Highline Mushrooms

Canada82 reviews

Clear
2.9Pay & benefits

Changes aren't always good

I enjoyed working at highline until recently they have taken away overtime hours and I've been told holiday pay is also non existent. Job security is non existent. Due to covid 19 hours have been cut as well. This I have no quarrel with, but I can't afford cost of living.

Pros

A couple of great supervisors

Cons

You are a number, not a person of value.

4 December 2020
Hello,Thank you for sharing your feedback. Highline is continuously growing as we continue to lead the industry. With your feedback, we will work towards improving. Please feel free to reach out to the HR Department with any further comments or suggestions you may have. Thanks,

working place are great for me because i want to work like this

The most enjoyable part of the job. this job is the best way to learn more about and base on my experience when i was in my Province i harvesting a peanut, that's why i want to take this job and i love this job.thank you

Pros

Free lunch

Not great place

Not a great place to work. Hours are long, no support from management or staff to help you succeed. Really needs a cleanup in all deptments. Pay is minimum wage. No chance of moving up in the company.

Pros

Cons

Long hours poor pay wage

Worst co ever

Poor management.poor staff.if you are in good terms and friends with supervisor you get lots of benifits.packaging supervisor Yells insult employees and always gets away with it.the management doesn’t acknowledge hard working people.stressful workplace for honest and hardworking people.

Pros

Cons

Poor at everything

Wonderful co-workers, HR nightmare

A dream job, truly. Unfortunately, and it truly is unfortunate: Highline is run by HR. Nothing to do with raises, wages, disciplinary action, promotions, etc. are up to your managers or any of the people you work with. Everything about your employment and your record are up to the sole discretion of HR. Not only that but there is a severe issue with training. There is no training. Even when someone gets hurt with a machine in an area crowded with people - no one knew how to use, operate, or even turn off the machine to stop this person from being crushed. The actual JOB was great, unfortunately CORPORATE CULTURE drove me away.

Pros

co-workers

Cons

Hr, corporate culture, lack of training, lack of corporate responsibility

4 December 2020
Hello,Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. Highline is continuously growing as we continue to lead the industry. With your feedback, we will work towards improving. Please feel free to reach out with any further comments or suggestions you may have. Thanks,

Salary job forced to work 12-16 hours a day.

Doesn't matter how hard you work, your efforts are going down the drains. And don't let any higher manager see that you are a free thinker with a mind of your own because they will consider you a threat. The Managers did not care about the quality of our work, Even when working 70+ hours per week, employees were told that they are not working enough overtime hours. In addition, some Managers were downright abusive of their employees and supervisor's at farm & pack house. HR is aware of the issue but does not take any action whatsoever. Unethical management Toxic Workplace Culture. Gossip & Rumours from managers hostile working environment. Discrimination and Harassment. Unrealistic and Conflicting Goals. Questionable Use of Company Technology Improper or excessive company policies

Cons

Salary 12-16 hours a day work up to 10 days straight before getting a day off.

4 December 2020
Hello,We are sorry to hear about your frustrating experience while working at Highline Mushrooms. This is definitely not the kind of work environment we strive for. You can reach out directly to the HR Department or send us more details by using the information on the “Contact us” page. We will forward your feedback to the appropriate individual for further review.Your feedback is important to us as we are determined to be employer of choice in our industry.Thank you,

Unfair

This company is considered a farm so it gets away with low pay for very long hours 10-13/day. Not enough health and safety in the work area and people are always yelling at you to go faster. Not to mention some people can take a lot of sick days with no consequences while others can’t

Its good but not great

Good to work with different people but after one time it will get hactic and out of control at wor. Management is good but keep forcing workers to do fast even tho they have less orders to do on a faily basis.

productive

Highline is a new company for me, I never worked at Highline mushrooms but from my friends working there in Leamington, Ontario I know that Highline is a good company. Highline mushrooms providing good housing.

Boring place to work, with no movement

No room for advancement, the company cuts costs anywhere to replace local with temporary foreign workers. And treat them poorly. The job is very steady because no one wants to work there.But the pay is low and they will work you as much as possible.

Great company - really cares about their employees

Highline is a great place to work. Is it challenging and fast paced? Yes. Does Highline care about their employees? Yes. Highline tries to give their employees the best they can. There are multiple different social events that employees and their family get to attend for free. Highline also provides a comprehensive benefit package for all employees, including health, dental, vision, life insurance, pension, etc. Unlike other agriculture companies in the area, Highline pays overtime, holiday pay, statutory pay, and tries to regulate hours the best they can. Highline appreciates their employees, and will go above and beyond where they can. Travel pay is provided to every hourly associate to help offset the cost of commuting. Highline is a great place to work and will always embrace new employees. If you have any questions, you are encouraged to speak with managers or HR, and help will be provided.

Pros

Good pay, social events, overtime, holiday pay

It's very good company

They just paid $12.50 before,but now I don't know how much they paid. it's was very good company and people were very nice and helpful, I appreciate everything.

this place sucks

management is HORRIBLE, i regret working here as they did little to nothing to help me when i was having problems working here & when i finally went to complain about my manager, they fired me a week later, without notice. I truly 100% recommend that if you are applying here or thinking of working here, to just go somewhere else to look for employment. they do not care about you here @ highline. not to mention what they pay you is horrible, you could easily go somewhere else and get $3-$5 more an hour. Also, i was there 6-7 months, i was elegible for my benefits, they "put them through" at my 3 month mark & every time i asked about it, hey said there was an error with the system and i am unable to get benefits, but every one else could a quire theire benefits? terrible, terrible company. my job title says volunteer but i was not a volunteer.

3 December 2019
Dear former employee,We are very sorry to hear about your experience at Highline. We hold strong to our values which include always doing the right thing and considering the human element in all aspects of our organization.We take these comments very seriously and welcome you to contact our HR department to further address your concerns.Wishing you the best in your future endeavours.Human Resources

Steady work and money cheap working place

Nice managers and supervisors. Smelly working place They pay travel allowance If you are punctual its your place for work. Recently the benefit plan has been changed. Its below premium.

3 December 2019
Dear Former Heavy Equipment Operator,We appreciate your candid feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with your managers and supervisors. At times there may be a strong smell which is part of the process of growing mushrooms. We are proud to offer many extended benefits to our associates which are over and above the required ESA regulations.We wish you the best with your future endeavours.

Only work here if there are no other options for you.

There are so many issues with this business that I could write an essay. Most people who work there would agree that it is not a great company, and yet nothing significant ever changed. For example, the work hours are terrible because one may never know when their shift begins until the night before, and a shift only ends when there is no more work for the day. Having a healthy work life balance while employed here is difficult. This is not to say that working lengthy hours and going above and beyond is disdainful in some way, but this is a mushroom farm, not a law firm of software studio, where such effort would be more generally appreciated and even rewarded. On the bright side: I will note that there are some decent benefits associated with working here (such as dental coverage).

Pros

Some benefits.

Cons

Terrible work life balance, uninteresting job, lousy management.

Packaging, we all work as a team

I've been an Associate of Highline for 2 years. It's a fast paced busy environment. Something I enjoy. Hours can be long, always a start time , unfortunately sometimes you dont know when you'll be done. I can Honestly say I like my job!!! I've dealt with alot of personal family stuff since I started. Management and Hr. Have been empathetic and worked with me through it all. I hope to be with Highline Mushroom Farm for the rest of my working years.

Pros

Travel allowance, paid suppers after 12 hours. Benefits and a Pension Plan

Cons

Start time in packaging, but never sure when you'll be done.

Worst job experience so far since I moved to Ontario

Hard work, terrible schedule, minimim pay...ot only after 88hrs Gave me extra hours one week then extra days off the next.... ensuring no over time for me. Then i quit and on my last pay I expect at least 2.5 days (2 of which were 19hrs and 18hr days). But all I got was my vacation pay....

Pros

Lots of work

Cons

No home life, minumum wage, hard work

Fast paced work, and a place to get job advancements

I have worked at the highline mushroom farm in kingsville for 14 years and From the very beginning started out as a productions line worker in the packing room part time for a couple years, then became a machine operator full time for another couple years, after that I advanced to a lead hand/supervisor position. If you prove to yourself and upper management that you can do a great job every day, they Will notice and you can build a career for yourself. It is a very stressful job because you need to work hard at a fast pace and work long hours. Highline gives 15 min breaks that are paid (every 2.5 hours). The ESTIMATED daily finish time is posted up for everyone to see around 3pm.

Pros

Great associates to work with. Good benefits

Cons

Long hours and not knowing when you will finish the day

3 May 2018
Dear Current Lead Hand/Supervisor, Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of Highline Mushrooms. You are a typical example of how starting part-time can lead to full-time employment which can lead to advancement into management positions. Reading that you think your co-workers are great makes us proud of the culture we have built with your help. And we are also proud to offer a full benefits package that you think is great. We also acknowledge that our business days are long and we have been implementing changes to support better work-life balance. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work and we will keep recognizing you! Warm regards, Human Resources

Great place for drivers who enjoy hometime

Plenty of work available for drivers Newer equipment and well maintained Lots of hometime Excellent staff and company culture Rapidly expanding customer base last few years Pay rates are quickly falling behind compared to others in industry Only night shifts available for drivers Some manual labor required

Pros

Great hometime, good benefits, good equipment

Cons

pay rates are falling behind other companies, only night shifts available

28 May 2018
Dear Current Driver, Thank you for taking time to write a favourable review of Highline Mushrooms. We are proud of our culture and many of the other items you positively identified. We regularly review our compensation and benefits and will be sure do so for the driver positions again soon. And a point of clarification regarding your comments about night shifts only; Highline does have other shifts for the driver positions. Please speak with HR if you have any other questions about this. Kind regards, Human Resources

Hard work and you can feel proud of it

The company is lead by some really down to earth managers. Most are good people trying to do the right thing. The big bosses come out in the farm to talk with everyone. That does' happen in a lot of places. Lots of promotion opps. Money is decent. Benefits are good. Work hard and you can get recognized. Company has grown a lot in recent years and it has caused stress as everyone tries to keep up with the changes. Wish some of the big bosses would make more decisions and not wait so long.

Pros

Pay benefits

Cons

chaos at times

6 November 2017
Dear Current Associate, Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences about Highline Mushrooms. Hearing that the Highline Values are being lived by the Management team is wonderful. We are glad you enjoy the compensation and benefits, including promotional opportunities and recognition available at Highline. If you have suggestions on how to improve decision making speed, we welcome this feedback through our Associate Representative Committee. Kind regards, Human Resources

Repetitive Line work

packing on a line all day in a cold environment. its Hard on feet and hands. but you you work overtime you may get free dinner. and a benefit would be paid breaks.

Cons

working 12 hours +

3 November 2017
Dear Leamington Former Packer Employee, Thank you for open feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the compensation and benefits Highline Mushrooms provides. Overtime pay and free dinner is not required, it is just how we like to treat our Associates. The packing rooms are kept cool as mushrooms are a perishable product. Warm break rooms are provided to help during lunch time. Regards, Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highline Mushrooms. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6