Herd North America Employee Reviews

Productive, growing company
Payroll & Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 July 2019
Growing company, excellent place to work. They face the same challenge all companies have, is finding like minded employees, employees who want to actually work. Managers who can capitalize on the skills of their employees without being threatened by them.
Stressful, Disorganized, Poorly Managed Company
Management (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 February 2019
Don't even consider working at Herd. They are a company that is run by bad people, who are bad at running a company. There is no stability, the company's direction changes on the whims of management, and the politics are crazy. The culture is toxic, depressing, and as much as they say they're entrepreneurial, that's just how they justify all the crazy tail chasing that they do. I hated being their most days, then they hired a new president and I started hating every day. I'm pretty sure this is the worst employer in Manitoba.

Respect yourself enough to say no to this company. They are a terrible place to work.
Pros
Some of the people in the office were pretty fun to work with.
Cons
The culture, company, management, and politics
I dont recommend
Tig welder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2019
Find other employment if you can, they are fast to get rid of you if you miss a day or two. Management is poor, very poor, they have no idea how to run a crew, if you want to work in fear, go there, they need to unionize, it's that bad
Pros
Free pizza once a month, carrot in front if the donkey
Cons
Management on the floor are not educated, no Red Seal supervisors, i learnt in my garage mentality
No direction, high turnover
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 November 2018
The company is always in a state of transition. Unqualified employees are put into leadership positions. Almost no communication between departments. Constant bickering between day and night shift.

Deserving employees are told to do more regardless if unreasonable quotas are passed. Overtime is essentially forced, even when there's no work.

Toxic environment, unhappy employees, rotating management, quality of product non-existant.

Office reviews and Shop reviews should be considered separately.
Pros
Office might be nice
Cons
Bad place to work
Great culture that values people over profit
Director of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2018
I gained a lot of experience that I can take to my next job. The HR, production, sales and engineering managers take their jobs seriously and do whatever they can for their employees.
I had fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2018
I spent a year at HERD as a temporary Admin Assistant and HR Assistant. My time at HERD was amazing, all employees were friendly and supportive. As the assistant to the HR coordinator we used our resources as efficiently as possible and found the department to be competent and adaptable. It was a good year!
Pros
Cool people, great environment.
Cons
Due to the nature of the work there wasnt much room for advancement.
Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2018
Herd is a great place to work. There is friendly people working beside you and above you. If you do your job as expected then you will get paid accordingly. if you just want a free paycheck and don't want to put forth any effort then stay clear. They have a owner that truly cares about his people and his product reputation. the owner is not all about profits and is willing to invest in new equipment like a Laser and Break press. I have worked at bigger companies and it is always about turning profits. You are just a number. At Herd they truly care about your well being and how happy you are at work.
In summery if you want a career and not just a paycheck work at Herd.
Pros
Owner cares. Pay is good.
Cons
transitioning leadership.
Comfortable work environment
Sales/Marketing (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2018
This is a growing company with a lot of plans for the future so there are a lot of continuous changes in positions but the staff/management are friendly and understanding people who, in my experience, seem to have your back.

If you are a hard-working team player with a good attitude there is no reason for you to be unhappy here.

Salaries seem fair, they provide monthly lunches and try to show everyone their appreciation. Over-all this is a relaxed, respectable and positive office environment.
Pros
People, Over-all environment
Cons
Various changing duties
Bad job
Aluminum Welder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 December 2017
My review of Herd is not going to be so great, though the supervisor and the staff on night shift are great to work with, their policies are out of whack and their staff are underpaid.
Pros
Occasional staff lunches, decent night supervisor/staff to work with
Cons
long hours, backlogged work orders, sometimes next to no work
Better workplace than most
Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 October 2017
I am rather surprised at some of the reviews here, they seem very retaliatory but hard to know why they feel that way. Here is what I do know.

Management have all been there for 2 yrs or more, except 1. That 1 manager role has changed 3 times in 2 years, until recently it seems they just promoted someone from within even though they may not have had the managerial or leadership needed. A couple of managers have changed roles but are still managers. Some of them have been there since the company was founded. The Senior Management which is the owner and two others, have a lot of experience and seem to be taking the company in the right direction.

They pay well but they expect you to earn it. They have been going through changes in structure and even how they operate but nothing dramatic over the last 2 years from what I have seen. I would also add, again from my point of view, that there has been a a few constant complainers who see everything as negative and wrong but offer no real positive solutions. Most of those people are no longer there so that may make a better environment.

I have seen Senior Management go out of their way to help people, I'd say they care very much. I would also add that I have seen employees take advantage of their good nature and not really have the companies best interest at heart. I have seen people released from their jobs but, from my point of view they seemed to have done it to themselves, though I don't know all the facts so I am just expressing my opinion.

Training is adequate but could be a lot better. There are a lot of
  more... things you need to know that are hard to find or not documented which makes the job tougher. I hear they are working on solutions for that, but for now I would say that the roles require us to be resourceful and creative, which I like.

I would recommend this as a place to work if you are willing to work hard, be positive, give honest feedback to management, be somewhat self motivated, resourceful and actually care about your role or job.

No company is perfect, but I feel they are above average from employers I have seen over the years. I also think you will get out of your experience what you put into it. An old boss of mine told me that it is a 2-way street, can't expect the company to be better if you do not do your part to make it better. I find that to be true anywhere, but especially there.
Pros
People, Management, Challenging
Cons
Fast Paced, training and undocumented processes
Toxic workplace culture. Senior management care little about employees
Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 August 2017
Employees are treated as disposable, no job security. Little value placed on employees thoughts/concerns. Pay well, but not worth in long run. With the exception of 1 person, who resigned as a manager, left the company and later returned in a non managerial position,100% of all managers, sales, customer service and administration positions have turned over through firings and resignations over the past 12 - 18 months.
Positions in job the posting sound really good, and they talk a good game during the interview, but the reality is much different.
Steer clear of this company if you can.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits
Cons
Poorly managed, no job security, lousy culture
Poor Management
Office (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 July 2017
if logistic dept. can not do the job responsibilities what they supposed to do (as per job description), they will pass it to someone else.
Unprofessional Receptionist
Stressful place to work
People talk against one another's back
Lack of proper management training
Low employee morale
Pros
Good Pay, free employee lunch-first wednesday of the month.
Cons
Worst company management- Politics
Great Local Company
Territory Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2017
There lots of room for advancement, and I had loved the company. If it wasn't for the downfall of the oil and gas sector I would still be employed with them and would probably finished my career with Herd.
Excellent organisation.
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2017
Great opportunities for advancement, solid management, innovative product, fun and engaged team, outstanding corporate relationships and community involvement.
Ambitious company in need of direction.
Logistics and Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2017
An enjoyable place to work but lacking in consistency. Management is in a state of transition, this results in changes in who you report to and the objectives you are given. Open communication is essential in order to thrive in this business.
Pros
friendly staff, good salary
Cons
Poor stability
The company has no direction.
Sales Development (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2016
Turn over was high for my entire tenure, with company changing directions like the wind.

Watched skilled people relieved of their duties, while incompetent people are treated like saints.

Stay clear, they'll chew you up and spit you out, without cause.