Highland Farms Inc. Employee Reviews in Mississauga, ON

A day at Highland Farms
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2019
I have handled many transactions in highland farms in various departments including OLG at customer service desk, smart serve certified experience in wine and beer store and cafe, and chocolate shop as a front end cashier. I have been with the company for almost 3 years and now i am studying to be a Pharmacy Assistant. My customers are what brings a smile to my face and keeps me moving forward and motivated.
Productive and helping
Produce Trimmer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2019
A typical day start with displaying tables with fresh produce/fruits.
Workplace culture is enjoyable.Most of the other employees are above 50+ and matured like me.The management always makes certain on selling Fresh produce/fruits etc. etc.,which is something we do not see in other grocery stores.
I learned trimming produces, setting up tables for fruit displays.Management and Manager is always there to assist you in case of doubt.
We work as a family/team here.
Not a place to improve skills
Baker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2019
Highland Farms gets everything frozen, nothing is made in house.
A typical day would be open boxes and finish baking the product.
It's fairly simple to work there but there wasn't a bakery manager at the time I worked there, and everyone wanted to do things their way which resulted in a very chaotic experience.
Horrible Place to Work
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2019
Highland Farms was a terrible place to work. In the couple of months that I was there I learned a lot about how they like to treat their employees. First of all the owners have no respect for their employees. 2 weeks before Christmas, they announced that it was now mandatory to work on boxing day, messing up the Christmas plans of many of the staff. They don't bother to learn your name and look down on you with their noses up in the air. You are also expected to work for free because they don't pay overtime. People don't take their breaks because there is too much work to do and they don't even get paid for it. The manager at the bakery (where I worked) was a completly rude and overall a mean human being. While I worked there I was constantly harassed over the littlest of things. I also noticed that they like to take advantage of their younger staff treating us as if we were below them. They don't even let you talk to your co-workers thus creating an unpleasant working atmosphere. Some people were very nice but the lack of respect from others outweighed the good. If you want to apply to work here I strongly suggest you don't.
Pros
Some nice people.
Cons
Literally everything.
Toxic management from the owner on down
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2018
Some great people working there, and a lot to be learned. Also they do hire full time, which is rare in supermarkets.
Other than that, it's a terrible place to work. They will treat you like dirt and expect you to like it. For minimum wage and useless benefits. After years of employment.
Pros
Full time
Cons
They don't care about labour laws or their employees generally
Productive, Busy but clean and friendly environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 October 2017
Good place to work, friendly environment. Customers are great. Staff there are helpful. Store is extremely clean, a lot of different types of produce. Great international selection of food.
Work experience at Highland Farm
Payroll&Benefit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2017
I am the Payroll and Benefit Administrator at Highland Farm Inc, in charge of more than 300 people---both hourly and salary employee's weekly payroll administration.
given a 75 cent raise after 2 1/2 weeks
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 March 2017
after being started at a higher than expected rate for a warehouse order picker at the Matheson location. don't have to add much to add beyond that, since it's the first time my efforts have been acknowledged in that fashion in over 30 years in the work force that's seen plenty of 'pats on the back' for being a 'team player'.

my manager hands out tasks then gets out of the way so if you're someone who thrives in that type of environment, i wouldn't hesitate to sign on and see what you think.
Pros
no micro-managing, lots of hours
Cons
excessive inbound freight during short time spans
Good Job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 February 2017
It is a good job, we get along and it is balanced with work and home it is a pleasure. Not too many issues, schedualing good.
Bakery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2016
I worked at the Bakery Dept. on Mattheson and Hurontation for over a year ...It was great working there.... I really loved it! …. friendly environment, except for the owners, none of them even acknowledged their workers, most arrogant people ever, but nobody cared as the Bakery manager (my manager) was amazing!!! Even though she was very strict with how work needed to be done, but she was very good at helping us to be happy with our schedules and always was conscious of whom we were working with to ensure our shift was pleasant.... and we were always willing to go above and beyond in our tasks without her asking us…. But, when the Bakery Manager recently left… the place turned into a real nightmare… The main manager (or the one below the new big manager) is the worse… the man won’t pick up anything from the floor, but loves giving orders and will treat you like slave, completely unconscious of people’s needs or feelings, he has absolutely no manners to talk to people…. Many of us who were not thinking about quitting at all …. left …including me and others are desperately trying to leave…. Not only they are treating people bad, but they have added much more tasks to what a person can handle… they have reduced the shifts to avoid giving breaks, everybody is working under pressure and the stress level is unbearable… It is horrendous… they need someone to turn that place around and make it the nice place it used to be… sadly I highly doubt they will do something about it…. So good luck if you’re applying to work there, especially at the bakery dept.!
Pros
None at this time
Cons
Stress, Stress and Stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2016
A fast friendly place to work. Hardest part of the job was when there weren't stickers on items and you have to look them up.
Pros
Half hour lunch
Cons
Older equipment
Good work environment, had a good experience.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2016
A typical day consisted of filling stock, communicating with customers, managers, prioritizing which stock needed to be filled, reorganizing skids, facing isles and ends, creating end displays etc...
I learned good time management skills.
My co-workers were great.
Management was always organized.
Hardest part of my job was closing the store at night.
Most enjoyable part of my job was creating end cap displays.
Pros
Good workers
Cons
Random schedule
no fun at all
grocer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2016
its terrible, no chance of advancement at all. I haven't learned anything there. they do not treat co workers well. Very unsanitary.
Good Place to Work Full-Time
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 September 2015
Highland Farms is a rarity when it comes to retail. Very few places hire full-time staff exclusively, so obtaining a job at Highland Farms is a blessing in disguise and a lot of people take it for granted.

A typical day at work begins by being greeted by management as soon as you walk in the door or as soon as they see you. After changing into your uniform and punching in for shift, the rest of the shift involves assisting customers locate product and filling the shelves with product.

What I learned at Highland Farms is that knowing everything you can about your workplace and what it offers to customers (in this case, grocery products) can go a very long way in offering excellent customer service because customers will be able to locate product quickly.

Both management and co-workers are polite and are always there to help each other out when needed. Management, in particular, are very reasonable when it comes to personal requests, such as time off, hours of availability, etc. They are usually understanding and accommodating.

As with most retail and customer service jobs, both the best and worst parts of the job are the customers themselves. In general, most customers are polite, patient and understanding. It's always a bonus when assisting pleasant customers because they can make the day that much better and easier to work through. There are also a few customers that are near impossible to please no matter how good the service they are given is and there are a few who take product and don't pay for it. Overall, though, customers are a pleasure to interact with and
  more... since most customers are pleasant, they make you quickly forget the unpleasant ones.  less
Pros
Paid rest periods (excluding meal breaks); easygoing atmosphere; pleasant customers
Cons
The scheduling can be exhausting at times and for employees taking transportation, the shifts on the weekends can be a challenge as well.
One of the best grocery stores to shop at
Clerk (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 May 2015
The department I worked in has a great manager. Very agreeable and very straight forward. I learned how to work independently, but also how to work in a team, and how to lead that team.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Long stretches of no work to do
friendly work enviroment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  mississauga21 January 2014
working individually and with co - workers was a good work experience .
Would Never Work for Highland Farms ever again!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Location27 August 2013
In a very short time frame, the people seemed very disorganized and always complaining about the money they make or to much work.

The human resources gives you the benefit package not the greatest compared to other companies and provides no guidance.

The office enviroment had to many chiefs and not enough indians if you know what I mean. Everyone wanted to be someone with no hard work except complaining and looking out for their jobs.

In the grocery store the owners walk around over looking everything and if something is wrong they will scream.

They will not pay any over time and if you take breaks for doctor's or emergencies they will deduct your pay.

Good luck to all future employees be aware of your surroundings. If you really need a pay cheque this is a good place to start until another opportunity comes along.
Pros
Paid weekly no other pros
Cons
To many to list ... lol
learn new things
FT Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 June 2013
as a new immigrant, i have learnt a lots of new things here such as canadian way of communication, life style, different cultures etc. very tiring job with lots of responsiblity, tough rules and regulations. nice co workers. very flexible schedule. cannot afford to a second job with that job. financial security.
Pros
financial security, nice co workers
Cons
not very good schedule
Great Management
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2013
Nice place to work but it was hard to handle two small kids and the job.
Not a good place to work
Full time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 April 2013
This company has little respect for their employees, You are expected to give your 110% for 50% compensation. The owners are rude, the head cashier is always in a bad mood, you are not allowed to have a life. once you get the job your life is over or better yet you cannot get another because they set the work schedule so that its impossible to go find another job once you find out working for highland farm is not worth it.
There is a high turn over of employees specially at the cashier department, the head cashier has little or no respect for the girls working their shifts, if one cashier annoy her everyone gets it! she play favorite and those who happened to be in her good list then those girls are favored.
One thing for sure HIGHLAND farm is not worth it
Cons
no free lunches/ punchclock is far from the lunchroom

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highland Farms Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.