Highland Packers

Highland Packers Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
I am a shipping/recieveing and packer at highland packers. It needs better attention to organization, management and better benefits for the high stress and pace you are working at. Better work hours and higher pay for the heavy loads and work load you are expected to be able to handle.
Horrible .. they will hire you on the spot because theyre so desperate. Co workers nice enough , management sucks , it smells really bad, dont forget its a slaughter house so not good for weak stomachs.
Great place to work at! Everyone works as a team and supports eachother. It is a fast paced environment but they teach you everything you need to know!
I never had the worst working experience in my live. A lot of harassment, verbal abuse, intimidation. You named!!!
Product don’t meet the minimum quality standards, lot of cross contamination, very poor sanitation program, mould all over the place. No one cares about product and Costumers.
I look forward to going to work everyday. I take pride in working for this family because they are hard working dedicated people. Great co-workers and a strong team environment contribute to this being a great place to work. By nature the meat industry is fast paced and physical for many positions but I love that aspect of it, it's basically a workout where you're getting paid!
I refused to use a saw that was not up to safety standards. This saw is a dangerous weapon that has the blade constantly fall off, along with the wheel that holds the blade! Yup the whole unit just falls apart!

So I refused to run it and oddly enough was fired the next week for being to slow(I've only been cutting meat for 4 months!) So yeah i was slower than the guys who have been doing it for years and decades!! I was also told that I was slashing too much. Granted I made a few mistakes but there are guys there who have been doing this as long as I've been alive and slash pieces like they are new like me!

Overall this place is dangerous, unsanitary, and no communication. Not once was I told by any management that I need to pick up the pace or given any warnings or write ups. I would not recommend working here. Everybody in the place is miserable and cry about how unsafe and low quality some of the meat that comes through that place is...DO NOT BUY THE GROUND MEAT!!

I'm glad I'm done with that dump!
It’s was good place to work cause everyone was friendly and always willing to help if needed. The manager are sometimes aggressive when they want certain things done. It’s a labour job sometimes during you work shift
honestly wouldnt suggest this place but not the worst place i worked at for a couple months just to fill in time between jobs. decent co workers, just the management dont do anything. youll see them once or twice in a 10-12 hour day. only really the owners son cared about the staff in the back room. management out front seemed to be amazing though, always seemed to be ahead of their game. mind you at this place i was working 7 machines., vac packing and lead grinder doing a 4 man job getting paid $14.00 hr... so yeah. if youre not a work horse, wouldnt suggest it.
Terrible company. Very unwelcoming towards new people. All lies and deception. Got hired for shipping and spent my first few days gathering cut off pig heads and boxing them. ( not shipping) Then bagging dead pigs on Hooks. I had 2 other workers yell at me and use profanity towards me for no reason. There was no training or safety involved with the job at all , basically you just follow suit and hope you can keep your head above water long enough not to get fired.
There are not enough words to convey just how oppressive/threatening and border- line mafia style operated this working environment was.
The head butcher would walk around and literally corner and threaten the" weak".

people were verbally threatened and abused daily, while the owner walked around with a dumb grin looking oblivious to it all.
Pros
non
Cons
all
The place itself has terrible management, terrible HR, and terrible owners. My coworkers were always great, time off is impossible. Shifts were long and you were penalized for phoning in sick.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Long hours, poor owner/management/HR
Steady year around work. management was ok and was always willing to lend a hand when work was behind. Would recommend to anybody in need of a good entry level position.
Pros
year around pay cheque
Cons
i like the work and i like what i do the only reason i am writing this is because indeed is makining me in ordef to move forward with up loading my resume.
This business wrongfully terminated me from the company and management does not care about anyone working there! stay away! The HR person only cares about the company!
everything was great besides the management and supervisors. environment was great co-workers as well. not a place I would like to stay for a few years though.
This is the bad place to work. very low pay and tough work. The company is full of family members. The owner's daughter thinks she is better than anybody else, repeatedly called workers stupid. If you want to find a respectful place with reasonable pay, this company is not for you.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low pay and too many family members
This company is the absolute worst! Stay away! The pay sucks and the management is worse. The owner only cares about what goes into his pocket and the "hr" person only protects the owner. Rude and disrespectful. Also you can't take time off.
Cons
Organization skills are a key part of this job where I had to stage all product in order by date. The management was always there when you needed them but the hardest part was trying to find help with certain jobs.
Many people start working here and just as quick many people
quit working here as well. Refuses to give a compliant or any type of

praise for work production well done.

Getting fired is very easy and communication is very difficult with management.

This place is not recommended for a decent place to work.or decent wages to provide a living for hard work.
Pros
steady work year round
Cons
poor communication with workers
My review states that this position was not for me. plus you want 5150 characters. So I do not want to add anything to my review however, I would like to get through this process.
Manager provided clear instructions and was always willing to guide new employees. He managed his business very well and is a strong leader. I learned exceptional excel skills at this job, and how to use a cash register.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highland Packers. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4