Highline Mushrooms Employee Reviews

good working environment
Crew Member of tunnel operations (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON18 February 2019
They have very good working environment.Manageent team embers are very supportive and energatic. I neever get trouble in this company from past one year.
prepackaging section is fun and challenging
Packaging Operator (Current Employee) –  Crossfield, AB23 November 2018
I've been an Associate of Highline for almost a year now. It's a fast paced busy environment. Something I enjoy. Hours can be long, always a start time , unfortunately sometimes you dont know when you'll be done. I can Honestly say I like my job!!! I've dealt with a lot of personal family stuff since I started. Management and Hr. Have been empathetic and worked with me through it all. I hope to be with Highline Mushroom Farm for the rest of my working years.
Pros
Supervisors and managers are approachable and easy to talk to
Cons
no room for suggestions, rank and files do not have representatives
$18-20 to repair refrigeration equipment , good luck , maybe in 1975
Technician (Current Employee) –  Ontario12 November 2018
It is illegal to work with CFC's / refrigerants without certification.
Cheap , cheap , cheap penny pinching company.
Employees suffer while the big wigs collect.
Disgusting place to work.
Anywhere on the west coast is paying $40 / hr min for easier position.
Same old Ontario story.
Pros
Free Mushrooms if your lucky
Cons
Cheap, penny pinching company with no regard.
Organized, attention to details.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON24 October 2018
Working at H&R Block was an amazing experience. I learned how to pay attention to details, organizing skills. Dealing with people of different backgrounds. Keeping confidentiality was also part of my job.
Pros
Free tax filing
Cons
very busy during the month of January, and feb
Packaging, we all work as a team
Packaging (Current Employee) –  Canada6 October 2018
I've been an Associate of Highline for 2 years. It's a fast paced busy environment. Something I enjoy. Hours can be long, always a start time , unfortunately sometimes you dont know when you'll be done. I can Honestly say I like my job!!! I've dealt with alot of personal family stuff since I started. Management and Hr. Have been empathetic and worked with me through it all. I hope to be with Highline Mushroom Farm for the rest of my working years.
Pros
Travel allowance, paid suppers after 12 hours. Benefits and a Pension Plan
Cons
Start time in packaging, but never sure when you'll be done.
Good If You Like Working Long Hours
GENERAL LABOURER / LINE MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON17 September 2018
If you like to work a lot of hours in a week, this job is perfect for you! There are no set hours. You will have to call nightly to find out what time you're starting work the next day.
20 September 2018

Dear General Labourer,

We wish we could set hours of work every day! Our expert growers use a combination of science, best practices and hands on daily management to grow fresh organic mushrooms. And even with all this expertise, we must flex to how the mushrooms grow a little faster or a little slower each and every day.

We appreciate your understanding and flexibility!

Kind regards,

need better management
Loader operator / Compost technician (Former Employee) –  Crossfield, AB17 September 2018
needs better management and maintence people always fixing things by myself smelly steamy cant c what your doing on cold days because of steam very dangerous
20 September 2018

Dear Loader Operator,

We are very sorry to hear these concerns through Indeed. Please call Highline's Director of HR, we would like to hear your concerns and be able to address them.

Worst job experience so far since I moved to Ontario
Driver/ farm hand (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, ON10 September 2018
Hard work, terrible schedule, minimim pay...ot only after 88hrs

Gave me extra hours one week then extra days off the next.... ensuring no over time for me.

Then i quit and on my last pay I expect at least 2.5 days (2 of which were 19hrs and 18hr days). But all I got was my vacation pay....
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
No home life, minumum wage, hard work
Fast paced work, and a place to get job advancements
Lead Hand/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, ON26 April 2018
I have worked at the highline mushroom farm in kingsville for 14 years and From the very beginning started out as a productions line worker in the packing room part time for a couple years, then became a machine operator full time for another couple years, after that I advanced to a lead hand/supervisor position. If you prove to yourself and upper management that you can do a great job every day, they Will notice and you can build a career for yourself. It is a very stressful job because you need to work hard at a fast pace and work long hours. Highline gives 15 min breaks that are paid (every 2.5 hours). The ESTIMATED daily finish time is posted up for everyone to see around 3pm.
Pros
Great associates to work with. Good benefits
Cons
Long hours and not knowing when you will finish the day
3 May 2018

Dear Current Lead Hand/Supervisor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of Highline Mushrooms.

You are a typical example of how starting part-time can lead to full-time employment which can lead to advancement into management positions.

Reading that you think your co-workers are great makes us proud of the culture we have built with your help. And we are also proud to offer a full benefits package that you think is great.

We also acknowledge that our business days are long and we have been implementing changes to support better work-life balance. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work and we will keep recognizing you!

Warm regards,

A place to grow
Supply-Chain & Sales executive (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON22 April 2018
Highly motivated and encourages innovation. A great place to quite understand the life cycle of a produce starting from seed to packaging. Having global distribution channels, a typical employee gets a chance to diversify their knowledge on a larger scale.
28 May 2018

Dear former Supply-Chain & Sales executive, thank you for the positive feedback. It is great to hear you had the opportunity to gain better understanding the industry and to diversify your knowledge.

Regards, Human Resources

Great place for drivers who enjoy hometime
Driver (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON6 April 2018
Plenty of work available for drivers
Newer equipment and well maintained
Lots of hometime
Excellent staff and company culture
Rapidly expanding customer base last few years

Pay rates are quickly falling behind compared to others in industry
Only night shifts available for drivers
Some manual labor required
Pros
Great hometime, good benefits, good equipment
Cons
pay rates are falling behind other companies, only night shifts available
28 May 2018

Dear Current Driver,

Thank you for taking time to write a favourable review of Highline Mushrooms. We are proud of our culture and many of the other items you positively identified.

We regularly review our compensation and benefits and will be sure do so for the driver positions again soon.

And a point of clarification regarding your comments about night shifts only; Highline does have other shifts for the driver positions. Please speak with HR if you have any other questions about this.

Kind regards, Human Resources

Awesome place to work at
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON3 April 2018
It was great working with Highline! I was empowered to work with challenging projects with support from senior managers. The people are very helpful when you have questions or needed help with the tasks.
23 April 2018

Dear Former Business Analyst,

We greatly appreciate your positive thoughts about working at Highline.

All the best and remember Highline if you would like a challenging and reward career with us again.

Secure and fun workplace
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, ON1 March 2018
Every day starts with a morning exercise which creates a positive vibe at the workplace and also helps to keep our body ergonomically comfort. I have learned to work with a team in a fast paced environment. Supervisors makes sure that everything goes well and everyone is safe. The hardest part is when the machine goes wrong and everything has to be manually operated. As an assistant I have to manage the workers and make sure they meet the order requirement. I enjoy every aspects about the Job. To guide and to learn is always a pleasure.
Pros
Free food for late hours, Travel allowance.
Cons
Long shifts
23 April 2018

Dear Student Employee,

We sincerely appreciate your accurate and positive reflection of work at Highline.

Those morning exercises are very important and we love hearing that you benefit from them. Safety is a key priority and we appreciate hearing that our Supervisors work with safety in mind at all times.

Highline is always looking for positive Associates like you to join the team. Our goal is reducing the long shifts by hiring more Associates and we are making progress every week!

We wish you a long and successful career with Highline Mushrooms,

Excellent Company
Watering and Disease Control (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON23 November 2017
My job is not in packaging but its good for me, and working environment is also very peaceful for me there. Supervisors are really nice persons to me. But Working hours are not fixed. sometimes I have to work more than 11 hours and sometime less than 7 hours. its really not fixed. But there are some things that I don't like.
But by looking from the top of it, I like working in Highline. Thank You much Highline Mushrooms, for Hiring part-timers like us.
Pros
Supervisors and management systems are Very Supportive
Cons
Not fixed hours
27 November 2017

Dear Current Water & Disease Control Associate,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and positive comments.

It is great to hear your Supervisors and Managers are supportive and that you enjoy the work environment.

Our part-time staff are very important to our success.

With continuous improvement in mind, we are always looking at ways to create consistency in hours of work. The farm environment is such that a certain amount of variables will always apply. Your understanding of this is really appreciated.

Wishing you a long and successful career with Highline,

Human Resources

Hard work and you can feel proud of it
Associate (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON4 November 2017
The company is lead by some really down to earth managers. Most are good people trying to do the right thing. The big bosses come out in the farm to talk with everyone. That does' happen in a lot of places. Lots of promotion opps.
Money is decent. Benefits are good. Work hard and you can get recognized.
Company has grown a lot in recent years and it has caused stress as everyone tries to keep up with the changes. Wish some of the big bosses would make more decisions and not wait so long.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
chaos at times
6 November 2017

Dear Current Associate,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences about Highline Mushrooms.

Hearing that the Highline Values are being lived by the Management team is wonderful.

We are glad you enjoy the compensation and benefits, including promotional opportunities and recognition available at Highline.

If you have suggestions on how to improve decision making speed, we welcome this feedback through our Associate Representative Committee.

Kind regards,

very tense work enviroment
not applicable (Former Employee) –  leaminton26 October 2017
I personally found it very tense and gossipy. it might be different for others. I went to work on time and left after work. i learned stuff that will help me in the future.
Pros
discounted product
Cons
harsh work enviroment

Dear former Leamington employee,

Thank you for candid feedback.

If there is any additional information you would to share with Human Resources, we welcome your call.

Kind regards.

worse ever
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON16 October 2017
Dont do it. they are racist. Management are the worse I've ever worked for
they keep threatening workers foreign workers
Caucasian workers that drop off application gets the resume thrown in the garbage right away
Pros
Cons
all

Dear Former Office Assistant,

It is very unfortunate that you believe that Highline is racist. We proudly employ a very diverse work group, of all shapes, sizes and colours.

We do not engage in discrimination and would never throw away an applicants resume. As you can see from our many job posted on Indeed, we are looking to hire and throwing away applications doesn't make sense.

Please contact the Director of Human Resources to speak about your concerns.

Felt like a minority in my own country
Packer (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON14 September 2017
Standing on your feet in one place for 8 to unlimited hours is extremely hard to do day after day. When shown around the day i was hired, everyone was sitting (immigrants only) found out the day i started you need a doctors note to have one of those stools..! No one speaks English, management on the floor all seem to be non Canadians!
Pros
paycheque
Cons
hours vary to widely, no ability to plan your life on a day to day basis

Dear Former Kingsville Packer,

Highline does not discriminate and has no room for unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people.

It seems as though our rich and diverse culture was not the right fit for you.

Best of luck with your future,

Dear Kingsville Former Packing Employee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

If our recruiting process failed to advise of the physical demands of the packing position, or how end times can vary depending on how the mushrooms grow each day, we sincerely apologize.

The cultural mosaic that Canada openly embraces is the same values that has helped shape Highline Mushrooms. We are proud our Associates speak over 15 different languages.

Repetitive Line work
Packer (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON28 August 2017
packing on a line all day in a cold environment. its Hard on feet and hands. but you you work overtime you may get free dinner. and a benefit would be paid breaks.
Cons
working 12 hours +

Dear Leamington Former Packer Employee,

Thank you for open feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed the compensation and benefits Highline Mushrooms provides. Overtime pay and free dinner is not required, it is just how we like to treat our Associates.

The packing rooms are kept cool as mushrooms are a perishable product. Warm break rooms are provided to help during lunch time.

Hated working there
Packer (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON25 August 2017
I felt very unwelcome at Highline ,hardly anyone speaks English. The women in the packing room are very rude,terrible hours!! Never know when you will be done each day is tough.
Pros
Travel pay
Cons
Horrible pay

Dear Former Employee,

We are very sorry to hear your coworkers were rude to you. That is not in keeping with Highline values.

You are absolutely right that not knowing when you will be done each day is tough. We are working towards scheduling improvements.

Best of luck with your future,

Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highline Mushrooms. Our community is ready to answer.