Herman's Supply Company Employee Reviews

Anywhere but here!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 May 2019
I worked here for almost a year and the things I saw are mind blowing! Unless you are going to loose your house, do not work for this company. Even then, get out as soon as you can.

-threatened to fire warehouse employees, assistant store managers and drivers assistants that wouldn't sign a $5000 loan, forcing them to get there DZ truck licence. still don't have enough drivers......

-sending roof top loaders out with no harnesses for roof safety, or working at heights certificates.

-inside employees are expected to make 30 cold calls everyday to drum up business, do you like working in a call centre? (Store Managers 40 calls)

-There is more power in the hands of the $14/h secritay in head office than the managers throughout the company.

-making employees lie to customers about delivery times, service levels, and truck damages.

- JUST LOOK UP WHAT A CONVEYER TRUCK IS - oh and there newest one is a 1992.
Pros
Made some great long term friends, while complaining about the company
Cons
Everything besides making long term friends
Poorly run
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 March 2019
Was there for 6 years. Very hard to get raises. No respect for employees. You will have to buy your own gloves for work. And their ladders are usually broken or defective so bring your own
Pros
No weekend deliveries
Cons
Family run
Typical construction based company
Driver Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON22 February 2019
You typically load bundles on rooftops and do some yard work here and there . You spend most days on the road and a good driver makes/breaks the deal. Company policy’s and procedures are setup and designed to absolve company of all liabilities. Do not do anything unsafe or uncomfortable with as you bear the risk factor. Take your time follow all policy’s and procedures properly. You make next to minimum wage and are expected to preform as if your paid properly for the requirements of the job. If your desperate take the money and run don’t be superman or they will work you harder and tell you whatever you want to hear to keep you around. Take care of yourself, this company won’t do it for you.
Pros
Travel time, overtime, your driver
Cons
No PPE supplied, work-life balance during busy season, company policy’s, company procedures, upper management, organization, pay, not complying with employee standard act, reputation.
AZ driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 January 2019
If you like driving around in equipment that is beat and older than dirt.... then Hermans is the place for you........

I was told to carry an extra sheet of plywood because the truck leaked oil.... My response was "fix this piece of junk".......

I quit that day
Pros
You get to smell like asphalt forever
Cons
The equipment, the pay
Shipper
Shipper (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 June 2018
Great place to work. Supervisors treat everyone fairly and work hard themselves. The pay is good and it's steady work. Lots of potential for OT, and I love that. I load and unload trucks and help out customers, and sometimes even go out on a delivery. This is not a place for somebody who just wants to sit on their butts. I've seen to many guys like that and all they do is grumble and complain.
Pros
Good money and love the work
Cons
It is hard work but the day sure does go by fast
They Notice Hard Work and Offer Training
Employee (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON21 June 2018
This company notices hard work and offers training. You can reach out to HR if you want to move and grow in the company. Even if challenges at store, the guys at head office are nice.
Pros
Training
Great job, awesome company, even better people.
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 June 2018
I've worked for this company since October 2017. I have never seen more respect and encouragement in a workplace in all of my working life. When I started here, it didn't take long to realize how bad my previous jobs were. Everyone here was extremely welcoming from day 1, I received ample training for my position, and lots of support from upper management and co-workers through learning curves. I was used to working in companies that never gave any support to their employees and never solved problems - only let them get worse. This is the OPPOSITE with Herman's, if there are any issues, they are resolved very promptly, and everyone works as a team to do so. If you're a hard working employee and have a good attitude, it does NOT go unnoticed. For example, in under 2 months of working for them, I was offered (and did) to go with them to Texas for a paid trip to attend a very educational sales seminar. They are HUGE on educating their employees and even offer online courses for a plethora of topics. They care a lot about their employees, and pride themselves on helping their customers win. I've seen them bend over backwards to make customers happy.

An added bonus- They even started a year long fitness challenge to motive employees to be healthier and happier - lots of prizes for meeting your goals, health seminars etc. If you win, the prize at the end of the year... a trip for 2 to a Sandals resort!!! The support and motivation they give to be your best self carries outside of work hours into home life.

I love working here, it's one big family.
Pros
Great co-workers, lots of support, hard work doesn't go unnoticed, lots of perks
Cons
Summer is busy but busy is good! If you're scared of hard work and want to coast - don't apply.
Amazing atmosphere where you can prosper and grow!
Sales Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 June 2018
My time here with Herman's Supply Company has been nothing but amazing, they do expect hard work from you but you are rewarded & recognized for your efforts.
They are constantly providing options to educate yourself, grow financially and help you prosper within the company. They love to see their employee move through the "corporate ladder"; which is apparent as several of their Executive Management Team started at store level.
You work along side amazing Team Members and you never feel like you are going about it all alone. Herman's provides an amazing atmosphere where you can prosper and grow! They want everyone to succeed.
Pros
Very organzied, great work hours, amazing leadership
Cons
If you are not a hard worker nor have the want/drive to succeed, this might not be the place for you
Hard work won't be ignored!
Sales Support and Hunt Team (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 June 2018
I can honestly say, I've never worked in a better working environment.

I had spent a long while with a previous company where I began to feel my hard work was taken for granted and ideas were dismissed.

At Herman's, if you are motivated to put in more than what is required, you won't go unnoticed. I started at a store location and after a year had the chance to continue to grow in my role.

From there, I had the opportunity to transition to head office and work with a dynamic crew of individuals to build a department focused on prospecting.

I've learned many skills from multiple departments since then and continue to grow every day.

I never feel my dedication goes unappreciated now and this makes me want to strive to do the best I can every day.

The team atmosphere is nothing but motivating if you give the same back.
Pros
Room to grow if you put the work in
Cons
Not for people who want to coast
Revolving door
DZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 June 2018
Driving for these guys is horrible. I was their for 5 days and watched atleast someone quit each day. Job sucks really bad but he people here are nice. Everybody pretty much quit.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Sore back, low wage, and bad trucks
A lot of lies
Driver Assistant/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 June 2018
They lie. Right from the top, all the way down the ladder. They tell you what you want to hear, to work for them. But when you start working, you learn it was all smoke and mirrors. The company doesn't care about the general employees. One of the worst companies I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, poor management
worst I've ever worked for
az driver (Former Employee) –  az dz driver29 May 2018
this company is the wrost you will work for. breaking safty rules all day long and Head office is the WORST! they will fire you as soon as you say I'm not doing that!
Pros
you life is in your hands
Cons
you life is in your hands
Had good pay, doesn't anymore.
Driver's Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 May 2018
Management has no sense of what is required in the field. Other employees were great. In a typical day we would do multiple deliveries. I learned very little. Hardest part of the job was working an extra 3-5 hours after your work day was over.
Pros
loads of hours
Cons
hours are randomly assigned at the last minute
No benefits, Will lay off employees from Nov -February
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 April 2018
They lay off employees during the periods of November-February. Benefits don't start till 12 months but most employees will not make it that long. The work is intense which is fine but you're not compensated for it. If you want job security you will not have it here. Management writes most of the positive reviews which shows the desperate tactics they take to hire. There is a reason why the turnover rate is high.
Pros
you will get in amazing shape
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, working in terrible conditions where you can easily ruin work clothes and boots
Light at the End of Tunnel
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2018
To start with, the most amazing part of this company is it does not let you feel like you are a employee. It feels like a family.
Work is good and great Manager's to guide you through every process. You feel you are in safe hands.
Management takes time to make sure you are being noticed, acknowledged, appreciated.
Good challenging work. I work with great Management Staff who are willing to help and help you learn. Management cares about your career advancement and wants to help you succeed.
The mission is simple and clear, everyone is essentially working towards the same goal. One Task at a time.
HR, Operations and Sales Teams are all a pleasure to Work with.
Just an awesome work environment with awesome people.
You get what you give.
What you put into things is what you get out of them.

Looking Forward to what is in the Future !
Pros
Career Path Options, Attitude, Expanding, Great Atmosphere
Cons
Never have anything to Complain About
Great Work Culture
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON14 February 2018
During busy season it can get pretty hectic, but it balances out during the slow season. Fast paced environment with lots of help from all employees when needed. Management team is helpful and great co-workers. Long hours + days at time but great team to work with and everyone is very helpful.
Pros
Definitely room for advancement. great work culture. Good employees & management
Cons
Long hours during busy season
Team Atmosphere
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 December 2017
Day shift and no weekends makes for a perfect work/life balance. I never miss a sporting event or dinner! The work environment fosters a positive attitude and recognizes hard work. Management listens to ideas and values input. The team atmosphere makes every success so rewarding. The hardest part would be to always maintain attention to detail and organization so nothing is missed. The most enjoyable part is seeing the "domino effect" your hard work has for the company as a whole.
Pros
Positive environment where hard work, dedication and teamwork is rewarded.
Cons
Not for those who cannot "self start" or use creative thinking.
Numerous possibilities for financial & professional advancement.
Outside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 December 2017
Since starting with Herman's the guidance and leadership from management has been amazing. They are always willing to dedicate time and knowledge to allow you to succeed. Joining the company with little or no knowledge of the industry, they have given me the tools and resources to grow in my role.
Pros
Fast pace, daily iterations with a wide variety of companies & individuals, numerous possibilities for financial & professional advancement.
Cons
Some long days, driving for long periods, administrative tasks can be hard to stay on top of.
Outbound Sales Representative
Outbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 December 2017
Great place to work, very professional and organized environment. Friendly & knowledgeable staff & management. Working here has taught me a lot about roofing and exterior renovation. Hard work is acknowledged & rewarded. learning all roofing systems was intimidating at first but Herman's provides excellent training & product knowledge. Excellent place for a young working professional, lots of room for growth.
Pros
Friendly, knowledgeable, organized & professional
Cons
Lot's of room for growth!
Pricing and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 October 2017
I started with the company 4 years ago, in an entry level position and now manage pricing and sales for the company. Hard work does not go unnoticed and it is appreciated at every level. Management is great at identifying strengths and advancement from within is a common occurrence. Every company has it's issues and growing pains but Herman's is on the up because of our amazing staff. Excellent place to be challenged and advance!
Pros
Great team, competitive pay, massive potential for growth
Cons
No Nap time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herman's Supply Company. Our community is ready to answer.