Herman's Supply Company Employee Reviews

No benefits, Will lay off employees from Nov -February
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 April 2018
They lay off employees during the periods of November-February. Benefits don't start till 12 months but most employees will not make it that long. The work is intense which is fine but you're not compensated for it. If you want job security you will not have it here. Management writes most of the positive reviews which shows the desperate tactics they take to hire. There is a reason why the turnover rate is high.
Pros
you will get in amazing shape
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, working in terrible conditions where you can easily ruin work clothes and boots
Light at the End of Tunnel
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2018
To start with, the most amazing part of this company is it does not let you feel like you are a employee. It feels like a family.
Work is good and great Manager's to guide you through every process. You feel you are in safe hands.
Management takes time to make sure you are being noticed, acknowledged, appreciated.
Good challenging work. I work with great Management Staff who are willing to help and help you learn. Management cares about your career advancement and wants to help you succeed.
The mission is simple and clear, everyone is essentially working towards the same goal. One Task at a time.
HR, Operations and Sales Teams are all a pleasure to Work with.
Just an awesome work environment with awesome people.
You get what you give.
What you put into things is what you get out of them.

Looking Forward to what is in the Future !
Pros
Career Path Options, Attitude, Expanding, Great Atmosphere
Cons
Never have anything to Complain About
Amazing atmosphere where you can prosper and grow!
Sales Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 June 2018
My time here with Herman's Supply Company has been nothing but amazing, they do expect hard work from you but you are rewarded & recognized for your efforts.
They are constantly providing options to educate yourself, grow financially and help you prosper within the company. They love to see their employee move through the "corporate ladder"; which is apparent as several of their Executive Management Team started at store level.
You work along side amazing Team Members and you never feel like you are going about it all alone. Herman's provides an amazing atmosphere where you can prosper and grow! They want everyone to succeed.
Pros
Very organzied, great work hours, amazing leadership
Cons
If you are not a hard worker nor have the want/drive to succeed, this might not be the place for you
Great Work Culture
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON14 February 2018
During busy season it can get pretty hectic, but it balances out during the slow season. Fast paced environment with lots of help from all employees when needed. Management team is helpful and great co-workers. Long hours + days at time but great team to work with and everyone is very helpful.
Pros
Definitely room for advancement. great work culture. Good employees & management
Cons
Long hours during busy season
A lot of lies
Driver Assistant/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 June 2018
They lie. Right from the top, all the way down the ladder. They tell you what you want to hear, to work for them. But when you start working, you learn it was all smoke and mirrors. The company doesn't care about the general employees. One of the worst companies I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, poor management
Hard work won't be ignored!
Sales Support and Hunt Team (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 June 2018
I can honestly say, I've never worked in a better working environment.

I had spent a long while with a previous company where I began to feel my hard work was taken for granted and ideas were dismissed.

At Herman's, if you are motivated to put in more than what is required, you won't go unnoticed. I started at a store location and after a year had the chance to continue to grow in my role.

From there, I had the opportunity to transition to head office and work with a dynamic crew of individuals to build a department focused on prospecting.

I've learned many skills from multiple departments since then and continue to grow every day.

I never feel my dedication goes unappreciated now and this makes me want to strive to do the best I can every day.

The team atmosphere is nothing but motivating if you give the same back.
Pros
Room to grow if you put the work in
Cons
Not for people who want to coast
Lot's of room for growth!
Pricing and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 October 2017
I started with the company 4 years ago, in an entry level position and now manage pricing and sales for the company. Hard work does not go unnoticed and it is appreciated at every level. Management is great at identifying strengths and advancement from within is a common occurrence. Every company has it's issues and growing pains but Herman's is on the up because of our amazing staff. Excellent place to be challenged and advance!
Pros
Great team, competitive pay, massive potential for growth
Cons
No Nap time
Team Atmosphere
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 December 2017
Day shift and no weekends makes for a perfect work/life balance. I never miss a sporting event or dinner! The work environment fosters a positive attitude and recognizes hard work. Management listens to ideas and values input. The team atmosphere makes every success so rewarding. The hardest part would be to always maintain attention to detail and organization so nothing is missed. The most enjoyable part is seeing the "domino effect" your hard work has for the company as a whole.
Pros
Positive environment where hard work, dedication and teamwork is rewarded.
Cons
Not for those who cannot "self start" or use creative thinking.
Numerous possibilities for financial & professional advancement.
Outside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 December 2017
Since starting with Herman's the guidance and leadership from management has been amazing. They are always willing to dedicate time and knowledge to allow you to succeed. Joining the company with little or no knowledge of the industry, they have given me the tools and resources to grow in my role.
Pros
Fast pace, daily iterations with a wide variety of companies & individuals, numerous possibilities for financial & professional advancement.
Cons
Some long days, driving for long periods, administrative tasks can be hard to stay on top of.
AZ driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 January 2019
If you like driving around in equipment that is beat and older than dirt.... then Hermans is the place for you........

I was told to carry an extra sheet of plywood because the truck leaked oil.... My response was "fix this piece of junk".......

I quit that day
Pros
You get to smell like asphalt forever
Cons
The equipment, the pay

Want to know more about Herman's Supply Company?

Ask a question
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa20 September 2017
If you have the willingness to follow the training and sales steps, humility to learn from your mistakes and accept constructive criticism, and the ability to push yourself to become a great sales person, this company is a wonderful one to work for.
Upper management is great. Always supportive and willing to help. Yes, it is a sales driven company, so it can be competitive which makes it not suitable to all people. But if you're good at your job, and showing improvement, the opportunity to advance is huge.
Training is on-going and very thorough, and it's paid off a lot with all of the knowledge that I've gained. The best part of working for this company is knowing you're not just a number.
Everyone knows everyone in this company, and your voice is heard when changes need to be made. I know I'll be with Herman's for a long time.
Pros
Casual environment and very short Commute
Cons
Can get a little slow in the winter months
Had good pay, doesn't anymore.
Driver's Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 May 2018
Management has no sense of what is required in the field. Other employees were great. In a typical day we would do multiple deliveries. I learned very little. Hardest part of the job was working an extra 3-5 hours after your work day was over.
Pros
loads of hours
Cons
hours are randomly assigned at the last minute
Employee
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Unkown27 July 2017
Because the company can't find and or keep good employees, they overwork and overload the ones they have. Uppermanagemt has no idea or no care what employees on the front lines are doing on a daily basis. This causes pressure on all employees to do more and quicker. They are demanding $35 an hour worth of work for $17.
Tools needed to complete the job correctly are not provided like, gloves, work boots, forklifts, hammers, harnesses, and trucks that are safe to be on the road.
They say good benifits, but don't tell you it's after a year! They say good pay, but don't tell you that a 50 hour work week is the norm! And they also don't mention that half the work force gets laid off every November!
Probably all reasons I'm looking hard for a new job!
Pros
pay check is there every Monday, made some life long friends
Cons
Overworked, Underpaid, bad management team
Great job, awesome company, even better people.
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 June 2018
I've worked for this company since October 2017. I have never seen more respect and encouragement in a workplace in all of my working life. When I started here, it didn't take long to realize how bad my previous jobs were. Everyone here was extremely welcoming from day 1, I received ample training for my position, and lots of support from upper management and co-workers through learning curves. I was used to working in companies that never gave any support to their employees and never solved problems - only let them get worse. This is the OPPOSITE with Herman's, if there are any issues, they are resolved very promptly, and everyone works as a team to do so. If you're a hard working employee and have a good attitude, it does NOT go unnoticed. For example, in under 2 months of working for them, I was offered (and did) to go with them to Texas for a paid trip to attend a very educational sales seminar. They are HUGE on educating their employees and even offer online courses for a plethora of topics. They care a lot about their employees, and pride themselves on helping their customers win. I've seen them bend over backwards to make customers happy.

An added bonus- They even started a year long fitness challenge to motive employees to be healthier and happier - lots of prizes for meeting your goals, health seminars etc. If you win, the prize at the end of the year... a trip for 2 to a Sandals resort!!! The support and motivation they give to be your best self carries outside of work hours into home life.

I love working here, it's one big family.
Pros
Great co-workers, lots of support, hard work doesn't go unnoticed, lots of perks
Cons
Summer is busy but busy is good! If you're scared of hard work and want to coast - don't apply.
They Notice Hard Work and Offer Training
Employee (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON21 June 2018
This company notices hard work and offers training. You can reach out to HR if you want to move and grow in the company. Even if challenges at store, the guys at head office are nice.
Pros
Training
Revolving door
DZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 June 2018
Driving for these guys is horrible. I was their for 5 days and watched atleast someone quit each day. Job sucks really bad but he people here are nice. Everybody pretty much quit.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Sore back, low wage, and bad trucks
Outbound Sales Representative
Outbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 December 2017
Great place to work, very professional and organized environment. Friendly & knowledgeable staff & management. Working here has taught me a lot about roofing and exterior renovation. Hard work is acknowledged & rewarded. learning all roofing systems was intimidating at first but Herman's provides excellent training & product knowledge. Excellent place for a young working professional, lots of room for growth.
Pros
Friendly, knowledgeable, organized & professional
worst I've ever worked for
az driver (Former Employee) –  az dz driver29 May 2018
this company is the wrost you will work for. breaking safty rules all day long and Head office is the WORST! they will fire you as soon as you say I'm not doing that!
Pros
you life is in your hands
Cons
you life is in your hands
Lots of Room for Advancement
Management/Supervision (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 May 2017
Herman's has been a great opportunity to learn a lot, work hard, and grow.

The job can be very demanding, physically, or mentally, but I came in one position, worked hard, and grew into other positions. Let you manager know that you want to grow and do more, take it upon yourself to learn more about the industry, and you can go far.
Pros
Benefits after 3 months, room for growth, technologically advanced.
There is a feeling of pride to work for a growing company over the past decade in the face of tough ecconomic times.
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 September 2017
I have worked for Herman's for the past 12+ years and enjoy the ability to come home to my family every week night and to enjoy "Sunday's" off for personal / family time. Herman's allows me the opportunity to work with and serve the local roofing companies / businesses as well as the home owners in a 'Customer Service" capacity. I am impressed with the company's commitment to improve service as that is our strength in the face of stiff competition. The rest of Herman's team is also committed to working at the best pace with positive results. We may not be perfect but we will always strive for perfection. My job satisfaction comes from making our customers happy by handling their concerns, orders and projects with care and accuracy. I will continue to work at honoring the company motto "Helping our Customers Win!" every day.
Pros
Working close to home and steady days
Cons
Long hours and no vacation time during the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herman's Supply Company. Our community is ready to answer.