Herc Rentals

Herc Rentals Employee Reviews

Canada66 reviews

equipmentbenefitgoodlongcompanyemployeestafflot

Great Place

Was a great place to work with great people to work with. Some headaches with different branches and not following procedures, but that's with every company. Cannot give it 4 stars as I was one of the unlucky ones to be laid-off when HERC rentals centralized everything in the states.

Pros

Bbqs, Good group, Rrsp

Just another numbers company

All that matters is the numbers. They don’t care what time you work until if you have after work plans you’ll end up canceling them. It’s a do more with less company.

Insights into Herc Rentals

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Only numbers matter, not you or your mental health!

First off I will say the compensation (when things are busy) is great... And that's where it ends unfortunately. This is a company that is never truly happy with performance. On one hand you are killing it in an area, but they are quick to point out, often times in a public forum, where you aren't doing something else. At the end of the day the only thing that matters to management is if the numbers on the spreadsheet look good so they get their bonus. You have been warned!

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Only numbers matter, always a "but" for every "good job", expect above and beyond even outside of job scope

Poor management, no job security, constant branch closures

In the 7 years I worked there I had 6 different branch managers, they closed two stores in New Brunswick and laid off multiple employees at my location and not only that closed every store in the Quebec region. Stressful to say the least. There was a do more with less mentality

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor management, stressful, no support. Just a number

Many changes.

Probably a better place now(EDM) I actually liked to work at HERC former Hertz Equipment Rentalsuntil people were hired who had ties to management and were pleased and favorized. Good pay and work live balance.HR is a bunch of Hippocrates!

Don't work here you will regret it.

Management doesn't listen to staff about concerns,poor pay, only cares about the bottom line not the staff. Expected to do way more than than your job title, example I was a shipper and I was expected to also do the mechanics job for the mechanic and only get paid for shipping while they did nothing and got paid for it. As I was doing their job I was also expected to do mine at the same time. VERY STRESSFUL. By the time that I quit I had a lot of hate for the manager and some of the staff.

Pros

Get to run lots of different equipment.

Cons

Horrible manager and some of the staff. Not valued as an employee, poor wages, etc.

Used to be a good company to work for

Since the split from Hertz and new owners and all the restructuring done everything went downhill. They only care about the numbers and money of course. A lot of good people left already and chose to take their knowledge and experience somewhere else.

Best job I had, until May 2020

Place was good to me, then new Manager changed my shift for the reason of night shift, that never happened, then the reason was too align everybodys shift, that kinda also never happened, company still has Mon-Fri, 7-7, 4-10s and 5-4, my shift was 14-14 and that was the only one deleted, then the reason was after 12 days worked you become less productive, after this excuse I figured the writing was on the wall. I fought for understanding but it never came so it forced me to look for employment elsewhere. This was supposed to be my retirement job but a shift change altered my plans. Company has had some difficult decisions to make with the loss of some big contracts and stiff competition. Wages were cut and long term employees were looked upon as financial liabilities rather than assets. Corporate has a great influence on decisions made in the region and sometimes not sure if they have the FTM Branch best interests in mind. Unfortunately my situation left a horrible taste in my mouth but enjoyed the work and money was good. I understand the moves made with finances and staff realignment but my shift never affected any of this in any way, shape or form. Union job and none of the corporate benefits apply, however Manitoba Blue Cross was pretty good. No sick days though. Fantastic co-worker group, made life long friends during my 13+ years there. I would recommend taking a job there but be wary as changes are made abruptly. If they can secure a couple more contracts things will get better. Just a side note to any managers that read this. Make your offer par to the current -

Pros

Co-workers helpful, money is fair for the work.

Cons

Changes are wearing everybody down, moral needs a boost.

Management have no skills!!

Place is falling apart due to poor management, they worry about quantity rather then quality, any new hires are promised the world, but soon figures out the real deal. Toxic and stressful place to work, extremely unorganized. They have no respect for long term reliable employees.

Pros

Salary, shift

Cons

Stressful, non rewarding, only worried about quantity not quality.

Terrible place to work

Company is very uncaring of employees, nobody enjoys working there!You mean nothing to them it is all about the company making money not the health or wellbeing of the employees.

Management does not care about anyone but themselves

This is a small poorly run company, that is overflowing with incompetence. They do however enjoy comparing themselves to the larger rental outfits. They are very management heavy and management centric. The workers that are out there getting their hands dirty are treated as a distraction and an unfortunate necessity to the management's daily routine.

Pros

They have a nice selectional of coffee at the coffee machine.

Cons

Management, management, management

Pretty poor work environment

Very poor work environment. Lot of back stabbing . Very rude dispatchers . Camp was good they will fire you for anything if you cross the wrong person . I quit and was not fired because they decided to change my schedule from 7 on 7 off to 4 on 3 off . It was a take it or leave it attitude .

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

No union representation at all . They fired a guy and the union did not even show up .

schedule and accommodation where good

Management was good, but I got laid off after 3 months. The company should hire more local people, instead of out of province or far southern cities.

Pros

7on 7off all days, good work life balance

Cons

Job security was not good.

Better then expected!

I looked to HERC RENTALS at first as a place to do an unpaid practicum for college credits, (Logistics and Warehouse Management). Within minutes of talking with their Canada wide recruiter about a position they had open as a Class 1 driver in town I knew this is a place I needed to be a part of. So far they have bent over backward to make me feel at home and part of the team, going over the top in training, (meaningful stuff not the sit in front of the computer and select A,B,C stuff). I haven't even finished all the training and I feel like I can retire here... Most of the employees I have meet and spoken with have been here 10+ years and have no thoughts of moving on... I will up date this review in the future, but so far so good!!

Pros

Great people, Good Training, Clear and to the point Introduction to the company and what is expected from you and from them!

Cons

The steps on getting hired are a little mixed up, probable because the head office is in the USA Florida I believe.

upper management needs work

Branch management will say one thing while the upper management will do something different. Despite being advised of job security once you pass your probation period, there is no job security and you can be let go for any imaginable reason, like being there less time than another who has worse job performance.

Great

Great company. I had a woman manager for a boss. My first ever. She was a precedent it was no doing things the old ways did everything by the book safety was number one home work life balance was very important and it was a great company to work for best job I've ever had

construction rentals

fast paced and phone rings a lot.....a lot of standing...work with construction guys and lots of dyi….good supervisor while I was there....close to my home in etobicoke

Peace Of Mind.

Workplace culture is very good. Learn alot. Positive attitude. Management is very friendly & always keep on eye your life balance. Hardest part of the job when customer not responding on jobsite.

Changes abound, with no clear mindset

The company is going through many changes, making for a confusing, sometimes unsupported atmosphere. Middle and upper management are only concerned with the numbers, nothing more. Support staff great, but unfortunately lacking from middle and senior management.

Very chaotic and stressful environment

Company was going through alot of changes and trying to do everything at once. They have turned all staff into numbers and everyone is replaceable atmosphere.

Would go back if i needed to

I had a new van while working there. They care about the image. The equipment is turned over every 4 years so your not not working on old outdated things. Lots of training as well.

Pros

Lots of new equipment

Cons

The incompetent people are promoted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herc Rentals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement