Highland Farms Inc. Employee Reviews

A day at Highland Farms
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2019
I have handled many transactions in highland farms in various departments including OLG at customer service desk, smart serve certified experience in wine and beer store and cafe, and chocolate shop as a front end cashier. I have been with the company for almost 3 years and now i am studying to be a Pharmacy Assistant. My customers are what brings a smile to my face and keeps me moving forward and motivated.
Productive and helping
Produce Trimmer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 April 2019
A typical day start with displaying tables with fresh produce/fruits.
Workplace culture is enjoyable.Most of the other employees are above 50+ and matured like me.The management always makes certain on selling Fresh produce/fruits etc. etc.,which is something we do not see in other grocery stores.
I learned trimming produces, setting up tables for fruit displays.Management and Manager is always there to assist you in case of doubt.
We work as a family/team here.
Not a place to improve skills
Baker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2019
Highland Farms gets everything frozen, nothing is made in house.
A typical day would be open boxes and finish baking the product.
It's fairly simple to work there but there wasn't a bakery manager at the time I worked there, and everyone wanted to do things their way which resulted in a very chaotic experience.
Owners and mansgement
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON21 February 2019
Looks like management are scared of the of loosing their job. Owner is disrespectful, always swearing at management and employees. Owner walking around every weekend all day looking at in everyone's buggy to see how much money he is making. Stopped going there a while ago. Don't even know why people even shop there.
Pros
Clean place
Cons
Bad owner and high prices
Horrible Place to Work
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2019
Highland Farms was a terrible place to work. In the couple of months that I was there I learned a lot about how they like to treat their employees. First of all the owners have no respect for their employees. 2 weeks before Christmas, they announced that it was now mandatory to work on boxing day, messing up the Christmas plans of many of the staff. They don't bother to learn your name and look down on you with their noses up in the air. You are also expected to work for free because they don't pay overtime. People don't take their breaks because there is too much work to do and they don't even get paid for it. The manager at the bakery (where I worked) was a completly rude and overall a mean human being. While I worked there I was constantly harassed over the littlest of things. I also noticed that they like to take advantage of their younger staff treating us as if we were below them. They don't even let you talk to your co-workers thus creating an unpleasant working atmosphere. Some people were very nice but the lack of respect from others outweighed the good. If you want to apply to work here I strongly suggest you don't.
Pros
Some nice people.
Cons
Literally everything.
Produce manager
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 January 2019
Very nice place to work for it they respect you and they car of you paid over time u choose your vocation people working there are nice managers are good people love my work there but they don’t paid me fair
Pros
Lunch discount
Cons
Regular hours
Toxic management from the owner on down
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 December 2018
Some great people working there, and a lot to be learned. Also they do hire full time, which is rare in supermarkets.
Other than that, it's a terrible place to work. They will treat you like dirt and expect you to like it. For minimum wage and useless benefits. After years of employment.
Pros
Full time
Cons
They don't care about labour laws or their employees generally
Customer Service
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON31 October 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with. It was a friendly and fun atmosphere, and I actually enjoyed going to work each morning.
I felt the leadership team was great as well. They knew all of their employees on a first name basis and tried to make those personal connections. I also enjoyed that fact that the office tried to do community outreach with local organizations.
One of the reasons I’m leaving is that I felt I was not challenged enough at the job. As a new employee in the working world, the company offered me a great opportunity for a good entry level position—one that I’ll always be grateful for. However, after being there for so many years, I felt I wasn’t able to reach my full potential because of a real lack of challenge. There was no room for advancement in the company. While I did enjoy working there and appreciate the skills I developed while with the company, I feel my skill set can be better utilized elsewhere, where my capabilities are more recognized, and there is the opportunity for growth.
Produce Dept
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario21 October 2018
probably the worst employment i have ever worked at get ready to get yelled at. Your co-workers are great but management is a joke. Not worth MIN WAGE
No respect for home life
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2018
I worked here a short time as they were not at all understanding of my home life and having young children. They were not at all willing to adjust schedules or accept minor availability restrictions. I also noticed many people working overtime and not being paid for it!! Very disappointed with my experience there... I never felt such a lack of understanding from an employer.
After 2 months they decided "i was not a good fit for the company" after I requested more closing shift and less day shifts due to child care and i had TRADED shifts 2 times for a closing shift. i didnt call in sick or anything just switched with someone and they absolutely did not like that at all. Unbelievable.
Pros
Mostly full time positions
Cons
no home / work life balance
Clean Environment
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 January 2018
Most of management was easy to work with and helpful, coworkers were great and helpful. Customers were kind. Hours were sporadic
and sometimes as a part timer I would work full time hours.
Pros
Clean Environment
Cons
Inconsistent Scheduling
nice place to work
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2017
It is a pleasant environment to work but there are not many possibilities to grow at work, , you deal with the public constantly and learn from different cultures
Pros
very friendly associates group
Cons
not room to work in the job
Productive, Busy but clean and friendly environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 October 2017
Good place to work, friendly environment. Customers are great. Staff there are helpful. Store is extremely clean, a lot of different types of produce. Great international selection of food.
a Challenging Job
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2017
Very challenging job. great benefits with a competitive salary.
I bet that you would enjoy the danger in doing a police work. You will learn how to investigate, make an arrest and making a report
Good company
Customer service /Head cashier/ Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2017
High quality grocery, good team.
Good team.
Friendly management.
The most enjoyable is the work I am doing on the daily basis.
Liked be in a good company
Work experience at Highland Farm
Payroll&Benefit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2017
I am the Payroll and Benefit Administrator at Highland Farm Inc, in charge of more than 300 people---both hourly and salary employee's weekly payroll administration.
given a 75 cent raise after 2 1/2 weeks
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 March 2017
after being started at a higher than expected rate for a warehouse order picker at the Matheson location. don't have to add much to add beyond that, since it's the first time my efforts have been acknowledged in that fashion in over 30 years in the work force that's seen plenty of 'pats on the back' for being a 'team player'.

my manager hands out tasks then gets out of the way so if you're someone who thrives in that type of environment, i wouldn't hesitate to sign on and see what you think.
Pros
no micro-managing, lots of hours
Cons
excessive inbound freight during short time spans
enjoy working with different people
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
i really like to work with different people . im a people person. As i have my previous customer service skills , i believe i am capable of working with the team and to increase of the value of your company.
Good Job
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 February 2017
It is a good job, we get along and it is balanced with work and home it is a pleasure. Not too many issues, schedualing good.
Positive and safe atmosphere
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 July 2016
It was very safe and bubble environment with amazing staff. I enjoy meeting customers needs by paying attention to detail and providing excellent customers service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highland Farms Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.