Highland Farms Inc. Employee Reviews

It was a very enjoyable and knowledgeable company to work for until the separation took place.
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  4750 Dufferin street11 October 2013
Pros
gained wide range of knowledge product wide
Cons
change of work environment, lack of loyalty
hard work but i like
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 September 2013
being a meat cutter is not a easy job but your always learning.
the hard part of the job is when there so much cutting all day.
but when you work with good group of people like i do its not so bad
the best part about working at highland farms is we joke around alot
with my co workers we have alot fun. my manager help us out when we need it.
Would Never Work for Highland Farms ever again!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Location27 August 2013
In a very short time frame, the people seemed very disorganized and always complaining about the money they make or to much work.

The human resources gives you the benefit package not the greatest compared to other companies and provides no guidance.

The office enviroment had to many chiefs and not enough indians if you know what I mean. Everyone wanted to be someone with no hard work except complaining and looking out for their jobs.

In the grocery store the owners walk around over looking everything and if something is wrong they will scream.

They will not pay any over time and if you take breaks for doctor's or emergencies they will deduct your pay.

Good luck to all future employees be aware of your surroundings. If you really need a pay cheque this is a good place to start until another opportunity comes along.
Pros
Paid weekly no other pros
Cons
To many to list ... lol
learn new things
FT Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 June 2013
as a new immigrant, i have learnt a lots of new things here such as canadian way of communication, life style, different cultures etc. very tiring job with lots of responsiblity, tough rules and regulations. nice co workers. very flexible schedule. cannot afford to a second job with that job. financial security.
Pros
financial security, nice co workers
Cons
not very good schedule
Great Management
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2013
Nice place to work but it was hard to handle two small kids and the job.
Not a good place to work
Full time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 April 2013
This company has little respect for their employees, You are expected to give your 110% for 50% compensation. The owners are rude, the head cashier is always in a bad mood, you are not allowed to have a life. once you get the job your life is over or better yet you cannot get another because they set the work schedule so that its impossible to go find another job once you find out working for highland farm is not worth it.
There is a high turn over of employees specially at the cashier department, the head cashier has little or no respect for the girls working their shifts, if one cashier annoy her everyone gets it! she play favorite and those who happened to be in her good list then those girls are favored.
One thing for sure HIGHLAND farm is not worth it
Cons
no free lunches/ punchclock is far from the lunchroom
A part time job after school that was enjoyable
Customer Service/Meat Dept. (Former Employee) –  Scarborough3 April 2013
Highland Farms was a great part time after school job that taught me responsibility.
do it only if you absolutely have to.
Produce (Former Employee) –  Vaughn29 March 2013
Visit the punch clock 8 times a day .....lol. Owners walk around the stores looking over your shoulder. Was hired for one position and ended up doing another. Have to pay for your own uniform. Pay is obviously low because its a grocery store. Maybe things have changed since, who knows.
Pros
nice clean environment, co-workers were nice
The job was easy
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  50 Matheson Blvd E16 March 2013
The job was easy but sometimes in the middle of the day there wouldn't be a lot of customers, so there was not a lot to do and it got boring standing around. So i would have to walk around the store and pick up garbage which sometimes wasn't there at all. Overall the management and the co-workers were all good people but i just could not stay there because i needed something to do constantly.
Pros
cheaper lunches
Cons
not enough work
nice clean place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dufferin St Torono,On14 March 2013
Great place to work, if co-workers don't try to be your boss. not good for mothers with young child. teammates don't help you when you ask, as a trainee co-workers should help you as needed.
Cons
long shifts
Very friendly and productive place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2012
When i worked at Highland Farms I would be working in both sections of the deli meat/cheese my main department was meat. I learned how to work in a very busy environment without getting overwhelmed. I also learned a lot of different types of meats and cheeses working there. The people i worked with were very friendly after a short while working there it kinda felt like family. The hardest part of my job there was probably dealing with customers that i couldnt really understand or just hard very bad manners, but working there also helped me with how to deal with that.
Pros
all the different types of meat
Slicing products in the machines & serve what costumers needed.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 November 2012
I work 40 hours a week in this company.I learned how to work independently,I learned how to be well organized. I learned how to deal with people at all levels specially the needs of difficult costumers.I learned to be more patient. l build a strong communication skills .We have a good salary & benefits.It's fun working with my co-workers because they are so nice & very helpful. Its been hard for me when I was new in this company because I have to memorized all the cold cuts products and slice in the machine & served to the costumers but after I learn everything about it I already enjoyed it specially dealing with costumers and hearing from them a nice words like they are very satisfied about my service.
Pros
points card
Cons
full time
good starter job
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  mississauga on21 September 2012
Nice place to work . the only problem is that the late closing of store. its hard especially to mothers.
Pros
store discount
Cons
late closing
Fun and relaxed environment to work in. Great Staff!
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON7 September 2012
If I had one word which can describe my day at work, it would be "flexibility." When I get there I do my routinely walk to the punch clock, to begin the next 8 1/2 hours of my life. However I had the opportunity to work or oversee what takes place at the different sections of this supermarket, including the deli, bakery, caffe, meat and seafood department, flower shop, cashier, grocery and administration.

The most enjoyable part of the day however was working alongside some of the best members of staff I have ever worked with in my life. We worked diligently while help keeping a smile on each others faces. What I learned the most from this job was how to deal with people from all walks of life and their concerns and the importance of having good customer service skills.

For me there is nothing I can think of that is difficult. There are times, especially on weekends when the store is busier than usual and more staff and assistance is required, but I make it through quite good, with little difficulty.
Pros
employee discount card and discounted meals
Cons
irregularity of shifts
the whole store is a very good working area...big, bright,clean, quiet....
Cake Decorator & Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 August 2012
I can have my own creation.
The company provides us a set of clean uniform everyday.
We have a bright & clean working place.
Pros
wide and clean working place
Cons
a lot of politics, none of social activities
I'm happy working in highland Farm.
Night Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Duferin st.Toronto24 July 2012
everything I know I learn before I work at Highland Farms,I work with in the team following policies ,I get along with most of my co-workers,the most enjoyable part of the job is when there is team work because it makes the job easier.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
working 6 days a week making 44hrs .
Not a good place to work if you are to be considered for any future growth
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2012
Working at Highland Farms was the must ungratifing the management for each department was not trained properly and plays on favouritism this company has no idea what the word professional means.