Highland Farms Inc.

Highland Farms Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada67 reviews
It was a great place to work really enjoyed it! Would love to work there again. The hours and managment were the best and always understanding! Never once did i not feel valued
Pros
Hours
Cons
Left cause of heath
Management swept r*pe culture under the rug. The owner is creepy. Everyone was constantly on edge. The pay is garbage. The work is way too stressful for the pittance of a salary. It broke my spirit so bad it ruined my relationship, mental health and person relationships because of all the anger.

Ownership dismissed the concerns of *dozens* of women who were sexually harassed and assaulted. The owner should be in prison. So many labour laws were broken.
 Supervise other cashiers on duty
 Handle cash and credit card transactions

 Manage break times for cashiers

 Train new employees

 Handle customer complaints
The management team is dreadful here. If you want to avoid feeling sucky after every shift, dont work for highland. They do not care about you. There is no room for any growth, no pay raises (not even 10 cents after 6 months). The environment created by the employees can be extremely toxic. People gossip and talk about each other in awful ways. It's just bad
Tell you the true was nice working there , but to me the salary is to little for the amount of work that u do o during our shift , I had a team player that was very nice environment to work .
Working at highland farms was a great experience the people were very friendly I learned a lot at how to collaborate with others and get the job done in a timely manner
Pros
Working with friendly coworkers
Cons
Working all sorts of hours
horrible place to work i dont know how the ministry of Labour hasn't went into that place and shut it down or why nobody has called the curse and swear at you the verbally abuse you verbally harass you push and grind you to the Bone force you to work stat holidays and when you quit the company they act like children.
HighlandFarms is a stop gap position. Company hasn’t given any raises to its employees in over 4 years while the cost of living has risen. No wage structure. The excuse is that minimum wage has gone up. Benefits are from 2007 rates fee guide. The gap between existing employees and new employees is minimal including management in comparison with regular employees ( clerks).
Not a very enriching place to work, as the owner does not share information or communicates any strategic direction. The owner is ill tempered, he yells at employees, does not consider employees needs and treats all employees very poorly. Turnover is very high.
I have handled many transactions in highland farms in various departments including OLG at customer service desk, smart serve certified experience in wine and beer store and cafe, and chocolate shop as a front end cashier. I have been with the company for almost 3 years and now i am studying to be a Pharmacy Assistant. My customers are what brings a smile to my face and keeps me moving forward and motivated.
A typical day start with displaying tables with fresh produce/fruits.
Workplace culture is enjoyable.Most of the other employees are above 50+ and matured like me.The management always makes certain on selling Fresh produce/fruits etc. etc.,which is something we do not see in other grocery stores.

I learned trimming produces, setting up tables for fruit displays.Management and Manager is always there to assist you in case of doubt.

We work as a family/team here.
Highland Farms gets everything frozen, nothing is made in house.
A typical day would be open boxes and finish baking the product.

It's fairly simple to work there but there wasn't a bakery manager at the time I worked there, and everyone wanted to do things their way which resulted in a very chaotic experience.
It is a good place to work, good environment, good team work, and I appreciate being able to work with autonomy. My immediate manager is great to work with.
Looks like management are scared of the of loosing their job. Owner is disrespectful, always swearing at management and employees. Owner walking around every weekend all day looking at in everyone's buggy to see how much money he is making. Stopped going there a while ago. Don't even know why people even shop there.
Pros
Clean place
Cons
Bad owner and high prices
Highland Farms was a terrible place to work. In the couple of months that I was there I learned a lot about how they like to treat their employees. First of all the owners have no respect for their employees. 2 weeks before Christmas, they announced that it was now mandatory to work on boxing day, messing up the Christmas plans of many of the staff. They don't bother to learn your name and look down on you with their noses up in the air. You are also expected to work for free because they don't pay overtime. People don't take their breaks because there is too much work to do and they don't even get paid for it. The manager at the bakery (where I worked) was a completly rude and overall a mean human being. While I worked there I was constantly harassed over the littlest of things. I also noticed that they like to take advantage of their younger staff treating us as if we were below them. They don't even let you talk to your co-workers thus creating an unpleasant working atmosphere. Some people were very nice but the lack of respect from others outweighed the good. If you want to apply to work here I strongly suggest you don't.
Pros
Some nice people.
Cons
Literally everything.
Very nice place to work for it they respect you and they car of you paid over time u choose your vocation people working there are nice managers are good people love my work there but they don’t paid me fair
Pros
Lunch discount
Cons
Regular hours
Some great people working there, and a lot to be learned. Also they do hire full time, which is rare in supermarkets.
Other than that, it's a terrible place to work. They will treat you like dirt and expect you to like it. For minimum wage and useless benefits. After years of employment.
Pros
Full time
Cons
They don't care about labour laws or their employees generally
I enjoyed the people I worked with. It was a friendly and fun atmosphere, and I actually enjoyed going to work each morning.
I felt the leadership team was great as well. They knew all of their employees on a first name basis and tried to make those personal connections. I also enjoyed that fact that the office tried to do community outreach with local organizations.

One of the reasons I’m leaving is that I felt I was not challenged enough at the job. As a new employee in the working world, the company offered me a great opportunity for a good entry level position—one that I’ll always be grateful for. However, after being there for so many years, I felt I wasn’t able to reach my full potential because of a real lack of challenge. There was no room for advancement in the company. While I did enjoy working there and appreciate the skills I developed while with the company, I feel my skill set can be better utilized elsewhere, where my capabilities are more recognized, and there is the opportunity for growth.
probably the worst employment i have ever worked at get ready to get yelled at. Your co-workers are great but management is a joke. Not worth MIN WAGE
I worked here a short time as they were not at all understanding of my home life and having young children. They were not at all willing to adjust schedules or accept minor availability restrictions. I also noticed many people working overtime and not being paid for it!! Very disappointed with my experience there... I never felt such a lack of understanding from an employer.
After 2 months they decided "i was not a good fit for the company" after I requested more closing shift and less day shifts due to child care and i had TRADED shifts 2 times for a closing shift. i didnt call in sick or anything just switched with someone and they absolutely did not like that at all. Unbelievable.
Pros
Mostly full time positions
Cons
no home / work life balance
Most of management was easy to work with and helpful, coworkers were great and helpful. Customers were kind. Hours were sporadic
and sometimes as a part timer I would work full time hours.
Pros
Clean Environment
Cons
Inconsistent Scheduling
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highland Farms Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9