wish in the future they would put their money where their mouth is.
Pros
Coworkers, client interactions
Cons
Wage, stress
26 February 2020
Thank you for being a part of our team and sharing your feedback. We would love to better understand your concerns directly regarding promotions and salary increases, as we do offer both, as well as, bonus opportunities. As a purpose-driven brand dedicated to empowering women, this includes our team of employees, and is an integral part of the overall company vision. We value open and transparent feedback and we would love the opportunity to have dialogue with you in order to improve. Please consider checking in with your Store Leader, or you can reach out to us at inquire@hillbergandberk.com to arrange for a confidential discussion. Thank you for being part of our team.
If you are looking to be overworked, underpaid, underappreciated and micromanaged by Executive then this is the place for you. The CEO switches direction of the company based on the newest book that she reads. Don't be fooled by thinking it is a company that empowers women, in fact it is quite the opposite. The free product and odd sponsorship are the smoke and mirrors they hide behind to pretend they care about the community. The CEO had to hire a man to try to get the company back on track and deal with all of the tough conversations and decisions she was afraid to. She hates conflict so she will say one thing to your face and then go and do whatever she wants anyways. Yes it is her company, but why hire people if you can't trust them to do their job. The pressure and expectations are unreal and the mental and emotional games they play get pretty tiring.

It is very sad that so many amazing young women think that the way they are treated and the expectations that are put on them are normal. They are not! The pressure to be better or do better is a constant and the only one that benefits is the Executive. You shouldn't be asked to come back early from maternity leave or work while you are on maternity leave. You shouldn't be asked to sacrifice your family obligations or holiday time to sell more sparkle balls and you certainly shouldn't wonder each and every day if today is the day that you are going to get fired for no good reason.

You can get promoted from within but don't expect an increase in pay, just more work. If you are one of the chosen few who can do no wrong
 - more...
Pros
Great people to work with and a great building to work in
Cons
Everything changes all the time, no accountability, long hours, little pay, retirement plan is a joke
In the wake of this expanding company, employees need a voice. It's very hard to be heard at this company; you are strongly encouraged to have a voice as they stand for 'women empowerment, but that is merely a hoax. The CEO hand picks who she wants to move up, HR does little to support the employees. If you don't have a strong executive and HR department - What do you have? It is very easy to get caught up in the promises that are made to you and your bright future, listen to your gut and don't put your destiny in the hands of others.
Hillberg & Berk is a growing company that encourages you to own your own success, as the company grows, so do their employees if they are driven to do so. The company is heavily involved in the community, especially as it relates to giving women what they need to be successful and empowered. New opportunities present themselves frequently, and you are always engaged as an employee, you are made to feel important, because you are.

Management does its best to ensure you have what you need to be productive at your job, and you get to meet some amazing people along your journey. Your mindset needs to be in the right place to be successful at H&B, those with a perspective that is not open will not prosper.
Pros
Great Salary, Friendly Engaging Environment, Excellent Co- Workers, Opportunity for Growth
Cons
As with any environment, conflict arises here and there
H&B has a very positive public image, one that speaks of the empowerment of employees and women in general. They also claim to live by values like love life and be brave. The majority of the executive completely fail to align their behaviours and actions with these values and statements. Only those who are favoured by the CEO and collapse to her micromanagement and control will advance. There are many wonderful people that work at this organization as well as many managers that are trying as hard as they can. But unrealistic expectations, requests that require an inappropriate work life balance and with misalignments to the values that are public it makes it difficult to be successful.
Pros
Most people that work there, discount
Cons
No work life balance, executive changing direction mid project almost daily
Hillberg & Berk is a business, not a magical world full of sparkle and empowerment. If you and your position are not part of their business plan and the bigger picture you, as a person, don’t matter. It was proven time and time again.

With the departure of dozens of employees (including many managers) there are no doubt opportunities within the company. That being said, Hillberg & Berk has tarnished their reputation. As many others have stated, the pay and benefits are lacking, executive team changes their mind and restructures every 6 months, and have demonstrated that they only pay lip service to their message of empowering women. This is nothing more than a marketing slogan. Under the pressure to perform, leadership has eroded immensely.

If you are young, ambitious and all you want to do is work there are opportunities to learn about a multifaceted business. However, do not have expectations of anything beyond gaining experience.
Pros
Small company with opportunity to move around, multifaceted from retail sales to supply chain to manufacturing.
Cons
Huge expectations, with no leadership to energize, staff does not trust management.
no balance only demands to do more and more and pay wont increase with the demands lots of ppl with 1 foot out the door. What executive says and do are two diffrent things. Disrespect behind closed doors. Lots of us are working at night and weekends which is expected not seen as going above and beyond. For a small compny everyone calendars are full and no time in our day for our work. Its extra on top of meetings and lots of us work all weekend. And on time off. Ppl crying at work. Unnecessery meetings and huddles that everyone hates but no one does anything about. Gossip because everyone are friends. Favoritsm used for ppl getting promoted. FAmily members on the same team. Nothing kept private Issues ignored when brought up esp when about negative impression of executive
Pros
Food in kitchen, discount
Cons
Pay, management, no balance
This job isn't a good one, working in the store the only positive is meeting some nice people that are part of the community. Other than that this company is very disorganized and lacks largely in communication, it's as if each department operates as their own company and that is very frustrating when you are customer facing as you deal with the brunt of most of it. Management lacks in giving direction and thinks they are above doing the work you have to do. Frustrating place to work and pay is only ok.
This company is trying to be different. It isn't easy and there are missteps along the way at any business, and certainly this one... But I have never found a business with more authenticity or a deeper sense of purpose, and I know this company is a terrific place to work. Opportunities come to those who are ready for them, and work hard for them, and jobs are what you make of them!
You could stay at this company forever and still never receive a raise or promotion. BUT the second someone comes along that kisses enough management butt, they will get promoted. The management at store level comes and goes as they please. When the upper management is visiting, all the managers go shopping for hours and leave one person to take care of the store. Management does not care for their employees. This company has driven many great employees away.
Pros
Free jewelry (eventually)
Cons
Management, policies, ignorance
How unfortunate that Hillberg & Berk prides itself on empowering women yet being employed at this company means you will get used, under paid, and talked about from upper management. The problem isn't the fact that the majority of the company is women; the problem is the women that work at the company. You cannot build an empowering and safe workplace through gossip and women doing whatever it will take to get one leg up over you. The young staff that are managers seem to value friendship more than running a business and somehow information that shouldn't be shared, is. I would not recommend this workplace to anyone.
Working seasonally you expect some room for growth, if you are not up someone butt don’t expect an offer to stay any longer. Having such a young team of females is not great for the retail stores as it can be very caty and judgmental.
The management of the store I worked in gossiped with everyone behind backs, and when I seeked help more gossip happened. When I went to head office for support in an anonymous connect, they spoke to management, however it left me in a bad place when i went to apply for other jobs.

I sadly wouldn’t suggest this job to anyone.
Although this business has some enticing benefits, mentorship programs, and community involvement. That is where it ends, the support from upper management is nonexistent and sparse if you do get it. The company is not only scattered, it's careless and communication is lacking all around so many times you find yourself scrambling.
As many others have said in their reviews, the work life balance isn't an option - You are constantly working. This isn't a career nor a step in a positive direction as the company does little to support you. The promise to move up in your career is limited and based on who you know within the company.
Hillberg & Berk boasts female empowerment and being an amazing place to work. However, do not expect them to live up to what they sell you in the interview or offer. They idealize the company as offering mentorship, empowerment planning, professional growth and more but that is not the case. Long hours, below average wage, cut raises, poor processes, large turnover, and very poor communication is just a few issues you will find working there. Sadly, I would not recommend the company to anyone I know.